• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

DH does the taxes. Through a service. I just blindly sign on the line. I've tried to take an interest, but even thinking about bills and taxes makes me want to hide in a corner in the back of the deepest darkest closet I can find. So one day I just decided until DH dies, it's his job, and all the people who say women need to know what is going on with the finances can just bite my butt. I know where he keeps the passwords, I know there is a safety deposit box and where, and otherwise I wander through tax time blissfully unaware. I'm okay with that. Don't judge me. Or judge me silently; I'm okay with that.

• Like 6

The birds are happy now that the birdfeeders are full again. I only cursed the feeders a couple of times. Fortunately birdfeeders do not have souls, so no harm done. ;)

I am sitting here with SOTW, my reading lists, and the library website and wondering how much I can really get done in 30 minutes before I have to take the girls to a birthday party.

• Like 5

Well, I think my info may've been hacked when I was using the free wi-fi at the car wash this morning. I got some weird notifications and email. I changed passwords for the social media sites I was on.  If you don't hear from me for a while, it's because my new complex password is keeping me out.

Can I get in the line for Ryan Gosling? I just need him to do some handyman and housework jobs and read-aloud to my younger kids while I work with my older ones.

• Like 2

The food is done. Everyone is eating: roast, homemade bread, roasted lemon pepper Brussels sprouts, mozzarella and tomato salad and red velvet cake with white icing and ice cream. I still have some cleaning to do: bathrooms, the twins room, and put a bunch of stuff under the bed. :D

Thanks for all the hugs and encouragement. You all have kept me going today. :grouphug:

• Like 8

You know what cash is, right?

Yes.  I use it to stuff all of the mattresses. When I pay Susan, it will leave a big dip in the middle.

Use a bit of cash to get Slash the minivan. Please. Thanks.

Imma just mail her some cash because I don't want to choose anyone else's vehicle.  I hate choosing my own bad enough and try to avoid it if possible.  

DH does the taxes. Through a service. I just blindly sign on the line. I've tried to take an interest, but even thinking about bills and taxes makes me want to hide in a corner in the back of the deepest darkest closet I can find. So one day I just decided until DH dies, it's his job, and all the people who say women need to know what is going on with the finances can just bite my butt. I know where he keeps the passwords, I know there is a safety deposit box and where, and otherwise I wander through tax time blissfully unaware. I'm okay with that. Don't judge me. Or judge me silently; I'm okay with that.

We are both in bad shape!

I saw on Shark Tank last night a promo from an organizing company where you can pay a couple thousand dollars and they will have six organizers all working on your house at one.  That is what I want my BESTIE, Tex to get for me.  Since she seems to have money to spare. 

Consider it done.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 8

Has anyone ever purchased the Apologia Biology video instructions dvds? I'm busy driving myself crazy trying to make curricula decisions that will benefit not only current upcoming 9th grader but my kids down the line as well.  Junie, I saw that you were contemplating this is another thread. Did you spring for it? Are the free Bozeman videos enough?

Has anyone ever purchased the Apologia Biology video instructions dvds? I'm busy driving myself crazy trying to make curricula decisions that will benefit not only current upcoming 9th grader but my kids down the line as well.  Junie, I saw that you were contemplating this is another thread. Did you spring for it? Are the free Bozeman videos enough?

I have not used or seen these.  My boys are currently taking Apologia Biology at co-op.

Yes, we sprang for the dvd.  Fire away with your questions.  (I just warned ds15, since he's watched more of it than I have.   :D )

I don't know anything about the Bozeman videos.

:seeya:

With $20,000, I would establish a veterinary emergency fund.  It is apparently necessary. :glare:

Jean:  I use the cash-back component of my credit card as our vacation fund.  Or to, you know, pay catastrophic veterinary bills. :glare:

We are 99% sure that we're going with a health share ministry.  I am 100% sure that DD and I are.  The savings are going to go into a joint medical/veterinary emergency fund.  I'll just have to keep hoping for the vacation.  (How badly does the fact that our reasons for wanting a San Diego trip include 1) the desire to go to the AoPS office and 2) the desire to meet one of Jo's online writing instructors just SCREAM GEEK?)

Renai:  I hope you find the perfect car.

Dawn:  You deserve a week in bed, with Ryan Gosling on hand to do all the chores, schooling the children, and feeding you grapes and chocolate.

Edited because that last bit came out wrong.  All wrong.  :scared:   And I'm responsible for my child's writing education.  Holy. Cow.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 6

1. Have you guys been happy with Apologia Biology?

2. What components are you using the most?

3. Do you use the suggested Apologia labs or do you use a different lab kit?

4. Do you find the video supports the text?

5. Do you enjoy watching the video?

6. Is it worth the amount you paid for it ($$$?)

(Disclaimer:  I am not a sciency person.)  And, I numbered your questions so I can answer them more easily.

