Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am tired. It's hot. This morning it rained, but it was so hot that the rain felt like bathwater and now everything stinks like it was really dirty bathwater. Yuck!

I looked at school things today. That counts as planning. Chances are I won't actually buy anything until around October, but still. Counts. I go back and forth between the philosophy of prepare them to work hard in college or following a philosophy of just learning all we can with more enthusiasm for the learning than trying to turn everything into work. Philosophical me at this time of year can be an interesting thing when planning to buy books. I'll probably find a happy place in the middle and muddle through. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, maize said:

One requirement to earn black belt rank at this school is doing a certain number of teaching hours; dd is an assistant teacher already so should have plenty of hours but ds hasn't been awarded an assistant teacher belt yet (separate thing from rank belts, ours are black and red).

Our black/red belts are called Bo Dan and are at least one year before eligibility to test for an actual black belt.  It's what I meant when I said Black-belt candidate. 

• Like 4

Dinner’s done. We had corn on the cob. It was so good. My aunt and uncle brought some by last night. And the weather has been so pleasant this weekend we ate outside on the patio. It’s supposed to warm up again midweek, though.☀️☀️ The forecast is like an autumn forecast. It’s relatively cool today (89 degrees), supposed to warm up midweek to 100 degrees and then by next weekend it’s back down to 90 degrees. That’s what it does in late September. But then every week the high is isn’t so high and then by late October it cools down for good.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Dinner’s done. We had corn on the cob. It was so good. My aunt and uncle brought some by last night. And the weather has been so pleasant this weekend we ate outside on the patio. It’s supposed to warm up again midweek, though.☀️☀️ The forecast is like an autumn forecast. It’s relatively cool today (89 degrees), supposed to warm up midweek to 100 degrees and then by next weekend it’s back down to 90 degrees. That’s what it does in late September. But then every week the high is isn’t so high and then by late October it cools down for good.

There is something not quite right about this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Junie said:

There is something not quite right about this...

It was only 100° today. That was nice.

I was so afraid to move here because of the heat, which has caused me to become extremely sick in the past. I can't believe how I've adjusted. I think it's because the temperature is consistent. There might be a 30 degree difference between morning and evening, but it's between 95 and 105 every day instead of 70° for 2 weeks and randomly 95° one day. I can't believe how I go out walking in 102° weather and come home instead of going to the ER.

I am so happy to be here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, maize said:

It is interesting to me how differently different Martial arts schools run their rank programs. 

Do the schools your families have been associated with do black belt testing along with other rank testing? At ours it is only once a year, separate from any other testing. This year's test is coming up in a couple of weeks, it is an all day ordeal from what I hear, starting with running laps somewhere. 

I know my oldest two kids are hoping to test next year.

My son’s school is also once a year and separate from other tests. It is followed by a nice, formal dinner. It doesn’t last all day, but is quite long. They do kata, line drills, and sparring among other things. For the males, they have to spar ten adult male black belts consecutively, only moving on to the next one after they score a point. Likely primarily for that reason, 17 is the minimum age for black belt testing.

The year before their black belt test, they have to spend considerable time training at many of the other dojos in the association, so they can be observed and taught by most of the other black belts in the association, as they are the ones to give permission for black belt testing. While there is no formal teaching requirement, my son had several years of teaching experience by the time he tested, including sometimes teaching classes by himself.

• Like 6

Happy Sunday Morning!

I'm trying to talk dh into joining the church choir with me. It is something we used to do together before life with lots of little kids just got too chaotic; it would be nice to sing together again and would also give us a chance to get to know some of our new congregation better.

• Like 7

I'm having an excessively hot, grumpy morning. I swear, if I have another question thrown at me today, I will bite someone's head off. I'm pouring sweat, it's so humid that nothing will evaporate, the air conditioner can't keep up, and I am simply exhausted with everything right now.  Serenity now!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Critter- is there somewhere you can go?  Like an air/conditioned library?

The sad thing? The house is air-conditioned. It's just so hot that unless the unit runs continuously, we can't keep it down below 75 or 76 or so. And with the fact that we actually have a hole in the ceiling in one room, the humidity is up in the house, too. So it feels like a lovely 80+ in the house, despite the temp being reasonable. If I sit still, and do nothing in the darkened back room, I'm okay. Get up and try to do anything? I start sweating and feeling sick. I keep telling myself it's three days...just three days...

Going somewhere isn't an option because if we lost power, I wouldn't know. With chickens, that fan has to run constantly, and they need ice twice a day. It's near constant hands-on when it's hot like this with the birds. 

I'll get through it, but it's going to be a miserable few days.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

97 today, and it rained yesterday at a temperature of 89. It was about the most miserable thing ever. They are calling for heat indexes of over 109 today. It is so bad. We have three days of it to endure.

I'm so sorry!  I have relatives who live in Georgia and I remember visiting them as a kid.  In my head I have renamed their town "hotter than he!!" because that's how I remember it.  I also remember getting ready for church there in the 1980s - hot shower, hair dryer, hot curlers, and panty hose.  And sweat.  Lots of sweat.    <svengo!!>  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I'm so sorry!  I have relatives who live in Georgia and I remember visiting them as a kid.  In my head I have renamed their town "hotter than he!!" because that's how I remember it.  I also remember getting ready for church there in the 1980s - hot shower, hair dryer, hot curlers, and panty hose.  And sweat.  Lots of sweat.    <svengo!!>  

Oh, yeah. Just step outside and the humidity smacks you like a brick wall and everything wilts. Thankfully, we haven't had an entire summer of this, not this year, but it's still awful. They are forecasting a little break by Wednesday, and September is coming. Just feels like it can't get here soon enough.

