Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Also, see on the link for route 43 that's with that?  Where 43 starts, Altavista, is the town dh and I are from.

At least I can pronounce Altavista.  Buena Vista (pronounced locally as Byoona Vista) always makes me cringe.

That's the way, Angi!  Stick to your guns!

We drove onto Mt. Rainier on our Glorious Washington State Trip 14 years ago.  I love Washington.

I don't do scrambling.  I need a trail.  I scrambled on that mountain in Maine and fell off the ledge so that goes to show you that scrambling is way too dangerous.  Also bad knees.

Is it bedtime yet.  I so seepy.

• Like 2

I'm back from ringing bells. We're starting to sound pretty good. We're playing a fun arrangement of "We Three Kings".

The highest mountain I climbed is Alta Peak at 11,204 ft.  That was a long time ago. It was quite a climb, but well worth it. DH and I used to hike a lot back in the day. Now, we just don't. Hopefully we won't be too old and decrepit when the kids grow up and we can start hiking again.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Slache said:

First of all, I do not believe that it's not water. Stress affects your hormones and you could be bloated in response to your stress.

Yes, stress absolutely can make you fat. One way to combat that is to regularly do cardio because that is a healthy stress and your body will regulate your stress hormones better. Essentially what happens is something bad happens and you have a fight or flight response but you don't fight or fly. You hold on to that hormone that you have on hand to help you fight or fly but you aren't using it and it's knocking things out of whack. You need to use it. You need to sweat. As a side effect it will also make you feel less stressed because you're getting that hormone down.

You are definitely on to something here. I need to exercise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

We drove onto Mt. Rainier on our Glorious Washington State Trip 14 years ago.  I love Washington.

I don't do scrambling.  I need a trail.  I scrambled on that mountain in Maine and fell off the ledge so that goes to show you that scrambling is way too dangerous.  Also bad knees.

I don't do scrambling, either. I am strictly a trail sort of person. And I prefer trails that lead to lovely lakes. A nice view is fine, but I prefer lakes.

• Like 3

Hi! Friend moving to San Antonio came over for dinner and we compared notes and fellowshipped.

6 hours ago, Junie said:

Scrambling might be easier if it's done on all fours.  ?

I was concerned about pain in your hands. I would hate for you to get to the top and then not want to go back down.

6 hours ago, Junie said:

I climbed The Peaks of Otter when I was in college.

Very nice!

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have been to the Lodges at Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier and have been in hikes from there but I have not actually climbed them. 

It's very time consuming and cold.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

It's not so bad, but 56 degrees is perfect!  Good job, weather!

I get heat stroke. It's my thing.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes.

37 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

You are definitely on to something here. I need to exercise. 

Yes. And remember the fight or flight response. It needs to be dealt with.

• Like 3

You guys...Thanksgiving is next week. 

*svengo*

I, uh, missed yet another appointment so I sat down with my calendar and had a moment (or, um, two hours) catching up with myself. I flipped to next week’s page and nearly had a heart attack.

In related news, the boys hiked ten miles this past weekend, dh and I were sick for days after my mom left, and I wore pajamas with no bra for two days straight. Also, Mt Washmore had a volcanic eruption out into the hallway and we are out of frozen pizza, boxed Mac and cheese, fixings for quesadillas and we had to pull out the emergency cold cereal.

I dragged myself to the store today, started the washer, and am vowing to pull myself together...maybe in the new year.

Also, izombie is gross but a fun watch when you are vegging on the couch and sharing cough drops with your dh.

• Like 5

Junie—Mt St Helens visitor center is totally accessible and you could make it along several of the viewing trails with a cane, no problem. 

.....said the lady who uses a cane herself sometimes.

There are a number of waterfalls and other jaw dropping views that have close handicapped parking access and short walks with adjusted grades to make it possible to visit with limited mobility. I wouldn’t wheelchair some of those, but if you can do a decent shuffle, you’re good to go.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Slache said:

I was concerned about pain in your hands. I would hate for you to get to the top and then not want to go back down.

Don't you just roll down? 

Truthfully, I don't see myself doing anything adventurous anytime soon...

• Like 1

Good morning!  Snow Day for Lynn!

Our Snowflake has returned to Thursday!  Concert night! :dry:  Dd20 is southwest of us and she has TWO snowflakes this week!

Prairie has inspired me to clean something.  And put away laundry. I also need to print out my Thanksgiving Document. ?  And figure out who has turkeys on sale.  

Coffee!

COFFEE!!

