Menu

Ignore this thread!

My boss seems to be carefully pretending that we didn't have a two hour conversation about cutting my hours back. I will have to broach it again this week with my wife's schedule in hand and my proposed solutions. The trouble is that I'm not really sure what my proposed solutions are. I kind of want to only work about 24 hours a week, but I think that's very likely to be too deep a cut into our income right now, and I'm not sure if it will fly anyway.

The fact is, of course, that I'm only REALLY doing about 3-5 hours worth of work per week anyway, and even that is generous. It's likely to pick up a bit soon, but not very much, I think. They overestimate how long it takes me to do things. For years I found that situation really advantageous but now I'm old, crochety, frustrated because of lack of time to take care of my family especially my home schooler, and fearing death and all, and the pretense is no longer amusing it's just depressing.

• Like 5

Good morning, all!

I have no dr., dentist, or ortho appointments to attend to! And dd is getting a ride downtown to her choir thing, so I get a whole day to do lessons with my kids, and then just an hour of violin students this afternoon.

What should we have for dinner? I'm thinking rubbery baked chicken and mashed potatoes.

• Like 7

I've given up on trying to bake chicken that doesn't suck. Boneless breasts are cheap but if somebody tells you that it's skill based they're lying. You need to be able to approximate cooking time based on what you've drowned them in to make them taste like food and their thickness and etc, but it's 80% luck as to whether you get a nice juicy chunk of bland meat textured paste, or something chewy and awful and akin to devulcanized rubber only without the plastic aftertaste.

I've started using cutlets and breading them and frying them in oil in a pan, then doing parmesan or veggies or other things on top, which is better but not as cheap as those huge packs of breasts you can buy. I don't really have time or motivation to make my own cutlets from them and I'd feel like I was throwing way too much of it out. I can make soup but I'll be the only one who eats it if I do.

• Like 1

My friend who was hospitalized post heart-valve replacement surgery passed away yesterday. 

What struck me about the FB page that her husband set up for prayers and now remembrances of her is how many people described her as "my best friend".  She was a lovely, encouraging lady.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

Good morning all! I slept in until 6:30!

Tsuga, I'm missing the bitter brussels sprouts taste buds, along with about 4% of the population. I *love* brussels sprouts. True story.

Ikslo, tofu is amazing for poor people.

Mark, just no.

No what? 

Anyhow I like Brussells sprouts.

My friend who was hospitalized post heart-valve replacement surgery passed away yesterday.  I would like to share her with my ITT friends.  She was a really amazing lady, and I can say I knew her "when".

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/194660-tallahassee-lobbyist-stacey-webb-dies-after-heart-surgery

What struck me about the FB page that her husband set up for prayers and now remembrances of her is how many people described her as "my best friend".  She was a lovely, encouraging lady.  

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Thanks, friends.

I dreamed about SWB last night.  I visited her at her goat farm.  Also, she was running a dog rescue and shelter, and I found a dog to take there.  In addition, I saved an old man on a huge tractor who had passed out while the tractor was still going.  SWB made us take off our shoes before we came into the house and passed out wet paper towels for us to wipe down our feet because Mom.

• Like 8

My friend who was hospitalized post heart-valve replacement surgery passed away yesterday.  I would like to share her with my ITT friends.  She was a really amazing lady, and I can say I knew her "when".

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/194660-tallahassee-lobbyist-stacey-webb-dies-after-heart-surgery

Oh honey girl, I'm so sorry. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :crying: :crying: :crying:

• Like 3

There were a lot of idiots out on the road this morning.  Grrrr.  

In Connecticut, Christmas driving season has already started. I'm so glad I switched from the minivan to the turbo Beetle now. Otherwise I might be homicidal (or dead, as the Beetle's ability to get out of the way of suicidal morons has already saved me from one collision.)

• Like 3

My boss seems to be carefully pretending that we didn't have a two hour conversation about cutting my hours back. I will have to broach it again this week with my wife's schedule in hand and my proposed solutions. The trouble is that I'm not really sure what my proposed solutions are. I kind of want to only work about 24 hours a week, but I think that's very likely to be too deep a cut into our income right now, and I'm not sure if it will fly anyway.

The fact is, of course, that I'm only REALLY doing about 3-5 hours worth of work per week anyway, and even that is generous. It's likely to pick up a bit soon, but not very much, I think. They overestimate how long it takes me to do things. For years I found that situation really advantageous but now I'm old, crochety, frustrated because of lack of time to take care of my family especially my home schooler, and fearing death and all, and the pretense is no longer amusing it's just depressing.

Oh god do I hear you.

Tex I am very sorry for your loss. She sounds amazing.

• Like 1

My friend who was hospitalized post heart-valve replacement surgery passed away yesterday. I would like to share her with my ITT friends. She was a really amazing lady, and I can say I knew her "when".

What struck me about the FB page that her husband set up for prayers and now remembrances of her is how many people described her as "my best friend". She was a lovely, encouraging lady.

:grouphug: I am so sorry for your loss.

You and her family will be in my prayers.

Homeschooling at my house feels like flipping channels.  This year I have 11th, 9th, 7th, 4th, 2nd, and K.

Today in Junie's homeschool:  Spanish vocabulary review; adding and subtracting fractions; 2 spelling tests (or was it 3?); Bible lessons; a book about Germany including watching videos on youtube of the Glockenspiel; recognizing the letter i (upper and lowercase); editing reports on our Pilgrim ancestors; a news update about developments in Paris; synonyms and improving writing with more interesting words; multiplying fractions...

It's been a productive morning.

This afternoon:  algebra and discussion of Macbeth.

• Like 9

Homeschooling at my house feels like flipping channels. This year I have 11th, 9th, 7th, 4th, 2nd, and K.

