• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

But if you listed their year of birth, you'd never have to update anything. :D People can figure out on their own how old the dc are, and grade levels are irrelevant for homeschooled children, right? Well, there you go. :001_tt2:

I prefer making others do the math to figure out in what year my kids were born, since they will simply skip it if they are not really interested.  By listing their ages (updated at SOME point during the year) I help myself remember how old they are.  I know their birthdates easy-peasy.  It's the ages that keep changing on me.

• Like 1

I never thought I would ban words in my house, but I am seriously considering a ban on the following words (and variations thereof) in all future educational assignments: pee, poop, and Bob.

Seriously, kid, expand your repertoire.

• Like 6

I never thought I would ban words in my house, but I am seriously considering a ban on the following words (and variations thereof) in all future educational assignments: pee, poop, and Bob.

So, no more Minion humor?   :laugh:

• Like 1

I prefer making others do the math to figure out in what year my kids were born, since they will simply skip it if they are not really interested.  By listing their ages (updated at SOME point during the year) I help myself remember how old they are.  I know their birthdates easy-peasy.  It's the ages that keep changing on me.

Yes, exactly.

• Like 1

Something sounds like a snippy, put-out cat.  I think it's the ceiling fan starting to squeak.

DH was supposed to have today and tomorrow off as vacation days, then "they" scheduled a mandatory meeting tomorrow morning.  We didn't have specific plans for the long weekend, so he opted to take his vacation days some other time to accommodate the all-important meeting.

Now "they" have cancelled the meeting PLUS put a ban on ALL travel, meaning the guy who is supposed to drive 10 miles away on Monday to observe a test will now be breaking the rules if he goes.  So instead of having some quiet days off of work DH has now spent a day preparing for a meeting that won't happen and will spend tomorrow chasing down clarification of the poorly-worded travel ban and helping his bunch figure out how to fulfill commitments to customers when they can't lay eyes on the problem.

Let me know how that works out for you!
  • Like 2

Apparently we do not have a clogged drain. So now an appliance guy has told me how to fix my washing machine problem with zip ties. Now I have to buy zip ties and try it. I have all my fingers and toes crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd better buy some duct tape while you're at it.  Just in case.

• Like 7

I have completed my hour/3 miles of walking on the treadmill for today.  I also got some cleaning done in the homeschool room AND started looking over calendars to determine how many school days we want to attempt this year.  All in all I did a bunch and still have more I will get done today (cooking supper, washing up pots & pans, run 1 or 2 more loads of laundry -- all before shower and clean jammies), so I felt I deserved a treat.  I ran to the nearby grocery store and bought myself some of the Chobani Flip yogurts -- not the healthiest yogurts around, I know, but they include a bit of chocolate and they are better than other ways I might treat myself to some chocolate.

I'm a sweaty mess but I got to thumb my nose at the heat.  My truck's thermometer said it was 108 degrees out there when I headed out to the store but I was ALREADY a sweaty mess before I stepped outside.  Take THAT, atrocious heat!  Beat ya to it!

• Like 5

I have a prescription for 25mg of Zoloft.

Remember when I wanted to know how much weight I lost when I had the baby? Well I was so full of fluids that I couldn't tell. He's now 7 weeks old and since right before he was born I've lost (aside from his weight) SEVENTEEN POUNDS! Gross!

And I weigh 4 pounds less than when I conceived. :coolgleamA:

Eta: BOO-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-YA!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 13

Remember when I wanted to know how much weight I lost when I had the baby? Well I was so full of fluids that I couldn't tell. He's now 7 weeks old and since right before he was born I've lost (aside from his weight) SEVENTEEN POUNDS! Gross!

That deserves a mid-page BOO-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-YA!

• Like 2

Eta: BOO-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-YA!

A-HA!!!!

Now we all know what to do to lose weight:  Get pregnant!  :scared:

:laugh:

• Like 3

A-HA!!!!

Now we all know what to do to lose weight:  Get pregnant!  :scared:

:laugh:

Yeah, it worked for me (for a while), but I don't want to return to that method at this age.

Seriously, with both girls I was severely nauseous for the first 6 months.  With elder DD I lost 15 lbs in the first trimester alone.  I ended up on Zofran because I couldn't even keep down water without it.  I lost my wedding ring when it flew off my finger, which led to a melt-down on my part.  (Youngest DSIL promptly borrowed her Dad's metal detector and found it again for me.)

I love my girls and I'm happy I have 2 healthy kids, but I don't think I could handle that again.

• Like 2

I have been tackling the massive hard water stains in the shower.  :glare:

:grouphug: I was just there. I try to do it at least once a month, but it's such a thankless task....

What do you use?   :bigear:

• Like 2

What do you use?   :bigear:

I'm using a mixture of vinegar and distilled water.  I think the distilled water is the key; otherwise, you're just recontaminating with the same hard water.  And elbow grease.   :glare:  Not so easy with RA.

I have not been completely successful with this method, so maybe Critterfixer will have some other advice.

I have heard that Barkeeper's Friend works well for hard water stains, but I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4

I've been singularly blah today, too. I think it is the combination of travel yesterday and the prospect of travel tomorrow, the day after that, the day after that and the day after that. Urg.

I think it's just a Blah-Thursday. August is the worst. Everything here is dusty and hot, the plants are all stressed due to the 11+ days over 100 degrees, I'm tired of summer vacation, but not wanting to get back to school.
  • Like 3

I have literally tried everything for the hard water stains here. I have concluded that I am fighting four mineral pests: iron, calcium, sulfur and copper. In that order. The Works is the only thing that works. And that still requires some elbow grease, but it's doable. 

ETA: What has not worked: vinegar and boiling water, Barkeeper's Friend, Limeaway, Kaboom, CLR, Iron Out, cursing, threatening to kill anyone who uses a bar soap....

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

I think it's just a Blah-Thursday. August is the worst. Everything here is dusty and hot, the plants are all stressed due to the 11+ days over 100 degrees, I'm tired of summer vacation, but not wanting to get back to school. 

Yeah--and there's a bunch of August left to go...

• Like 2

I am back from the tutorial parent meeting. It was crowded and chaotic and I wandered around for ages trying to find the girls' teachers to get the syllabuses. I don't care if that's not the correct plural.

A bad way to end a bad day. Ds11 was STILL DOING HIS MATH when I left for the meeting at 6:30. He was averaging one problem every 20-30 minutes. And not from daydreaming or wasting time, either. It was long division - things like 431,898 divided by 79. He did manage to finish his 15 problems by the time I got back. I didn't get any dinner. Turns out dd10 has NOT been completing her English lessons. Dh's back is so bad he can barely move, but can't get to a doctor until Saturday. The auto shop said they were down a couple of mechanics, so the van will have to be there tomorrow too. For a stupid oil change and inspection! Really? Two days? We have people who need to get to work and other appointments but fortunately I have no need to do anything but taxi people around all day. That was sarcasm.

Ranting over. I am going to watch Stranger Things and eat toffee.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2