• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I've never actually accomplished this-truly a 10 on the Spectacular Fall list-but I've come close.  Now I think that hammocks should rank right up there with trampolines for backyard hazards.

Okay, since we are back to grading self injuries:  Does the hammock dump injury compounded by hard sneezes top me breaking the same toe twice in the same way on the same day?  Or does someone else have an I-can't-believe-I-did-that-to-myself story to top both of these?

:w00t:

• Like 4

my dad trained in the merchant marine in poland & they had to sleep in hammocks on their teaching vessel. The ship is a museum now. http://www.en.nmm.pl/dar-pomorza/history-of-the-building-dar

Here are the hammocks below decks http://www.nmm.pl/upload/Images/cke/Dar-Pomorza-edukacja/zycie_codzienne_na_Darze_Pomorza.jpg

We take our hammock camping with us mostly for the hours of spectator amusement watching people trying to get in & out.

That ship is gorgeous!  I'm quite envious.

• Like 2

(((hugs)))  Dh's family is a "watch your back" kind of situation for us and has been for a long time.  We have had our last straw with his brother in the past few months, and I unfriended his sister on FB.  I told dh that his family reunion would look like an Ahole convention.  Sorry for the curses.  No, not really.  I am old, tired, and not willing to play games with people who have Axis 2 mental health disorders.  I'll cover your Axis 1 all day, but no Axis 2, thankyouverymuch.  After Nan is gone, I hope to not see them for a very long time.

So, would narcissism be Axis 2, then?  (Not any of you.  I have a friend who has a jerky ex we believe is destructively narcissistic.)

Sorry for your Axis 2 dealings.  Sounds like something I hope to never have to deal with.

I live for those threads.  It's like my crack.  Seriously.

I am tempted to let you do your own research because we have clues on our siggies, but since I'm all tired out from life I will just tell you.  *Lulu* is my long-time evil twin from way back.  

Glad you were all tired out… I've been wondering for a looong time (I don't know, but it feels like at least since page 56.)  Why did I not just ask???

• Like 2

Hey, I did it too! The stand-sit-stand.  Though I almost fell down the first time and my knees were all creaky the second and third times.  And each time I was waving my arms frantically to keep my balance.   :D

• Like 3

So, would narcissism be Axis 2, then? (Not any of you. I have a friend who has a jerky ex we believe is destructively narcissistic.)

Sorry for your Axis 2 dealings. Sounds like something I hope to never have to deal with.

Yep. Axis 2. Borderline is also Axis 2.

my dad trained in the merchant marine in poland & they had to sleep in hammocks on their teaching vessel. The ship is a museum now. http://www.en.nmm.pl/dar-pomorza/history-of-the-building-dar

Here are the hammocks below decks http://www.nmm.pl/upload/Images/cke/Dar-Pomorza-edukacja/zycie_codzienne_na_Darze_Pomorza.jpg

We take our hammock camping with us mostly for the hours of spectator amusement watching people trying to get in & out.

Awesome ship and hammocks!!

I want to take our hammock camping with us, too. That would mean actually camping, though, and I'm afraid of what we'll find in our tent trailer this year when we open it up. Last year we discovered an ant colony. Yuck! This year the dc noticed hornets going in one of the vents. I'm afraid!!!  :ohmy:

• Like 1

Thanks.

Unfortunately, that type of humor will not do, when the other party is an alcoholic. I don't know how I can spin this in a funny way. I was lied to and stolen from. Anyone who knows me knows how seriously I take that. It makes me question so much more, and it's not being taken seriously because it was just $xx. Honestly, I'd be able to deal with being cheated on better than I'm dealing with this.

I don't even curse, in writing or talking, but this is exactly how I feel right now:

11391280_1420461088278031_59720536983465

That sucks! So sorry you got preyed upon. 

