Menu

Ignore this thread!

I woke up at 3am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. Dh got up at 4 and made normal getting ready noises for an hour. Then I finally fell back asleep about 5. Then ds comes and gets me up at 6:15. My mom is coming today so I have to act tough and cheerful. 

I am going to be petty and whiny for a moment and say I'm tired of being the "slacker" between a mom and a dh who both push themselves beyond the breaking point all the time. 

You are not being petty or whiny. Or a slacker.  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Happy Good Coffee Thursday!

My little go-getter has already finished about 10 things on her chore chart and is insisting on Math and Phonics now.   :001_wub:  Thankfully it's all Kindy.  I can finish my breakfast here on the deck, sip coffee, and ketchup, all while teaching.   :D

Piano today.  I can not forget.  I can not forget.  I can not forget.  

• Like 5

I need to write 4K words today. I don't think I can do that, but looking ahead to next week, and the week after, that's what I need to do. Of course, this is Camp NaNo, and if I need to take a break from story and work on world-building notes or character sketches, I will count those things toward the project.

• Like 1

I need to write 4K words today. I don't think I can do that, but looking ahead to next week, and the week after, that's what I need to do. Of course, this is Camp NaNo, and if I need to take a break from story and work on world-building notes or character sketches, I will count those things toward the project.

Go Critter Go!

• Like 3

The boys have watered their gardens. The pumpkin grower came in very excited because he identified his girl flowers. He's planning on crossing a few of the varieties himself to see what he gets. He's got his paintbrush and twine and everything. We'll need to mark the fruit for seed collection in some way. Maybe a black magic marker?

• Like 4

Mama slept in. Coffee! I love the way people in the Bible talked about themselves. I am very humble, always in prayer, I'm Jesus's favorite. :lol:

ETA: To be specific, the "I'm a million times as humble as thou art" part.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 9

So we have a trip coming up of nearly two weeks in length. It is to someplace with decidedly different climate, someplace I have been before but not this time of year and of the rest of us only FIL had been there before. I have planned on doing laundry halfway through the trip (there will be ample opportunity), and have planned according to the multitudinous weather info for where we are going AND the online advice from others who have made this trip.

On our usual road trips I usually plan in laundry at strategic points during the trip -- it lessens the amount of luggage we have to contend with, and makes sure we have appropriate clothing ready for whatever comes without having to pack 3 sets of clothes per day to cover the possibilities. I am using this same very helpful planning and packing strategy now.

DH did a "test pack" of one suitcase last night, packing clothing that is NOT the same as the clothing he will need to pack for the trip. He packed smaller, thinner clothing. He now thinks we have enough room to pack clothing for every day of the trip without doing laundry part-way through, and was pushing encouraging me to do just that.

I told him I do not have enough of the appropriate clothes to pack a change for every day of the trip, so I will still have to do laundry part-way through.

Stop changing my hard-thought-out plans on me as time grows short, dang it! I know what I am doing, so trust me on this!

My kids call me The Packing Nazi.

• Like 5

I fell asleep very early last night and slept soundly...until the earthquake woke me up. :glare:   Having lived in California for a significant portion of my life, I was not concerned about the local impact.  But the short person is very near to the Cascadia Subduction Zone.  I don't want to know what my BP was there for a little while.  Needless to say, going back to sleep was a challenge. :glare: :glare:

(The epicenter was in the other direction.)

• Like 8

We had our group practice and the kids are doing so well - they've worked very hard this summer. And I think the elderly people will enjoy it and not mind (and/or hear 😄) the fumbled notes. Next week we can finally bring instruments in for repairs! :hurray:

• Like 6

We had our group practice and the kids are doing so well - they've worked very hard this summer. And I think the elderly people will enjoy it and not mind (and/or hear 😄) the fumbled notes. Next week we can finally bring instruments in for repairs! :hurray:

My kids take piano lessons from a wonderful older woman (good friend of my parents) and because of her age she is cutting down on the number of students she has, so the recitals have become shorter and shorter. And usually at the recitals she would do a couple of piano duets with two pianos with her old college roommate, which were awesome. Well, this spring, her duet friend passed away and some of her other students dropped out, so we had our piano recital in front of the people in Memory Care at the retirement home she lives at. It was great. The older people loved it and didn't mind so much the mistakes.
  • Like 9

1000 words down for the day. Time to go clean something. Or do the extended chores before lunch. Haven't decided yet.

ETA: It's an indecisive Booyah! So many things to do... :willy_nilly:

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

I'm at a gas station. I am not getting out of my car with some of the gang members around. I was going to wait to see if they were going to move on but now I think that my car can go a bit farther to another gas station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:scared: Jean! The things I miss being small town.

I'm from a nasty town and wouldn't have given a second thought to getting out to get gas. Of course, I live in Oregon and don't know how.
  • Like 2

I have been known to avoid certain gas stations at night. But not because of gang members. Unless grasshoppers form gangs. Which they might.

The kitchen floor is clean. There is something in the refrigerator that might involved me getting out gloves when I deal with it. When I'm working a lot, I typically make meals with leftover potential. But DH seldom eats leftovers more than one time, and I haven't been hungry.Or here to take care of things. So there is probably something lurking in the back.  :glare:

• Like 5

I'm at a gas station. I am not getting out of my car with some of the gang members around. I was going to wait to see if they were going to move on but now I think that my car can go a bit farther to another gas station.

:scared:

Oh wait. They have moved on. Going to stop looking busy on my phone and get gas.

:ohmy:

:scared: Jean! The things I miss being small town. 

:iagree: 

• Like 2

I'm from a nasty town and wouldn't have given a second thought to getting out to get gas. Of course, I live in Oregon and don't know how.

