• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Ooooooh.  The penny drops.  You're sending me your kids!  Well, I have lots of yardwork for all the kids to do. . . .    

Fine by me!

They have a very short attention span for yardwork, I'll warn ya.  Now, creating an archaeological dig in the yard without mama's knowledge? THAT they can focus on for hours.  

• Like 5

I'm to bring salad (I buy bagged for group gatherings) and veggies for snacking.  There are already lots of different salad dressings available, so people who want to dip can, and those who don't want to can eat naked veggies.

DH grills corn on the cob -- still in the husks.  I have found that it's easier to get more of the corn silk off the cob when the corn is hot and cooked; I think it's because the kernels loosen up a little so the silk slides out more easily.  I hold the cob with a clean hot pad in one hand and pull back the husks, being sure to grab the tassel of corn silk at the top with each pull.

Lots of fresh fruit also works great, and berries and fresh whipped cream.

I also like to grill corn in the husks. I like to soak them in water first as it gets this steaming thing going on in the grill and the corn comes out great!

• Like 2

The other girl's parents said "no" to this time so no sleepover.  I bet they had fourth of July plans and wanted her to be there too.

As to the thing about tidying up - both this house and my health are too far gone for that to happen.  Anyone who visits here gets to see how we "really live".  

This is why I don't have visitors, or we visit outside.

• Like 3

Dh decided to defrost ribs by putting them on the driveway for four hours in the 100 degree heat.  He did not ask my opinion, nor did I know this was occurring.  They are now in the trash.  I don't even know what to say about this.

He probably figured that they would either cook on the driveway, or the heat of the grill would kill any bacteria. I think that way sometimes. Then, common sense takes over.

• Like 2

We did have the infamous beef ribs incident when Rocky grabbed the very big and expensive rack of ribs right off the grill.  I entertained my kids and the neighbors by chasing him around the yard, grabbing them back, hacking off the end he had bitten and putting them back on the grill.  Then I guarded the grill zealously until they were done.  (I think I posted about that before but since it's always a good story I'll tell it again anyway.)

• Like 7

Dh decided to defrost ribs by putting them on the driveway for four hours in the 100 degree heat.  He did not ask my opinion, nor did I know this was occurring.  They are now in the trash.  I don't even know what to say about this.

:eek: Only perhaps with some other choice words as an epilogue. 

Then the words "pizza anyone?" come to mind.

• Like 3

Uninvited house guests?  

Well, it's not quite that bad. We found out they were coming two days before we were scheduled to leave. They are sleeping in an RV in the driveway, but using the bathroom inside.  And I should be feeding them. Last night, we went out. DH was given no other option. Especially since there was no food in the house.

So:  I have laundry up to the eyeballs, work due on Monday, and I'm trying to be a good hostess.

:willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

But I repeat myself.

Maybe we should meet in Seattle, Jean.  I bet there's some really good chocolate to be had there!

I lack words for the rib defrosting on the driveway incident of 2015.

WHO DOES THIS???

Umm, apparently the man you loved enough to join your life and make small humans with.  So try not to kill him. But, if you really can't restrain yourself, remember that I do own a tractor.

• Like 7

Well, it's not quite that bad. We found out they were coming two days before we were scheduled to leave. They are sleeping in an RV in the driveway, but using the bathroom inside.  And I should be feeding them. Last night, we went out. DH was given no other option. Especially since there was no food in the house.

So:  I have laundry up to the eyeballs, work due on Monday, and I'm trying to be a good hostess.

:willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

But I repeat myself.

Maybe we should meet in Seattle, Jean.  I bet there's some really good chocolate to be had there!

Come on over.  We can stuff ourselves silly with good chocolate while watching all the ITT kids that have been sent my way to suffer through my benign neglect.  

• Like 7

Come on over.  We can stuff ourselves silly with good chocolate while watching all the ITT kids that have been sent my way to suffer through my benign neglect.  

That is an oxymoron. If the two of you are watching the ITT kids, they are not being benignly neglected.

• Like 4

I watch but I don't intervene.  That's what makes it both benign and neglect.  

You are an educator. We do not call this neglect. This is called being observant. It is a type of informal assessment. (guess who is doing homework right now?)

ETA: You are also observing meaning as it is being constructed by the children. Now, doesn't that sound a lot better than benign neglect?