• Like 1

Crazy day here - one ds to basketball, 4 others to swim, a separate dive clinic tonight - everyday looks like this or worse.  And dh unavailable because of training.  Thankfully my parents can help with some of it.  I'm not whining, but I do struggle a bit when so many things are off the normal routine.  I'm not even sure if I should dress for driving or dress for the pool, lol.  (I hate driving more than a couple minutes in sandals.)  And in spite of doing 4 loads of laundry yesterday, there are many more still piled around.  (This is when I start hoping weather will cancel something, lol!)  The irony is that I specifically decided and requested that nothing get scheduled during summer swim so we could relax, enjoy it, lol.  Best laid plans and all that....

• Like 1

I feel like that too Lynn. I have two girls on a gym team, and between practice, conditioning, clinics, meets, and camps it's making me insane. After the summer, my mom is moving in with us (YAY!!!) which will be a huge huge help. I have enormous guilt over dragging little dd all over the place.

• Like 2

See, this is why I don't hate not being able to drive. "You should come to our weekly book club" "I can't drive" "You should do classical conversations with me" "I can't drive" "I'm hosting a class and since you're home during the day" "I can't drive" "would mind going downtown for me on Tuesdays" "I can't drive". It's great. I don't know if it's an everywhere thing, but in my community the stay at home moms are expected to be at everyone's beck and call, even with babies and I just can't. Our church too. They expect me to be at every event. I would be so busy I'd be exhausted all of the time. I'd probably be a not so great teacher as well.

• Like 6

See, this is why I don't hate not being able to drive. "You should come to our weekly book club" "I can't drive" "You should do classical conversations with me" "I can't drive" "I'm hosting a class and since you're home during the day" "I can't drive" "would mind going downtown for me on Tuesdays" "I can't drive". It's great. I don't know if it's an everywhere thing, but in my community the stay at home moms are expected to be at everyone's beck and call, even with babies and I just can't. Our church too. They expect me to be at every event. I would be so busy I'd be exhausted all of the time. I'd probably be a not so great teacher as well.

Eh, you just learn to say, "Thank for the invite!  Wish I could come, but I have x,y,z/busy with this and that/etc".  I don't do those parties where someone is trying to sell you something or improve your health by selling you something, attend get togethers I don't want to (for the most part - some are unavoidable), or do favors for people that involve driving.  I will do other favors.  I will keep your kid for the afternoon here and there.  I will show you my homeschooling curriculum and talk ad nauseum about that if you will come to my house, etc.   I'm not into events really.  Which makes it really hysterical that I am now going to be one of the people running the high school reunion event in two weeks. 

• Like 3

Nan report:  She has eaten a total of about a third of a banana since June 1.  She drinks some still, water or cherry slush.  MIL brought cherry slush which Nan could not manage (too thick), but after it melted it provided a wonderful overly strong flavored medium for dissolving her twice a day pills in so she could drink them and not taste them.  She is in bed 24/7 and incontinent.  She is fairly alert and talkative all day.  She hallucinates, but this is not unpleasant for her.  She talks to the wall and said, "He has some good ideas".  She says things that make me think she is working out her unfinished business so she can move on.  Yesterday she grabbed my hand and told the caregiver, "This is a nice lady and a good lady".  The other day she told me she loves me and that there had never been anything bad between us.  It is so interesting to watch this process.  The nighttime caregiver said that on Friday she woke up in the middle of the night and Nan was reaching her hand straight up and calling to Jesus and then called for her dad.  She has one foot in this world and one foot in the next.

• Like 7

My kids aren't aloowed to have noisy toys either. 😳 Well, it's not that I actually forbid them, but I won't buy them. I have sensory issues with noise. But then again, my kids are weird and don't play with toys much. We have all the open ended things, but they just rarely play with them. They play in the woods and creek most of the time.

They are allowed up to an hour of screen time per day. We don't always use that much, sometimes we are just too busy.

I despise my daughter's noisy toys. Her grandmother and aunt buy them. I think they hate me. 

I'm a highly sensitive person, and I detest her presents from them. So far, we have a dog that rolls around and laughs maniacally, a very loud guitar, a piano with a microphone (thank God that is out of batteries!), and a music playing dog that NEVER.SHUTS.UP! 

