Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am tired I did all the things except duolingo which I'm doing now. Goodnight.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I know of people who have slept in hammocks on a regular basis.  There's one kid in MN who sleeps in a hammock on his front porch.  I have slept in a hammock in the forest.  I think it would be incredibly comfortable if I could get the hang of the off-set/side-slant technique, but I always end up in the banana position.  Even then it's not bad.  Hammocks are super cheap on Amazon.

Properly anchoring it will be your biggest challenge.

Um... she's going to be sleeping inside.

It's going to be on a stand.

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

On the hammock thing, Slache, I’d give it a whirl with a fabric style hammock. I think the parachute nylon material or cotton stuff is safer with kids than the tiny string style. I know people who sleep in hammocks full time—it’s awesome if you have reflux as you can angle the head hook a bit higher. I assume, though, that you’ll go with a stand since you’ll be renting?

Yes, cotton. Stand but no reflux.

7 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I am drinking herbal tea and searching Pinterest for Thanksgiving centerpiece ideas.

Just shoot me now!

I'm drinking lavender tea and looking at hammocks.

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I have had to start taking iron again (even though it messes up my digestive tract) because my headaches are back.

My numbers are within normal limits, so my doctor doesn't want to order an iron infusion.  Apparently normal is not optimal.

The good news is that it seems we have found a cause for (most of) my headaches!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

All this talk about rain on Halloween made me finally go look.  No rain here until Thursday...and Friday.....and Saturday.

I've been having trouble sleeping the past few nights too.  I used to have bad insomnia but since I got busier, including being on my feet more of the day and not snacking as much, I've been sleeping pretty well.  I'm starting to think it might be hormonal for the week each month or so that I absolutely cannot sleep well no matter what I do.   Even Benedryl doesn't help.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good morning!

Jean and Slache woke me up, but I did manage to doze off again for an hour before breakfast.

Junie, so glad there is relief in sight!

Yesterday the Halloween forecast was for storms, but that has changed to clouds.  If it rains, we will just watch the movie in costumes.  (We're planning to watch The Birds.)  We haven't carved pumpkins yet.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good morning!  I didn't sleep well either due to my mom texting me and friend drama with some of DH's friends and  his phone ringing really loudly at 3a.m..  if I didn't know them, I'd swear they were a bunch of teenaged girls, lol.

Spuds--your plan absolutely sounds like enough, more than enough!

Suasan-we have not carved pumpkins either and I'm not sure I even want to buy one this late but, I may get a small one for my boy to carve.  We still have church so, Ds will wear his costume to church and I'll take some candy and have some for at home too.

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I have never reclined in one (laid? lied?)

Lain. (Right now I am not lying in a hammock; yesterday I lay in bed, not in a hammock; I have never lain in a hammock.)

Most of the world sleeps on a blanket on the ground and does just fine, Slachey, so I say let the kid sleep anywhere she's comfy.

• Like 5

Morning. Gurg. My neck is still out, but I have more range of motion today than I had yesterday. Still tied up in knots.

Spuds, that sounds fine to me. Add in a research paper or two on subjects of intense interest, and perhaps an oral presentation of some of the essays instead of just written work, and that's probably fine. In fact, I'd probably drop a written paper for discussion and sub in an oral report and question/answer sessions for about half of the books. 

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!L~D

All Hallow’s Eve Eve.??? The only weather related problem we ever have on Halloween is whether the kids need to put on a long sleeved shirt under their costume or not. 

Today is Tuesday. Nothing much on the docket, other than school.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Lain. (Right now I am not lying in a hammock; yesterday I lay in bed, not in a hammock; I have never lain in a hammock.)

Most of the world sleeps on a blanket on the ground and does just fine, Slachey, so I say let the kid sleep anywhere she's comfy.

Arrrgh!! Lain. That one wasn’t even on the radar. You know, I consider myself fairly grammatically astute. I can even deal with the whole sit and set thing because of the direct object rule, but the different participles of lay and lie just throw me into a tizzy.

• Like 2

We don’t carve pumpkins. Well, actually, we used to. When the kids were little we took them to the Pumpkin Patch with our homeschool group and they got to pick out pumpkins there. But we don’t do that anymore. And pumpkins are expensive. Especially if you are buying for 5 kids.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Arrrgh!! Lain. That one wasn’t even on the radar. You know, I consider myself fairly grammatically astute. I can even deal with the whole sit and set thing because of the direct object rule, but the different participles of lay and lie just throw me into a tizzy.

I try to avoid the word altogether.  I know one has a direct object, but I can never remember which one.  

47 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We don’t carve pumpkins. Well, actually, we used to. When the kids were little we took them to the Pumpkin Patch with our homeschool group and they got to pick out pumpkins there. But we don’t do that anymore. And pumpkins are expensive. Especially if you are buying for 5 kids.

Aldi has them for $3 apiece here.  I bought two to carve, and might pick up another tomorrow, but probably not.  This year we will have to endure a lesson in artistic cooperation.  ?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Y'all just reminded me, ds11 asked for a pumpking to carve.  Guess I'll stop and get one.

I bought the Christian Light research paper curriculum booklet.  It's only 15 lessons and walks them through a research paper step-by-step.  I think I will hold off until after Christmas.  In the meantime, I tols dd I need to read her ongoing story that she writes in every day.  

