• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Sorry to hear that. Losing an animal is always hard. We've adopted a bird whose mom never came back to the nest (we believe she got killed), and s/he passed after surviving the night. We've lost a couple of dogs (really, really), and a few fish. We will really break down when our older cat passes (hopefully not anytime soon).

It tore me up when the guinea pig died.  Yes, I needed Grandpa to babysit so I could go deal with it.  We all had a funeral for her in the back yard afterwards.  The cat missed her as much as the rest of us.

We are the people who started a second fish tank for the sake of one guppy who needed to be separated from the other fish (he kept attacking them, eating their fins) instead of flushing him.  The bigger tank is gone now and all we have is that smaller tank, with one lone cory cat left in it.  Instead of shutting down the tank we will likely get a few more fish so Cory has some friends.

Just chalk us up as one more family of crazy pet people. 

• Like 1

Booya's getting old. I need a new thang. It used to be degugidagas, but I'll never make the top of the page with something that long.

Cut and paste, sweetie!  Keep it up in a word document all of the time and cut and paste when needed.  Or just paste in a zombie icon!

• Like 2

Cut and paste, sweetie!  Keep it up in a word document all of the time and cut and paste when needed.  Or just paste in a zombie icon!

Still too slow. Have a reply tab open with the word already typed in. When you see it is time, just hit Reply, and you're there!

• Like 2

I don't suppose you want to try supercallifragilisticexpialidocious?

Not really.

Still too slow. Have a reply tab open with the word already typed in. When you see it is time, just hit Reply, and you're there!

Cheater! You're disqualified.

• Like 3

Here's a handy tip:  Don't take a non-drowsy decongestant at night.  Wait until morning.  Or really just anytime you want your brain to run 100 miles per hour for an extended length of time. 

Ugh.   :grouphug:

Stomach bug making the rounds here.  I've just decided that morning is not allowed to come unless I've had at least 7 consecutive hours of sleep.  At the going rate, morning doesn't break until sometime this coming Monday afternoon.  

• Like 3

Stomach bug making the rounds here.  I've just decided that morning is not allowed to come unless I've had at least 7 consecutive hours of sleep.  At the going rate, morning doesn't break until sometime this coming Monday afternoon.  

:grouphug:   Oh, man.  That's rough!  Hope you're all better soon!

• Like 3

You've had quite an... interesting couple of months. Is your life always this easy?

You've had quite an... interesting couple of months. Is your life always this easy?

Nope.  Only this easy when I'm also trying to teach.   :001_rolleyes:

This I will say: The craziness of the last 14 months (pregnancy, whooping cough, mono, home damage and repairs, death in the family) has taught me that slow and steady really does win.  We have not accomplished anywhere near what I had planned, but by sticking daily with whatever basics we could fit in, I now have three readers (including one with learning challenges), all of whom have mastered an enormous amount of memory work, all of whom love history (even though we will be in ancients for yet another year), and one of whom recently explained in detail to a friend why there are seasons (even though i can't remember the last time we squeezed in science.)

And ds7 can tie his shoes, swim in the deep end, ride a bike without training wheels, and whistle. (Still working on snapping his fingers, though.)

So something's working in spite of it all.  Homeschooling is just so cool.  

• Like 6

This I will say: The craziness of the last 14 months (pregnancy, whooping cough, mono, home damage and repairs, death in the family) has taught me that slow and steady really does win.  We have not accomplished anywhere near what I had planned, but by sticking daily with whatever basics we could fit in, I now have three readers (including one with learning challenges), all of whom have mastered an enormous amount of memory work, all of whom love history (even though we will be in ancients for yet another year), and one of whom recently explained in detail to a friend why there are seasons (even though i can't remember the last time we squeezed in science.)

And ds7 can tie his shoes, swim in the deep end, ride a bike without training wheels, and whistle. (Still working on snapping his fingers, though.)

You're doing awesome, mama.  :)

• Like 5

Life.  That which does not kill us makes us stronger, right?

You're doing awesome, mama.   :)

Well said.

I don't drink often but sometimes it does help.

Exactly.  I think I've said this before, but I never drank before I had DD.  I haven't stopped since.

• Like 2

DENTAL ISSUE ALERT. SKIP THE FIRST SENTENCE. JOJOSMOM.

=============================================================

Is it safe? Ok. I got a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday. It was still halfway under the gums, but came out easy. I got stitches. And Tylenol. I don't know how I'm going to eat with two missing teeth on that side.

JOJOSMOM MAY CONTINUE READING HERE.

And took a two hour nap after going to the bank, Home Depot for soil and compost for my raised garden, dumping said soil and compost into the garden, and mixing it all in. We also replanted seeds in the starting pots since the 4yo knocked the other ones over. I finally had enough, and called it a day. I laid down around 2 and woke up at 4. I think I should do that more often.

• Like 5

DENTAL ISSUE ALERT. SKIP THE FIRST SENTENCE. JOJOSMOM.

Is it safe? Ok. I got a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday. It was still halfway under the gums, but came out easy. I got stitches. And Tylenol. I don't know how I'm going to eat with two missing teeth on that side.

JOJOSMOM MAY CONTINUE READING HERE.

And took a two hour nap after going to the bank, Home Depot for soil and compost for my raised garden, dumping said soil and compost into the garden, and mixing it all in. We also replanted seeds in the starting pots since the 4yo knocked the other ones over. I finally had enough, and called it a day. I laid down around 2 and woke up at 4. I think I should do that more often.

Dirt is sooooo therapeutic.  And sunshine.  Sounds like a perfect day!

• Like 2

Renai, I'm so envious that you get to play in the garden.  I'm holding off for a while.  We're still freeze-prone right now.

And if you don't want to drink, let me know.  I'll have a glass of wine for you tonight. It's the last night that DH will be away, so I'm making a special dinner for DD celebrating our last night "just us girls."  She requested stuffed Cornish hens and I have a crisp, yummy white wine that should do nicely.  I really think you'll like it! ;)

• Like 3

Renai, I'm so envious that you get to play in the garden.  I'm holding off for a while.  We're still freeze-prone right now.

And if you don't want to drink, let me know.  I'll have a glass of wine for you tonight. It's the last night that DH will be away, so I'm making a special dinner for DD celebrating our last night "just us girls."  She requested stuffed Cornish hens and I have a crisp, yummy white wine that should do nicely.  I really think you'll like it! ;)

Don't be envious. We got snow last week. It's really windy as I type. Our plants are inside as our last frost is around May 15. Dh had planted flower seeds with 4yo a couple of weeks ago although I had warned him not to. Then most of the plants froze one night, then a few nights later was the snow. He now brings that big pot indoors every night. Smart man!

I haven't had Cornish hen in a long time. I had it once, because there was this great recipe I wanted to try. It was soooo good. Then I lost the recipe and wouldn't recognize it if I saw it. It had a lot of herbs on it.

• Like 2

My lilac is blooming.

Unfortunately we have hail atm so it's getting kind of beat up.

Awww.

Most of the apricot trees around here got tricked by warm weather for the 5th year in a row. They started blooming, and some amazingly started growing little apricots. Then it snowed, and they died. Again. For the 5th year in a row. Why don't these apricot trees learn???

• Like 2

Most of the apricot trees around here got tricked by warm weather for the 5th year in a row. They started blooming, and some amazingly started growing little apricots. Then it snowed, and they died. Again. For the 5th year in a row. Why don't these apricot trees learn???

It is the same with children and husbands.

• Like 5