• Like 5

You are an educator. We do not call this neglect. This is called being observant. It is a type of informal assessment. (guess who is doing homework right now?)

ETA: You are also observing meaning as it is being constructed by the children. Now, doesn't that sound a lot better than benign neglect?

:001_wub:

You can come over to my place and justify me anytime, Renai!

• Like 3

:001_wub:

You can come over to my place and justify me anytime, Renai!

Remember, I've also offered to slap standards on your lessons - planned or otherwise. :D I'm good at that. I did it all the time in my prek classes. I'd make a plan based on what the kids needed/wanted, then added standards to justify what I was doing. Worked like a charm.

• Like 3

The man is in deep caca, is what I say. Sorry about the ribs. I hope he takes you out for ice cream or something good soon.  

• Like 2

Charlotte Mason called it "masterful inactivity".  I  :001_wub: Charlotte Mason.  

• Like 3

So my children have been gone for approx 4.5 hours.  They are gone for the next 2 weeks! woo hoo.  I had planned to use the time wisely, and tackle some huge projects I have going on here (like completely empty my hoarder nightmare bedroom that I use only for storage-since I do not own a bed) and repaint it and then move the girls things into it, so I can repaint their room and change the flooring, so I can move the boys things into that one, so I can do the floors and repaint their room so I can finally buy a bed at the end of th emonth and make it my room.  

Instead I have spent the last 4.5 hours randomly surfing the web, and hanging on fb while eating cherries.  Perhaps this is a new definition of using my time without children productively.

• Like 7

So my children have been gone for approx 4.5 hours. They are gone for the next 2 weeks! woo hoo. I had planned to use the time wisely, and tackle some huge projects I have going on here (like completely empty my hoarder nightmare bedroom that I use only for storage-since I do not own a bed) and repaint it and then move the girls things into it, so I can repaint their room and change the flooring, so I can move the boys things into that one, so I can do the floors and repaint their room so I can finally buy a bed at the end of th emonth and make it my room.

Instead I have spent the last 4.5 hours randomly surfing the web, and hanging on fb while eating cherries. Perhaps this is a new definition of using my time without children productively.

You need some down time. Tackle it tomorrow.
  • Like 5

You need some down time. Tackle it tomorrow.

:iagree:   Or in a few days.  Perhaps take a good look at that amitious "to do" list and prioritize one thing you REALLY want to get done. Two weeks is a very short time to redecorate an entire house. ;)  You do want your children to return to a mommy who isn't laid up in bed from exhaustion, right?   Besides, I'm coming to visit and I'm not going to help with the painting or flooring - I have that on MY "to do" list.  :lol:

• Like 4

Fireworks were cancelled due to rain, so for lack of better action we drove dd6 through a torrential rain storm to the emergency room to get stitches on her head.

It was my fault. I asked her to put the rain jar up that the stupid squirrels had knocked down (again) and she slipped on the wet deck and hit her head on the metal sliding door frame.

Now she will have a scar on each side of her forehead, which she is very excited about. (She has this idea that you get to make wishes on scars. And also that everyone has at least one scar because of bellybuttons. Wishes for everyone!)

I'm spent.

• Like 6

:iagree:   Or in a few days.  Perhaps take a good look at that amitious "to do" list and prioritize one thing you REALLY want to get done. Two weeks is a very short time to redecorate an entire house. ;)  You do want your children to return to a mommy who isn't laid up in bed from exhaustion, right?   Besides, I'm coming to visit and I'm not going to help with the painting or flooring - I have that on MY "to do" list.  :lol:

Haha, I am giving myself the whole month to redecorate 3 bdrms lol  and build the fence, oh and did I mention I am still working full time lol  The problem is, if I do not get everything done by the end of august it will have to wait a full year before I have time again.  It desperately needs it done.  I am about 1/3 of the way done emptying my room.  Turns out it is a good thing I am tackling it.  I knew I had ants in the livingroom and bathroom, but they are in there too (likely because dd15 uses it to sit on her laptop and has left food and dishes in there.  So It will be completely emptied and scrubbed ready to actually redecorate by bed time tomorrow with ant baits in there.  My tentative plan is to patch and areas that need it Monday nigh after work, sand/prime those things and tape off rest of room Tuesday night, and then actually paint Wednesday night.  Touch ups and recleaning Thursday.  Friday haul the bifold closet doors outside and spray paint them.  Then Next weekend empty their room into this one.  Their new beds won't be purchased until after the 20th, but the rest can be hauled in there.  The other roos will take more effort, they need the floors replaced and have a lot more wall damage to them.  So I think the girls old room will probably take a full 2 weeks on its own, where as my old one will take the week. But not bad.  If things stay on plan all 4 kids will have new rooms/beds in 3 weeks time and I can be working on creating an actual bedroom for me.  I have slept on cushions on the livingroom floor for over 2 years now as I saved for a bed.  I finally have enough and will be in a real bed in a bedroom by mid august at the very latest, though I would prefer sooner obviously.