We used that last year and i’m Going to use it again this year. It worked really well.

oooh, it is a well-researched Booya/h!! Mazal tov!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I have had to start taking iron again (even though it messes up my digestive tract) because my headaches are back.

My numbers are within normal limits, so my doctor doesn't want to order an iron infusion.  Apparently normal is not optimal.

The good news is that it seems we have found a cause for (most of) my headaches!

Junie, have you tried the Floradix? Iron pills give me GI issues, but the liquid Floradix does not. It is very gentle on the body. The gluten free version is on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Floravital-Herbs-Yeast-Flora-Liquid/dp/B0010EBEU0

2 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Y'all just reminded me, ds11 asked for a pumpking to carve.  Guess I'll stop and get one.

I bought the Christian Light research paper curriculum booklet.  It's only 15 lessons and walks them through a research paper step-by-step.  I think I will hold off until after Christmas.  In the meantime, I tols dd I need to read her ongoing story that she writes in every day.  

I'm putting this on my list to buy in a few weeks, my Ds hates to write anything!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Junie, have you tried the Floradix? Iron pills give me GI issues, but the liquid Floradix does not. It is very gentle on the body. The gluten free version is on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Floravital-Herbs-Yeast-Flora-Liquid/dp/B0010EBEU0

I haven't tried it.  Do you think the liquid would make a big difference?

My prescription is ferrous gluconate, which is the same active ingredient as what is in this, but it is nearly 4x the strength.

I would have to drink an awful lot of the stuff -- and that would get expensive.  ?

Thanks for the reminder.  I might be willing to try it if our current plan doesn't work.

I'm trying my iron pills again by my doctor's orders.  I just need to do a better job of keeping on top of the side effects.

• Like 2

I washed the shower curtains and disinfected things and practiced orchestra music.  The concertmaster will not be at rehearsal this week, so I have to take his place.  ?  Have you ever watched Mozart in the Jungle?  If you have ever played in a symphony orchestra, you will find it the most ridiculous show ever.  Every single character is an idiot and you just wish they would get hit by a bus and put out of their misery.  I suspect the writers studied the inner workings of musical theater and tried to transpose it onto orchestra personnel.  And the directors of the show are not listening to their orchestra consultants.

Ds23 has gotten out of bed and is eating lunch.  He says his muscles feel sore, but I think the worst is over.

Story time!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. Gurg. My neck is still out, but I have more range of motion today than I had yesterday. Still tied up in knots.

Spuds, that sounds fine to me. Add in a research paper or two on subjects of intense interest, and perhaps an oral presentation of some of the essays instead of just written work, and that's probably fine. In fact, I'd probably drop a written paper for discussion and sub in an oral report and question/answer sessions for about half of the books. 

I agree!

3 hours ago, Spudater said:

Yes I was going to put in a history research paper and a theology research paper each year plus I think I’d like December to be a creative writing month.  I also thought I’d better do a little bit of the timed SAT type essay junior year?  I hate that type of essay, but I do want her to be comfortable enough with it.  I had to do one every single week!  Soul numbing.

No one cares about writing on the SAT anymore.  Just don't do it.  imho.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Does that mean they don’t do it?  They’ve changed so much I don’t even know what’s what anymore.

The essay on the SAT is optional now and I think few colleges care about it or require it. 

Eta, none of mine have done the essay, nor do I plan to have them do it. 

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Off topic. Can we all just acknowledge this beautiful hammock?

Yes, but see below.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Beautiful, but strings of death. 

Strings of Death are not allowed.

45 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

TBH, Slache, I think I'd go ENO style as crazy as Awix is....just because there aren't strings at the end for him to stick his head between. But, yes, color. ENO has a pink and purple one. ?

We have two ENOs (orange/red/yellow) that we got on clearance.  We also have a $20 Grand Trunk from Amazon.  All very good.  No strings of death.

There is something to be said for a bed that you can wad up and throw into the washing machine.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Junie said:

I haven't tried it.  Do you think the liquid would make a big difference?

My prescription is ferrous gluconate, which is the same active ingredient as what is in this, but it is nearly 4x the strength.

I would have to drink an awful lot of the stuff -- and that would get expensive.  ?

Thanks for the reminder.  I might be willing to try it if our current plan doesn't work.

I'm trying my iron pills again by my doctor's orders.  I just need to do a better job of keeping on top of the side effects.

It does for me. I feel like my body absorbs it better, my levels come up faster, and that I don’t have any GI issues from it.  I have used both and much prefer the Floradix but I understand the $ issue. 

All of this reminds me that I still need to get my own labs done...so timely topic.

• Like 1

I'm so excited about Mooies' upcoming roomI She's getting 2/3 of our open wood shelving (the boys are getting the other third) and I'm going to remove the bottom of half and lay something on one area to make a flat surface so that it's half shelves, half desk. I'm going to lace fake ivy and Christmas lights around the shelves, put up framed photos of her favorite Oregon hiking locations, hang crystals in her window and use our neglected rocking chair to display her stuffed animals.

The boys are getting a baseball wall, the train table that's been under our bed for 7 years :sad:, and Alex is getting a bunk bed mounted basketball hoop for his birthday in June.

I was going to get basic, large rubbermaid drawers to use as dressers in their closets so they have ample floor space. 

Our room will have a bed, a dresser and two nightstands. Because being an adult is boring.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3