• Like 3

I demolished book pile. Threw out some things that hurt. Kept many things that I simply couldn't part with. Too many good memories with some of my favorite picture books. But I did get rid of some things--just not some of the most precious items. So now I'm all teary and need chocolate, a shower, and something cool--like an ice cream bar, and I think we have some! Better get mine before the caterpillars gobble them all.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Happy Sunday Night!  

Kids are in bed.  I'm waiting for leftover homemade pizza to reheat.  Dh and I have a date with Poldark.  I churched, and I found all my missing underwear, and I finished the disturbing Jon Krakauer book I was reading.  It's been a productive day.  

I started Poldark. Somehow, I just couldn’t stick with it. Too much tension, I think. My threshold for tension is extremely low.

Although he is totally hot. I do have to throw that in.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Have you ever been on an antibiotic that made you sweaty?  It's driving me nuts.  And it's hard to sleep.

Warning: EdPo!!  Avert yer eyeballs!

I think I've got everything ready for tomorrow.  Between church and the concert, I got chore cards and lessons lists and schedules done and made a quick trip to the library to pick up books.  After the concert & dinner I printed everything out, loaded math programs onto the PC and laptop, had dd16 show ds14 how to find all his tutorial class assignments, cleaned up the lesson cubby area, sorted through books, did 3 loads of laundry, cleaned the stove, and got the dishwasher running.

As you were.

Goodnight!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Have you ever been on an antibiotic that made you sweaty?  It's driving me nuts.  And it's hard to sleep.

I think I've got everything ready for tomorrow.  Between church and the concert, I got chore cards and lessons lists and schedules done and made a quick trip to the library to pick up books.  After the concert & dinner I printed everything out, loaded math programs onto the PC and laptop, had dd16 show ds14 how to find all his tutorial class assignments, cleaned up the lesson cubby area, sorted through books, did 3 loads of laundry, cleaned the stove, and got the dishwasher running.

As you were.

Goodnight!

Svengo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I started Poldark. Somehow, I just couldn’t stick with it. Too much tension, I think. My threshold for tension is extremely low.

Although he is totally hot. I do have to throw that in.

Um....YES.  There is that.

And yes to the tension, too!  (But having stuck it out with Downton, DH finds Poldark a refreshing change. So we are committed now, apparently.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

You found it at church? :laugh:

You really should see the Lost and Found Shelf in the narthex coatroom there.  Truly fascinating.  

😂

Actually, I realized that after a week of nagging the kids to empty their clean laundry baskets, I ought take the log out of my own eye.  And behold!  My clean underwear!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

As you were.

Goodnight!

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Svengo.

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Monday!!!!😩😩

It is the first day of school for DS and DD1!!! First day of Christian School. DD is thrilled, DS is nervous. I think they will do fine. DS is going in to it without a lot of friends. He struggles a bit. My prayer for him is that he will make 1 good friend. Hopefully 2. All you really need is 1, though. DD has a pile of friends.

The little girls and I don’t start until next week. I have so much work to do for my job this week, though.

• Like 6

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

We are well into morning lessons.  Morning chores have been done, and now there is viola, and cello practicing going on, with dd13 doing math until her room is free for practicing.  I'm at the kitchen table drinking COFFEE with dd21.  Ducks has inspired me to get all my laundry put away.  At some point. Tomato bisque is for dinner with mini cheese sandwich crackers.  We have children's choirs this afternoon and Scouts tonight.  My alarm didn't wake me up this morning, so I only got about half my steps in.  Have to make it up later.  Dd21 is going to AFSA in a minute for school supplies.

Have a great day!

More Coffee!

• Like 6

Morning. Two more days. I can survive this.

Ice has been bought for the chicken cooling tower. We'll set it up around ten, and then restock it around four. It's not much, but just a big bucket of ice for the chickens to huddle around helps. I want a cooling tower. At least I have my writing cave. 

EDPO: Do not proceed if you have a heart condition, suffer from nervous complaints, or have a weak stomach.

I have an index card with all the stuff I need to buy for tenth grade. I'm wincing at the price for foreign language, though. Given that my internet connection is better, but also prone to go out whenever it rains, I really want to stick with something that isn't dependent on a good connection. Also, we only have one computer, and I have to work on it for much of the day, so swapping it around per boy multiple times a day isn't really going to make any of us happy. So Breaking the Barrier it is. 

However, I think with the extra work I did this week, I'm going to come close to paying for what we need. And that's good. Those new tires I had to have sure cut into what I had planned for the budget.

Getting: CLE Geometry (Yeah it's not Sunlight. Don't care.), Key To Algebra (They are doing CLE Algebra right now, and that's going well. I want something they can work on with Geometry to keep things fresh for Algebra 2),  Henle Latin 2, Breaking The Barrier Beginning French

Possibly getting something for composition, but I have so much I can use and construct, that I really don't see the need for a curriculum there. Plus, we can write across the curriculum with History, Latin, and whatever Literature I come up with from book lists. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!

Happy Monday!!

I (unexpectedly) got a lot done last week.  I'm making this week's To-Do list and trying not to be too ambitious.

I have found that what works best for me is to have a weekly list rather than a daily list.  Sometimes I have really bad days, so by writing a weekly list I can accommodate for two or three bad days.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1