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me)

KrissiK Documentation of the ITT Flag 5/1/2017

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Good morning!  (Tuesday). Coffee!

I now get Nectar mattress ads when I'm on Facebook. Everything I know about the big, bad world I've learned from Slache. ?

I think we might get one. They say almost everyone to stay at the beach house gets one. We wanted a bigger bed as soon as possible so we might get a nectar when we buy a house.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!!

DH got to sleep in a little this morning, so my COFFEE!!~D isn’t quite ready yet. He and I have a meeting at DS’s school with the campus pastor, with whom DS has been meeting for counseling.

Nothing much else is going on today. School. I spent all afternoon yesterday prepping for this week and next. I feel good about what I accomplished.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

So Slachey, I am guessing that hiding in your bed quilts is not an acceptable way to deal with your stress hormones?

That depends on what you do under the quilts. :wink:

Your body does not know the difference between "my son is lying to me" and "there's a rattlesnake at my feet" so when your son is lying to you your body prepares to run from the snake. Running from the snake regulates your hormones and restores balance. If you don't run then your body will have to restore the balance by itself and that's more difficult and stressful. Running from the snake can be running, hiking, strength training, yoga or things under the quilt. It doesn't matter because it's not about the snake, it's about the hormone. The hormone doesn't know the difference as long as your pushing yourself.

I want to say cortisol which effects adrenaline and many other things but I learned all of this a long time ago and it's the concept that stuck with me, not the science.

Also, stess hormone without physical stress to release it will ruin your sleep. Not just your emotions, but physically that snake is still at the foot of your bed because you never ran away from it so your body does not want you to sleep.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Slache said:

That depends on what you do under the quilts. :wink:

Your body does not know the difference between "my son is lying to me" and "there's a rattlesnake at my feet" so when your son is lying to you your body prepares to run from the snake. Running from the snake regulates your hormones and restores balance. If you don't run then your body will have to restore the balance by itself and that's more difficult and stressful. Running from the snake can be running, hiking, strength training, yoga or things under the quilt. It doesn't matter because it's not about the snake, it's about the hormone. The hormone doesn't know the difference as long as your pushing yourself.

I want to say cortisol which effects adrenaline and many other things but I learned all of this a long time ago and it's the concept that stuck with me, not the science.

Also, stess hormone without physical stress to release it will ruin your sleep. Not just your emotions, but physically that snake is still at the foot of your bed because you never ran away from it so your body does not want you to sleep.

Well, I have started doing some deep breathing and stretching exercises every morning, along with using my resistance bands again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Happy Tuesday, y'all.

I do not mountain.

ILs still here. DS is off his routine and getting squirrely, and by the time we finish the Three-Day Grandparent Detox (so named by a former neighbor), my dad will be on his way.

Church stuff moves at the speed of church, and I am trying to be thankful for our shenanigan-prevention process, but it is likely to take 8 more months to begin something we...

• could afford to do next week if our budget were not officially set in stone until June 30,
  • know how to do already, and
  • should already have been doing in light of our stated values. *sigh*

It's over three weeks until the next meeting where I can ask about one last option that could start us sooner. Or somebody else can, since the meeting is held during rush hour and I usually can't get there, and we don't have a set-up for conference calls or anything.

Am thinking I'd better Second Coffee.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We might go to Texas for Christmas and we might go to Minnesota for Christmas.  It will probably be a few weeks before we know, so I am thinking I should try to find lodging arrangements for both scenarios that offer free cancellation so we will for sure have something in place.  

You should go to Texas and I'll come. That sounds good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

But were we supposed to take it seriously? {I am grateful for everyone who did take my posts about my son seriously and offered kind words and advice. You guys are awesome.}

Yeah, I know. We’re supposed to be ignoring. But, we didn’t do that ......

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I need to start carrying some hot chocolate k-cups with me. Everyone offers coffee with their Keurigs but not cocoa. ?

I have a keurig at my science center because we had an extra one in the garage.  I have coffee but I also buy hot cocoa.  I hide it in a drawer because I went through a box of 45 in a week (kids!).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Paradox5 -- Just imagine that we're all gathered together in someone's living room (whoever's is cleanest ? ) and we're just chatting with no husbands or kids in earshot.  Almost everything is appropriate on the ITT.  (And for anyone lurking from the other threads, anyone is welcome!)

The only things that are not appropriate to the ITT:  putting anyone down, strongly disagreeing with someone, (and like the rest of the board: political views, offensive language).  I think that's it.  Jean calls this her happy place.  And it is for all of us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1