Menu

Ignore this thread!

I don't own any china either. We can't have nice things.

We finished all the schoolwork I had planned for today. Now the boys are picking up* their playroom and I am having a break.

*There is very little picking up happening. It looks and sounds a lot more like playing in the playroom. This is not a hill I'm going to die on.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Trigger warning!!

Reported!!

EdPo!

Today is the 235th Anniversary of Cornwallis's surrender to Washington at Yorktown, effectively ending the War for Independence. (I refuse to call it the Revolutionary War. It was not a revolution in any way. It was a Grown-up Group of Colonies cutting the Apron Strings. )

• Like 6

I'm going to go with the crowd and say if people want special sides, they can bring them. 

That being said - I wouldn't be hosting a family with a newborn. I'm selfish that way.

Also, Cracker Barrel has a pretty darn good Thanskgiving dinner. We ordered one year when our Thanksgiving plans were changed last minute. It wasn't mom's Thanksgiving food, but it was still really good. 

• Like 5

I woke up from my nap yesterday with the beginnings of a cold. It's hitting full force today. 

Currently: 
diffusing Thieves like the plague is at the door 
eating soup with enough garlic to kill a vampire

using SinuOregano (a sinus spray with oregano oil - it makes you wish you were dead) 

What else can I do to kill this thing? With my teaching job, I really can't cancel and I really need this to be short lived. 

**Basically, if I don't kill this thing, it's going to drop to my chest and turn into bronchitis. Happens all the time and there is no time for that. So, I need to have that not happen. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

I woke up from my nap yesterday with the beginnings of a cold. It's hitting full force today. 

Currently: 

using SinuOregano (a sinus spray with oregano oil - it makes you wish you were dead) 

What else can I do to kill this thing? With my teaching job, I really can't cancel and I really need this to be short lived. 

**Basically, if I don't kill this thing, it's going to drop to my chest and turn into bronchitis. Happens all the time and there is no time for that. So, I need to have that not happen. 

Take shots of elderberry syrup every hour.

• Like 2

I just got back from a second hand clothing store with a total seasonal score for Youngest. Given how many thrift stores I have visited this week, I am relieved.  I also picked up a navy blazer coat for younger ds for $8.  That would've been helpful for the wedding a few weeks ago, but we are now properly attired for anything else that may come up........

I am a bit worried that we may be attending a funeral for an elderly relative this winter.  We have a few that aren't doing well. :( 

• Like 2

I libraried.

As far as the cold--don't know. I babied mine and it still ate me up. Since I usually kick colds out within days of getting them, this year's cold really was a monster.

ETA: It's the Chicken-Soup-For-The-Killer-Cold Booyah!

Seriously, feed yourself well, cancel any and all stress you can avoid and rest. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

If I had a squillion dollars right now, I'd commission a little stone house to be built up in the woods behind my house and that's where I'd go to do all my writing, drawing, and thinking. And possibly sleeping, because I for sure can't get any naps in this house!

• Like 5

How can we do less housework? We've decided this is something that needs to be addressed. Ideas so far:

-No more dishes. Everything in the dishwasher. 

-Buy a stupid roomba knockoff (we vacuum everyday because Matt's a princess has asthma). We have one picked out and I think I'll ask for GCs towards it for Christmas.

-Reevaluate what we do and what the kids could be doing.

-Do chores less frequently but more thoroughly.

• Like 2

I went to a fabulous Thanksgiving once at one of Matt's cousin's house that was fabulously orchestrated. Mom made turkey and ham while everyone else brought assigned dishes. The food was set out on the counter while everyone went through in a line like at a potluck. The children ate off of paper plates and kids over 12 were assigned dish duty in a rotation. Mom sent leftovers home in styrofoam togo boxes. Everyone went home with clean dishes and everyone put out the minimal amount of work. It was beautiful. There were at least 80 people there.

• Like 5

Paige. Oh KALE no.

I find never getting out of pjs and sporting a haggard, distracted look gives relatives a more realistic idea of my post partum capabilities.

You already know what you are making for Thanksgiving. Milk. For the baby. Everyone else can figure out the other stuff.

:hurray:

That's right - threaten them with KALE!! :D

• Like 5

Take shots of elderberry syrup every hour.

1) that stuff is dang expensive or at least it is in my little town. $21.99  :crying: 

2) I bought some. 

3) It tastes like prune syrup. 

I spent too much at the health food store. I got elderberry syrup and SinuOregano spray. Mine expired in 1/16 and has lost it's potency. How do I know? My nasal cavity didn't scream in sheer agony when I sprayed it in. I can tell that the new bottle is working. 

It burns! It burns us! 

• Like 7

I went to a fabulous Thanksgiving once at one of Matt's cousin's house that was fabulously orchestrated. Mom made turkey and ham while everyone else brought assigned dishes. The food was set out on the counter while everyone went through in a line like at a potluck. The children ate off of paper plates and kids over 12 were assigned dish duty in a rotation. Mom sent leftovers home in styrofoam togo boxes. Everyone went home with clean dishes and everyone put out the minimal amount of work. It was beautiful. There were at least 80 people there.

We never have 80 people, but that's how we do it in my family. 

