• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Help! I brought oldest ds to dive meet and now I've been volunteered (by his coach) to judge it!!! <insert panic emo>. His coach will be one of the other judges. I may be keeping a close eye on his score card!!!! (This is not my day!)

That sounds... unexpected.  Maybe it will be fun.  You'll be a better diving judge than I would be, that I can guarantee you.

#splash

• Like 1

For wrapping, I wrap each kid's gift in a different kind of paper.  Ds's gifts are usually easy to recognize.  However the 5 girls do not always have it so easy.  For gift bags, I assign each person's gifts a different color tissue paper (whether it matches the bag or not).

• Like 3

Help! I brought oldest ds to dive meet and now I've been volunteered (by his coach) to judge it!!! <insert panic emo>. His coach will be one of the other judges. I may be keeping a close eye on his score card!!!! (This is not my day!)

You will be fabulous.  It will be fun.  When some folks asked me to keep the stats book and work the clock at the basketball game one time, I told them no and they cannot make me.  I still say that.  Seriously, no one wants me in charge of this stuff. :lol:

For wrapping, I wrap each kid's gift in a different kind of paper.  Ds's gifts are usually easy to recognize.  However the 5 girls do not always have it so easy.  For gift bags, I assign each person's gifts a different color tissue paper (whether it matches the bag or not).

In my grand simplifying of life, I only have one type of wrapping paper. Brown kraft paper. If you are lucky, you get a ribbon.  I bought a gold sharpie to write on the presents.

Ds is still not done with algebra, so we didn't make it to the park and dd is ticked. ***sigh*** Is it bedtime yet?

All of you seem to have a system.  My system is dig out whatever old paper I have in the under the stairs closet and use it until it is gone and then dig out some more.  Birthday presents are wrapped in Christmas paper, too.  No one has seemed to care, though, so I don't plan on changing.  Bah humbug. :hat:

• Like 7

I still have Wendy's wrapping paper from oh, 20-30 years ago? I just keep folding it back up and re-using it year after year. If I remember I will take a pic this year of something I use it on.

Edited because autocorrect was autowrong.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3

You will be fabulous.  It will be fun.  When some folks asked me to keep the stats book and work the clock at the basketball game one time, I told them no and they cannot make me.  I still say that.  Seriously, no one wants me in charge of this stuff. :lol:

All of you seem to have a system.  My system is dig out whatever old paper I have in the under the stairs closet and use it until it is gone and then dig out some more.  Birthday presents are wrapped in Christmas paper, too.  No one has seemed to care, though, so I don't plan on changing.  Bah humbug. :hat:

My system came about out of necessity.  My first couple of years with RA were really bad.  There were days that I could hardly hold a pen.  Labeling 100 Christmas gifts was not possible.

And so, I no longer label.  I just tell dh which paper to use for which gifts.

• Like 4

My system came about out of necessity. My first couple of years with RA were really bad. There were days that I could hardly hold a pen. Labeling 100 Christmas gifts was not possible.

And so, I no longer label. I just tell dh which paper to use for which gifts.

HOW MANY KIDS DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE!?!

Also, sorry about the RA.

I stuff four stockings and wrap about 12 gifts of that. My honey gets one, I get one, kids get about three each and family gets a game. Adults get an unwrapped book.

• Like 3

100 gifts *might* be an exaggeration.  My family always did Christmas big and so I have followed.  However, when we got gifts at Christmas, we literally were not given anything else until our birthdays -- except school clothes or shoes.  That meant lots of wrapped gifts, even if it was just crayons or socks or whatever.

I got a bunch of cheap ($4-5) movies this year, so those will each be individually wrapped.  Also, markers, crayons, etc.  It makes for a lot of presents, but this is how we've always done it.

ETA:  The dc will each get several toys plus a movie or two.  A new blanket, wallet, or watch -- something practical.  Usually they get a few books.

Then there are grandparents, my siblings, etc.  It's a lot of wrapping.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

I'm copy and pasting this to all the places where there are people who care (like my tackle thread).

Friday project day!

We did our dailies (math, vocab and Spanish).  Then dd made some "energy bites" which are very tasty indeed and nothing like the kinetic wet sand bars.  Then I drove us to the next city to Michael's while ds and I listened to a TC audio lecture and discussed.  We stopped and discussed a lot so we only got to about the 1/5 mark but I don't care because the discussion was engaging and on point.  We'll pick it up from where we left off on Monday.  At Michael's dd got materials for a future project making our gifts for extended family (ornaments with hot chocolate mix inside).  Then ds drove us home while I practiced deep breathing and maintaining a Zen-like calm in the face of danger.  At home, dd finished up her last project for the day - making us spaghetti carbonara for dinner.