1.  Yes.  I know some people don't like Apologia, but we have been pleased with it.  I don't like the way the text is written out in the book -- I think it would be easier to read in columns -- but, overall, I think it's a good course.  

We are using the General Science (dd11), Physical Science (dd13), and Biology (dd15) books this year.  We also have two of the elementary books, but I have not really done anything with them yet.  We also have the Chemistry (2nd edition) book and dvd that ds15 will use next year.  I also hope to get the Advanced Biology curriculum.

Ds15 has used the General Science and Physical science books before Biology this year.

2.  Ds15 is using the textbook, the tests, and the Video Instruction DVD.  I also have the big spiraly notebook and the audiobook.  Dd13 enjoys science and writing copious notes, so she likes the notebooks.  I wish Ds would uses the notebook, too, but I chose not to fight this battle.  Dd9 has difficulty reading, so I bought the audiobooks for her in case it's no longer available when she is in high school.  (Dd11 is currently using the audiobook for General Science -- it helps with the pronunciation of terms she is unfamiliar with.)

3.  We are not using a lab kit.  He watches the labs on the DVD and we will do some of the simpler labs at home.  I can go into more detail about this if you want, but I'll have to look up some stuff.  (We are not doing dissections. )

4.  Ds15 says "yes".  The dvd seems to cover the same information that's in the book, similar to how a classroom teacher would explain a reading assignment.

5.  Ds15 gave me a quizzical look when I asked him this question. :lol:  So I reworded it:  "Do you hate watching the videos?"  No.

6.  I bought the dvd at Christianbook.  I think it was about $150.  I'm not sure that it would be worth that amount for only one or two students, but divided by 6 kids, I think it is definitely worth it.

Let me know if you want more info.   :)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

Have you guys been happy with Apologia Biology?

What components are you using the most?

Do you use the suggested Apologia labs or do you use a different lab kit?

Do you find the video supports the text?

Do you enjoy watching the video?

Is it worth the amount you paid for it ($$$?)

If I had to do it over again, which I do next year, I will do another biology.  I have no idea what other one.  It's hard to explain exactly why.  It just didn't seem to teach all I wanted it to teach.  Plus, dd, who is the one who will be taking it, asked for anything other than Apologia.  (She did not like their courses for younger kids.)

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1

:seeya:

With $20,000, I would establish a veterinary emergency fund.  It is apparently necessary. :glare:

Jean:  I use the cash-back component of my credit card as our vacation fund.  Or to, you know, pay catastrophic veterinary bills. :glare:

We are 99% sure that we're going with a health share ministry.  I am 100% sure that DD and I are.  The savings are going to go into a joint medical/veterinary emergency fund.  I'll just have to keep hoping for the vacation.  (How badly does the fact that our reasons for wanting a San Diego trip include 1) the desire to go to the AoPS office and 2) the desire to meet one of Jo's online writing instructors just SCREAM GEEK?)

Renai:  I hope you find the perfect car.

Dawn:  You deserve a week in bed, with Ryan Gosling on hand to do all the chores, schooling the children, and feeding you grapes and chocolate.

Edited because that last bit came out wrong.  All wrong.  :scared:   And I'm responsible for my child's writing education.  Holy. Cow.

I thought that last bit was funny. I even smiled and laughed for the first time today. Y'all are saving my sanity.

• Like 2

There was a thread on this. It's apparently a thing to do physics, then chemistry, then biology, because physics makes chemistry make sense and chemistry makes biology make sense.

Yes, I saw that.  I'm just wondering if anyone is going (or has gone) that route and has any advice, thoughts, etc..

Jo is taking Physical Science with Derek Owens right now.  It's the first time she's ever loved science.

• Like 1

I thought that last bit was funny. I even smiled and laughed for the first time today. Y'all are saving my sanity.

I don't know how well you would have liked the first draft; it had you in bed with RG-without a comma!

ETA:  I am the most inept writer today.  In the history of ever.  I want a nap, but I'm too lazy to walk up the stairs.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 1

I have never figured out how Virtual Homeschool Group works.  I am kind of inept at computer stuff.   :(

You make an account for yourself, and accounts for the kids taking classes. You can email Tammy to link the accounts with you as parent. That way, you can check up on what your kids are doing. Live classes open for registration on August 1. You have to click on the class you want, copy the registration code, and paste it in the appropriate spot. Self-paced courses can be enrolled any time. Once enrolled, You go to the class page, and there is live class link (if in live classes), and all assignments, etc.

If people have problems, it's usually with getting confused setting up accounts or registering for classes. It is easy to get help though.

• Like 2