Menu

Ignore this thread!

Lazy day planned. Kids have physically done lots this week and are tired. I might yoga or tai chi. Lots of learning games planned instead of a full school day and we'll probably watch some Jelly Telly. I highly recommend that if you're a Christian mom of littles.

I have .8 pounds to lose before I get the 10 pounds badge. Festina lente my butt. Literally.

They get here Tuesday. I hear Jumanji music just thinking about it. 

• Like 6

Huh. Back in February/March, when I began planning out the 2018-19 school year, I made a spreadsheet comparing prices across Amazon, Rainbow, and "other" (usually the publisher of each curriculum), but didn't purchase anything. Just went back through to make an Amazon wishlist to keep an eye on during Prime Day and guess what.

Across the board, everything I listed is now $3-4 more on Amazon than it was when I made the spreadsheet in February. Those cads sure know their market trends.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday!!

DD1comes home from camp today. I really hope I don’t forget to pick her up from church. Someone remind me to leave at 11:15 go go pick her up.

That would be 11:15 my time. Not Junie’s time.?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Slache said:

Lazy day planned. Kids have physically done lots this week and are tired. I might yoga or tai chi. 

I found these exercise videos on Amazon Prime Video we’ve been doing. They are hilarious. Well, I should say, we are hilarious doing them. They say they are Christian, and whether they truly are, I cannot say because I can’t understand the words to the music (it’s hip-hop? Maybe? I have no idea), but one of the moves is called “going to church”,;so whatever. Anyhow, my 15 year old DS loves them, so that should tell you something. It certainly gets us moving, though. They’re called “Shazzy”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

Huh. Back in February/March, when I began planning out the 2018-19 school year, I made a spreadsheet comparing prices across Amazon, Rainbow, and "other" (usually the publisher of each curriculum), but didn't purchase anything. Just went back through to make an Amazon wishlist to keep an eye on during Prime Day and guess what.

Across the board, everything I listed is now $3-4 more on Amazon than it was when I made the spreadsheet in February. Those cads sure know their market trends.

Yep, that’s what they do. I try not to pay too close attention to things like that. It just makes me mad. I don’t want to comparison shop too much all over the Internet because i don’t want my credit card info at too many places, so I buy most things at Amazon.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

That, or they're raising prices before Prime Day?

• Like 2

I did not want to get out of bed today. I wanted to stay under the covers and hide. It's so hot outside that the air conditioner is running constantly. The light even gets through the blackout curtains and makes me miserable. I have to somehow reduce my first chapter by four whole pages, and cover more territory at the same time. I suck as a writer and I ought to quit, but I won't because I can't give up on this story. It's too good to quit. But boy, I wish the writing gods would descend with an epiphany right now because I have a whole two pages double spaced of information that needs to get into the chapter that I'm supposed to cut.

Mothers don't let your children grow up to be writers...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I have to get up. I do not want to get up. Did not sleep great, and my stomach is still in rebellion.  But I have chores, school, and writing even if that's all I do.

((Critter)) I hope you feel better as the day progresses.

55 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

Check Christian Book, too. I often buy from there because we school year around so my orders are smaller and I can get free shipping on orders of $35 instead of $50. My last order was Strayer Upton, Fix-It and a Christian Liberty Press Nature Reader totalling $1.50 less than RR with free shipping. The order was too small to get free shipping at RR and will take less than 3 years to get here like all of my RR orders.

• Like 3

Me too. It sort of stinks in here. What with the need to clean a few things, an unhappy gut, and the smoke coming out my ears right now, it's not a pleasant day to be me! But things will sort themselves out if I just find a way to relax and let the fixes come. Going to try converting some of the difficult pages into poetry format, and see what happens. That sometimes helps, because the pressure is off.

ETA: I forgot to quote Krissi. Thanks for commiserating. I'm a flat pill this morning.

• Like 3

Ok ladies, we're doing Geography this year and I need some literature ideas, we have some audio books and regular books.  Does it even really matter what we read when doing geography?  All I can think of right now is Heart of Darkness for the older one in and around the time we're going through Africa.  I'm also just thinking of finishing the Abeka Themes in Literature book we started last year and adding one or two novels.

40 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Ok ladies, we're doing Geography this year and I need some literature ideas, we have some audio books and regular books.  Does it even really matter what we read when doing geography?  All I can think of right now is Heart of Darkness for the older one in and around the time we're going through Africa.  I'm also just thinking of finishing the Abeka Themes in Literature book we started last year and adding one or two novels.

Are you wanting literature ideas to count toward a high school English credit?  I've been working on high school literature lists all summer.

