Menu

Ignore this thread!

Venting and feeling a bit justified -

My husband took us camping this week. I say "took us", because I do not voluntarily leave my air conditioning to sleep in nature.  :huh: I go, though, because he seems to forget every year that I really do not enjoy the experience. 
By yesterday, I was beyond done. Mainly because family time isn't family time when dh spends all day on the river fishing and it's incredibly annoying to have to entertain my dd alone in the middle of NOTHING. (She and I ended up driving around for 3 hours just so she'd take a nap.) 

Anyway, we ended up coming home last night. I pulled a diva move and just told him I was miserable, cranky, and wanted to go home. PLUS, I was pretty nervous about a storm that was headed our way. He seemed to think it wouldn't be anything, but we still packed up. He was upset  and disappointed and I totally understand why. But, I have to say, I felt justified in my request when 30 minutes after we left, we ran into some nasty, nasty storms. It stormed the whole 3 hours home ( a storm that was continually moving in the direction of our campsite). There's also a flash flood warning there. 
So, he may be a bit pouty today, but we're not soaked or worse. 

That is all - I hate camping. A lot. 

• Like 2

• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Super late start today. The kids slept in until almost 8. Yay for swimming!

My family and I have had a really hard time lately. We've been really poor, had health problems, and really haven't been spending time together spiritually. I had this really weird feeling the other day that everything was going to turn around. I haven't felt that way since we moved to Oregon which is when my marriage completely turned around and everything has been going really well since then with us. Since I had that feeling the other day Matt started a second job where he makes his own hours and has made $200, the kids have enjoyed swimming for the first time since John was a baby, and I have been feeling really good about working out again. If we could just get our spiritual life together things would be pretty much perfect. Well, that and we need a new baby.

I love how tired they get swimming.  In the early years it may even mean naps all around.  Woot woot!

Thanks so much for sharing so we can lift you up in prayer.  Funnily enough, I was just thinking of you this morning and especially how discouraging it must be to miss exercising due to all your recent health issues.  I'm so glad to hear that things are improving all around.  And the new job!  How great is that!  Prayers are headed your way for some daily spiritual bread;  and that hoped-for baby too. ;) 

:grouphug:   

• Like 4

Venting and feeling a bit justified -

My husband took us camping this week. I say "took us", because I do not voluntarily leave my air conditioning to sleep in nature.  :huh: I go, though, because he seems to forget every year that I really do not enjoy the experience. 

By yesterday, I was beyond done. Mainly because family time isn't family time when dh spends all day on the river fishing and it's incredibly annoying to have to entertain my dd alone in the middle of NOTHING. (She and I ended up driving around for 3 hours just so she'd take a nap.) 

Anyway, we ended up coming home last night. I pulled a diva move and just told him I was miserable, cranky, and wanted to go home. PLUS, I was pretty nervous about a storm that was headed our way. He seemed to think it wouldn't be anything, but we still packed up. He was upset  and disappointed and I totally understand why. But, I have to say, I felt justified in my request when 30 minutes after we left, we ran into some nasty, nasty storms. It stormed the whole 3 hours home ( a storm that was continually moving in the direction of our campsite). There's also a flash flood warning there. 

So, he may be a bit pouty today, but we're not soaked or worse. 

That is all - I hate camping. A lot. 

Ugh.  Hugs.  Camping I love.  But camping-with-three-year-olds-and-rain I DETEST.  We've done it a few times and it's misery (not for the kids, of course; but for the Event Planner/Site Builder/Diaper Changer/Fire Keeper/Three Meals A Day Cooker/Kid Protector/and Full-Time Dairy Cow------namely, ME----- it's awful.)  In dh's mind it's always gonna be just like his old bachelor days, when he threw a sheet over a branch and hiked all day, then happily ate Ramen by the fire before bed under the stars.   Somehow he never remembers that there are now also a handful of entirely useless but very high-maintenance short people around.  Plus a usually very pregnant wife.  

