• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Mine aren't like that at all. No meds. Mine are harmless. Harmless seizures, isn't that nice? I become dizzy, and have weird sensations like my skin isn't attached, just sitting on me. It's why was hot and cold and tingly. It took months to figure out what it was. I had them a lot as a teen, but hardly ever now.

I have those, too. They can be a little unsettling when driving because they're distracting, but ultimately harmless.

The trouble in my experience is that people can "switch" their seizure type somewhat unexpectedly sometimes. I was certainly not expecting a broken back after 23 years of only the little tingles about every 4 or 5 years like you're talking about.

Thanks for the PSA, Lynn.... my mother has been notified to order NOW.  Water shortages we can live with, but LEGO shortages are a state of emergency around here.  They are ridiculously expensive (Sorry, Mark....) but they are LITTLE and they bring a SPARK OF JOY by entertaining my children for hours.  So they fit Santa-Mommy's requirements.  

Thankfully we aren't into Star Wars here, but one set is not scheduled to be released until Dec. 1.  Do I need to stay up til midnight to make sure we get it?  Is it really that crazy with Legos at Christmas time?  We've only purchased a few sets so far, and never at Christmas.  

• Like 1

I have those, too. They can be a little unsettling when driving because they're distracting, but ultimately harmless.

The trouble in my experience is that people can "switch" their seizure type somewhat unexpectedly sometimes. I was certainly not expecting a broken back after 23 years of only the little tingles about every 4 or 5 years like you're talking about.

I guess I just won't switch then. Do you know what causes yours? I don't.

• Like 1

Thanks for the PSA, Lynn.... my mother has been notified to order NOW.  Water shortages we can live with, but LEGO shortages are a state of emergency around here.  They are ridiculously expensive (Sorry, Mark....) but they are LITTLE and they bring a SPARK OF JOY by entertaining my children for hours.  So they fit Santa-Mommy's requirements.  

Thankfully we aren't into Star Wars here, but one set is not scheduled to be released until Dec. 1.  Do I need to stay up til midnight to make sure we get it?  Is it really that crazy with Legos at Christmas time?  We've only purchased a few sets so far, and never at Christmas.  

I don't know how much "sniping" goes on with popular LEGO sets. If it's not Star Wars you probably won't have to do this. If it IS Star Wars, heaven help you because retail toy store employees are sometimes in those jobs for the holidays for the sole purpose of buying those sets first. Some of them are full time employed during the day somewhere else. It's nuts.

I guess I just won't switch then. Do you know what causes yours? I don't.

There have been theories. Like I said, the docs used to think it was my asthma medication because it was found to cause seizures in lots of kids at the time. They don't use it (in that formulation) anymore.

Now the working theory is that I have an anatomical "curiosity" in my brain (showed up on an MRI) in that there are two lobes that sort of fit inside of each other (as they do on everyone) but in mine the gap is just a bit wider than it should be. They think that when I get dehydrated, the tissue shrinks just a bit and causes electrical arcing and seizures. That fits my symptoms being prominent in the summer when I'm active and feeling thirsty, for sure.

I had a six month driving restriction after the back breaker that almost cost me my job. Now I'm on meds (ugh) but at least they're cheap and Keppra has few or no side effects. I also make sure to drink water.

When I first started Keppra I found myself very focused and able to work on projects that I had kept putting off before. I was really hoping that "side effect" would stick around. Sadly, it hasn't really.

I am definitely doing much more art than I was before, though. Just not in as focused a way as the first month on that pill. :-P

• Like 1

After the first four kids, my stuff was thrashed and no one (except dh and I) were excited that we were having a 5th.

So, your best gift, imho, is genuine excitement if you can muster it!

My kids want lego advent calendars.  I just have a hard time coughing up $80 for an advent calendar, especially since we already have an extensive figurine collection. If it they really HAD to have it, I'd go for it, but the reality is that when we go to the store, one ds jumps all over the nerf guns and the other wants something else. So, I'm a mean mom, especially since everyone wants their OWN calendar. 

EIGHTY bucks?? Where do you live?  Nana got one for DD (because, Nana), but I think it was $40.

• Like 1

My daughters are crazy spoiled. I mean, they don't have high expectations and ask for specific things, but if their loot is not up to snuff they will definitely notice. This is mostly my fault. When I was a single dad I'd shop clearance tables all over town just to make sure that my oldest had a big pile under the tree because my grandparents would lavish gifts on her cousins, but ignore her (because I was persona non grata for various family political reasons.) As I started to do better and better in my career I increased the prices of the gifts without reducing the quantity, because for awhile I still had that idea in my head (from my family) that a big pile was important and a demonstration of love, regard, etc.

