Menu

Ignore this thread!

Why must Gymnast make kindergarten so hard? I mean, really, just because you want to do something a certain way doesn't mean it's right. And you really don't need to argue about it. This was about writing the letter M.  :glare:  Maybe when she can actually blend letters together she'll see the point of learning letters. But, O. M. Goodness. She's outside making mud pies right now. We'll tackle math later. At least she likes math. Sigh.

• Like 5

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Why must Gymnast make kindergarten so hard? I mean, really, just because you want to do something a certain way doesn't mean it's right. And you really don't need to argue about it. This was about writing the letter M.  :glare:  Maybe when she can actually blend letters together she'll see the point of learning letters. But, O. M. Goodness. She's outside making mud pies right now. We'll tackle math later. At least she likes math. Sigh.

How does she want to make her M?

• Like 1

I am cleaning the printer heads.  Over.  and over.  and over.  Again.

The printer whines about "low ink" such a long time before the ink cartridge is empty, so we have learned to ignore it until print jobs start coming out faint.  This happened, of course, right in the middle of printing a bunch of stuff out.  I've got DD15 enough printed to get herself started, and I've changed the ink.  Now I'm trying to clean the heads enough it will stop leaving gaps in the test print.

Hmm....  I've decided I've run it through enough cleaning cycles for now.  The last two test prints have the exact same pattern of gaps.  I'll have DH trouble-shoot this evening.  Now to try printing to see if I can get usable stuff out of it.

This is a lot more hassle than changing a typewriter ribbon ever was, though I have to admit, I didn't get my fingers all black and the typewriters didn't mix colored type readily.

• Like 1

If you forget to pull back out the little tray that catches the printouts the printouts will fall onto the floor.

If your DH has a powerful fan on a timer to blow across the floor and help circulate cool air into the dead zones (poor air circulation design in this house) the printouts will go -- quite quickly! -- into lots of very interesting places.

I have discovered more places that have not been swept or dusted for too long.

• Like 4

Yup, I'd like to know how they trained the horses and humans.

I bet the horses are irked, too, because I don't believe the humans stand around watching for the horses to ask for their blankets later.  The communication is still being triggered by the humans, done only when the humans are ready for it.  Humans are so self-centered!

• Like 2

I'm frustrated with phonics.

He can't seem to get from /c//a//t/ to cat. It's just not clicking.

Anyone have any tricks or should I just quit?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Give him a break from it and try again on another day.  Sometimes their brains are busy developing other pathways and just need you to cycle back to the phonics later.

• Like 4

How does she want to make her M?

She wants to lift her pencil after each stroke. The only time I want her to lift the pencil is coming from the first downstroke of the capital to go back to the top. This sounds petty, but she's currently tracing and that covers mistakes. If she continues practicing this way, when she writes on her own, it creates gaps and x's, and she'll cry and lament of how she sucks at writing. I'm trying to prevent that. 

• Like 2

Renai, can kindergarten wait another year?

Lan, starfall.com

No. She turns 6 at the turn of the year. And she's smart enough to do it, she just chooses to be ornery. Just because. And I've found out that with her the passive learning doesn't go very far. She is very hands-on.

ETA: passive learning = internet stuff

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

She wants to lift her pencil after each stroke. The only time I want her to lift the pencil is coming from the first downstroke of the capital to go back to the top. This sounds petty, but she's currently tracing and that covers mistakes. If she continues practicing this way, when she writes on her own, it creates gaps and x's, and she'll cry and lament of how she sucks at writing. I'm trying to prevent that. 

Yes, exactly.  Also, learning to write the letter without lifting between strokes will help strengthen her hand and speed up her writing.  Granted, these are not important concerns at this early stage, but it's harder to train away poor habits that were formed early than to go slower and insist on better form to begin with.

This is my primary argument with my kids over why I'm such a stickler for proper ergonomics at the computer.

• Like 1

Warm food going down the throat and into the tummy.

Socks in crazy colors and patterns

My kids

These are a few of my favorite things. . .   (not that my kids are things but you know what I mean. . .)