If you can give me an age/grade I can probably help you out.

Ugh, surely there's a better book relating to Africa than Heart of Darkness...not a fan. What age?

For Antarctica, you must read something about Ernest Shackleton. He's got the best true adventure story ever. “For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”

-Sir Raymond Priestly

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paige said:

Ugh, surely there's a better book relating to Africa than Heart of Darkness...not a fan. What age?

For Antarctica, you must read something about Ernest Shackleton. He's got the best true adventure story ever. “For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”

-Sir Raymond Priestly

That is awesome.

I did it. I clicked “Submit order” . No turning back.

actually, I just bought more math curriculum. CLE. I love their math.

Ratios are our friends. I just finished helping DS with his math. “Set up problem as a proportion” it said. Why didn’t I learn this as a kid?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

I've lost nearly 20 pounds since I last saw MIL. Will she...

A) Deny the weight loss

B) Say I've obviously gained weight

C) Tell me it doesn't matter because I'll just gain it all back anyway

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You need to take ignoring lessons from my cat. 

No kidding. Just give her a dirty look and continue on with your nap. Works for my cat.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

(((Critter)))  First, it doesn't matter if you are a brilliant writer or a horrible one, you are *our* writer.  :wub:  Secondl, you MUST be brilliant because the story has chosen you as it's vehicle for coming to life and you have bravely accepted the challenge despite the struggle.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

(((Critter)))  First, it doesn't matter if you are a brilliant writer or a horrible one, you are *our* writer.  :wub:  Secondl, you MUST be brilliant because the story has chosen you as it's vehicle for coming to life and you have bravely accepted the challenge despite the struggle.

Hear, hear!!! Well said, Susan!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Awww, Slashie!! We’re just teasing you!! I know it’s hard for you!! But you know the truth. Don’t let her drag you down. And remember, we got your back. We love you!!

:wub:

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

I hit “submit order” again.

this time for Old Navy. DS needed a new pair of jeans. That’s a fact. But, I ordered two new tops for me.(Insert slinking away guy).in my defense, once was $8 and the other was $12 on sale.

Wow, I can't believe you bought jeans online! Is that something you can do for boys because they're looser or because it's another pair of what he already has? Teach me your ways.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Are you wanting literature ideas to count toward a high school English credit?  I've been working on high school literature lists all summer.

If you can give me an age/grade I can probably help you out.

15 yo, 10th grade, I think I have the younger one covered.  Thanks

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

:wub:

Wow, I can't believe you bought jeans online! Is that something you can do for boys because they're looser or because it's another pair of what he already has? Teach me your ways.

I always buy him ON jeans. I just buy him the same pair, different size. He hates shopping and getting him to try anythIng on is a nightmare. I have very difficult children. So, I buy him a pair, usually it fits, if it doesn’t I send it back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I've lost nearly 20 pounds since I last saw MIL. Will she...

A) Deny the weight loss

B) Say I've obviously gained weight

C) Tell me it doesn't matter because I'll just gain it all back anyway

Last October I heard, "Wow, you've really gained weight!"

First words out of relative's mouth to me (not Hi, Hello, Good to see you!).... "It looks like you've lost weight."

Weight should never come up in conversation, except perhaps to ask how many pounds of blueberries you should buy to make pie.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It's not so bad at 5:30 am. ?

Yes, he normally goes at... 4:30? He has to be at work at 6.

23 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Last October I heard, "Wow, you've really gained weight!"

First words out of relative's mouth to me (not Hi, Hello, Good to see you!).... "It looks like you've lost weight."

Weight should never come up in conversation, except perhaps to ask how many pounds of blueberries you should buy to make pie.

Gug. No.

15 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Just sing this to her, Slwche:

I sing to John when he annoys me. I should do that with everybody. I can't sing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mama25angels said:

There's been a geography planning thread on either the general or the k8 board with a nice book list. I can link it later if you don't see it. 

5 hours ago, Slache said:

Check Christian Book, too. I often buy from there because we school year around so my orders are smaller and I can get free shipping on orders of $35 instead of $50. My last order was Strayer Upton, Fix-It and a Christian Liberty Press Nature Reader totalling $1.50 less than RR with free shipping. The order was too small to get free shipping at RR and will take less than 3 years to get here like all of my RR orders.

Hmm, is there a special trick to getting free shipping there? I just threw a bunch of things in the cart and you're right that they're mostly a bit cheaper than RR, but at the moment they're charging $16.50 shipping even though the order is over $35. Is it like, free shipping between $35 and $100 or something?