So now they just sort of expect it. They won't complain, but they would be disappointed. Parenting fail, there. :-P

Sympathy.

Since we've been with a dozen other children (cousins) up until this year, I'm a little worried about the pile-effect too.  With so many kids under one tree in the past, my kids are used to seeing a fabulous mountain of stuff, even though only a small fraction of it was theirs.

But that's one of the reasons we are happy to be home this year... to change the focus of the day.  So I'm trying to break the mega-pile-habit cold-turkey.   The want-need-wear-read approach is appealing.  But I do worry, probably unnecessarily.  My kids have always been easy to please.  

• Like 3

A "Pineapple Express" is a storm that blows in off of the Pacific - specifically a warmer storm that comes from Hawaii.  It is also called an "atmospheric river" by the meteorologists, but that isn't as nice a name in my opinion.  

"Atmospheric river" may not be nice, but it sure is accurate! :scared:

• Like 1

Gah! It's happening again! If I die know that I love you all! Here are my last words...

Everyone needs to stop picking on Tsuga.

#noh

Do you get that thing where your head kinda fills with static and then it "drains" down your neck, over your shoulders, and down to your fingers and toes? It's like the worst thing. It's like licking a 9 volt battery with your whole body.

It's the fact that it "exists" if you know what I mean...

I'm this way about anything with "pieces". Even puzzles now, I can't have them out, even if the pieces are neatly in their box and covered. They are there, and they are staring at me! I used to really like puzzles. I just can't take the separated look anymore. I still keep a few around and get them out at times to give myself a little immersion treatment- see if I can stand it-it's a no-go.

Because of a fear of losing pieces?  My friend has serious anxiety issues because of this... she's actually begged us not to get legos for her son's bday.  She just can't handle it. (Which I understand... I'm a bit of a control-freak about our Playmobil sets.)

• Like 1

Good morning, all!  We survived the storm, power intact, but Jeez Louise, what a night!  Happily (for us), the worst of it did indeed pass to the south of us.  Yesterday I broke out the ruler and confirmed that we-briefly-had five inches of snow on the ground.  It's  all gone in the open areas; I've yet to take the dog out into the woods to see if there's anything left there.  I also haven't had the nerve to see how much ice has formed.  Keep your fingers crossed for a warm day here, 'k?  It's going to get really cold, and I don't want Nana to have to deal with copious amounts of ice.

• Like 5

Yeah. Like hot static. Why?

Just curious whether it's an individualized sorta thing. I've heard from different people that they'll see things, not see things, hear things, smell things, etc during a seizure. All sorts of stuff.

For me it's this static that starts on my scalp (or feels like it anyway) and works its way down like the electricity is draining out of me. It's weird and uncomfortable.

Sometimes when I'm dehydrated I'll see sort of a kaleidoscope effect over my field of vision. That's always fun. Kinda like when you rub your closed eyes really hard.

Just curious whether it's an individualized sorta thing. I've heard from different people that they'll see things, not see things, hear things, smell things, etc during a seizure. All sorts of stuff.

For me it's this static that starts on my scalp (or feels like it anyway) and works its way down like the electricity is draining out of me. It's weird and uncomfortable.

Sometimes when I'm dehydrated I'll see sort of a kaleidoscope effect over my field of vision. That's always fun. Kinda like when you rub your closed eyes really hard.

I used to see things. It seems that the older I get the less severe they are. Sometimes I'm sitting there and I think "I think I just had a seizure, but I'm not sure."

• Like 1

Eta: I'm all better now. Sorry. I freaked out.

I just woke up so sick. Diarrhea, vomiting, cramping, migraine, bloody nose, I'm shaking, I think I had one of those mild seizures I have once every few years, I'm hot and cold and tingly. This sucks so much. I've felt so good for days!

:grouphug:

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4S98AW?keywords=lego%20advent%20calendar%202015&qid=1447861921&ref_=sr_1_8&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-8

This is the one they want, #75056.  It was last year's calendar. I made the mistake of looking at this year's selection on amazon. (The lego store website was already sold out of all of the star wars ones.) Target still has one, but this year's calendar doesn't have as cool of "guys".  Kid3 is deciding what he REALLY wants and is supposed to let me know today.

Because of a fear of losing pieces?  My friend has serious anxiety issues because of this... she's actually begged us not to get legos for her son's bday.  She just can't handle it. (Which I understand... I'm a bit of a control-freak about our Playmobil sets.)

No, I don't think it is that. I think it is the same reaction I get to cluttered screens or cluttered pages in a book. I just can't stand the idea that things are not "assembled." 

