Menu

Ignore this thread!

We had our ups and downs with my mother and stepfather. Mostly because we were never close or a "family" when I was growing up. Anyhoo, we moved closer to them after dd was born and before ds10 came along. We still had times when we took a year to not visit at their house (they were welcome at ours), etc.

BUT we had finally had it with all the drama and controlling behaviors and stuff and we refused to join them in Gatlinburg for Thanksgiving. We were also short on money and dh was just done. My brother and his family and aunt and cousins and their families all went. We stayed home and had Chinese food that thanksgiving day.

My mom passed away about 15 days after that trip. My stepdad 6 months later.

I would love it if we had handled that differently.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Don't beat yourself up over this.  When you're done you're done, and we have no idea when the final deadline is.  When you have to take a break you really have to.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I guess they’re just an Apple thing. :(. Now their coolness is significantly diminished if I can’t share them with you guys.

Well, that's not cool!  Apple should learn to share with others.  *pouting*

Thank you for trying, though!

You were only coming back so we could keep you focused. It would have been horrible of you to give us such an important task and then not give us a chance to perform.I can see them on my Android phone.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Okay, I wonder if it's a mobile/desktop thing?

Good morning. Iï¸ need to roll out of bed. Maybe I can just roll everywhere. But then how would Iï¸ get my steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walk on the walls as you roll!

• Like 1

I just commented to a co-worker that she looks fantastic and super skinny.  I know she has been losing weight, so I wanted to give her a little pat on the back to make her feel good, ya know?  Well, she told me that she has lost 107 pounds in the last 3 years, and that's with a pregnancy stuck in there!!  I had no idea she had lost that much. 

The best part, to me, is that she is seemingly also a HAPPIER, NICER person, and not so mean.  But I didn't tell her that part.  :leaving:

Being that fat is really hard. She was quite possibly in pain all the time.

• Like 2

Acoustic guitar is so soothing.  I wish that I had the time to learn.  Dh can't teach me not only because he doesn't have the time but he also is left handed and plays a left handed guitar (ie. strung backwards) 

I don't see why you couldn't learn left-handed guitar (other than the time issue). With violins, lefties play it exactly the same as right-handed people, so, if that works, then surely right-handed people can learn left-handed guitar (also, afaik, plenty of lefties play guitar the right-handed way). 

What's not soothing is dealing with a 10yo who whines he doesn't want to practice... otherwise, classical guitar is great. 

• Like 2

I taught the children, I swept and mopped the living room floor, I walked with the children to the library and back, I bought food, and, that's about it, I think. 

Breathing is exhausting. I used my inhaler once already today, and an allergy pill. Maybe I should use my inhaler again. 

• Like 4

What's not soothing is dealing with a 10yo who whines he doesn't want to practice... otherwise, classical guitar is great. 

When he's not whining, it certainly beats listening to Broccoli playing the violin... he's had it since last Wednesday, and a week isn't long enough to make it sound good yet (though it's less terrible than I worried it might be, for the most part). 

• Like 2

Iï¸ also want to learn to play the Bandurria. It’s a Filipino 14 string lute. We bought one and brought it back.

That sounds cool. You certainly should do that. 

Btw, I taught myself some guitar just with the book. That said, I played the violin for a long time, so that might have helped. 

• Like 2

I taught the children, I swept and mopped the living room floor, I walked with the children to the library and back, I bought food, and, that's about it, I think. 

Breathing is exhausting. I used my inhaler once already today, and an allergy pill. Maybe I should use my inhaler again. 

That's sounds like quite enough.

• Like 2

Iï¸ should drag out my violin sometime too. Iï¸ learned to play it by ear long before Iï¸ learned how to read music. Now I can’t figure out how to play the notes that I can now read.

Interesting thing. After at least ten years of not touching the thing Iï¸ subbed in a music class where they were learning violin. Iï¸ took a stab at it and played the very easy folk song by ear. The kids told me that I played better than their teacher. ;). I’m really not that good. Their teacher must have been really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I want a hang drum. And to play guitar well. But more than that I want to read Greek fluently and draw well.

I just watched a trailer for the movie

It looks like a lovely movie.  We almost never go the the theater, and I certainly won't go to a theater to see this.

I will watch it at home, in a room all by myself after everyone has gone to bed, and I will bawl my eyes out.

Likes are likes for the likeable, and hugs of commiseration for the unlikeable.

I think my phone skips posts between visits, so if I missed you, please don't be mad. I still love you.

DH being home is really cutting into my ITT time...

I had a skills test and tour for the new job today. I will find out the final say tomorrow, and if I get the call, I will have orientation tomorrow and begin work on Sunday night. I should probably write down DH's portion of lessons for next week. He's a list guy.

I came home and napped for 2 hours! Second time in a week I've napped in the middle of the day like that. This never happens. (Except the two times it just happened, so I have immediately outed myself as a liar.)

No lessons today, but we did co op and learned about the mystifying behavior of cliquey girls. Why? I'm not like this, and I don't get this, so it's hard to walk Reader through this. She doesn't understand it, either.

Now is bath time. I'm starting book 4 of 100, which is Week in the Woods by Andrew Clements. (#3 was The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.) Next, for #5, I plan on tackling Codependant No More.

Love and unicorn sparkles and fairy dust to each of you.

• Like 1

The little things matter.  After I had recovered from the lunch fiasco, I tried to get the bargain kitchen bag out of my garbage can.  I had to stick my hand way down into yucky kitchen garbage to even get the edges up high enough to grab and then part of it tore on me.  And once I got the garbage out and in the bin, I discovered that wet  yucky stuff had seeped all over the can and down to the bottom.  So I had to wash and disinfect the entire can.  I put more expensive but working garbage bags on my grocery list.  I already have the new ones in and I'm so happy to have bags that will actually work! 

• Like 6

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Ds10 has completed 3 math problems in 2 hours!

:cursing:  :grouphug:

:iagree:

Unless, of course, they were 3 problems from this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems

In that case, it'd be:

:party:

(I know, they were not from that list. This is more commonly an issue with writing in our house than with math (though math is not immune to this), but yes... it's super frustrating)

Dd13 is planning to make this tomorrow for dessert.  I'll let you know how it turns out.   :drool5:

That looks very yummy.

• Like 3

Today’s Thursday.

Don't argue with me.

One wonderful thing about DH's layoff - our house hasn't been so clean in years. AND he has done fully half the cooking.

Which, unfortunately for my waistline, included chocolate pudding and cookies.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: I'm glad things are going so well.
  • Like 2

If I’m on my phone and hit the check mark in the corner, is that a like?

After months of nagging, occasionally turning myself into a wicked witch and finally bribing the older sisters to help, DD(10)s room is not completely a hazardous disaster anymore.

• Like 5

If I’m on my phone and hit the check mark in the corner, is that a like?

After months of nagging, occasionally turning myself into a wicked witch and finally bribing the older sisters to help, DD(10)s room is not completely a hazardous disaster anymore.

Yes, I hit a check mark in the corner on my iPhone.