• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Edpo .  Cover your eyes with duct tape!

I got out microscope and reviewed it's parts.  Then I looked up the microscope manufacturer and downloaded it's inadequate manual.  I'm a bit frustrated because the objectives are not marked with the magnification on them so I'm trying to figure that out. Now I have to figure out what immersion oil is and if it is something I can get quickly.  Hmm.  I did discover that I have methylene blue.  And slides and covers slips.  But no immersion oil and I'm not finding any at local places. 

http://www.thehomescientist.com/manuals/Illustrated_Guide_to_Home_Biology_Experiments.pdf

Page 24. 

• Like 1

Yeah, what they said:

Aquí es muy difícil conseguir el tipo de papaya verde que se utiliza en Tailandia

It's really not the same with ripe papaya, and finding one that's still green is pretty much impossible around here. Maybe you'll have more luck where you live. 

I actually didn't save that one, but thought you guys might be into it.

Today I did another cabinet front with the Murphy's oil soap mixture.  Yesterday I was in a puddle of pain afterwards.  It hasn't hit me yet today but hopefully it won't be as bad.  It took me hours to recover yesterday.  But I'm thinking that this is my version of P90X.  ;)  - Chronic Illness style.  So 2/16 or 1/8 of the way done with this project. Now it's hitting me.  Off to my armchair for awhile. 

• Like 3

I might not actually have an oil immersion lens on this thing so it might be a moot point..  Still trying to figure things out.  They appear to be color coded. 

According to this *most* manufacturers use the same color code (table 3, about 4/5 down the page):

https://www.microscopyu.com/microscopy-basics/microscope-objective-specifications

I want a microscope. I just don't want to spend $$$ and I don't want to do the amount of research it'd take for me to be satisfied as to which microscope I'm willing to spend $$$ on. I'm starting to think of getting a $$ microscope, especially since I worry the kids will break the $$$ microscope. 

Not that I'm likely to do that much less research for a $$ microscope.

Yes, I overthink.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

I might not actually have an oil immersion lens on this thing so it might be a moot point..  Still trying to figure things out.  They appear to be color coded. 

How many lenses do you have? Most scopes I use at work have four, and the last one is the oil immersion lens. I think it has a black band. The lowest magnification is the red band, the yellow is the one I use for parasites, and the blue one (that never works because it gets messed up getting dragged through the oil) is the 40X which I use for urinalysis. For blood samples and tissue, I've got to use the oil immersion lens.

• Like 1

How many lenses do you have? Most scopes I use at work have four, and the last one is the oil immersion lens. I think it has a black band. The lowest magnification is the red band, the yellow is the one I use for parasites, and the blue one (that never works because it gets messed up getting dragged through the oil) is the 40X which I use for urinalysis. For blood samples and tissue, I've got to use the oil immersion lens.

YOU DO THE SAME THING LINSEY DOES!

• Like 1

Critter, what microscope should I get?

• Like 3

I want a microscope. I just don't want to spend $$$ and I don't want to do the amount of research it'd take for me to be satisfied as to which microscope I'm willing to spend $$$ on. I'm starting to think of getting a $$ microscope, especially since I worry the kids will break the $$$ microscope.

Yes, I overthink.

Mine was bought used from the homeschool consignment store.

Critter, what microscope should I get?

I don't know! I don't have one at my house. BUT...I did talk extensively with the last person I met who fixes microscopes, and he informed me that sometimes they get microscopes that have been used, fix them, and sell them. So I'd ask a clinic who fixes their microscopes and get the number and see.

ETA: It's a microscopic Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Cat stole my armchair. And he refuses to move! Every though I am sitting in the same chair and am trying to crowd him out. But he knows that I won’t really sit on him so Mr. Stubborn is digging in his claws and is refusing to budge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feed him.

• Like 2

So. There are disadvantages to country living.

I just got in from my evening outside chores (it's dark here now by 4:30) and went to take care of the dogs. I went to dump Buddy's backwash polluted water bowl into the downstairs toilet.  And there was a freaking mouse in there.  I screamed, bowl and backwash went flying, and I flushed that sucker down.

And I've flushed the toilet about 19,000 times since.

I may have just had a heart attack.

• Like 8

JJM: You should all move to where I live!

JJM: Here are 9,638 reasons living here is a bad idea.