• Like 3

I love how tired they get swimming. In the early years it may even mean naps all around. Woot woot!

Thanks so much for sharing so we can lift you up in prayer. Funnily enough, I was just thinking of you this morning and especially how discouraging it must be to miss exercising due to all your recent health issues. I'm so glad to hear that things are improving all around. And the new job! How great is that! Prayers are headed your way for some daily spiritual bread; and that hoped-for baby too. ;)

:grouphug:

Awe. You're so sweet for a bird. I just started Long Story Short which is technically for kids, but I could go for a nice little Bible survey. I really need to be in the habit of reading every day. I'm so bad at that.

• Like 3

Awe. You're so sweet for a bird. I just started Long Story Short which is technically for kids, but I could go for a nice little Bible survey. I really need to be in the habit of reading every day. I'm so bad at that.

That's the big reason kiddos and I attend a Community Bible Study in our area.   It's an in-depth study of the text, not topical.   Technically, you have 10-15 minutes of homework each day, so when I'm being good I'm doing 20 minutes of study plus prayer each morning.  Even when I'm bad and cram it all into Tuesday night, I still get a lot from it, and from the amazing women in my group.  I've been going now for four years.  LOVE it.  Kids adore it, too.  

Our CBS is for women, though there are coed groups out there too.  And we have a birth through K children's program and a 1st-8th homeschool class that does the same texts as the women.  And our leaders make every effort to provide rides for those who need them.   :thumbup1:

I just checked:  There are three that meet in your area.  No excuses now, Booya Babe.    :D   

• Like 1

Ugh.  Hugs.  Camping I love.  But camping-with-three-year-olds-and-rain I DETEST.  We've done it a few times and it's misery (not for the kids, of course; but for the Event Planner/Site Builder/Diaper Changer/Fire Keeper/Three Meals A Day Cooker/Kid Protector/and Full-Time Dairy Cow------namely, ME----- it's awful.)  In dh's mind it's always gonna be just like his old bachelor days, when he threw a sheet over a branch and hiked all day, then happily ate Ramen by the fire before bed under the stars.   Somehow he never remembers that there are now also a handful of entirely useless but very high-maintenance short people around.  Plus a usually very pregnant wife.  

Yes!  - he doesn't realize exhausting it is because he's relaxing and fishing. I don't mind him fishing, but when it's all day while I'm hot, sticky, and being eaten alive by ants and mosquitos while dealing with an equally cranky preschooler, it's very frustrating. 

Maybe next time we can rent a camper. We can't buy one yet, but maybe one day we can. Until then, renting a camper would make me MUCH happier. We shall see. 

• Like 1

Or a yurt. I could camp in a yurt. 

Yurts are cool. 

ETA: a deluxe yurt with electricity, water, and air. 

Oh wow!!

Yurts ARE cool!  

Or this, which I saw the other day and really lusted after until I remembered: oh yeah. sexy-hubby-n-I-now-have-five-other-people-with-us-too.  But isn't it fabulous to dream?  And maybe your fisherman and dc could sleep under the stars while YOU get the yurt or portable luxury home.  

• Like 1

That's the big reason kiddos and I attend a Community Bible Study in our area. It's an in-depth study of the text, not topical. Technically, you have 10-15 minutes of homework each day, so when I'm being good I'm doing 20 minutes of study plus prayer each morning. Even when I'm bad and cram it all into Tuesday night, I still get a lot from it, and from the amazing women in my group. I've been going now for four years. LOVE it. Kids adore it, too.

Our CBS is for women, though there are coed groups out there too. And we have a birth through K children's program and a 1st-8th homeschool class that does the same texts as the women. And our leaders make every effort to provide rides for those who need them. :thumbup1:

I just checked: There are three that meet in your area. No excuses now, Booya Babe. :D

I must be dumb. I don't see any in Oregon.

Oh wow!!

Yurts ARE cool!  

