• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Are ya'll out of church yet? I need butternut squash recipes. I've never cooked it before and I have one.

I just cut it down the middle, scoop out the seeds, place it cut-sides-down in a baking dish with a little water (just enough to cover the bottom of the dish), and roast it a while (maybe an hour and a half at 300F).

You can serve it with butter/spices/however you like. I use the leftovers with chicken broth to make butternut squash soup.

• Like 3

Inspired by Ellie's hula last night, I looked up more about Blaine Kamalani Kai, and took away this from the end of an acceptance speech (no docking for spelling, as I don't know how):

"Aloha a ku lo, aloha ma'i no. When love is given, love is received. For knowledge is gained by doing, and by doing so, leads to greatness."

I'm going to teach my girls and prek'ers the Hawaiian phrase and first sentence in English. Because like.

• Like 2

I have no idea. I just know she said it would take 4 hours. I have to call some other number the day before to confirm the appointment, so I can ask then. I also need to ask if I need to take my meds at the regular time. I'm supposed to eat a light breakfast, but not supposed to ingest anything an hour prior to the test. No caffeine, including chocolate or anything containing chocolate 24 hours prior to the test, and I'm to bring a snack.

the no caffeine thing is because those are stimulants and can act like adrenalin on your heart.  

I forgot one more kind of stress test for people who cannot run or might have a heart attack if they run - they inject adrenaline to get the  heart pumping and measure that.  I haven't had that  one either but I think you might feel a bit sick after that since I feel sick after having too much natural adrenalin.  

• Like 1

Random thoughts, the sleep report, and an easy crockpot recipe:

I like butternut squash casserole.  It is sweet.  I cook it like whitehawk.

Easy Crockpot soup recipe:  .

8 cups of chicken broth

2 cups of salsa

2 cans of cannelini beans, drained

4-5 chicken breasts

Cook on high until done, then shred the chicken.  (comma splice with understood you as the subject of both sentences)  Ladle into bowls and top with tortilla chips crushed up, avocado, cheese, tomato, etc.

So easy and tasty.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

We don't do candy.  We do chocolate though.  But chocolate is not candy.  

We don't do Halloween either and never have.  We hide in our house with the curtains drawn and the drawbridge up.  And we eat Papa Murphy's pizza and watch a movie.  Before dh's schedule got more family friendly it was the only time all year that he watched something with us.  

• Like 3

Actually, I love butternut squash as long as someone else has risked severing a finger to cut the stupid thing. I refuse to buy them any more (though I did come across cubed butternut squash in the grocery store once.)

I didn't buy it. I get (mostly) organic (mostly local) food boxes each week, and the squash was a bonus item I didn't have to pay for (note dangling preposition).

• Like 5

Random thoughts, the sleep report, and an easy crockpot recipe:

I like butternut squash casserole.  It is sweet.  I cook it like whitehawk.

I cleaned up little dd's room with her today and have a lot of stuff for the Goodwill.  She is more cooperative suddenly about getting rid of things.

Sleep report:  Took my trazodone and melatonin and slept until the sun woke me up at 6:30 or somesuch ungodly hour.  Note to self:  Get room darkening curtains.  

Went to church with kids # 2 and 4 because dh grossly underestimated the time needed to clear out all of his junk so the man could lay the wood floors.  (Like he gave it 30 minutes when it needed 30 days.)

Easy Crockpot soup recipe:  (We call it "Amy B...... soup" after the lady who introduced us to it.

8 cups of chicken broth

2 cups of salsa

2 cans of cannelini beans, drained

4-5 chicken breasts

Cook on high until done, then shred the chicken.  (comma splice with understood you as the subject of both sentences)  Ladle into bowls and top with tortilla chips crushed up, avocado, cheese, tomato, etc.

So easy and tasty.

Great recipe (I actually have a few Amy B recipes saved), but I need something with butternut squash in it. Will that caldo taste good with butternut squash?

I didn't buy it. I get (mostly) organic (mostly local) food boxes each week, and the squash was a bonus item I didn't have to pay for (note dangling preposition).

for which I did not pay.  FTFU.  YW.

I want a mostly organic mostly local weekly food box.  I do Bountiful Baskets organic sometimes.  I like them a lot.

• Like 2

We don't do candy.  We do chocolate though.  But chocolate is not candy.  

We don't do Halloween either and never have.  We hide in our house with the curtains drawn and the drawbridge up.  And we eat Papa Murphy's pizza and watch a movie.  Before dh's schedule got more family friendly it was the only time all year that he watched something with us.  

This used to be our yearly tradition. But , then we discovered church festivals and those were fun. 

• Like 3

for which I did not pay.  FTFU.  YW.

I want a mostly organic mostly local weekly food box.  I do Bountiful Baskets organic sometimes.  I like them a lot.

Really, now?

Cook on high until done; then shred the chicken.  (comma splice with understood you as the subject of both sentences).  Ladle into bowls and top with tortilla chips crushed up, avocado, cheese, tomato, etc.

So easy and tasty.

And missing period. FTFU. YW.

• Like 3

I love that you love them. But what's the recipe to go along with that love?

I like to cook rice with it.  I just throw cubes of butternut squash in the rice cooker with the rice.

You can do the same with pasta.  Throw the squash into the boiling water about 5 or 10 minutes before adding the pasta.  

I do very easy stuff and do not add any sugars.  Then I add veggies and meat to whatever I made.  

• Like 1

I like to cook rice with it.  I just throw cubes of butternut squash in the rice cooker with the rice.

You can do the same with pasta.  Throw the squash into the boiling water about 5 or 10 minutes before adding the pasta.  

I do very easy stuff and do not add any sugars.  Then I add veggies and meat to whatever I made.  

Jean is an easy cook.  I don't know why this makes me laugh so much. :lol:

• Like 5

Actually, I love butternut squash as long as someone else has risked severing a finger to cut the stupid thing. I refuse to buy them any more (though I did come across cubed butternut squash in the grocery store once.)

Will it work to just slam it on a hard surface to break it? I'm not hip on severing any digits.

I like easy. Because easy.

Slice it sorta thin. Slice a bunch of apples. Layer squash and apples, sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt and top with butter and brown sugar. Bake for a long time until everything is squishy.

You have a name for this dish? (like, dessert or something like that?)

Because my goal is cubed butternut squash, I cut it a bit differently.  I cut it in inch-thick disks.  It doesn't roll that much that way.  (Cutting longways is scarier to me personally)  Then I put the disks cutside down (and one cutside up) and use a paring knife to peel off the skin.  Then I cut the disks into cubes, trying always to put a flat piece down to reduce rolling.  

• Like 2

Good grief no!  Take a large knife and cut the darn thing in half.  Or stick it in the oven whole  It will cook but will take longer.  I cook pie pumpkins whole.

Don't get excited; it was just a question. I have been known to open food by slamming, though.  :leaving: