• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I don't wanna do anything. The kids are hyper. I can't go take a nap because I'll have to take them to guitar/violin soon. And then the playground (I sorta promised them to take them there after guitar/violin as a regular thing). And then Celery has soccer from 6:30-7:30. 

As a grandmother I promise to not give any gifts without asking parents first.  I don't like potty humor for kids so none of that from me.  (Not a commentary on what others like or even what the parents might like.  Just my own preferences.) 

What I wished that Grandparents had given - money towards bigger gifts or experiences. 

• Like 5

Everyone cross your fingers and hope for library magic. Yesterday, the short person needed to be at the animal shelter at 2 and then at a coffee shop for life group. Since we didn't have time to come home in between, I dropped her off at the library with her math. Between that time and the hour at the coffee shop (since life group got cancelled at the last minute - again :glare: ) SHE GOT EIGHT PROBLEMS DONE. She now has all of her weeks at least in the green, except for the current week. :party:

So I'm gonna drop her off at 1ish and let her work there until she starts tutoring at 4.  my-fingers-are-crossed-smiley-emoticon.g

• Like 8

I hate meal planning and grocery shopping and cooking. And I hate it even more now that my fridge is broken. All we have is a little dorm fridge, no freezer. So I have to shop and plan for 2-3 days at a time. I don't know how to do it. It doesn't help that I'm an awful cook and I never know what to serve as sides. I need our island chef and grocery-getter to come do this for me. My brain is frozen like a deer in headlights.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I just did the grossest job in the world. Well, maybe not quite the grossest, but close..... I pulled the buffet away from the wall where it has been sitting for the past 13 years and cleaned behind it so I could paint the baseboards. It had dust about an inch thick, plus a huge assortment of Legos, pens, markers, 21 cents, and other unidentifiable lumps. But, I got the baseboards painted.

Did I mention I am a crappy painter?? It looks ok, but I wish we could afford to just pay someone. The problem is, we have an open floor plan. The entire common living area of my home is really one big odd-shaped room. With like 10' ceilings and crown moulding. So, it would be a big project to get it painted.

• Like 2

Dear grandmothers and grandmothers to be, I really appreciate that my mother-in-law gives them lots of clothes for Christmas. She does it so there are many gifts under the tree and she knows that all of her children are struggling financially. She gives clothing for winter and summer.

I should make a grandma list to keep when the day comes.

We got the Human Anatomy and Physiology books today.  Eek.  This is more intense than I had expected.  And it doesn't come with a syllabus so I'm going to have to actually plan this out.  Oh.  And  I have to get a rat to dissect for the first week. 

:ack2:

Is it Guest Hollow?  Oak Meadow?  Whatcha usin'?

Okay, I got the kids down. Here is my mother-in-law's clothes shopping method. I assume she has at least 15 grandchildren now. She lives down the street from a Carter's store and they have quarterly sales. She goes in and only buys things that cost about $0.50. She once bought Mary a $2 jacket because she thought it was really cute, but that's not common. She buys whatever she wants regardless of size. Due to having numerous children from numerous boys that she raised she will buy one thing in multiple sizes if she really likes it. When she takes them home she hangs them in a closet with markers for size. When Christmas and birthdays come she asks the parents what size the children are and pics from the closet. I have had children for 7 years and only purchase them shoes and gloves. She probably even gives the other kids gloves but since we live in Oregon she never has.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

I just did the grossest job in the world. Well, maybe not quite the grossest, but close..... I pulled the buffet away from the wall where it has been sitting for the past 13 years and cleaned behind it so I could paint the baseboards. It had dust about an inch thick, plus a huge assortment of Legos, pens, markers, 21 cents, and other unidentifiable lumps. But, I got the baseboards painted.

Did I mention I am a crappy painter?? It looks ok, but I wish we could afford to just pay someone. The problem is, we have an open floor plan. The entire common living area of my home is really one big odd-shaped room. With like 10' ceilings and crown moulding. So, it would be a big project to get it painted.

This is you:  won-the-trophy-smiley-emoticon.gif   Yay, Krissi!

• Like 7

Human Anatomy and Physiology by Eliaina Marieb and the accompanying lab manual.  Published by Pearson or maybe Benjamin Cummings.  It's a college level text.  No syllabus by anyone like Guest Hollow or Oak Meadow to help me out.  I'm gonna die! 

Sorry.  That sounds bad.  But no dying allowed.  Per the rules.   :D

• Like 4

Okay, I got the kids down. Here is my mother-in-law's clothes shopping method. I assume she has at least 15 grandchildren now. She lives down the street from a Carter's store and they have quarterly sales. She goes in and only buys things that cost about $0.50. She once bought Mary a $2 jacket because she thought it was really cute, but that's not common. She buys whatever she wants regardless of size. Due to having numerous children from numerous boys that she raised she will buy one thing in multiple sizes if she really likes it. When she takes them home she hangs them in a closet with markers for size. When Christmas and birthdays come she asks the parents what size the children are and pics from the closet. I have had children for 7 years and only purchase them shoes and gloves. She probably even gives the other kids gloves but since we live in Oregon she never has.

Points. Also, she goes out after holidays and gets holiday clothing on sale. Christmas and Easter dresses, suits, Halloween t-shirts, things like that. Mary has half a dozen beautiful Easter dresses that she spent like $3 on.

• Like 1

Growl snarl growl phooey pout pout!

This afternoon is not going according to plan.  I ran the planned errands while the kids were at art class.  I even managed to gas up the vehicle before picking them up.

After I picked them up I got pulled over for speeding in a school zone I didn't know was active.

I have been delayed enough to not have time to pick up meat for tonight's supper before we have to go to music lessons.  I HAD to return to the house instead of just heading straight to music lessons because both girls left behind stuff they need.

This is after I had to turn around this morning when we started out to art class because I realized neither girl packed and brought their lunches.

I am taking a hot chocolate break.  I don't care if we leave late for music -- I.  Am.  Having.  A.  Hot.  Chocolate.  Break.

• Like 6

They ruin just as easily. MIL put one in the dishwasher and killed it. Another one was ruined by one of the kids and a metal spoon. :(

Hard anodized got ruined with a metal spoon?  Dang it, they are supposed to stand up to that!

I'm not worried about dishwashers.  I have my family trained not to put my good knives and pans into the dishwasher.

Human Anatomy and Physiology by Eliaina Marieb and the accompanying lab manual.  Published by Pearson or maybe Benjamin Cummings.  It's a college level text.  No syllabus by anyone like Guest Hollow or Oak Meadow to help me out.  I'm gonna die! 

If you die (which, of course, is Not Allowed), your dd will have the cadaver that she wanted.   :leaving:

• Like 8

I need a bundt pan. I keep seeing yummy recipes and don't have the right kind of pan.

Get one with some thickness to it, and some weight.  Don't get the thin ones.  You will get better results with a thicker bundt pan.

• Like 1

The thread titled "College Perimeters" makes me want to gouge out my own eyes.

I need a nap.

I guess OP meant "parameters".  I did wonder why college perimeters were of concern....

• Like 1

It's okay for now. We had well over a foot of snow on the ground when DH left. And then came the ominous warning of freezing rain and ice accumulations. I cleared all the things (a fun chore, that), and we got rain instead. Which is better and, because I cleared so much, has not resulted in the formation of ice sheets. But we're expecting up to an inch of rain tonight and tomorrow, so I'll get copious amounts of mud. Oh, and it'll probably trigger an influx of mice. Of which we've had two in the 9 days since DH left. Yay.  Basically, we're having spring. I hate spring.

I am sooper dooper tired and grumpy. Could you tell? :nopity:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

YiaYia died last Tuesday. We got the word on Wednesday, before we were to leave for the airport.

I am so very sorry.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Help me with this Christmas present.