Or this, which I saw the other day and really lusted after until I remembered: oh yeah. sexy-hubby-n-I-now-have-five-other-people-with-us-too.  But isn't it fabulous to dream?  And maybe your fisherman and dc could sleep under the stars while YOU get the yurt or portable luxury home.  

I love those. I tried to talk my husband into one before babies happened. No-go.

Hmmm.  I threw in a Beaverton zip code here and got three within 25 miles: one in Beaverton and one in W. Portland and one in some other town.  But maybe I had wrong zip?  

It was much harder on my fone. I'll check it out when I have more time. 2 are close.

:smash:

• Like 2

Southern,

So sorry to hear about your camping trip.  My dh goes on a camping trip every year - he takes the kids who like to camp.  The rest of us stay home and enjoy our house.  No hard feelings.  I don't insult him for leaving a perfectly furnished, heated home to drive hundreds of miles to sleep on the cold hard floor of the woods and cook by primitive means.  And he doesn't harbor any ill will towards those of us who stay home.  It's a win-win. 

(And if he ever forgets it, I'll send him to the dog house, lol, <see Slache's link above>)

• Like 4

Dh's first Christmas gifts to me were cookie sheets.  I was offended until he told me that they weren't just any cookie sheets.  These were researched by him calling all the top bakers in the area to ask them which were the best.  Apparently none told him to skip giving me cookie sheets!  Actually now that I'm middle aged, I appreciate these uber practical gifts.  

• Like 7

I love those. I tried to talk my husband into one before babies happened. No-go.

It was much harder on my fone. I'll check it out when I have more time. 2 are close.

:smash:

yippee skippy!   about the 2 are close.  not the yurt.  

So my slippers got thrown in the washer because I just swept out the garage in them (stupid), and therefore I found myself with cold feet and finally just went upstairs to get socks.  I picked out the yellow-toed ones with "here comes the sun" embroidered on them in turquoise, just.for.you.

It is not every day that someone dedicates their socks to you.  

Be delighted and have a sunshiny day.  I must go be productive before the crazies get back home.   :leaving:

• Like 3

Southern,

So sorry to hear about your camping trip.  My dh goes on a camping trip every year - he takes the kids who like to camp.  The rest of us stay home and enjoy our house.  No hard feelings.  I don't insult him for leaving a perfectly furnished, heated home to drive hundreds of miles to sleep on the cold hard floor of the woods and cook by primitive means.  And he doesn't harbor any ill will towards those of us who stay home.  It's a win-win. 

(And if he ever forgets it, I'll send him to the dog house, lol, <see Slache's link above>)

It took me *way* too long to figure out why this paragraph began with the word Southern. Our plan beginning in a few years is for Daddy to take the kids camping for a week every summer so Mama can do school stuff. I like camping for 3 days when the weathers nice and there's a clean place with pluming *including* a sink. None of this outhouse crap.

Dh's first Christmas gifts to me were cookie sheets.  I was offended until he told me that they weren't just any cookie sheets.  These were researched by him calling all the top bakers in the area to ask them which were the best.  Apparently none told him to skip giving me cookie sheets!  Actually now that I'm middle aged, I appreciate these uber practical gifts.  

I *love* practical gifts. Right now my list includes really good spatulas, waffle iron plates for my thingie, Grey's Anatomy in MOBI, a silk pillowcase, hiking pants, yoga pants, 50 lb plates (lifting), a pull up bar, and colored pencils. Yes I want kitchen stuff and workout equipment please.

Dh is hereby banned from ever buying toilet paper again.  Not only did he buy sandpaper, but it is one-ply sandpaper.  

We always buy the exact same TP, PT, pads, socks, underwear... He can't get it wrong because it's been the same for years. It's easier that way.

• Like 4

I like camping. Dh & I have camped at least once/year every year.
Dh buys fresh fruit & veg almost every day on his way home from work. He's good at it.

I had to drive a silly far distance to exchange one of dd's scrub tops because it was defective (seam didn't quite catch & it fell apart after a couple washes) & the store where she got it would not transfer the item in for her. Drive took too long and I got too hungry & came home & gobbled up way too much lunch. I feel like a blerch now.

