Menu

Ignore this thread!

My taco salads are like the taco bowl one, but with hard "taco" shells broken on a plate, and everything else pile on top.  Think of a hard taco with all the fillings, and then imagine it breaking apart in your hand as you go to eat it/take a bite.  Why bother with the mess?  Just break it up from the get-go and eat it with a fork.  Added bonus is you don't have to try to get the meat neatly in the taco.  Which never works anyway.  I serve the toppings a la carte and everyone makes their own.  If they want the whole tacos they can have it, but I get to make my taco salad. 

I make mine like the ones in the glass bowl because I can't handle the carbs in the tortilla bowl. And why waste food if you aren't going to eat it? 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Lol! I looked for myself cuz I knew a lady who used those hormone things off and on a lot. She has type 1, though, but she used it for weight loss. I always thought she was crazy to use it.

She's been morbidly obese since her daughter, who is now 25 years old, was a little girl. She's tried an array of diets, jazzercize, and owns a NordicTrack, but nothing helped. With this medication she lost 30 pounds in 4 months. She's still quite overweight, but she has really bad knees so 30 pounds makes a big difference for her.

She's been morbidly obese since her daughter, who is now 25 years old, was a little girl. She's tried an array of diets, jazzercize, and owns a NordicTrack, but nothing helped. With this medication she lost 30 pounds in 4 months. She's still quite overweight, but she has really bad knees so 30 pounds makes a big difference for her.

People gain weight for lots of different reasons.  You have to look at the root cause when trying to find a way to treat the symptom (the actual weight gain). 

• Like 2

I made that overnight oatmeal stuff for breakfast. Not the recipe you linked to, Slashie, but one of the other gazillion on the web. I didn’t have pumpkin. Anyhow, I think it is super healthy (Greek yogurt, flax seed meal, skim milk, oatmeal, banana) and filling, but it may take a while to get used to. Plus, it’s 11WW points (I did put some peanut butter in for flavoring, which added points and I could leave out next time) and that’s a lot since I only have 23 per day. Although there’s a lot of zero points foods now, so it’s really not as bad as it seems. But, I am happy I made it because I have been very frustrated with my eating habits lately and I feel very good about this breakfast.

Oh! I did the slow cooker oatmeal overnight too. I didn't have pumpkin either. I did see a recipe that said to butter the crock, but I didn't. It was just a regular add a bit of honey and cinnamon (brown sugar came when done, as should have the cinnamon).

Dh likes instant. He ate it because that's what he expected for breakfast. I think it is a texture thing for him - he likes it smoother; he usually drinks his oatmeal from a cup. He told me that for sure Gymnast wouldn't like it. (she was asleep so didn't hear.) She just showed me her empty bowl and said, "The judges loved it!" :D I like it too. I want to make the apple and cinnamon, but don't have apples.

• Like 4

My taco salads are like the taco bowl one, but with hard "taco" shells broken on a plate, and everything else pile on top.  Think of a hard taco with all the fillings, and then imagine it breaking apart in your hand as you go to eat it/take a bite.  Why bother with the mess?  Just break it up from the get-go and eat it with a fork.  Added bonus is you don't have to try to get the meat neatly in the taco.  Which never works anyway.  I serve the toppings a la carte and everyone makes their own.  If they want the whole tacos they can have it, but I get to make my taco salad. 

We also do a la carte. And all my meat and refried beans go in very neatly. It always works for me. Because I'm perfect. I like to break mine in half and eat with my hands. Anything that falls gets eaten with a fork afterwards. (unless you're more authentic and pick up the pieces with the tortilla pieces. I'm not authentic. I'm only Mexican by marriage. Which doesn't count.)

I think I'm going to make taco bowls tonight. We haven't had them in a couple of months. All those pictures this morning made me hungry.

• Like 1

I make mine like the ones in the glass bowl because I can't handle the carbs in the tortilla bowl. And why waste food if you aren't going to eat it? 

What is that restaurant that serves burritos, tacos, and stuff, but also offers the same thing as a bowl without the tortilla? I can't remember. When I went to Albuquerque for some event, I remembered a friend told me about it and I ate there. But now I can't remember what it was. It was so good!

I like to make bowls with all the fixings but without the tortilla as well.

People gain weight for lots of different reasons.  You have to look at the root cause when trying to find a way to treat the symptom (the actual weight gain). 

I'm overweight because I was depressed for 4 years and could only afford bread and pasta. Fix me.

Oh! I did the slow cooker oatmeal overnight too. I didn't have pumpkin either. I did see a recipe that said to butter the crock, but I didn't. It was just a regular add a bit of honey and cinnamon (brown sugar came when done, as should have the cinnamon).

Dh likes instant. He ate it because that's what he expected for breakfast. I think it is a texture thing for him - he likes it smoother; he usually drinks his oatmeal from a cup. He told me that for sure Gymnast wouldn't like it. (she was asleep so didn't hear.) She just showed me her empty bowl and said, "The judges loved it!" :D I like it too. I want to make the apple and cinnamon, but don't have apples.

Regular is healthier than instant.

I'm thinking hamburgers tonight.  Or maybe turkey burgers. 

