• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Have you tried cooling towels? I picked up one off of amazon. I also sleep with a fan blowing directly on me.

I forgot about the cooling towel I have buried in the back of my fridge.  I'll dig that out -- I have personal training again today.

DH set me up with a remote for our ceiling fan so I can turn it on and off at night without getting out of bed.  It helps until I wake again from too much fan, or from being more sensitive to the slight noise (some nights I'm more sensitive than others).

Have any of you tried cooling bedding or pajamas?  Any idea if those work at all?

I am on my phone to post and I can't figure out how to do it from here. :(

Okay, everyone.  Prairie gets Booyah grace until she can get back to a computer and edit her lizard booyah post accordingly!

Good Morning, Girlies!

COFFEE!

Dawn, I'm sorry about the insomnia! Hope you can get a nap in sometime today!

Prairie, at least your lizards are living. My cat deposits chewed up lizards right outside the back door! Bleh!

AMJ, no advice. My hot flashes come and go. I'd go 6 months with horrible hot flashes and no cycle and then, everything changes back again. Herbs seem to help the most - I take Black Cohosh, Vitex and St John's Wort.

Well, no big plans for today! Just continuing school prep, housework (someone needs to invent a self-cleaning bathroom) and work on those Christmas stockings! They're pretty easy. No fancy schmancy embellishments or anything.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Okay, SOMEBODY mentioned a desire for self-cleaning bathrooms, which got me to google "self-cleaning toilet".  Unfortunately these are still outside of reasonable price range for home use -- up to $500K for a public single-seater restroom that cleans the toilet (seat and all), sink, AND floor between users.  Even the "home" version of just a self-cleaning throne is pricey at $6K to $15K, and those don't even clean the seat.

The only thing that worked for me was using yam cream for a few months. Otherwise, nothing cooled me down enough! I repeated using the cream once or twice.

Thank you, I hadn't heard of yam cream (I originally misread that as "yarn cream").  I'll check into that.

Okay, SOMEBODY mentioned a desire for self-cleaning bathrooms, which got me to google "self-cleaning toilet".  Unfortunately these are still outside of reasonable price range for home use -- up to $500K for a public single-seater restroom that cleans the toilet (seat and all), sink, AND floor between users.  Even the "home" version of just a self-cleaning throne is pricey at $6K to $15K, and those don't even clean the seat.

Okay, wow, Portland's first patent -- I don't think it's self-cleaning, but it does have certain "toilet defense" features.  The Portland Loo even has its own Facebook page.  Apparently San Antonio is getting one, so if we make a trip over there we can go check one out as an additional "field trip" option.  Practical applications of civil engineering, right?   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

http://www.citylab.com/design/2012/01/why-portlands-public-toilets-succeeded-where-others-failed/1020/

• Like 2

I'm a new member here - I see Ignore this Thread and it seems that this thread has the most replies and views, haha :D

Welcome!  Consider ITT (Ignore This Thread) the coolest hangout online.  We tend to be both silly and supportive here.  The rules: we are all friends and play nice together.

If you are going through a rough patch we give hugs.  If you get something accomplished (or are simply trying to) we cheer for you.  No judgement, only friendship.

Come and play!

• Like 2

Dd13 lit up like a firework when I mentioned NaNoWriMo to her and I promised to ask you about it. :) Is there a particularly good website to help kids through the process? I don't know anything about it.

There's a special version for kids and one for teens.  DD has done it 2 or 3 times. 

• Like 2

No, I didn't think the Portland Loo design would work well with the self-cleaning features of other cities' public conveniences.  It is designed to discourage certain nefarious activities, though, so other cities are now buying in.  It will be interesting to see how well that works out.

Besides, it would be a LOT of fun to tell the kids we would be visiting public toilets as part of a field trip.  Their expectations are already set a bit high by the Safety Rest Stops installed by some counties in Texas -- a/c, tornado shelters, playgrounds, point of interest displays, pet pit stop areas, picnic tables, water fountains,....  It could be fun to have them take notes on different accommodations and write a paper on it afterward.   :D

• Like 1

No, I didn't think the Portland Loo design would work well with the self-cleaning features of other cities' public conveniences.  It is designed to discourage certain nefarious activities, though, so other cities are now buying in.  It will be interesting to see how well that works out.