I'm actually getting bored of the Duggar thread.

• Like 4

We always buy the exact same TP, PT, pads, socks, underwear... He can't get it wrong because it's been the same for years. It's easier that way.

We always buy the exact same TP too.  Dh said that he was tired and didn't want to go to Costco to get it.  But. . . the same brand is available at our local grocery store.  You don't HAVE to go to Costco, even if it is cheaper there.  Oh well.  We took a family vote and banned him from future TP buying so it shouldn't be an issue, right?  

• Like 2

We always buy the exact same TP too. Dh said that he was tired and didn't want to go to Costco to get it. But. . . the same brand is available at our local grocery store. You don't HAVE to go to Costco, even if it is cheaper there. Oh well. We took a family vote and banned him from future TP buying so it shouldn't be an issue, right?

That's comical. I'm sorry about your bottom.

• Like 2

Southern,

I think he actually understood this time that I REALLY don't like it. lol I'm just glad that I had more reasons to back me up other than just being miserable. The weather really was bad later that night. 

We slept in today, took naps, and he's off fishing at one of his normal fishing spots now. lol  Can't keep the man from fishing! 

I like your idea though! If we had a cabin, I'd be up for that too. Anywhere we can still do "camp" stuff (firepits, roasting marshmallows, etc), but I can escape the onslaught of nature. You should see my feet and legs. I was an ant and mosquito feast. :(

ETA: My sister called me a diva the other day. I try not to act like it, but I'm beginning to think she was probably right. 

• Like 4

I do not camp.

I grew up with a mom who was always trying to save a buck, and she bought cheap toilet paper.  We will always have decent toilet paper.  When dh was unemployed for six months, we had decent toilet paper.

Nan came back from respite in a hot mess!  She acts like she has PTSD.  Also, I saw where she fell, and she has eight staples.  She is super confused.  I am worried she will be up all night!   :huh:  

All four of my kids are sick.  College girl has strep, ds14 has a fever and cold symptoms, and the other two have colds.  We are typhoid Mary around here.

The marriage conference was cool!  One take-away that I will generously share with the lot of ya:  Learn the difference between goals and desires.  Goals are things that you have complete control over, and desires are things that depend on other people or circumstances.  I liked it.  Not confusing goals with desires is a great help in relationships.

Boo on sick kids and 8 staples and all that.  

Though I have to admit, every time I read Nan I picture Nan in Mass.

Great advice!

Very gentle hugs for Nan.  8 staples?  That was a major fall.  

Very gentle hugs for Tex.  And a Haz-mat suit to protect her from all the sick people in her house.  

Yep.  It was more major than we were told, I believe.  I hope I do not get sick.

Boo on sick kids and 8 staples and all that.  

Though I have to admit, every time I read Nan I picture Nan in Mass.

Great advice!

I think Nan in Mass is in better shape  than the woman currently seated across from me!  If not, we need to quick, do an intervention.

• Like 2

All four of my kids are sick.  College girl has strep, ds14 has a fever and cold symptoms, and the other two have colds.  We are typhoid Mary around here.

We've had a weird virus going around the area. It looks just like strep, feels like strep, but antibiotics do nothing. Dd had it and ran a high fever for 3 days. Then, 3 of the teachers at my school got it. It was pretty crappy. 

I like the hazmat suite idea someone had. Get that on quickly!

• Like 2

During dh's last illness I wore a mask to protect myself from him.  (Since I've now been on antibiotics for 5 months and counting there was good reason for this.)  What he didn't appreciate is that I would call out "contagion!"  "contagion!"  whenever he came near.  It did remind him to not get close to me though.  My doctor thoroughly approved.  

