Menu

Ignore this thread!

I refuse to eat at Taco Bell. And I will eat anything. The last time I had it was at an airport. I was pregnant. Then I remembered why I don't eat at Taco Bell. If I was starving and went to Taco Bell I would order a soda and plain tortilla chips.

I think that about covers my feelings about Taco Hell, as we call it.

• Like 4

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Vomit Kid prefaced the vomiting with lots and lots and lots of coughing (has been coughing since last week). Over everything. At everyone. And without covering his mouth. His mom and I kept telling him to cover his mouth. This is the same mom I spoke to the principal about.

I refuse to eat at Taco Bell. And I will eat anything. The last time I had it was at an airport. I was pregnant. Then I remembered why I don't eat at Taco Bell. If I was starving and went to Taco Bell I would order a soda and plain tortilla chips.

We call Taco Bell dog food.

• Like 1

Well, we know Jean is out endangering society with heavy machinery.

Some people are listening to music. Other people are cleaning with no music.

I am helping ds11 make Apple Pie II. I have tried to make green bean casserole and it always turns out gross. I like others' green bean casserole, though.

Feature, not bug.

• Like 2

Word.

I have never brined for 2 days. It is done in an ice chest (no room in fridge), so it's impractical. Besides, I always forget. And I've been doing this turkey for years.

How long do you brine it?  My turkey is in an ice chest in the kitchen, hopefully defrosting.  I was going to start brining Wednesday morning, but I haven't decided on the brine yet.  Nor have I gone shopping.  Because fire across the street.  (But the downstairs bathroom is impeccably clean [only such room in the house] and I have food immediately available for a vegetarian and a person on an anti-inflammatory diet, so there is that.] Which reminds me that I better get ready for a crapload of extras on Thursday, including the above diets, an elderly mostly blind man, and a vegan.  Nonna is still planning Thanksgiving at her house, but I'm thinking I'd better be prepared to be backup.  I think I'd better get cracking tomorrow, no?)

Off for more wine.

How long do you brine it?  My turkey is in an ice chest in the kitchen, hopefully defrosting.  I was going to start brining Wednesday morning, but I haven't decided on the brine yet.  Nor have I gone shopping.  Because fire across the street.  (But the downstairs bathroom is impeccably clean [only such room in the house] and I have food immediately available for a vegetarian and a person on an anti-inflammatory diet, so there is that.] Which reminds me that I better get ready for a crapload of extras on Thursday, including the above diets, an elderly mostly blind man, and a vegan.  Nonna is still planning Thanksgiving at her house, but I'm thinking I'd better be prepared to be backup.  I think I'd better get cracking tomorrow, no?)

Off for more wine.

Wednesday morning sounds about right. I've completed they defrosting process in the brine many times.

I'm still trying to figure out the menu. So far, I have:

turkey

cornbread dressing (in the pan)

macaroni and cheese (Pioneer Woman recipe)

green bean casserole

I usually do corn, but since I'm doing mac and cheese, that will be too much yellow. I need other colors in there. Yes, my mom taught me to cook by color.

• Like 4

Pay someone. It will be worth every penny.

When Mr. Ellie and I moved to this house almost 12 years ago, we paid someone to paint most of the rooms, because it is a big house with high ceilings and a two-story entry. We wanted it d.o.n.e. So, living room, dining room, family room, two bedrooms, entry, halls. Best money we ever spent.

I always try to hire when I can make more money at my own work, than it costs. I figure, share the wealth. Then I make sure to work extra to pay for it. I'm paid in consulting and salary, but in the long run I figure it works.

And then someone who needs a painting job has a painting job.

We have TacoTime here in WA. And it's really good! They have "Mexi-Fries" which are actually tater tots. Whatever. 

Wednesday morning sounds about right. I've completed they defrosting process in the brine many times.

I'm still trying to figure out the menu. So far, I have:

turkey

cornbread dressing (in the pan)

macaroni and cheese (Pioneer Woman recipe)

green bean casserole

I usually do corn, but since I'm doing mac and cheese, that will be too much yellow. I need other colors in there. Yes, my mom taught me to cook by color.

I think you and I would seriously bond over food.

• Like 2

I'm blocking everyone who likes Taco Bell.

I've never brined a turkey in my life and this year's not looking good, either.

I tried to call dh's father's wife, and she did not answer. Or answered and hung right up. So I played detective and called up a nursing home at 9 pm trying to find my father in law after searching the ss death records. Found him and got the lady there to confirm he is there. Will write a letter and send a package to him. All of this is normal in dh's family. He is the only one of his siblings who has had any contact at all with their dad for years. I will send the wife a letter, too.

• Like 3

I'm blocking everyone who likes Taco Bell.

I've never brined a turkey in my life and this year's not looking good, either.

