• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I'm making a frittata for dinner tonight. What should I put in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote eggs!   :smilielol5:  :leaving:

(And maybe some veggies)

• Like 8

I have buns of steel.

Reported.

I'm sorry, Lynn!! Which thread?? I'll go over and like it, too!!

Awww, that's okay.  It wasn't the thread that made me grumpy.  I think part of my problem is I never made a list today of the 50 million things I'm supposed to remember and  do eventually.  

Me too! Twinsies! 🎓

That's why we're so smart!  We went to school in the good 'ole days.   :hat:

I also visited the Soviet Union in 1988. They had just opened their first McDonalds in Moscow. :D

Cool!   :coolgleamA:

• Like 4

Years ago we installed a closet bar about head-height above the middle of our humongous master bath tub. It was high enough no one hit their heads getting in and out of the tub back when we actually used it as a tub (or indoor swimming pool when the kids were small). Yet it also was centered enough that in my office-job days I could suspend my sweater racks from it and lay out my sweaters to dry. It still gets used for hanging swimsuits, my bath towel, or anything else we want to let drip and dry. The tub keeps the drips out from underfoot.

Some people I knew would hang a small clothesline down the middle of their tubs or showers for the same purpose. The only difference is theirs is easily removed (mine is, too, but more cumbersome) and could be wound up for stowing away when not in use.

For some things that aren't drippy, just damp from the washer, we have a closet bar hung inside the door to our laundry closet. A few hangers' worth of clothing can hang there to dry, and that's where we keep hangers when empty, and where we hang freshly laundered clothes until we put them away.

We have a clothesline outside. Which incidentally I have the sheet spread out across it, and gymnast is currently using as a tent.

• Like 2

My normally sweet 13yo DDs have been in foul moods all week! I'm not saying they've been taken over by aliens, but....it must be aliens. I hope the pod people return them soon. They should be happy- it's the last official week of school!  :coolgleamA:

But I am glad they are safely sulking in my house today and not out wandering the streets.  :crying:

• Like 2

FTR, I know I should just tell NYS to go stuff itself. My kids are 6 and 9 - a week of school or no school won't make one bit of difference at this point. I'm just too frazzled to think clearly.

You can just lie. As a devout Christian, I have no qualms about telling the government what they want to hear when it comes to quibbling over hours and minutes. :D It's not like you work for them and they're paying you, so you're not cheating them out of anything. Half this year my youngest kid didn't do a single page of math and still managed to learn to count by 10, the place value system, and other things she keeps surprising me that she knows. I count it as time learned, in my head. But I don't live in NY, and we don't have to count hours. So there's that.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

Lying isn't needed. Luuknam just needs Renai's help finding the phrasing for the write-up. No classtime might have been accomplished during the move, but a whole lot of lab time (application of stuff learned in real life situations) certainly did!

I'm actually pretty darn good at this, lol!

• Like 3

So, I didn't get the sheet washed until after lunch around 2:30 when we got back home from the park. I stretched it out over the clothesline and across a few other sundry items in the backyard to make it dry faster and created a nice little tent for Gymnast to play under. I think it's dry now.

• Like 4

Much better than giving them an iPad and you yourself going and drinking something.  Although it is 5:00.....

Actually, I'm in the Eastern time zone, so you posted that at 5:59pm... 

We went to the library, returned a bunch of stuff, and the kids stocked up on books, which the kids are now devouring (reading!). Then we went to the grocery store I hate (but which is the closest thing to us by far), and I grabbed stuff for breakfast/lunch, but couldn't make up my mind on dinner as Celery was running 60mph through the aisles (PE!). I contemplated doing tacos, which is my usual summer Thursday food, but a) I didn't know what aisles to find the stuff I needed in, and b) we live within walking distance of a Taco Bell/KFC now. So, I decided we'll walk to Taco Bell for dinner (PE!). 

And, in all truth, I don't do a good job with counting days/hours... it's more that I know we didn't do much when we were supposed to do stuff, and I know there were things I wanted to get done before the end of the school year that we haven't gotten done. I could totally do Renai's thing about spinning everyday activities into 'educational' stuff - I started my homeschooling education reading books and email lists and stuff about unschooling before Celery was even born... but there's a limit as to how far I feel it's okay to push that, and I don't want to let myself go down the road of "everything is educational" and neglecting my kids while I'm bending the rules. 