• Like 1

I don't know how much "sniping" goes on with popular LEGO sets. If it's not Star Wars you probably won't have to do this. If it IS Star Wars, heaven help you because retail toy store employees are sometimes in those jobs for the holidays for the sole purpose of buying those sets first. Some of them are full time employed during the day somewhere else. It's nuts.

Now that you mention that, I remember being told this very thing by a Lego store employee.  I think you can even just volunteer to help with crowd control for a day, and gets some perks in return.  

The one coming out in Dec is Frozen.  Anna's castle.  

• Like 1

Mine aren't like that at all. No meds. Mine are harmless. Harmless seizures, isn't that nice? I become dizzy, and have weird sensations like my skin isn't attached, just sitting on me. It's why was hot and cold and tingly. It took months to figure out what it was. I had them a lot as a teen, but hardly ever now.

That is so weird. (Said again in the most kind and fascinated tone.) :)

You are quite the study!

• Like 1

No, I don't think it is that. I think it is the same reaction I get to cluttered screens or cluttered pages in a book. I just can't stand the idea that things are not "assembled." 

Ahhhh.... yes.  Not a problem for me as long as we have a storage system in place for toys, but I can imagine what that's like.  I'm the same way about cluttered screens and books.  Phonics Pathways killed me.  We lasted a page and a half.  I couldn't stand the layout.  

• Like 1

I'm FINALLY over my playmobil angst--the need to preserve all pieces to all sets.... I got the kids some Trofast units from IKEA, labeled them, and told them things have to go back there when they are not in active play.  I can handle the chaos inside of a labeled bin.

Speaking of Playmobil.....I'm giving the kids some of the Egypt pieces I found at USA Toy! I still regret not hopping on the Roman pieces back when when they came out.

• Like 2

That is so weird. (Said again in the most kind and fascinated tone.) :)

You are quite the study!

:lol: My uterus is in some book somewhere. It's my most um... achieved body part. My vision issues were dismissed as autism and my seizures are incredibly commom, but my uterus is talented! I was studied by like 6 doctors who were trying to figure it out and eventually just medicated.

• Like 2

So on my lunch break I went and bought Izzy that Millenium Falcon set for Christmas. I blame all of you for bringing it up.

I figure it's probably going to sell out soon, and I can always return it if we decide to go another way.

EDIT - oh and if you spend >$50 on LEGO at Toys R Us right now, you get a free C3PO minifig, apparently. The Episode 7 version of him with a red left arm (no explanation for the red arm yet.)

• Like 4

Me

Ds15 has a lot of Legos, but they are not allowed out of his room.

The Lego clutter is contained.

I only have one child.  And the entire living room is currently a battle scene of Legos, MegaBloks, antique Star Wars toys, army men, and miscellaneous other items.  If I move anything, I get in trouble.  And DH plays with him, so it's all good.  I didn't even vacuum before the grandparents came over for his birthday, because we would have had to deconstruct the battle scene.  And it took too long to build to even go there.  I only ever go in there on the weekends anyway.  With a book, on my corner of the couch.

• Like 6

I only have one child.  And the entire living room is currently a battle scene of Legos, MegaBloks, antique Star Wars toys, army men, and miscellaneous other items.  If I move anything, I get in trouble.  And DH plays with him, so it's all good.  I didn't even vacuum before the grandparents came over for his birthday, because we would have had to deconstruct the battle scene.  And it took too long to build to even go there.  I only ever go in there on the weekends anyway.  With a book, on my corner of the couch.

I made Izzy put half of her giant Rubbermaid bins that were starting to make the TV nook impassible up in her room. Oh the acrimony, but we sort of have a living room again.

The other day, she took some paper towel and TP rolls that she'd been collecting, cut them into segments, and painstakingly decorated each one individually in a myriad of colors and patterns and stickers. Then she took about 30 or 40 paper lunch bags out of her craft drawer and filled them with this new treasure, then piled them all atop her little plastic play table and chair set. It only took about an hour for them to spread across a 20 foot radius. Paper bags full of cardboard segments aren't very heavy. The breeze generated from people walking by makes them slide 5 feet.

I threw them all out after she went to bed. I am now Hitler.

No Santa = no presents from Santa. Matt believed in Santa until he was 16. Never questioned it. His sister figured it out and told him. He told her what that meant but it was too late.

:001_rolleyes:

I clued my oldest in at 15 so that she wouldn't embarrass herself at school. She was so upset for like 5 minutes.

The youngest is totally bought into the Santa thing but I sort of go out of my way to make it pretty believable with physical evidence, special Santa wrapping paper, customized "gold seals" on the gifts...