2 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

Hmm, is there a special trick to getting free shipping there? I just threw a bunch of things in the cart and you're right that they're mostly a bit cheaper than RR, but at the moment they're charging $16.50 shipping even though the order is over $35. Is it like, free shipping between $35 and $100 or something?

Use code HSFREE18

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egao_gakari said:

Ooo, sweet! Thanks! Same code can be used multiple times?

Yes. It expires the 17th. Then I'll get another email on the 18th or 19th. Just ask me when you need a code and acknowledge that there's often a several day gap so don't wait until the last minute. 

• Thanks 1

How was the funeral, Jean? Did I miss that post?

I need to spend the afternoon temporary hemming the curtains in the guest room. I'm not convinced we are going to be here forever, so I don't want to cut my 120" long curtains in case we relo again.  I *did* get rid of my extra curtains from previous houses rather than storing them, but 120" curtains are hard to find. If we move again, I'm taking these with me. I'm going to baste stitch them as I've had mixed luck with temporary hemming tape.  We have a parade of house guests coming through this summer so this is my shot to get it done (but I am procrastinating).

• Like 2

On 1/10/2018 at 10:10 AM, Junie said:

American Literature

Rip Van Winkle – Washington Irving

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God – Jonathan Edwards

The Bay Psalm Book (selections)             

Verses Upon the Burning of Our House… -- Anne Bradstreet     

On Being Brought from Africa to America – Phyllis Wheatley    

The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne          

Of Plymouth Plantation – William Bradford

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County – Samuel L. Clemens

The Slave Singing at Midnight – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The Sifting of Peter – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Poor Richard’s Almanac (selections) – Benjamin Franklin

Common Sense – Thomas Paine (excerpt)

Poetry Selections – Edgar Allan Poe

Moby Dick – Herman Melville

Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain

Pudd’nhead Wilson – Mark Twain

The Ransom of Red Chief – O. Henry

Spoon River Anthology (selections)  – Edgar Lee Masters

Poetry Selections – Robert Frost

Poetry Selections – Carl Sandburg

Poetry Selections – e.e. cummings

The Pearl – John Steinbeck

Poverty in John Steinbeck’s The Pearl (selections)

Rappaccini’s Daughter – Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Princess and the Brownie – Louisa May Alcott

To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee

Poetry Rocks:  Early American Poetry

Poetry Rocks:  Modern American Poetry

Bernice Bobs Her Hair – F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Most Dangerous Game

The Milk Pitcher

The Ambitious Guest

The Catbird Seat

The L1,000,000 Bank Note

A Piece of Steak

The Luck of Roaring Camp

The Cask of Amontillado

On 1/10/2018 at 10:13 AM, Junie said:

British Literature

The Hound of the Baskervilles – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Time Machine – H.G. Wells

Emma (dvd)

The Screwtape Letters (audiodrama)

Beowulf

Canterbury Tales – prologue plus literature guide

Emma -- dvd

Silas Marner (Eliot) audio drama

Christmas Carol audio drama

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll) 

Treasure Island (Stevenson)

Jungle Book  (Kipling)

Sherlock Holmes short story mysteries (Doyle)

Peter Pan (Barrie)

Animal Farm (Orwell) plus lit guide

Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)  plus lit guide

Macbeth plus literature guide plus movie

The Hobbit Trilogy dvd

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy dvd

West Side Story (Romeo and Juliet) dvd

Gnomeo and Juliet dvd

Early British Poetry – Poetry Rocks

Modern British Poetry – Poetry Rocks

Chaucer and His World

On 1/10/2018 at 10:15 AM, Junie said:

World Lit (partial list -- ds17 hasn't completed this course yet)

Three Musketeers – Dumas

World Poetry – Poetry Rocks! Series (excerpts)

The Old Testament

The New Testament

Julius Caesar – Shakespeare (dvd)

The Happy Prince, The Selfish Giant, The Devoted Friend, The Remarkable Rocket, The Nightingale and The Rose, The Young King, The Birthday of the Infants, The Star-Child, The Fisherman and His Soul  -- Oscar Wilde

The Odyssey -- Homer

The Illiad – Homer

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea – Verne

The Swiss Family Robinson

The Iliad

The Odyssey

Journey to the Center of the Earth

King Solomon’s Mines

On 1/10/2018 at 10:16 AM, Junie said:

Fairy Tales, Folk Tales, Legends, and Myths

Fairy Tales

Hans Christian Andersen (complete works)

Grimm’s Complete Fairy Tales

Fairy Tales of the Orient – Pearl Buck

Cinderella Stories

Smoky Mountain Rose

Cinderella -- San Jose

Gift of the Crocodile -- Sierra

Cinderella’s Dress -- Willard

Bubba the Cowboy Prince

Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters

Ella’s Big Chance

The Jeweled Slipper (from The Beggar in the Blanket)