Pho!  :party:

• Like 3

My stubborn child just made me spend a half hour explaining multiplication and division to him. All I wanted was for him to skip count, but he absolutely refused until I explained why he should do it, what it's leading up to, and how I use it in real life. Now he is happily watching skip counting songs on YouTube and singing along.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 8

It is! Yeah, I hadn't thought of the stress.

I really hope it works its way back down. I do not want to go on meds. They make me nauseous and cause terrible heartburn. Plus I have no willpower and know that if I take a med to help with bs, then I will eat more carbs here and there just because I can.

And when I do that, my Heart rate stays high, my blood pressure goes up, and on and on.

If you haven't gotten your vitamin D level checked then get it checked and supplement if needed.  "Normal" is 30 to 100.  I do better with my immunity if I'm over 50.

Take magnesium to help manage stress.  And maybe B vitamins.  (Don't know so much about the B's).

Take chromium for help with bloodsugar control.  I take 600 mcg.  (Pure Encapsulations has a good one called ChromeMate.)

I'm parroting my ND on all of this.  I am not a doctor nor do I play one on the internet. 

• Like 2

For those who struggle with weight I wanted to share that my MIL lost 30 pounds with Saxenda, a hormonal supplement she injected at home. She lost 30 pounds and it stopped, but it's been 6 months and she hasn't gained it back. She keeps trying to get me to use them but the idea makes me uncomfortable. Her insurance paid for it and I believe she put out $30 a month for the medication. I don't know anything about the medication.

I'm a nurse and just looked it up. I would pass personally because of the unknowns (new medication) and the really scary side effect list. Of course I am not a huge fan of medications in general...
  • Like 4

"Saxenda® is a glucagon-like peptide receptor agonist indicated as an adjunct to a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity for chronic weight management in adult patients with an initial bmi of 30+ or 27+ with comorbid conditions (e.g. hypertension, type 2 diabetes, or dyslipidemia."

From their prescribing info. So can be used with Type 2 diabetics.

• Like 1

Yes, it does. Brands are Victoza and saxenda. For diabetes is listed separately from weight loss, except on one site.

Eta: I see y'all already found it!

I should have said it's not used to actually lower blood sugar like metformin, etc do. It helps with weight loss, which in turn helps with the blood sugars.

this wasn’t slow cooker. This was the recipe that you mix in a jar and sit in the fridge overnight. Do you have a link to the recipe you used?

I took the girls to the Afsa. We painted their room white when we thought we were moving. When we decided not to move I promised them i’d Decorate for them. So, their room is teal chevrons. Got curtains and bedspreads and a couple of cheap wall decoration thingies. They are thrilled.

• Like 7

I can't find out when next year's school year is supposed to start at the college that ds is planning on going to.  I had to send them an email to ask.  All they have is this year's academic schedule published.  But surely they know when they are planning on starting next year. . .    I'm running into a possible conflict with my teaching at Bible camp.  :svengo: I'm conflicted between wanting to help ds get settled and my responsibilities at camp.  It may seem weird to worry about this 7 months early but if I have to do some adjusting of things it has to be started NOW.  

• Like 4

I can't find out when next year's school year is supposed to start at the college that ds is planning on going to.  I had to send them an email to ask.  All they have is this year's academic schedule published.  But surely they know when they are planning on starting next year. . .    I'm running into a possible conflict with my teaching at Bible camp.  :svengo: I'm conflicted between wanting to help ds get settled and my responsibilities at camp.  It may seem weird to worry about this 7 months early but if I have to do some adjusting of things it has to be started NOW.  

Definitely not weird. The brain is like a slow-cooker. Throw all the facts in and leave it for a while and the answer comes. 

No, this is how I work, too. He will be okay without you if you can't go. Even if he did accidentally apply for college.
  • Like 2

Definitely not weird. The brain is like a slow-cooker. Throw all the facts in and leave it for a while and the answer comes. 

No, this is how I work, too. He will be okay without you if you can't go. Even if he did accidentally apply for college.

It's a moving parts thing.  He's also on staff at camp and wants to come if he's able.  But camp involves a whole bucketload of people so if we have to tweak our involvement then we need to know early.  As far as him going without me.  He will be fine going on a campus visit without me but I would really like to be there when  he starts in the late summer if at all possible.  And if not, there are some things I want to do for him instead to make things smoother. 

• Like 4

It looks like move-in is always the third week of August. Always meaning, like, the last two years.

You can always tell when I have a zillion things not getting done. I start searching the internet to answer questions that I am in no way qualified to answer. :mellow:

In other news, I can't eat oatmeal. It makes my blood sugar go though the roof. :mellow:

• Like 4

It looks like move-in is always the third week of August. Always meaning, like, the last two years.

You can always tell when I have a zillion things not getting done. I start searching the internet to answer questions that I am in no way qualified to answer. :mellow:

In other news, I can't eat oatmeal. It makes my blood sugar go though the roof. :mellow:

So August 20 - 24?  That's camp week.  :crying:

If he decides to live off campus, which is a definite possibility, I might be able to go with him earlier in the month and get him settled and then get back and go to camp.  Dh thinks that would kill me though.  He doesn't think that I have the strength to even go out there but a determined momma could find a way. 