Besides, it would be a LOT of fun to tell the kids we would be visiting public toilets as part of a field trip.  Their expectations are already set a bit high by the Safety Rest Stops installed by some counties in Texas -- a/c, tornado shelters, playgrounds, point of interest displays, pet pit stop areas, picnic tables, water fountains,....  It could be fun to have them take notes on different accommodations and write a paper on it afterward.   :D

I think that they are actually buying (or maybe have bought?) a Portland Loo.  It is a bit open at the top so that you can see how many people are in there. . .

Another lizard ran into the house last night. We thankfully caught him but this is becoming ridiculous.

ETA: booya!

Here's your educational link for the day:

DH loves to catch these little guys!  He'd even hang them from his finger tips or ear lobes to show how fiercely they hang on, and how short their teeth are (too short to puncture his skin).

Dd and I could use some prayers.  (There is drama from a whacked out person of influence in the community.  I don't want to say any more publicly.) 

You got 'em by the bucket load.  No need to say more -- we have vivid imaginations.

Maybe when it's all over you can write your own hit melodrama play!

• Like 2

After a great deal of trauma over math lessons, I was about to put in a request for the Cranky Pants when I realized what my problem is.  I forgot to drink my coffee.

Forgot. to. drink. my. COFFEE!!! 

:confused1:

â€‹

How is that even possible?

On a side note, I had not fully consumed my morning cup upon my arrival in the company parking lot this morning.  People were talking about the huge sign out front, and I was like, "What sign?"  Apparently I looked right at it and then past it, and never registered that there was a huge.sign.right.there.  It was a safety sign.  But who creates a tan safety sign to blend into the surroundings?  I said in my defense that it should have been bright yellow or orange.  I was driving and watching out for pedestrians, not tan signs on the side of the road.

• Like 2

I never use an umbrella.  Over the last 16 years I always had a baby and/or a toddler (or toddlers) with me.  No way to hold an umbrella.  We just get wet.   ;)

Anyone who uses an umbrella in the PNW is roundly ridiculed.  We don't own any umbrellas.  (The rain here is so misty much of the time that an umbrella really is useless.)

It's a Singing in the Rain booyah!  (Team H)

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

It didn't' kick me off! And I can multi-quote. Life is good!

After a great deal of trauma over math lessons, I was about to put in a request for the Cranky Pants when I realized what my problem is.  I forgot to drink my coffee.

Forgot. to. drink. my. COFFEE!!! 

:confused1:

â€‹

Susan, are you feeling all right? Maybe you should sit down for a bit. You never forget to drink your coffee. I'm concerned.

I have an umbrella with bats all over it.  My dh got it when he joined the Bat Conservation Organization.

I have an umbrella with a huge picture of Elvis Presley on it. It was left by a social worker. She never came back for it.  

I never use an umbrella.  Over the last 16 years I always had a baby and/or a toddler (or toddlers) with me.  No way to hold an umbrella.  We just get wet.  ;)

we are not really good at using umbrellas around here because it never rains. Most of the time I just try to dodge the raindrops.

It's been quite the morning here! Oldest dd is tattling on the cat. The cat stole her bracelet and ran off with it. She got it back, but was all scratched up. I was not sympathetic.

And then, I was all ready and set to sew my Christmas stockings when I discovered the presser foot for my sewing machine is lost. I was quite irritated. And no, I do not want to go to Walmart to get another one. I don't want to go anywhere. So, I just pinned them all together and the project will have to wait. I hate it when that happens. I feel like my life is full of unfinished projects.

• Like 7

I have an umbrella with a huge picture of Elvis Presley on it. It was left by a social worker. She never came back for it.  

It was a decoy for a bug. They stopped listening after the first few minutes though because they realized what an awesome mom you truly are. Don't worry about looking for the bug now, though, because the batteries died long ago.

(talk about conspiracy theories... :lol: )

• Like 7

And then, I was all ready and set to sew my Christmas stockings when I discovered the presser foot for my sewing machine is lost. I was quite irritated. And no, I do not want to go to Walmart to get another one. I don't want to go anywhere. So, I just pinned them all together and the project will have to wait. I hate it when that happens. I feel like my life is full of unfinished projects.

I need to make Christmas stockings; I even bought the fabric - about 2 years ago. I need a pattern though, or they will come out like my first attempt, which was...okay...but not so good. 

• Like 3

It was a decoy for a bug. They stopped listening after the first few minutes though because they realized what an awesome mom you truly are. Don't worry about looking for the bug now, though, because the batteries died long ago.

(talk about conspiracy theories... :lol: )

Ok, that made me laugh out loud! Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2