I'm sure there are more, but these are at the bottom of my list. (She does love music and singing, so I more readily tolerate the guitar and piano.) 

Toys like her Little Tykes farm and doll house that make animal or car noises or washing machine/doorbell noises don't bother me as long as she's not just doing it over and over. I hear it frequently when she's playing, but it's not gratuitous. 

She tends to play most with play dough. Play dough is quiet! :) 

• Like 3

Speaking of Nan, I have no Nan sitter today so I will plant my large, sturdy butt on the couch and finish some planning for next year.  Dd's history and lit are almost finished.  Next I will tackle my 9th grade English class for co op, which will be a large undertaking, as I have never used the curriculum.  Also, we will do our summer school.

We took the kittens and cat back to the shelter yesterday, and it was very emotional.  I miss them this morning.  :(  Little dd wanted to keep the little tabby kitten named Marley.  I wanted to keep the mama.  Instead, we kept Nan.  

#Isaidbutt

• Like 3

Nan report:  She has eaten a total of about a third of a banana since June 1.  She drinks some, water, sweet tea, or cherry slush.  MIL brought cherry slush which Nan could not manage (too thick), but after it melted it provided a wonderful overly strong flavored medium for dissolving her twice a day pills in so she could drink them and not taste them.  So I went and bought a huge one and let it melt and keep it in the fridge for med times.  She is in bed 24/7 and incontinent.  She is fairly alert and talkative all day.  She hallucinates, but this is not unpleasant for her.  She talks to the wall and said, "He has some good ideas".  She says things that make me think she is working out her unfinished business so she can move on.  Yesterday she grabbed my hand and told the caregiver, "This is a nice lady and a good lady".  The other day she told me she loves me and that there had never been anything bad between us.  It is so interesting to watch this process.  The nighttime caregiver said that on Friday she woke up in the middle of the night and Nan was reaching her hand straight up and calling to Jesus and then called for her dad.  She has one foot in this world and one foot in the next.

:grouphug:  

Such a hard time between wanting to keep them with us and knowing they'll be better with Jesus. 

Nan report:  She has eaten a total of about a third of a banana since June 1.  She drinks some, water, sweet tea, or cherry slush.  MIL brought cherry slush which Nan could not manage (too thick), but after it melted it provided a wonderful overly strong flavored medium for dissolving her twice a day pills in so she could drink them and not taste them.  So I went and bought a huge one and let it melt and keep it in the fridge for med times.  She is in bed 24/7 and incontinent.  She is fairly alert and talkative all day.  She hallucinates, but this is not unpleasant for her.  She talks to the wall and said, "He has some good ideas".  She says things that make me think she is working out her unfinished business so she can move on.  Yesterday she grabbed my hand and told the caregiver, "This is a nice lady and a good lady".  The other day she told me she loves me and that there had never been anything bad between us.  It is so interesting to watch this process.  The nighttime caregiver said that on Friday she woke up in the middle of the night and Nan was reaching her hand straight up and calling to Jesus and then called for her dad.  She has one foot in this world and one foot in the next.

You're awesome, tex.  Hugs to you, and to Nan too.  You are walking her home right now and doing an amazing job of loving her all the way, no matter how bumpy it is.  And she knows she's loved and not alone.  What a tremendous gift you are giving her.  

• Like 7

Well someone's behind.

STOP talking about my behind! ;) 

As for the thread, WAY behind!! 

I got sucked into an Army Wives marathon and forgot about ITT.  :huh: 

sucked in = willingly threw myself into it and barely came up for breath. Just realized that I'm already in Season 3 and started last Monday. *gasp*

• Like 4

:grouphug:  

Such a hard time between wanting to keep them with us and knowing they'll be better with Jesus. 

We passed wanting her to stay here a few miles back, which is the gift of Alzheimer's.  Truly.  It is a gift and allows us to let go of her.  She lived a good, strong 90 years before beginning a decline.  We should all be so blessed.  :)

• Like 6

You're awesome, tex.  Hugs to you, and to Nan too.  You are walking her home right now and doing an amazing job of loving her all the way, no matter how bumpy it is.  And she knows she's loved and not alone.  What a tremendous gift you are giving her.  