Like.

Out of likes again.

• Like 1

Quit. Or just go back to the stuff he gets.

When my oldest was that age, we were in a similar situation. I complained to an older and wiser mom that he was 5 1/2 - he should be getting it! And she said "What does 5 1/2 have to do with anything? He doesn't have any learning delay issues; he'll get it soon enough." And he did. All of my kids have been at least 8yo before they were reading simple books fairly fluently. They take after dh and I. :D

(This was also in my very early days when I still believed what I'd heard about homeschooling - that my kids would be reading Treasure Island at 6yo and creating architectual masterpieces out of toothpicks by age 8. Those were the days! :D )

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

I don't know if this will help at all, but just a thought. Dd is doing CLE phonics and one exercise they do every day for a while is the teacher says each sound of the word //c// //a// //t// and then the kids "says it fast ... cat" and they do about 20 of those every day. The kid isn't looking at anything. Just listening. So they get in the habit of hearing the sounds and then running them together to make words. That really helped my other dd last year when phonics just wasn't clicking with her.
  • Like 6

Quit. Or just go back to the stuff he gets.

When my oldest was that age, we were in a similar situation. I complained to an older and wiser mom that he was 5 1/2 - he should be getting it! And she said "What does 5 1/2 have to do with anything? He doesn't have any learning delay issues; he'll get it soon enough." And he did. All of my kids have been at least 8yo before they were reading simple books fairly fluently. They take after dh and I. :D

I don't know why it's frustrating me today. I'm usually not pushy with him. And I've always known that this would be difficult for him due to his language delay.

It just feels like he's not trying. But maybe I'm expecting too much.

Learning to read is not an easy thing to do.

• Like 3

I'd cut instruction to two minutes a day, keep trying it most days, and keep it fun. His brain is going to get there, but maybe not until he's 6 or so. They all ripen in their own time. (Mine tends to be about 2 years behind where I was at his age, so I get the frustration!)

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 5

I don't know why it's frustrating me today. I'm usually not pushy with him. And I've always known that this would be difficult for him due to his language delay.

Like.

No, it isn't easy, is it?  But it is so rewarding that once we become fluent at it it's hard to imagine how hard it was back at the beginning.

When I was growing up preschool was not that common, and kindergarten only ran half a day.  It was usual and expected then for kids to get their first introduction to letters in K.  I had a K teacher who refused to believe me when I told her I knew how to read some.  She told me flat-out, "No you can't", and when I insisted she pushed a book in front of me, pointed to some words, and demanded that I read them aloud.  I told her I couldn't read those words yet, then started reading others as I pointed to them.  She was quite surprised to find out from Mom later that yes, indeed, Mom actually had taught me my letters and some simple words.  Imagine the audacity -- parents presuming to teach their children!

I had a reading knack.  One of my DDs inherited it, the other did not.  Both of them read quite readily and happily now.  

Don't fret.  Try lots of different things.  Ask him if there's some game you two could invent to practice letters, sounds, and games.  Sometimes the child himself can tell us how he learns.

• Like 3

Our favorite way to make letters was to roll pretzel dough into tubes and form the letters.  Not that that helped with handwriting. . .   My teens still talk about doing that. 

Yes, we do this too. That is also something she wants to do her way, which is to take little pieces and mush them together until she gets the letter form. I also have her roll them too (my way) to make the letters, as it helps with hand strength. But, everything just has to be "her way" for everything. Just because.

Public school fodder, wouldn't you agree?  :lol:

Yes, we do this too. That is also something she wants to do her way, which is to take little pieces and mush them together until she gets the letter form. I also have her roll them too (my way) to make the letters, as it helps with hand strength. But, everything just has to be "her way" for everything. Just because.

Public school fodder, wouldn't you agree?  :lol:

Nope.  Prime homeschool fodder.  Public school will let her do it her way until it becomes a problem. 

I had two strong-willed children.  Must have been dh's fault. 

• Like 3

Yes, exactly.  Also, learning to write the letter without lifting between strokes will help strengthen her hand and speed up her writing.  Granted, these are not important concerns at this early stage, but it's harder to train away poor habits that were formed early than to go slower and insist on better form to begin with.