• Like 2

Currently: 

Time to visit a doctor for some antibiotics?  If the other stuff isn't doing the trick....

How can we do less housework? We've decided this is something that needs to be addressed. Ideas so far:

-No more dishes. Everything in the dishwasher.

I have been working on this for a couple years now. It's going pretty well. My family understands that when I get cranky over dishes not put in the dishwasher, it's a walk in the park compared to my reaction when the dishwasher is not run and emptied. on. schedule. (It is run after lunch and emptied before dinner. It's the only schedule that can be accomplished consistantly. Running it overnight and emptying in the morning never works for us.)

• Like 1

I just got back from a second hand clothing store with a total seasonal score for Youngest. Given how many thrift stores I have visited this week, I am relieved.  I also picked up a navy blazer coat for younger ds for $8.  That would've been helpful for the wedding a few weeks ago, but we are now properly attired for anything else that may come up........

I am a bit worried that we may be attending a funeral for an elderly relative this winter.  We have a few that aren't doing well. :(

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I mis-read this at first, and wondered where you live, that there would be not one, but at least two stores selling nothing but gloves and mittens (hand clothing stores).

#sillyeyes

• Like 2

Time to visit a doctor for some antibiotics?  If the other stuff isn't doing the trick....

It's only been a day. I'm going to try the stuff first. But, I know myself. If I don't hit it hard and fast, I will be at the dr on Monday. :( It's usually 3 days as a head cold, then it drops to my chest and I'm dealing with far worse and for longer. 

If I had a squillion dollars right now, I'd commission a little stone house to be built up in the woods behind my house and that's where I'd go to do all my writing, drawing, and thinking. And possibly sleeping, because I for sure can't get any naps in this house!

When I was in Norway I got to see the estate of Edward Grieg - he had this little red shed/cabin with a view of a little lake where he would do his composing. So peaceful!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g190502-d246104-i45422161-Troldhaugen_Edvard_Grieg_Museum-Bergen_Hordaland_Western_Norway.html

• Like 5

I have been working on this for a couple years now. It's going pretty well. My family understands that when I get cranky over dishes not put in the dishwasher, it's a walk in the park compared to my reaction when the dishwasher is not run and emptied. on. schedule. (It is run after lunch and emptied before dinner. It's the only schedule that can be accomplished consistantly. Running it overnight and emptying in the morning never works for us.)

I want to put everything in the dishwasher including pots, pans and knives. Remember when I said I've been nauseated since my first pregnancy? I rarely do dishes which means it always falls on Matt. That wouldn't be that big of a deal except that he does dishes every night. He's tired and doesn't want to anymore. I should probably have the kids start loading the dishwasher as well. Mary has been too short until recently. Good call!

It's only been a day. I'm going to try the stuff first. But, I know myself. If I don't hit it hard and fast, I will be at the dr on Monday. :( It's usually 3 days as a head cold, then it drops to my chest and I'm dealing with far worse and for longer.

Don't forget to do hydrogen peroxide in your ears. It might not work for this virus, but at least your ears will be clean. :D

• Like 2

I want to put everything in the dishwasher including pots, pans and knives. Remember when I said I've been nauseated since my first pregnancy? I rarely do dishes which means it always falls on Matt. That wouldn't be that big of a deal except that he does dishes every night. He's tired and doesn't want to anymore. I should probably have the kids start loading the dishwasher as well. Mary has been too short until recently. Good call!

Yes - everything goes in with the occassional exception of a too-large pot or pan. Most everything can fit and gets clean. However, we have a new fancy Bosch that has a huge capacity AND gets dirty dishes actually clean. Our old dishwasher wouldn't even fit our plates and couldn't get a water cup clean. :D That makes a big difference.

• Like 2

We used to fit 40-50 people in my grandma’s house at Thanksgiving. We always grabbed dinner and dessert at the same time bc it was such a chore to weave your way back through the crowd. The first homeschool potluck I went to I unthinkingly did the same. The organizer made some rather huffy comments in her “welcoming address†about how SOME people had already started on dessert. Ok then, didn’t realize other families don’t do that. Also last homeschool potluck.

Wow - she must have been worried about not getting a brownie! :nopity:

• Like 3

1) that stuff is dang expensive or at least it is in my little town. $21.99  :crying: 

2) I bought some. 

3) It tastes like prune syrup. 

I spent too much at the health food store. I got elderberry syrup and SinuOregano spray. Mine expired in 1/16 and has lost it's potency. How do I know? My nasal cavity didn't scream in sheer agony when I sprayed it in. I can tell that the new bottle is working. 

It burns! It burns us! 

Wow! Do you want to learn how to make some? I think I paid $4 for my dried berries. https://realfoodrn.com/homemade-elderberry-syrup/

• Like 2

When I was in Norway I got to see the estate of Edward Grieg - he had this little red shed/cabin with a view of a little lake where he would do his composing. So peaceful!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g190502-d246104-i45422161-Troldhaugen_Edvard_Grieg_Museum-Bergen_Hordaland_Western_Norway.html

Humph. She gets to see Riders in the Sky, and she's been to Edward Grieg's house. You lucky, lucky woman, you!

• Like 1

A friend of mine is in Norway now. She's at some kind of yarn festival.
  • Like 1