Thank you, honey.  This comes very naturally to me.  It is not always without difficulty, but it flows easily.  It's a gift.  I was talking to one of the nighttime caregivers (the agency one), a lady in her early 60's who is wonderful.  I told her that she and I were both caregivers.  It's not what we do, it's who we are.  I love having that particular gift.  It's an easy one to love and take care of people.  :)

I woke up at midnight and thought I heard something Nan-related and burst out of bed to see, even though we have a nighttime caregiver sleeping in the room with her.  Then I was up at 7 am to see if she was awake, and I needed to change a diaper with the caregiver.  Nan is always in the back of my head.  Things that I learned over 25 years ago as a nurse's aide have come back to me.  Stuff comes to me while I sleep, I swear.  I will wake up and go, "Oh, I know what we need to do to keep pressure off of that red spot on her back".  It is not a typical way of being, but I kinda like it.

#commaspliceifyoucanfindit

#firstparagraph

• Like 4

I agree - super cute & super cute hair to boot.

ETA:  First time in my life I am a 10!

Hey, so far I think you (and everyone here) is a 10 or better.  So it is NOT the first time for you -- you have been a 10 all along and just didn't realize it.

So there.

• Like 2

Hey, I did it too! The stand-sit-stand.  Though I almost fell down the first time and my knees were all creaky the second and third times.  And each time I was waving my arms frantically to keep my balance.   :D

You waved at us, too!  How nice!

• Like 4

Yep. Axis 2. Borderline is also Axis 2.

Thanks.  I'm trying to gain a better understanding of what my friend had been dealing with all these years.

Awesome ship and hammocks!!

I want to take our hammock camping with us, too. That would mean actually camping, though, and I'm afraid of what we'll find in our tent trailer this year when we open it up. Last year we discovered an ant colony. Yuck! This year the dc noticed hornets going in one of the vents. I'm afraid!!!  :ohmy:

Any chance you could afford to take it to a shop to be cleaned, inspected, and have the weather-proofing/bug-proofing touched up a bit?  If you tell them going in what you suspect they can make an informed decision on whether to accept the job, and may have better facilities for dealing with these sorts of problems.

• Like 1

"I'm sorry, but not only don't I drive but I have had emergency dental surgery recently and am still dealing with the physical repercussions.  I'm afraid I have to get off the phone now because I'm not allowed to talk for long periods.  I have to rest my jaw."

• Like 2

Nan report:  She has eaten a total of about a third of a banana since June 1.  She drinks some still, water or cherry slush.  MIL brought cherry slush which Nan could not manage (too thick), but after it melted it provided a wonderful overly strong flavored medium for dissolving her twice a day pills in so she could drink them and not taste them.  She is in bed 24/7 and incontinent.  She is fairly alert and talkative all day.  She hallucinates, but this is not unpleasant for her.  She talks to the wall and said, "He has some good ideas".  She says things that make me think she is working out her unfinished business so she can move on.  Yesterday she grabbed my hand and told the caregiver, "This is a nice lady and a good lady".  The other day she told me she loves me and that there had never been anything bad between us.  It is so interesting to watch this process.  The nighttime caregiver said that on Friday she woke up in the middle of the night and Nan was reaching her hand straight up and calling to Jesus and then called for her dad.  She has one foot in this world and one foot in the next.

I think you are right.  You are a brave, kind woman, and I hope I can find this grace if I ever face such a situation again someday.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

I despise my daughter's noisy toys. Her grandmother and aunt buy them. I think they hate me. 

I'm a highly sensitive person, and I detest her presents from them. So far, we have a dog that rolls around and laughs maniacally, a very loud guitar, a piano with a microphone (thank God that is out of batteries!), and a music playing dog that NEVER.SHUTS.UP! 

I'm sure there are more, but these are at the bottom of my list. (She does love music and singing, so I more readily tolerate the guitar and piano.) 