Two cleaning caddies filled with:

Sketchbooks

Markers

Colored pencils

Pens & pencils

And...

These are for quiet time so no messy stuff.

Any quiet crafting or hobby you could include?  Model planes?  Cute stuff-it-yourself animals?

Hmmm.  I texted SIL and dh (we're on a group text) asking about Thanksgiving plans.  Dh said "lets do it".  SIL said that we can join them on Saturday if we want but everyone is busy or not going to come on Thursday.  Do you know what I'd like to do?  Forget Thanksgiving and celebrate my birthday on Thursday instead.  Is that dumb?  Would we find anywhere open to eat?  I think that I will ask my family if they have any strong feelings one way or the other.  I tend to give in to the person with the strongest feelings on stuff like this. 

• Like 5

Hmmm.  I texted SIL and dh (we're on a group text) asking about Thanksgiving plans.  Dh said "lets do it".  SIL said that we can join them on Saturday if we want but everyone is busy or not going to come on Thursday.  Do you know what I'd like to do?  Forget Thanksgiving and celebrate my birthday on Thursday instead.  Is that dumb?  Would we find anywhere open to eat?  I think that I will ask my family if they have any strong feelings one way or the other.  I tend to give in to the person with the strongest feelings on stuff like this. 

Great idea! IHOP and Asian.

• Like 2

I've gotten really strict about our grocery budget. I'll send Matt to the store for ingredients for pot roast and he'll comes back with ingredients for pot roast, chips and nacho cheese, and breakfast sandwiches. Then we run out of grocery money and I wind up eating gluten. He's no longer allowed to buy anything that isn't on the list and he's pissy about it.

• Like 1

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

I've been driving everyone around today, plus school, plus baseboards and Awana tonight. So I'm having my afternoon cuppa on my bed under my soft blankie. Although I must say it is absolutely beautiful outside. There is a storm coming in tonight, so the sky is getting interesting and the Chinese pistasche trees and the crepe myrtle and liquidamber trees (which are the three trees in our area that do anything nice for autumn) are in full color.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Everyone cross your fingers and hope for library magic. Yesterday, the short person needed to be at the animal shelter at 2 and then at a coffee shop for life group. Since we didn't have time to come home in between, I dropped her off at the library with her math. Between that time and the hour at the coffee shop (since life group got cancelled at the last minute - again :glare: ) SHE GOT EIGHT PROBLEMS DONE. She now has all of her weeks at least in the green, except for the current week. :party:

So I'm gonna drop her off at 1ish and let her work there until she starts tutoring at 4.  my-fingers-are-crossed-smiley-emoticon.g

The library is indeed magic. I did not think it was possible to love our library any more than I already loved our library, but now I love our library even more.  EIGHT more problems done. Seven of ten past weeks are blue; of the three green weeks, two are stuck because of writing problem tragedies but one has two remaining and the hope of blue.  This week has been knocked down to five problems.  Wow, wow, wow.  She's been really getting bogged down and frustrated, and boy did she ever just do some serious unbogging! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

• Like 9

Slache, grocery pickup. You order, and it's already bagged and ready to go. Things can't hop in the cart that way. Stuffmart does it for free, but I am sure other places do too.

I don't allow dh to step into Costco without me. Last time it was $$$ damage to the budget.

We can't afford those stores. Hubby will do as he's told, he'll just whine about it.

I hate meal planning and grocery shopping and cooking. And I hate it even more now that my fridge is broken. All we have is a little dorm fridge, no freezer. So I have to shop and plan for 2-3 days at a time. I don't know how to do it. It doesn't help that I'm an awful cook and I never know what to serve as sides. I need our island chef and grocery-getter to come do this for me. My brain is frozen like a deer in headlights.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Sliced meats

Sliced cheeses

Sliced bread

condiments

pickles

bagged salad

dressing if people must (in bottles)

Lay these out and tell folks it's Smorgasbord time!  Everyone assemble their own.

• Like 1