• Like 6

I only have one official vegetarian cookbook, and while it's sort of old, it's apparently still out there (yay!).  I bought it for a few bucks from a sale table, about 12 years ago.  We've settled into our dozen or so favorite recipes from the book (as you can tell by our worn binding), but honestly I've had success with most everything in it I've tried.  (If I didn't ilke it, it was generally because of ingredients I don't like, such as rutabagas, not because the recipe was bad.) The Broccoli Risotto Torte (made with the homemade vegetable broth also in the book) is time intensive, but TO DIE FOR.   That recipe alone is worth the price of the book.  Rave reviews at any brunch I've ever brought it to.  Brawls have broken out over it as people fight to get to the front of the line.  

Well, maybe not.  But my husband always issues dire threats should I return home without leftovers for him.   ;)

IThe book is now on the way. thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

That's the big reason kiddos and I attend a Community Bible Study in our area.   It's an in-depth study of the text, not topical.   Technically, you have 10-15 minutes of homework each day, so when I'm being good I'm doing 20 minutes of study plus prayer each morning.  Even when I'm bad and cram it all into Tuesday night, I still get a lot from it, and from the amazing women in my group.  I've been going now for four years.  LOVE it.  Kids adore it, too.  

Our CBS is for women, though there are coed groups out there too.  And we have a birth through K children's program and a 1st-8th homeschool class that does the same texts as the women.  And our leaders make every effort to provide rides for those who need them.   :thumbup1:

I just checked:  There are three that meet in your area.  No excuses now, Booya Babe.    :D   

We had a nice CBS in our area. It was a women's one, once a week in the mornings and had a good children's program. I hadn't been in a couple of years, and when I went to look it up again to see what they would be studying this past year, found out it disbanded. I'm not sure why. A former facilitator told me some people had left and there wasn't time to get new people into the training. That's too bad. I miss it. My dh isn't Christian, and it was easier on everyone for our church days to happen when he was at work.

• Like 1

We had a nice CBS in our area. It was a women's one, once a week in the mornings and had a good children's program. I hadn't been in a couple of years, and when I went to look it up again to see what they would be studying this past year, found out it disbanded. I'm not sure why. A former facilitator told me some people had left and there wasn't time to get new people into the training. That's too bad. I miss it. My dh isn't Christian, and it was easier on everyone for our church days to happen when he was at work.

That is too bad!  

Ours is biggish… maybe 200 people?  And they have 2 leaders for each core group.  But I've wondered if they are going to be running into staffing problems because so many on leadership are around retirement age, and not many middle-agers are stepping up to be trained.  It's tricky:  so many of the younger women are overburdened with outside jobs or parents to care for or (like me) are raising little ones at a later age than people used to.  I'd love to do leadership…but not until there are no more in diapers.  

A family we know has the measles! We have not been exposed to them, though.

DD was briefly believed to have them 2 years ago.

It was HORRIFIC.  Masks, sanitation measures, doctors leaving buildings before we entered them, five hours of me alone in an ER isolation room with 4 hungry kids under age 5 just waiting for the protocols to be clarified with authorities (they never were) and then carried out even though they weren't clarified (ha!) before they finally released us (still with masks on, even though it had been determined hours earlier that she didn't have measles).

I'd forgotten all about that til now.  Crazy.  

ETA:  Lookie dat.  I booyad again without even trying.  Hey, how do you add -ed to booyah? 

• Like 3

I think he actually understood this time that I REALLY don't like it. lol I'm just glad that I had more reasons to back me up other than just being miserable. The weather really was bad later that night. 

We slept in today, took naps, and he's off fishing at one of his normal fishing spots now. lol  Can't keep the man from fishing! 

I like your idea though! If we had a cabin, I'd be up for that too. Anywhere we can still do "camp" stuff (firepits, roasting marshmallows, etc), but I can escape the onslaught of nature. You should see my feet and legs. I was an ant and mosquito feast. :(

ETA: My sister called me a diva the other day. I try not to act like it, but I'm beginning to think she was probably right. 

Oh lord. I love my husband, but sometimes he's a bit dense. He just laminated the campsite map "incase we decide to go back sometime."  :lol:  :001_huh: 

I love him. I do. But, sometimes, he just kills me. 

• Like 3