Menu

Ignore this thread!

My daughter is so strange. She has this bizarre sense of... maturity? She's always been like this but I have 2 examples from this weekend:

1. We put our cat down on Sunday. We had to explain it to John several times and answer many questions. Mary just said OK and that was it. When we left she said goodbye to the dog but not the cat, and asks to feed the dog, but not the cat. She's even responded to John's "Where's Paul?" with "He's gone." She's two, by the way.

2. You know that toy that your kid's obsessed with? Well hers are the Anna and Elsa Itty Bitties from Hallmark. She left them at church today which is 45 minutes away. She remembered them halfway home and when we said we weren't turning around she said OK. Any night we dare attempt to put her down without them she howls like a banshee. Tonight? Nothing. She didn't even mention them.

Is this normal?

• Like 2

My daughter is so strange. She has this bizarre sense of... maturity? She's always been like this but I have 2 examples from this weekend:

1. We put our cat down on Sunday. We had to explain it to John several times and answer many questions. Mary just said OK and that was it. When we left she said goodbye to the dog but not the cat, and asks to feed the dog, but not the cat. She's even responded to John's "Where's Paul?" with "He's gone." She's two, by the way.

2. You know that toy that your kid's obsessed with? Well hers are the Anna and Elsa Itty Bitties from Hallmark. She left them at church today which is 45 minutes away. She remembered them halfway home and when we said we weren't turning around she said OK. Any night we dare attempt to put her down without them she howls like a banshee. Tonight? Nothing. She didn't even mention them.

Is this normal?

1.  She is not at the developmental stage at which she is upset about the cat.  Neither of the kids are at the stage at which death is final.  They are both concrete, and death is abstract.  That doesn't happen emotionally and cognitively until 9-10ish.  Kids this age may believe that a dead pet might come back someday.  That is normal.  We lost a hamster when my older son was 5.  He said a prayer that the hamster would not die again at the funeral of the hamster.

2.  That is not typical, in my experience.  Kids think you can or should be able to miracle lost things back.  They have attachments to them.  They don't understand why they are not there and will often, at this age, perseverate about the lost item.  So it unusual, in my experience, for a kid to just accept that these items are gone but you might get them back at a later date.

Nan is here, folks.  It went okay.  My brain is mush, though.  We had the hospice nurse here until 9 pm, a lady from the overnight care agency come at 8:30, and a delivery of care pack meds at 10 pm.  I told hospice we will accept all help so please send some chaplains, social workers, nurses aides, etc.  We need them all!  We will get a CNA five times a week to shower her.  I need the social worker to help me get a handicap placard for the car, not that I am in a rush to take her a bunch of places because she is hard and slow to transfer, but it would be nice to have.  She cried last night because "mama and papa are gone".  They have been gone for 70 and 60 years.  Alzheimers just wipes away most of your life and leaves you with the first 20 years.

• Like 6

1.  She is not at the developmental stage at which she is upset about the cat.  Neither of the kids are at the stage at which death is final.  They are both concrete, and death is abstract.  That doesn't happen emotionally and cognitively until 9-10ish.  Kids this age may believe that a dead pet might come back someday.  That is normal.  We lost a hamster when my older son was 5.  He said a prayer that the hamster would not die again at the funeral of the hamster.

2.  That is not typical, in my experience.  Kids think you can or should be able to miracle lost things back.  They have attachments to them.  They don't understand why they are not there and will often, at this age, perseverate about the lost item.  So it unusual, in my experience, for a kid to just accept that these items are gone but you might get them back at a later date.

Nan is here, folks.  It went okay.  My brain is mush, though.  We had the hospice nurse here until 9 pm, a lady from the overnight care agency come at 8:30, and a delivery of care pack meds at 10 pm.  I told hospice we will accept all help so please send some chaplains, social workers, nurses aides, etc.  We need them all!  We will get a CNA five times a week to shower her.  I need the social worker to help me get a handicap placard for the car, not that I am in a rush to take her a bunch of places because she is hard and slow to transfer, but it would be nice to have.  She cried last night because "mama and papa are gone".  They have been gone for 70 and 60 years.  Alzheimers just wipes away most of your life and leaves you with the first 20 years.

Hugs to you as you all adjust to your new crazy routine, and all the emotions with it.   :grouphug:  Growing old is not for the faint of heart.  

• Like 2

What on earth have you been talking about over here for *51* pages! ? ! How is this thread still hot? ! (I suppose I could go read the thread! )

Infinity points for you if you read every last post.  

But you have to prove it.  

And you SHOULD read every last post, btw.  Everyone should.  Your dc's classical education will suffer embarrassing gaps if you don't. 

ETA:  SWB was even here.  The Grand Poobah herself.  

• Like 7

dd's finals are over. I can breathe again. Wait no, I can't. Now she's waiting for results. And she weeps intermittently because she's pretty sure she failed something.

I'm beginning to re-focus my laser eyes on ds who's been sort of coasting in the background the last 4 weeks. His life is about to get interesting as he has a PILE of work to finish by June 30.

I also have to get him clothes. I sent him off yesterday to a tour of the particle accelarator at UBC & he wanted to wear his Flash Gordon t-shirt but alas, on him it's a tummy shirt now. When you're 6'4" many things are tummy shirts....

• Like 4

Is this normal?

Well it's her normal :)

"Standard," "typical," "normal," "average."  They only apply generally and to groups.  All those averages and norms and what-have-you can completely fall apart when applied to individuals.  We human beings are pretty amazing creations, I think.

Your DD sounds like an interesting little person, Slash.  :001_smile:

• Like 2

Infinity points for you if you read every last post.  

But you have to prove it.  