We used to live not that far from you. I went into the bathroom and heard splashing in the toilet. I opened the lid and there was a rat! I called to Dh and because chivalry is dead, he said “take care of it†and because I’m BA, I did. I got a Tupperware container and scooped the rat into it and slammed the lid. Then I had Dh drive me down the road to a park. I was out of the car and was dumping the live rat by a culvert and a man stopped to ask if I was dumping toxic waste. “Nope. Just a rat!†Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 8

We used to live not that far from you. I went into the bathroom and heard splashing in the toilet. I opened the lid and there was a rat! I called to Dh and because chivalry is dead, he said “take care of it†and because I’m BA, I did. I got a Tupperware container and scooped the rat into it and slammed the lid. Then I had Dh drive me down the road to a park. I was out of the car and was dumping the live rat by a culvert and a man stopped to ask if I was dumping toxic waste. “Nope. Just a rat!â€

I'll call you if I have a similar problem.

• Like 3

We used to live not that far from you. I went into the bathroom and heard splashing in the toilet. I opened the lid and there was a rat! I called to Dh and because chivalry is dead, he said “take care of it†and because I’m BA, I did. I got a Tupperware container and scooped the rat into it and slammed the lid. Then I had Dh drive me down the road to a park. I was out of the car and was dumping the live rat by a culvert and a man stopped to ask if I was dumping toxic waste. “Nope. Just a rat!â€

Do people generally bring their toxic waste to the river in Tupperware?

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Way too much excitement for me today. I took the church teens to shop for needy teens in the county, and we were headed back to the church to wrap. We had to pull over twice to let all of this pass (coming toward us). Thank God for protection.

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Killeen-police-arrest-man-after-lengthy-pursuit-461551923.html

:Angel_anim:  :scared:  :willy_nilly:  :scared:  :Angel_anim:

• Like 1

Cat stole my armchair. And he refuses to move! Every though I am sitting in the same chair and am trying to crowd him out. But he knows that I won’t really sit on him so Mr. Stubborn is digging in his claws and is refusing to budge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sit on him!  Or sprawl all over him.  My cat hates it when I do that.

• Like 1

Yes, I overthink.

Same problem here.  What's the difference between a $5 and a $100 microscope?  I don't know.  And possibly doesn't matter if I can't work either one.   :D

YOU DO THE SAME THING LINSEY DOES!

Who is Linsey?

Do people generally bring their toxic waste to the river in Tupperware?

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

:lol:

• Like 1

Same problem here. What's the difference between a $5 and a $100 microscope? I don't know. And possibly doesn't matter if I can't work either one. :D

Who is Linsey?

:lol:

My girlfriend. If I say my girlfriend is coming over I most likely mean her. "Foster family's" daughter.

• Like 2

I went to a bar tonight. For the first time in like fifteen years! A college friend moved to town and she wanted to get together for coffee, so wepicked a place but when we got there it was closed so we went to the bar down the street. It was the kind of place where you can get a beer, or if you’re feeling really fancy, a beer in a glass with an orange slice on the rim, so I ended up with just water. Then she asked me if I wanted to go dancing! 🤣. Maybe I shouldn’t find that so funny, but I do. In case you’re wondering, I didn’t go. I like dancing, but I just can’t see myself in a club. And there’s no way I can stay up til 11pm.

You sound like me.😜

I’m back. I’m in my fuzzy jammies. They’re actually a little warm to wear, but they are so comfy. Spent the afternoon at a surprise birthday party for my BFF. It was at a restaurant and DH and I knew nobody there except the guest of honor, but we sat by some interesting and talkative people and the meal was good, so all in all it was a good time.

• Like 4

Same problem trying to obtain unripe mangos. Both papayas and mangos seem to be sold not quite ripe enough to count as ripe, but way too ripe to count as green/unripe.

The only place I got a decent papaya was in Brazil. And mangoes..... forget it. They always taste like turpentine.

I'm way overdue for bedtime, so just popping by to say hi.  

Happy East Coast Sunday, everyone.  And happy early bday, Bookie!!  

BTW -- Concerted again tonight, but this time no famous people nearby, and no babies were with me to poop or squawk for them anyway. 

Well, actually I did sit next to the cymbal player's mother.  So there's that.  

• Like 7

Christmaspo

I have been putting off decorating for Christmas because our little tree and decorations are boring. But I have decided that we are going to do something different this year. We are going to make decorations out of origami. I think that will be fun.

Ooo that will be nice! Once the kids made these pretty origami stars and poinsettia-ish flowers on the road trip to Grandma and Grandpa's for Christmas and we hung them on the tree. So pretty!

I'm going to try to remember to cut some paper into squares so we can do that again on the long car trip.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5