• Like 1

We have a clothesline outside. Which incidentally I have the sheet spread out across it, and gymnast is currently using as a tent.

That sheet should be dry in no time where you are!

• Like 1

And, in all truth, I don't do a good job with counting days/hours... it's more that I know we didn't do much when we were supposed to do stuff, and I know there were things I wanted to get done before the end of the school year that we haven't gotten done. I could totally do Renai's thing about spinning everyday activities into 'educational' stuff - I started my homeschooling education reading books and email lists and stuff about unschooling before Celery was even born... but there's a limit as to how far I feel it's okay to push that, and I don't want to let myself go down the road of "everything is educational" and neglecting my kids while I'm bending the rules. 

Block scheduling! So you had a lot of PE and electives. You can make it up with blocks of reading, science, and math later. Do you school through summer? We always did because of moves and stuff eating into the school year. That made me feel a lot better about missed days in the regular school year. And your kids are little...nothing is really that important or uncatchuppable* when they're little.

*Not a word.

• Like 4

So, we are having our very own Scooby Doo marathon every night with What's New Scooby Doo dvds.  Which we bought on Amazon.  With a gift card.  That oldest got in a graduation card.   :laugh:   (That's one Thank You note where you don't say how you used the gift!   :leaving: )

• Like 5

Block scheduling! So you had a lot of PE and electives. You can make it up with blocks of reading, science, and math later. Do you school through summer? We always did because of moves and stuff eating into the school year. That made me feel a lot better about missed days in the regular school year. And your kids are little...nothing is really that important or uncatchuppablewhen they're little.

*Not a word.

unketchuppable

#alsonotaword

It's a "made up word" Booyah!  

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 5

Actually, I'm in the Eastern time zone, so you posted that at 5:59pm... 

We went to the library, returned a bunch of stuff, and the kids stocked up on books, which the kids are now devouring (reading!). Then we went to the grocery store I hate (but which is the closest thing to us by far), and I grabbed stuff for breakfast/lunch, but couldn't make up my mind on dinner as Celery was running 60mph through the aisles (PE!). I contemplated doing tacos, which is my usual summer Thursday food, but a) I didn't know what aisles to find the stuff I needed in, and b) we live within walking distance of a Taco Bell/KFC now. So, I decided we'll walk to Taco Bell for dinner (PE!). 

Okay, just for a reality check:

Your kids went along on the grocery shopping, and were exposed to selective shopping on a budget.  If they hear you planning out meals they also see examples of planning ahead.  You all live someplace new, and need to learn the lay of the land -- familiarizing yourself with the grocery store and visiting a local eatery are part of that.

It may feel like trying to game the system somehow, but in reality the kids get to see more of the root tasks of living, and how the academic stuff they study actually comes into play in real life.  They get more opportunity for this because they are around you more, and you aren't just doing this stuff when they are in school.

The break for the move also gave their brains some processing time, time in which the daily activities are significantly different from the usual studies, allowing their brains to turn off study mode and take what was learned and process it for better retrieval and use.  Don't discount this.

They also get to see modeled how to handle complete disruptions to everything familiar and then proceed with the recovery.

Trust me, learning happened.

• Like 5

To clarify, I was kidding when I said lie, and I don't believe "everything is educational," but I do bet there was learning going on even during times you didn't crack open a book. 

I don't have to "spin" anything to make it seem to be educational stuff. What Gymnast did was educational. She counted a lot of money with my husband, and learned how to make a dollar with nickels, dimes, and quarters. She also learned how to count by 10s with the dimes. She played a lot on Dragonbox, watched a few Education Unboxed videos, I used the terms 10+# when speaking to encourage place value talk and connected it with counting money or whatever,  and by the time I finally figured out what math we were going to use (January/February) and got to place value, she had it down already.

I don't unschool, but I also don't have a "set" destination of learning for young children. They vary wildly, they run quickly with something, then plateau. When I tutor, or when I'm teaching in the public schools, I see what the children need, do it, and slap the required standard to it. But, I look at the children first. Then, I can figure out what standard I can say it meets. This is what I was talking about when I first posted.

• Like 4