And you SHOULD read every last post, btw.  Everyone should.  Your dc's classical education will suffer embarrassing gaps if you don't. 

ETA:  SWB was even here.  The Grand Poobah herself.  

You are SUCH a brilliant duck.  Probably from reading and participating in this thread. :hurray:

• Like 2

"Standard," "typical," "normal," "average."  They only apply generally and to groups.  All those averages and norms and what-have-you can completely fall apart when applied to individuals.  We human beings are pretty amazing creations, I think.

Your DD sounds like an interesting little person, Slash.  :001_smile:

She is. She's very artistic and she thinks a lot. She'll never tell you what she's thinking about but you can see her face change while she's just sitting there doing nothing. She likes classical music over anything else, prefers showers to baths and doesn't like animals. If John says "I love [friend]" she says "I like [friend] a lot" because she's so reserved. As long she's happy and not a serial killer I'm good, but I don't know anyone else like her.

• Like 4

She is. She's very artistic and she thinks a lot. She'll never tell you what she's thinking about but you can see her face change while she's just sitting there doing nothing. She likes classical music over anything else, prefers showers to baths and doesn't like animals. If John says "I love [friend]" she says "I like [friend] a lot" because she's so reserved. As long she's happy and not a serial killer I'm good, but I don't know anyone else like her.

What a fun kid!  (and funny, too)

I have one who was like this...and still is.  He's a hoot and so much fun to parent.

• Like 2

Lots more hugs, Texasmama!  For all of you there, including the help coming in.

But most especially for you.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

1.  She is not at the developmental stage at which she is upset about the cat.  Neither of the kids are at the stage at which death is final.  They are both concrete, and death is abstract.  That doesn't happen emotionally and cognitively until 9-10ish.  

I have read about this, however all of my kids appeared to understand death as final from a much younger age, maybe 3-ish.  Also, it didn't seem to match with their other development, as the gifted one was actually the last one to get it (at 4 or 5 she still believed that a buried animal would be having an interesting life underground!). Unless they have these 'developmentally normal' beliefs subconsciously? Or have them but don't express it because they have figured out that we think differently.

I have read about this, however all of my kids appeared to understand death as final from a much younger age, maybe 3-ish.  Also, it didn't seem to match with their other development, as the gifted one was actually the last one to get it (at 4 or 5 she still believed that a buried animal would be having an interesting life underground!). Unless they have these 'developmentally normal' beliefs subconsciously? Or have them but don't express it because they have figured out that we think differently.

There are some kids who are asynchronous in development, for sure.  I would hold that a three year old does not truly understand the abstract concept like death in the same way that we as adults do.  It is hard to evaluate exactly what kids understand, though, because sometimes they just lack the language to express their thoughts.  I do know that traumatic memories are laid down differently in the brain and that these are often retained in a way that non traumatic memories are not, even in very small children.  I went to a fascinating conference by Eliana Gil regarding this and still recall it over twenty years later.

What a fun kid!  (and funny, too)

I have one who was like this...and still is.  He's a hoot and so much fun to parent.

I think her personality is just so big that it shines through even if it doesn't resonate with being a toddler at times. If that makes sense. ;) Our pediatrician once told us that our kids were weird and we both just laughed.

I don't think she gets it, but she's OK. You really nailed it with "it's her normal".

• Like 1

I just took the "what animal are you?" quiz on google for earth day and apparently I'm a woolly mammoth. Yes google, I was aware I needed to cut back on the carbs. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm a honey bee through no fault of my own.  They asked what I do on a Friday evening -- I'm part of a pack now so I do pack things (the closest answer was herd following).  They didn't have my reaction to someone wearing the same outfit as me ("twins!"), and they didn't have what I really want in a guy (nice guy with lots of common sense -- closest thing was traditional values, but that's not quite us).  Therefore, their result in my case is completely bogus.

Everyone knows if I'm not the Elephant's Child then I am a dragon.  So there -- fix your survey, Google, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.  *need smoking dragon nose icon here*

• Like 3

Apparently, I am a pangolin. Whatever that is. :blink:

Now the cat declares I am a pin cushion, and she can only put her weight on her tiny paws (with claws sticking out) when resting on certain points of my leg.  I move her paws over 2 inches and she moves them right back to the same bruised spot.  She has now been sent back to the floor.

Pangolins are not as prickly as cats.

• Like 1

So on to the short tale I originally meant to post upon getting home:

The streets in our neighborhood tend to be rather dark (though not directly outside my house, darn it), with dark pavement, lots of trees, and no sidewalks.  Amazingly people who choose to hang out in the streets during dark hours tend to wear dark clothing -- go figure.  We passed a guy on our way home who was just standing on the side of the road -- not in a driveway or the grass, on the pavement.  Just standing there, talking on his cordless house phone.  This guy, at least, was partly visible -- he wore shorts, and his pale, white legs were what we saw.  I immediately recognized the image for what it was, too -- so many of those folk never seem to see the light of day, and their skin shines in the darkness.  We see a lot of legs appearing out of the darkness.

Pale skin, dark clothing, only out at night -- perhaps it's time I get more worried about the neighbors....

• Like 3

That's inappropriate.

*SPITTAKE*  :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

I'm sorry!  I was just trying to do the cheerleadery spell out Booyah thing!  I guess it would have been quite disturbing for me to ask for "another O!"!

• Like 1

I'm sorry!  I was just trying to do the cheerleadery spell out Booyah thing!  I guess it would have been quite disturbing for me to ask for "another O!"!

I might have to have my husband come in and deal with you. He's very protective.

• Like 2

DD10 overheard me explaining my guffaws to DH and has now asked why an O would be inappropriate. 

I have more health class to cover, but not yet.  Oh please, not yet!