This is my primary argument with my kids over why I'm such a stickler for proper ergonomics at the computer.

I'm also a stickler for pencil grip, because someone has nerve pains in the hands which makes it hard for her (me) to write for long periods of time. She ALMOST made an issue of that too today! She knows how to hold a pencil, so when she slipped, I just gently told her to hold the pencil correctly. She did the fist grip.  :mad:  Why? Just because.

• Like 1

Especially if the child (I'm not naming names, but she is the subject of a few posts today) wants to learn to read, but doesn't want to be bothered with those bothersome details - like letters.  :willy_nilly:

We did get through writing the letter M. Then we went outside to make mud pies. Mud starts with M. :D Then we had a picnic. And we're both still breathing.

• Like 1

Nope.  Prime homeschool fodder.  Public school will let her do it her way until it becomes a problem. 

I thought the same thing, until my mom came to visit and smirked when I told her all my Gymnast woes.  :mellow:

• Like 5

I've only taught four kids how to read....but in my experience, each of them needed a break until they cognitively understood blending. For those who wanted to continue practicing, we kept sounding out nonsense words....

first: the first phoneme changed

bam

sam

ram

then I'd change up the end phoneme:

raf

rat

rag

ram

the hardest for my kids with cvc words has been the changing v:

ram

rim

rom

rum

rem

etc.

• Like 1

I'm reminded of why my shelves are full of curricula I'd be willing to sell but haven't. Someone on the local boards asked if someone had xyz available for sale. I replied that I did. The potential buyer has changed the meet up date three times and today canceled on me.  People change their minds, people are reluctant to spend money, whatever.....but it's dang frustrating.

I'm going back to my previous position of donate and be done with it, even though we could use the money if we sold stuff.

• Like 3

Oh, yes, and for this statement. These statements. She'd be someone else's problem to drive crazy.  :lol:  Then again, I know way too many people in the system. What of my reputation?!?!  :rofl:

• Like 1

I'm still not pulling out of my autoimmune crash. The timing on this is really poor, but could be worse.  I really need to get through the end of December and then I can crash for a bit.  Somebody make that happen, ok?  :gnorsi:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Renai--I can relate to your experience in the car yesterday. I'm sorry. :(  Magnesium helps me a lot.  

Okay, so I admit it.  I was poopooing the magnesium suggestion in my head.  But then I was at the store for Nyquil for DH, and picked up a bottle of magnesium, and well...

you were right!  No headaches.  Woot!

I don't know if it has actually been long enough to be a true indicator.  Maybe I wouldn't have had them this past week anyway.  I'll let you know in a month or two. :)  But...

you were right!  No headaches.  Woot!

• Like 8

The college has been shut down due to a power outage. I don't know why since it is a beautiful day. Traffic is a zoo due to all these college students trying to leave so I am waiting for ds across the freeway. This was a bad day for him to decide to take his guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1

WE DD FORGOT AN ONLINE CLASS!  DD WAS ALMOST 15 MINUTES LATE!!  :svengo: Slacker.

FTFY :hat:

Yay!!  A Booyah!

I dedicate this Booyah to that forgetful student who made this post possible.  You know who you are. :D  And don't go blaming your mom.  It's your class.  Own it!

#notmom'sfault

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 7

FTFY :hat:

Yay!!  A Booyah!

I dedicate this Booyah to that forgetful student who made this post possible.  You know who you are. :D  And don't go blaming your mom.  It's your class.  Own it!

#notmom'sfault

Actually, DD said just that.  :o   I just feel terrible about it.  Nothing goes well when Mama starts the day almost 2 hours late.

• Like 4

And a band is being formed.  Ds met a guy yesterday in his music theory class.  They decided to meet today to play.  They mentioned it to another guy in music class today who just happened to have his guitar and amp with him.  Next they want to find a drummer. 

Woohoo!

Still out of likes here.  Everyone consider themselves liked, because I really do like you all!

• Like 1