• Like 4

It was one she found on Pinterest but it might be the same as yours.  I don't know.  I'm toast right now and am not going to check.  And  you can't make me! 

I just wanted credit if it is mine.  Also, I told you to make those weeks ago so I want credit anyway.  Credit is due so hand it over.

• Like 3

This should keep everyone busy.  These are my English class notes from an in vivo writing of the introduction and conclusion paragraphs for a literature analysis essay.  I was given students' thesis statements to work from and did it all spontaneously.CE87BC19-68EB-4FBE-A57E-0D69916F1F35_zps

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 3

Also, one of my smart aleck students (whom I like a lot) wrote down this famous quote, for which I shall be known forever. I have blacked out my name, but the effect is the same. I kinda love this little class.

d9f549ae-6cb0-4717-865e-cd28bba2b90f_zps

Your student has better penmanship than you. 🙄

• Like 2

My theme is going to be whatever is available at the dollar store.  Of course, I think I have some birthday wrapping paper left over around here somewhere...

Just to clarify: The theme is simply for labeling the gifts. I started it so they wouldn't know whose gift was whose. They have a lot of fun trying to figure out which gift belongs to whom. The wrapping paper doesn't matter.

I have done that too. But, since I only have two kids, once one thing was "maybe" figured out, they'd figure out the ownership of all the other gifts.

100 gifts *might* be an exaggeration.  My family always did Christmas big and so I have followed.  However, when we got gifts at Christmas, we literally were not given anything else until our birthdays -- except school clothes or shoes.  That meant lots of wrapped gifts, even if it was just crayons or socks or whatever.

I got a bunch of cheap ($4-5) movies this year, so those will each be individually wrapped.  Also, markers, crayons, etc.  It makes for a lot of presents, but this is how we've always done it.

ETA:  The dc will each get several toys plus a movie or two.  A new blanket, wallet, or watch -- something practical.  Usually they get a few books.

Then there are grandparents, my siblings, etc.  It's a lot of wrapping.

That's how I've done it too. We've had really lean years, and my family growing up (big family on mom's side) always  had a lot. There were years I relied on my mom's gifts so they'd have more than a book under the tree. We also don't do gifts on birthdays, only clothes. My kids have the very predictable quality of going through a growth spurt right after their birthday :D. So, yeah, every little thing would get wrapped - socks, underwear, crayons, it didn't matter.

• Like 2

I wish I had hair like yours, though, Tex.

Me too.

Once I was talking to this girl about how gorgeous her hair was and asked her where she got it done. Turns out it was a wig. I think she thought I was trying to be mean, but I honestly had no idea. If your hair is a wig, Tex, I'm going to buy one.

• Like 2

I am reading Outlander. Because my tooth hurts right now, and I don't want to think about it.

Go, Lynn, go......you can do it.

:hurray: Jean and Jean's ds. Good driving. No wreck. Way to go!

Beautiful hair Tex!!!!!

:grouphug: ITT Friends. No reason, just because.

Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 4

I have done that too. But, since I only have two kids, once one thing was "maybe" figured out, they'd figure out the ownership of all the other gifts.

Your Winnie-the-Pooh idea sounds cute.

Or I just had another idea, similar to some word puzzles that you see in workbooks sometimes.

Junie likes apples, but not oranges.  Junie likes lakes, but not rivers.  etc.  Junie likes words with "L" in them.

So you could do names (real, characters, authors, whatever) with G for gymnast and D for dancer (or their real names).  You would just have to make sure the G names don't have a D in them and that the D names don't have a G.

It might take them a long time to figure them out.

G:  Paige, Margaret, Grace, George

D:  Edward, Darlene, Judy, Donna, Dr. Seuss...

• Like 3

I am reading Outlander. Because my tooth hurts right now, and I don't want to think about it.

Go, Lynn, go......you can do it.

:hurray: Jean and Jean's ds. Good driving. No wreck. Way to go!

Beautiful hair Tex!!!!!

:grouphug: ITT Friends. No reason, just because.

Make sure that your dc know what night you're putting your tooth under your pillow.  The tooth fairy does not discriminate against age.  :)

Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Like 4

I survived judging. I've done it before - but only for summer and usually the little kids - so it was obvious when they did a good five. But this was high school. I copied coach but went up or down half a point depending on how I felt about it, lol.

Christmas wrapping - I do what Junie does so I don't have to write labels. First gift is with stocking do they know which paper is theirs. Then gifts are passed out accordingly. I'd like to pick a different solid color for each person this year, but she will probably think that's boring. Whatevs.

• Like 6