Today in Junie's homeschool: Spanish vocabulary review; adding and subtracting fractions; 2 spelling tests (or was it 3?); Bible lessons; a book about Germany including watching videos on youtube of the Glockenspiel; recognizing the letter i (upper and lowercase); editing reports on our Pilgrim ancestors; a news update about developments in Paris; synonyms and improving writing with more interesting words; multiplying fractions...

It's been a productive morning.

This afternoon: algebra and discussion of Macbeth.

Yes - you are the ball in a human pinball machine. :D

• Like 5

Dd9 just answered the phone and brought it to me saying, "Mom, the free cruise to the Bahamas called again!" Poor lady. She calls every other day and we rudely refuse to speak to her. And so sad that her parents named her Free Cruise to the Bahamas.

Congratulations!!   :D

We get the same/similar calls.  We could go on vacation together!!

• Like 3

I thought in large families the younger ones were just supposed to learn through osmosis.  No?

Our family isn't really large but in my experience, my youngest learns mostly bad habits and bad manners from her older sister, even though her older sister is a tremendous help with her. :-) The rest she gets from us. :P

• Like 3

I thought in large families the younger ones were just supposed to learn through osmosis.  No?

Actually, that does happen with some things.

Dd7 taught herself how to read.

And this year I'm officially teaching Spanish to my high schoolers, but some of the little ones are picking it up, too.

• Like 2

To be fair, older sister is pushing Izzy to improve her art just by being around and doing awesome art. So there's that.

The remainder of her influence, though, is talking back to everybody, whining, way too much screen time, and being a slob... sigh. :)

• Like 1

That's my plan. I'll only have to teach John and by the time he graduates the rest will be self teaching. Easy peasy japaneasy.

Maybe it's because I'm loud...

Profile picture please.

I just wanted to note that I've been able to eat pretty much whatever I've wanted for a few days without consequence. I have gone a little heavy on the carbs due to upset tumminess, but I've been eating fruits and veggies every day.

• Like 6

Our family isn't really large but in my experience, my youngest learns mostly bad habits and bad manners from her older sister, even though her older sister is a tremendous help with her. :-) The rest she gets from us. :p

Yep.  This happens here, too.  Dd5 has 5 older siblings and she picks up stuff from everyone.  She's tiny, but she has a big attitude.

She loves to talk and talk and talk.  And she's never wrong.

If she asks a question, she'll wait for the answer and then say, "I thought so, but I wasn't sure."

If you tell someone something, she'll say, "I was going to say that!"

We've joked about putting her head-to-head with Donald Trump.  I'm not sure who would win...

edited to fix a typo

• Like 3

That's my plan. I'll only have to teach John and by the time he graduates the rest will be self teaching. Easy peasy japaneasy.

Profile picture please.

I just wanted to note that I've been able to eat pretty much whatever I've wanted for a few days without consequence. I have gone a little heavy on the carbs due to upset tumminess, but I've been eating fruits and veggies every day.

:hurray:

Yep Izzy is 6 and loves to hear her own voice, is incredibly particular, and will argue a point until you're forced to punish her in an effort to teach her to stop escalating everything to absurdity. I mean, she's 6, but my oldest was never this way as an only child. Not even close.

Love the confidence of "I thought so", LOL.

In her defense, sure I'm biased, but she's incredibly bright. Just way too stubborn. And the pickiness about food that we used to attribute to her autism diagnosis (which was bogus) turns out to just be plain old bloody mindedness. Ahh. :)

• Like 1

Profile picture please.

I'm working on it!  No picture of me, though.  I'm not very photogenic.  Plus, I kind of like being anonymous on the web.

Yep Izzy is 6 and loves to hear her own voice, is incredibly particular, and will argue a point until you're forced to punish her in an effort to teach her to stop escalating everything to absurdity. I mean, she's 6, but my oldest was never this way as an only child. Not even close.

Love the confidence of "I thought so", LOL.

In her defense, sure I'm biased, but she's incredibly bright. Just way too stubborn. And the pickiness about food that we used to attribute to her autism diagnosis (which was bogus) turns out to just be plain old bloody mindedness. Ahh. :)

Actually, it is really funny to hear her say it because she has speech difficulties.

So, it sounds more like, "I yought so..."

The dc are trying to decide if she should be a politician or a lawyer.

• Like 1

Yep.  This happens here, too.  Dd5 has 5 older siblings and she picks up stuff from everyone.  She's tiny, but she has a big attitude.

She loves to talk and talk and talk.  And she's never wrong.

If she asks a question, she'll wait for the answer and then say, "I though so, but I wasn't sure."

If you tell someone something, she'll say, "I was going to say that!"

We've joked about putting her head-to-head with Donald Trump.  I'm not sure who would win...

Ds never would have admitted that he wasn't sure.  I listened to him once telling his much older cousin the names of all the planes they saw in the sky.  "That's an A- 47.  And that one over there is a 365."  The cousin turned to me in awe and said "Wow.  He knows all those planes?"  I almost hated telling him that ds had made it all up.  Ds was 4.  

• Like 3

Actually, it is really funny to hear her say it because she has speech difficulties.

So, it sounds more like, "I yought so..."

The dc are trying to decide if she should be a politician or a lawyer.

Yours and mine need to have a debate with their indefatigable self-confidence and speech impediments.

"I thought so," lol!

• Like 1

What is this? Are you the freakin' boss of this story or not? Now you whip that character into shape or so help me, we'll go all elephant ninja on him and then you'll be in a real mess! Probably have to completely change genre.

Hmmmm... this has me thinking.  Putting Stranger Than Fiction on the library queue.  

• Like 1