We also do a la carte. And all my meat and refried beans go in very neatly. It always works for me. Because I'm perfect. I like to break mine in half and eat with my hands. Anything that falls gets eaten with a fork afterwards. (unless you're more authentic and pick up the pieces with the tortilla pieces. I'm not authentic. I'm only Mexican by marriage. Which doesn't count.)

I think I'm going to make taco bowls tonight. We haven't had them in a couple of months. All those pictures this morning made me hungry.

Yeah, well I'm a slob.  For realz.  I can't eat without spilling on myself. 

It's my only flaw.  :hat:

• Like 4

What is that restaurant that serves burritos, tacos, and stuff, but also offers the same thing as a bowl without the tortilla? I can't remember. When I went to Albuquerque for some event, I remembered a friend told me about it and I ate there. But now I can't remember what it was. It was so good!

I like to make bowls with all the fixings but without the tortilla as well.

Qdoba?

• Like 1

So August 20 - 24?  That's camp week.  :crying:

If he decides to live off campus, which is a definite possibility, I might be able to go with him earlier in the month and get him settled and then get back and go to camp.  Dh thinks that would kill me though.  He doesn't think that I have the strength to even go out there but a determined momma could find a way. 

I'd keep calling to confirm that start time, Jean. I'm not a GCU scheduler; I only pretend to be one on the internet.

What does "going out there" entail?  Would you be driving? If so, would your budget necessitate looooong days? Or could you just go at your own pace? Could EP go, too, so you'd have company on the way home? What would happen if you decided to skip camp this year? Because, if that's a possibility, at least you would be giving them lots and lots and lots of notice.

I'd keep calling to confirm that start time, Jean. I'm not a GCU scheduler; I only pretend to be one on the internet.

What does "going out there" entail?  Would you be driving? If so, would your budget necessitate looooong days? Or could you just go at your own pace? Could EP go, too, so you'd have company on the way home? What would happen if you decided to skip camp this year? Because, if that's a possibility, at least you would be giving them lots and lots and lots of notice.

I already have an email sent to them asking for the dates.  So don't worry.  ;)

It would mean driving - probably 3 days there and 3 days or longer back.  EP would go along.  We would make it a road trip/ vacation. 

I really can't skip camp unless I want the camp to be only for teens.  I am the only teacher they have for the upper elementary/ middle schoolers.  And they are important because they are the future of the camp and they are the ones most willing to listen. 

• Like 4

My inner cranky old lady is vicariously annoyed on behalf of the students at the co-op who actually want to learn literature. Aaaaaaaand that’s yet another reason we don’t co-op.

(Carve your notes in clay? WHat the flying fudgesicle?)

LOL.  My inner cranky old lady comes out on occasion on different threads as well. 

I am abnormally tired. I just finished some coffee, so maybe it will kick in. Who is the kid in my living room? I don't recognize his voice. We picked up dd11 and went to 2 thrift stores and the Dollar Tree and found plenty of fleece and other rat accessories.

It's James, a neighbor boy.

I can't wrap my head around Monday. Does that mean I don't have to cook?

• Like 3

I found my favorite vegetable cookbook!  :party:One of my unwritten resolutions is to cook my way through this book this year.  I did the first recipe before (artichoke and spinach gratin) and every one liked it.  Tech Support has requested that I make it again and will be happy when he sees tonight's supper. The cookbook is Mollie Katzen's "The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without". 

• Like 3

I already have an email sent to them asking for the dates.  So don't worry.  ;)

It would mean driving - probably 3 days there and 3 days or longer back.  EP would go along.  We would make it a road trip/ vacation. 

I really can't skip camp unless I want the camp to be only for teens.  I am the only teacher they have for the upper elementary/ middle schoolers.  And they are important because they are the future of the camp and they are the ones most willing to listen. 

Okay. New plan. Tech Support moves at the very beginning of August. Ready or not. And you and EP take at least a week to return home and make a SUPER vacation out of it.

Oh, and none of this will be any problem whatsoever, because I will win the Lotto and fund it for you.

• Like 5

My inner cranky old lady is not inner.

I found my favorite vegetable cookbook!  :party:One of my unwritten resolutions is to cook my way through this book this year.  I did the first recipe before (artichoke and spinach gratin) and every one liked it.  Tech Support has requested that I make it again and will be happy when he sees tonight's supper. The cookbook is Mollie Katzen's "The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without". 

I still have a screen shot of this from the last time you mentioned it. I have a "to do" album on my phone.

• Like 2

It started raining on me while I was carrying on groceries. Now I'm cold and wet.

Captain Mal wants pizza for dinner. Weapon X wants tacos. I am making tacos so I don't have to go back out in the rain for pizza. And also because... refried beans.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 5

My inner cranky old lady is vicariously annoyed on behalf of the students at the co-op who actually want to learn literature. Aaaaaaaand that’s yet another reason we don’t co-op.

(Carve your notes in clay? WHat the flying fudgesicle?)

Is this on a thread somewhere?  I'm curious.

• Like 1