• Like 8

:smilielol5:

My sister tried to quickly defrost a frozen turkey (her first) with a blow dryer.   She blew a fuse instead, and we spent the rest of Thanksgiving in the dark with no turkey waiting for her landlord to arrive.  

• Like 6

We did have the infamous beef ribs incident when Rocky grabbed the very big and expensive rack of ribs right off the grill.  I entertained my kids and the neighbors by chasing him around the yard, grabbing them back, hacking off the end he had bitten and putting them back on the grill.  Then I guarded the grill zealously until they were done.  (I think I posted about that before but since it's always a good story I'll tell it again anyway.)

Oh, I love it!!  Great story.  Worth retelling!  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:   

And it reminds me......

Back in the day when Dh and I were still both teaching, I promised a coffee cake to the students in my small 8am section, in celebration of the last day of the semester. Dh had taken one of my coffee cakes to a faculty meeting just the night before, and had returned with three-quarters of it still left, so I decided to forego making a new one and just bring along the leftovers from his bash (it would still be plenty).  

Now, it was December in New England, and it had stormed the day before, so as I walked across campus that morning the air was crisp and the world was encased in ice -- every limb, branch, and leaf.  Beautiful.  

Until I entered the building I taught in. The short stairwell headed down to the lower level was wet.  My boots were slippery.  Up went the coffee cake, down went me.  

Now, the cake landed upside down, on a very clean (clearly just mopped) section of vinyl flooring.  And most of the cake slices (at least half, reallly) were still inside the plastic wrap I'd covered the dish with.  And no one had seen any of this happen.  And I'd promised these starving students some breakfast, and by golly it was also teacher evaluation day, so I did what any self-respecting professional would do... I invoked the 5-second rule.  Scooping up the slices of coffee cake as fast as I could, I rearranged them on the plate, and served them up to 10 delightfully ravenous students (who incidentally also cheerfully gave the cake and their professor rave reviews that day.)

End of story.  But not really, because you see, when I returned home that night and told dh all about it, he absolutely collapsed in laughter.  Tears were streaming.  When he finally calmed down enough to talk, he then shared with me that he had dropped the very same coffee cake upside-down in a snow bank the night before, when he had slipped on a sidewalk on the way to his faculty meeting.  No one had seen him, and the snow was fresh-fallen clean, so he'd invoked the 5-second rule and plunked it down on the dessert table with all the other dishes anyway.  

And that, dear ITT friends, is the story of my Twice-Dropped Coffee Cake.  I'm happy to share the recipe with anyone who wants it.  

• Like 13

If you collect data, it is a research project, publishable by many professional journals.

• Like 4

:smilielol5:

My sister tried to quickly defrost a frozen turkey (her first) with a blow dryer.   She blew a fuse instead, and we spent the rest of Thanksgiving in the dark with no turkey waiting for her landlord to arrive.  

People like your sister and my dh should never marry each other.

ETA:  Booyah, etc.

• Like 6

I've enjoyed reading the food catastrophe stories. I'm fully expecting to be able to add one soon, as my black lab seems to be coming dangerously close to licking a very hot bbq. I'm not sure if his tongue will stick to it, or the drool will save the day for him.  :laugh:

• Like 3

Years ago when we had dogs in the house (until our first born was 4 months old and I said "No more dogs inside") one of our black labs discovered his affinity for raw biscuit dough.  The first time my Mom (who had come to stay with us for a week when ds was born) had left the tray close to the edge of the kitchen counter.  The next night when she made them she pushed the tray back against the wall.  It didn't matter.  He had paws up to the counter and was stretching his neck and head across the counter to reach the tray.  The next night she put them on top of the refridgerator and that settled the matter. 

• Like 4