Cindy Ellen

Cinderella -- Fowles

Rough-Face Girl

Cinderella Stories from Around the World -- Meister

The Golden Slipper -- Pirotta

Ella Enchanted

Fairest

Snow Queen

Legends and Myths

Sir Gawain – Morpurgo

Merlin -- dvd

Norse Mythology Redmond

Myths and Mythology

Myths and Legends – Horowitz

Myths & Legends – Parker

Fables and Riddles

Aesop’s Fables --  Townsreend

Anglo Saxon riddles (selections) – internet

Epic Stories

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Star Wars: Episodes I-VI

Pourquoi Tales

How the Rooster Got His Crown

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People’s Ears

How Thunder and Lightning Came to Be

Just So Stories

Folk Tales

East of the Sun, West of the Moon

12 Clever Brothers and Other Fools

The Monkey’s Haircut

Castles and Dragons

Grandfather Tales

Princesses and Peasant Boys

Cavalcade of Dragons

I hope this works.  I found my literature posts from just after Christmas.

I'm currently updating them and they're quite a mess, but this is the main part of it.  These are the basics for our four years of high school literature.  They don't have to read everything on the list -- I let my kids choose for the most part -- but I do want them to be exposed to a variety of authors and styles.  I do have to force them to read poetry. ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My ITT friends!!!!  

Just swinging by to say hi.  I'm beginning the process of researching 18/19 curriculum, ugh!!!!  

I was going through my old posts looking for a thread and saw that I had told you guys about my Ancestry test but never updated you all.  So...a quick update for anybody who might be interested.

I FOUND MY FATHER!  Well....I found his family.  He passed away in 1992.  He was not a good man.  Hell's Angel, maybe part of the mafia, etc.  Depends on who you talk to.  But...he was one of 10 siblings, and my FB friends list grew exponentially in a single day when I discovered them and we connected.  I have many many new aunts and uncles and cousins, lol.  Come to find out, my father was Italian.  His mother (still living) is Sicilian, and his father was from elsewhere in Italy.  So I am half Azorean Portuguese and half Italian.  Don't ask me how it makes sense that I could be those ethnicities and wind up a light-skinned redhead with freckles.  Who knows these things?!

But anyways...I have a half brother and a half sister, too.  So that's been awesome.  

I mentioned my Great Uncle (my mother's uncle...my maternal grandmother's youngest brother).  He and I have grown an amazing bond these past few months.  He has stepped into the places in my heart where my father should have been.  He came to see us last week for the first time and it was amazing.  I can't even really put it into words.  At the end of August, I'll be flying down to FL to spend some time with him at his place and I am SO excited!  The pics I'm sharing are from his trip.  The little box he's holding is a gift I had made for him.  Inside is a lathe-turned pen with his Navy rank and insignia engraved.  

So!  That's what's new with me!  I know I don't get to come and visit very often, but I do think of you guys!  I'll be hanging around for the next couple of weeks while I make final decisions on curriculum, lol.  

Sweet T and Me.jpg

Sweet T.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

How was the funeral, Jean? Did I miss that post?

This was my post. They said that it was a “celebration of life “ but really was a cocktail/networking party. Which totally fits because it was for my marketing boss. 

“Here’s the good, the bad, the ugly. 

The good:  the drive into the Big City went surprisingly smoothly. 

I met my friend just as I reached the hoity toity club so we were able to go in together. 

My clothes fit the occasion just fine. 

It was a nice cocktail party type atmosphere with the same nice but light conversation. I was able to recognize some people from when I worked with them 25 plus years ago. 

I was able to eat some of the hors d’oeurves. 

The bad:  there were no chairs set out. 

The ugly:  after an hour or so my feet were in so much pain that I almost couldn’t stand it. I excused myself and left a bit earlier than planned. 

I managed to hobble back to the the parking garage where I left my car to find it locked with my car inside. The information online on hours was not the same as what was posted on the wall. Fortunately I was able to call a nice security guard who let me and my car out. There were still some cars in there when I left so he might have had a busy night.” 

•  
  • Like 1

SweetPea--there are a lot of fair skinned/red headed people of Portuguese ancestry. Of my Hawaiian family/friends, well over half have red hair and freckles and pale skin even if one parent looks totally native Hawaiian. Those Portuguese genes are strong!

Jean--hope your feet have recovered today & I'm glad you could get your car out! That's totally one of my fears about driving downtown!

• Like 4