I tried to call dh's father's wife, and she did not answer. Or answered and hung right up. So I played detective and called up a nursing home at 9 pm trying to find my father in law after searching the ss death records. Found him and got the lady there to confirm he is there. Will write a letter and send a package to him. All of this is normal in dh's family. He is the only one of his siblings who has had any contact at all with their dad for years. I will send the wife a letter, too.

Only a big deal if you buy a natural bird.  The supermarket birds are injected which a sodium-laden solution that functions as a brine.  If you buy a natural or organic bird brining helps keep it moist during the cooking process.  Because chemistry.*

*Gratuitous mention of chemistry qualifies this as an educational post.  Yay, me.

• Like 8

Only a big deal if you buy a natural bird. The supermarket birds are injected which a sodium-laden solution that functions as a brine. If you buy a natural or organic bird brining helps keep it moist during the cooking process. Because chemistry.*

*Gratuitous mention of chemistry qualifies this as an educational post. Yay, me.

Oh good. I bought some cheap frozen thing at Kroger. It's full of chemicals but I got to skip brining. 😃
  • Like 5

Our first year with a natural bird was turkey jerky. My mom knows how to brine... or so she thought.

I love natural birds.  Last year, I actually produced the perfect roast turkey.  The skin was golden, crispy, and beautiful. The dark meat was done, and the breast meat was moist and tender.  When I carved it, I swear that I heard angels singing.  I tend to be a poultry aficionada, but I had no idea that turkey could be that good.  I can only hope to partially recreate last year's magnificence.  *Cue the song "Memories"

• Like 4

A lady from church once made carrots baked in some kind of horseradish sauce. I could have eaten the whole pan.

Not at home so can't refer to the recipe and be exact, but you'd love this one:  Sear all sides of a rump roast.  Throw it in a pot or crockpot and season it with salt and pepper.  Pour a jar of horseradish sauce on top, along with some water (1-2 cups? I forget how much, but just to keep it moist).  Add a bag of baby carrots, a bag of frozen pearl onions (thawed), and some baby potatoes cut in half.  Cover and cook for how ever many hours needed to leave it melt-in-your-mouth tender. (About 4-5ish for stovetop; longer for crockpot.)  Remove meat and veggies to a platter to keep warm; use remaining juices for a gravy.  

Yum. 

I'll try to get details more accurate when we are home from travels, if you want. 

• Like 5

I love natural birds.  Last year, I actually produced the perfect roast turkey.  The skin was golden, crispy, and beautiful. The dark meat was done, and the breast meat was moist and tender.  When I carved it, I swear that I heard angels singing.  I tend to be a poultry aficionada, but I had no idea that turkey could be that good.  I can only hope to partially recreate last year's magnificence.  *Cue the song "Memories"

I had a bird like that, and thankfully it was when my parents came to visit. I've actually only had one (or two) "bad" bird.

Edited by Renai

I am spoiled.

On vacation 'til tomorrow night, then unpacking Wednesday, then spending Thursday with friends who aren't letting me bring anything but the kids.  

The down side is that there is no motivation to clean my oven, do my laundry, or in any other way earn the reward of Thursday's gluttony and festivities. And there are no leftovers on Friday.  

I can live with that though.  

• Like 6

Well, I stayed up a bit to deal with laundry that my dh started earlier today - a huge double sized load that required extra, extra cycles to dry (what was he thinking?) and a load I had to re-wash because he put his shoes in with stuff I would never wash shoes with. 

Then, I went to bed and was beginning to get sleepy when 7yo dd came in to tell me she had thrown up.  once or twice in the kitchen.  I threw her in the shower and went down stairs.  It was not once or twice.  It looked like the Texas Chainsaw massacre with throw up instead of blood.  4 separate large splatters on the tile in the kitchen.  And another one on the carpeted stairs.  I used 2 rolls of paper towels.  And still needed rags to work on the carpet stains.  I think that took an hour.  Did I mention the residual splatter on cabinet fronts, walls, etc.?  

I should not have bragged a couple hundred pages ago about how well I have trained my children to make it to the bathroom or keep a bowl with them.  I have cleaned up more vomit tonight than all previous 17 years of all 5 children combined.  (And I guess now I won't feel guilty about not cleaning again for awhile.) 

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever had horseradish.

Schlotzky's (sp? too lazy to spell-check) has a tasty roast beef sandwich that comes with horse radish. Although the sandwich is tasty, I cannot eat the horse radish, because the top of my head...burns. :blink:

And oh, yeah...

BOOYA!!!!

TWICE IN ONE DAY

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 10

Schlotzky's (sp? too lazy to spell-check) has a tasty roast beef sandwich that comes with horse radish. Although the sandwich is tasty, I cannot eat the horse radish, because the top of my head...burns. :blink:

And oh, yeah...

BOOYAH!!!!

TWICE IN ONE DAY

OOOooooooh!  Serifs!  

Once again the Queen brings a little class to the ITT.   Almost perfect, but don't worry....FTFU.  Now Perfection.   :hat:

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 7