Normally I wouldn't have thought anything of it either.  But I just had a weird vibe.  They were eying me and shuffling from foot to foot like they were waiting or something.  It's hard to put a finger on it but it just seemed off.  So I listened to my gut.  And they moved on to the next street corner so I felt safe enough.  But there have been reports lately of gangs rushing people at gas stations and stealing their purse etc.  Not like everyday or anything but enough that it's been reported on the news as something to watch for. 

• Like 6

Normally I wouldn't have thought anything of it either. But I just had a weird vibe. They were eying me and shuffling from foot to foot like they were waiting or something. It's hard to put a finger on it but it just seemed off. So I listened to my gut. And they moved on to the next street corner so I felt safe enough. But there have been reports lately of gangs rushing people at gas stations and stealing their purse etc. Not like everyday or anything but enough that it's been reported on the news as something to watch for.

It must have been all the diamonds you wear. They knew you were worth something. We used to get robbed in our old apartment in California. The place was a total dive and of course we had nothing worth taking. Bad guys are dumb.
  • Like 3

It must have been all the diamonds you wear. They knew you were worth something. We used to get robbed in our old apartment in California. The place was a total dive and of course we had nothing worth taking. Bad guys are dumb.

They were lucky I had even combed my hair this morning!  It's one of those "is my gut feeling paranoid or really picking up on something" moments.  But I figure that I'd rather be paranoid and safe than ignore the feeling and regret it.  I think this is the only time in over 50 years of life that I've sat in the car like that until I felt safe to get out. 

• Like 5

Weren't you my bodyguard once?  Maybe before the Great Coup?  

Someone was my bodyguard.  I think?

I don't think I was someone else's bodyguard.  That would not have been Someone Else's bestest choice ever.  

• Like 3

They were lucky I had even combed my hair this morning! It's one of those "is my gut feeling paranoid or really picking up on something" moments. But I figure that I'd rather be paranoid and safe than ignore the feeling and regret it. I think this is the only time in over 50 years of life that I've sat in the car like that until I felt safe to get out.

Glad you were safe!

I went to an AFSA near the Big City late one night and while I was looking at stuff, I saw a small group of stupidly dressed young men come in - it looked like they had just grabbed whatever they could find of a particular color and draped it on themselves. They slunk around for a bit and then I saw another small group of young men slinking around and I left my cart where it was and beat it out of there. Someone else must have been worried because a whole lot of police cars came zipping into the parking lot as I was driving out.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

I libraried and picked up a book on roasting and one on soups. I got a book on soup last week, but it was a wee bit too fancy for me. This one is more reasonable, I think. There's a chicken stew with apples that looks interesting, and something called Vermont Cheddar Apple Soup that I think I'm going to have to try this fall. And all the mushroom soups look pretty good.

• Like 1

My kids call me The Packing Nazi.

DD15 dutifully took notes as I detailed the selection of types of clothing (and number of each) she should select for the trip.  No arguments from HER about how much to pack!  No, any disputes she may raise will come when I look over what she has selected to make sure she will have what she needs.  I did stress STURDY clothing for certain days.

• Like 2

I take DD15 to her first appointment at the oral surgeon in a little while (assessment appointment).  So far I am not impressed with them.  I didn't have our dental insurance handy when I made the appointment, and the young gal on the phone kept yammering at me about other things while I was attempting to find it (which she knew I was doing).  I said I would get it again from DH and call them back, and she made our appointment and told me what hours they would be available to take my call.

I called them back the next morning to give them the information -- during the specified hours -- and got their voicemail.  I left a message explaining why I called and gave my call-back number.  I figured maybe they were all busy at the moment and I would get a call around lunchtime or early afternoon, but no.  No one bothered to call back.

She called just a little bit ago, when she was getting our paperwork ready for the appointment.  I gave her the info and then she asked for other stuff from our dentist, things no one mentioned we would need.  No matter, she said she would call the dentist for it (they are just a few doors down from each other).

This is an oral surgeon recommended by our dentist.  I hope this is all just a fluke, because so far I'm not getting much of a professional feel from them.

• Like 2

Nothing is going on here. I have nothing to report. The kids are playing with their friends. I am....(Educational Content Ahead: Trigger Warning. Reported.) working on tweaking History Odyssey Middle Ages. It seems to be going well. I think I have successfully merged it with Famous Men of the Middle Ages, included some Art videos from Great Courses and a few other things.

• Like 6

No-one is taking this thread seriously!

I've been looking through pictures to pick out 7 of my oldest for the senior slide show at our swim banquet in a couple weeks.  It has been a long time since I looked through pictures - the kids were cute, the house was nicer, and we were young and thin.  That is all.  

• Like 7

No-one is taking this thread seriously!

I've been looking through pictures to pick out 7 of my oldest for the senior slide show at our swim banquet in a couple weeks. It has been a long time since I looked through pictures - the kids were cute, the house was nicer, and we were young and thin. That is all.

C25K!

(Educational Content Ahead: Trigger Warning. Reported.) .

All the kids are gone! (Except mine. I miss my Thursday Bonus Kids). I have been working on various schedules, particularly history literature individual reading and read-alouds. It is really hard to judge how long it will take us to go through a Greek Comedy or Shakespeare play. 3 days a week. I am thinking for each play we will read at least 2 "retellings" and then maybe make paperdolls to be the various characters in the play.

Also, I found the Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid written in play form for middle school students - just google Scholastic Iliad middle school and a pdf will come up.

My hips are hurting again. I'm hurting all the time it feels like, although it's probably only in the late afternoons and evenings. Super sunny outside...I'm hiding in my cave waiting for sunset as usual.

(((Critter)))

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2