Menu

Ignore this thread!

I love lemon bars!! That shouldn't too hard to put together.

Ooooooh, a Lemon Bar Booya/h!! That's the best kind!!

So far I've had to tutor him in how to simply collect egg yolks (crack egg into pan, scoop out yolk with bare hand) and how not to zest your knuckles when removing the zest from the lemons. He's growling and he hasn't done with one lemon yet.

• Like 2

Provide them with gunny sacks.  They are quite versatile. 

But too itchy to wear on a regular basis. I was thinking nice cotton tunics, knee length or there about, with a loin cloth for hot days. But I couldn't get a buy in.

Now DH is fussing about having to juice the lemons. This is good for his soul.

• Like 3

But too itchy to wear on a regular basis. I was thinking nice cotton tunics, knee length or there about, with a loin cloth for hot days. But I couldn't get a buy in.

Make your dh make gluten free yakisoba for me. 

Grrrowlllll.

OK - I'm going to go chop vegetables.  But I won't like it.  I bet that a pet shark would chop them up for me lickety split. 

• Like 3

So. . . I opened the crisper and there in a plastic bag was the latest vegetables that dh bought and never told me about so of course I never cooked them.  (And heaven forbid that he actually decide to cook them. . . .)  So I pick up the bag with the tips of my fingers to avoid the nastiness and the stupid bag breaks open all over my newly mopped kitchen floor.  (I  need Spudz to swear for me now.)  I have chopped the (fresh non-spoiled veggies) and have mopped the floor.  Now I'm waiting for the water to boil so that I can cook the buckwheat noodles. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

He's made the lemon curd and is straining it with less than the usual amount of mild profanity that seasons his cooking. Either he's figuring out he can do it after all, or he's just given up hoping I'll step in and do it for him.

Lemon curd?? I think I have a different recipe than you.
  • Like 3

Lemon curd?? I think I have a different recipe than you.

In mine, you bake the crust first and while it cools, you make the filling, which is essentially lemon curd--eggs, yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and so forth. You strain this, and add a little bit of heavy cream. Then you top your crust with the curd and bake it a little while longer.

• Like 1

My lemon bar recipe is you make a crust from flour, powdered sugar and butter, cut in the butter with the pastry blender and then bake that. Then, you mix egg yolks, a little lemon juice,sugar and some other stuff and it makes a batter and then you pour over the baked crust and bake that for a while.

• Like 3

In mine, you bake the crust first and while it cools, you make the filling, which is essentially lemon curd--eggs, yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and so forth. You strain this, and add a little bit of heavy cream. Then you top your crust with the curd and bake it a little while longer.

Hmm, mine doesn't have heavy cream and no straining.
  • Like 1

My lemon bar recipe is you make a crust from flour, powdered sugar and butter, cut in the butter with the pastry blender and then bake that. Then, you mix egg yolks, a little lemon juice,sugar and some other stuff and it makes a batter and then you pour over the baked crust and bake that for a while.

Probably not that much difference. By cooking it on the stovetop you save some time in the oven. I do a GF crust, and that's a little different, but not too different from the traditional way.

• Like 1

Hmm, mine doesn't have heavy cream and no straining.

With the curd I make, the straining is essential. There's the zest of four lemons in it for flavor, and that stuff is beyond chewy if you don't strain it out.

ETA: I will say that the lemon zest and the juice (2/3 cup) really makes for a very lemony lemon bar. Which is what DH likes, so he can learn to make it!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

After dinner Imma watch Schitt's Creek and fold the guest linens. If I'm lucky, some of these bins will be put away.

Dh and his best friend both have hernias and are trying to decide if they should have surgery or not. Their doctors both told them that they could get them fixed if it bothered them but it wasn't necessary. Dh had hernia surgery 10 years ago - they used mesh and it still bothers him. It took him over 2 years just to get back to "normal". If he has surgery again it will have to be laparoscopic.

• Like 3

After dinner Imma watch Schitt's Creek and fold the guest linens. If I'm lucky, some of these bins will be put away.

Dh and his best friend both have hernias and are trying to decide if they should have surgery or not. Their doctors both told them that they could get them fixed if it bothered them but it wasn't necessary. Dh had hernia surgery 10 years ago - they used mesh and it still bothers him. It took him over 2 years just to get back to "normal". If he has surgery again it will have to be laparoscopic.

That's also an ongoing topic of discussion here.

Someone please remind me to call in after 5:00 pm to see if I have to report for jury duty tomorrow. I really really really really hope I do not have to report.

Is it after 5 PM for you yet?

• Like 1

Flour sacks!  They do well for summer wear, and can be the layer under the gunny sacks when it's cold out.

• Like 1

I simply make lemon cookie balls.  Very lemon-y cookie balls!

• Like 2

My sincere apologies! Spudz, Broccoli, and Cauliflower would never be considered stupid. Only rotten messy ones in Jean's fridge.

But what about Celery???

Btw, it's settled. Celery's not excited about any instrument, but if he has to do music, he wants to do guitar. Broccoli was not happy that his instrument exploration class was canceled because he was the only kid who signed up (and neither was I), but he has decided he wants to do violin (Lindsey Stirling playing the Pokémon theme song might have been instrumental in that (but not just Lindsey - he liked some other things too)). So, now I just need to find two teachers, preferably not too far from here, and preferably ones who will do daytime classes (because I have enough to do in the evenings, tyvm). Time to get serious about this music stuff (I'm a little annoyed with myself for dropping the ball on Celery's music stuff in the past, though it wasn't just me... the guy who did group guitar at the homeschool co-op was going to get back to me about private lessons, and then get back to me, and then get back to me, and yada yada, and the other guitar instructor quoted one price, but then after the actual trial lesson added "and this much for this, and that much for that", and I wasn't up for that kind of nonsense (nor did we have the money for it, even if I were up for it... the price they originally quoted was pushing it as was)). 

I thought it was 5pm tomorrow. #behind

(though I'm ketchupped now)

Boeja!

No, you call after 5:00pm the evening before you are supposed to report and they tell you what to do. I am on call, so I call back tomorrow night and see. If they select the jury tomorrow, then I'm good to go for another year.

You know, all my life being a registered voter, I hardly ever got a jury summons. I could probably count on 1 hand the number of times. And then, last July I actually had to go in, and then now, a year later o get another summons.

• Like 1

No, you call after 5:00pm the evening before you are supposed to report and they tell you what to do. I am on call, so I call back tomorrow night and see. If they select the jury tomorrow, then I'm good to go for another year.

No, I meant that I was confused about the day your post was from. I get that you call in the evening before. 

DW hasn't been called up very often either. And they've sent her home every time, mostly because they had enough people, but even if they get to her... being a transwoman with some "out there" kind of opinions means the odds of being selected are zilch. IIRC she'd be okay with being on a jury once... she's definitely not all that amused about them wasting her (and their) time when they're obviously not going to select her anyway. I, of course, don't qualify, because not a citizen.

• Like 2

I really regret not putting a bag of Reese's Cups on my shopping list for DH today. I thought about it, decided it was ridiculous, and now I have none.

:( The story of my life. But guess what I found in the freezer today? 2 (TWO!) bags of mini chocolate chips. I will share wif you. :)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

It seems that each season now I am able to eliminate one bin of clothing since dd19 pretty much handles her own clothes and dd14 is getting to that point. So now I just have to go through and eliminate all the clothes that are/will definitely be too small for dd8. She is quite tall for her age and it's getting to the point that dd14, dd11, and dd8 can *almost* wear the same clothes. Tops are all the same size. Pants still have a couple inches difference. (Don't talk to me about shoes!!)

• Like 2