Toys like her Little Tykes farm and doll house that make animal or car noises or washing machine/doorbell noises don't bother me as long as she's not just doing it over and over. I hear it frequently when she's playing, but it's not gratuitous. 

She tends to play most with play dough. Play dough is quiet! :)

There were many times when our kids were small that the batteries just disappeared from toys, or we simply didn't have any to replace batteries that went dead.  Using rechargeable batteries helped in this, because the kids didn't understand they were rechargeable and they would go dead quicker.  We also had a habit of putting the noisiest toys "away" where they were least seen and noticed and only getting one or two out at a time, during moments when we could tolerate the racket more.

Now I understand that my Dad and uncles weren't being cute with their words when they would tell a crowd of kids to keep it down to a dull roar.  They were being quite literal.

• Like 2

Speaking of Nan, I have no Nan sitter today so I will plant my large, sturdy butt on the couch and finish some planning for next year.  Dd's history and lit are almost finished.  Next I will tackle my 9th grade English class for co op, which will be a large undertaking, as I have never used the curriculum.  Also, we will do our summer school.

We took the kittens and cat back to the shelter yesterday, and it was very emotional.  I miss them this morning.   :(  Little dd wanted to keep the little tabby kitten named Marley.  I wanted to keep the mama.  Instead, we kept Nan.  

#Isaidbutt

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

STOP talking about my behind! ;) 

As for the thread, WAY behind!! 

I got sucked into an Army Wives marathon and forgot about ITT.  :huh: 

sucked in = willingly threw myself into it and barely came up for breath. Just realized that I'm already in Season 3 and started last Monday. *gasp*

Yeah, I can do things like that too sometimes.  I wasn't feeling so well yesterday and spent a lot of time watching Orange Is the New Black on my tablet, with headphones so the kids wouldn't overhear.  I watched a couple of episodes the other day just to find out what all the fuss was about, and now it's like watching a slow motion train wreck.  I can't seem to stop.

I need to finish winding up some subjects so the kids and I can change paces and shake ourselves out of the doldrums.  I tend to overwatch stuff when I'm stuck in a rut.

• Like 1

Thank you, honey.  This comes very naturally to me.  It is not always without difficulty, but it flows easily.  It's a gift.  I was talking to one of the nighttime caregivers (the agency one), a lady in her early 60's who is wonderful.  I told her that she and I were both caregivers.  It's not what we do, it's who we are.  I love having that particular gift.  It's an easy one to love and take care of people.   :)

I woke up at midnight and thought I heard something Nan-related and burst out of bed to see, even though we have a nighttime caregiver sleeping in the room with her.  Then I was up at 7 am to see if she was awake, and I needed to change a diaper with the caregiver.  Nan is always in the back of my head.  Things that I learned over 25 years ago as a nurse's aide have come back to me.  Stuff comes to me while I sleep, I swear.  I will wake up and go, "Oh, I know what we need to do to keep pressure off of that red spot on her back".  It is not a typical way of being, but I kinda like it.

#firstparagraph

#foundit :thumbup1:

• Like 3

Any chance you could afford to take it to a shop to be cleaned, inspected, and have the weather-proofing/bug-proofing touched up a bit?  If you tell them going in what you suspect they can make an informed decision on whether to accept the job, and may have better facilities for dealing with these sorts of problems.

Great idea! It would be a treat to have someone else open up the trailer and take care of the critters who may be inside.

Thank you, honey.  This comes very naturally to me.  It is not always without difficulty, but it flows easily.  It's a gift.  I was talking to one of the nighttime caregivers (the agency one), a lady in her early 60's who is wonderful.  I told her that she and I were both caregivers.  It's not what we do, it's who we are.  I love having that particular gift.  It's an easy one to love and take care of people.   :)

#firstparagraph

That is a gift.  I wish such things came as naturally to me, but they don't.   Children have helped, though… I've definitely learned a great deal about selfless patience and caregiving from them; they give me lots of practice.   ;)

• Like 6