Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW11

Robin M

You're amazing!  I am very behind on Ulysses - I should have tried to get ahead, but I didn't realize there'd be a wedding I'd be dealing with now!

Good luck with the move - I hope it all goes as smoothly and calmly as possible and you're all settled happily in your new space before you know it!

Thank you. I'm only one week ahead but I think that's all I'll need. Or if I end up a week behind that's okay too. There are only 2 episodes left. You can catch up after the wedding!

• Like 4

May I please have a link for the good reads ulysses guide/group/whatever? I am not on good reads but I know I can read what is there.

I want to try to tackle Ulysses at some point, but I would like to get an idea of what that looks like. 

I have googled etc but didn't get a hit.

I also have downloaded a podcast that is about reading Ulysses.....

Here's what I've been using:

Electronic copy of Ulysses from The Joyce Project. Turn on the Notes and some interesting and useful things become hyperlinked.

Online free audiobook. I listen to this while I read at the link above and it really helps me stay focused. It also really helps when the voices change because otherwise it's not always clear who's saying what or what is being said aloud vs. inner monologue.

Shmoop for Ulysses. Sometimes I read the summary of what's happening a few paragraphs ahead of the book because it's confusing otherwise. The summaries actually tell you what's happening and the analyses give some explanations and the tie-ins to The Odyssey. For a few chapters, I have literally had to read a few paragraphs of Shmoop and stopped at a direct quote, then read Ulysses and used that direct quote as a marker for where I am in the book compared to the summary. Sigh.

Goodreads group link for Ulysses. (Start with the Schedule thread and check the Resources thread. The other links are for each episode.) I don't come here until I've completely read the episode (while listening to the audiobook) because I don't like spoilers.

It's being read by the Classics and the Western Canon group and you can see all the past discussion of group reads here (scroll down) in case there are other books for which you'd like to read the discussion. Next will be a short interim read, as yet unannounced, followed by The Pilgrim's Progress and then Eliot's Four Quartets. Those groups have not yet formed but people have voted on them in the "what to read next" thread.

I have heard good things about a Ulysses podcast but don't know which one. People also like Professor Heffernan's Great Courses content on the book, but I'm not familiar with it.

ETA: The episodes vary wildly in difficulty and style. Tale a look at a few before deciding what the book is like. Proteus, Sirens, Oxen of the Sun, and Circe are somewhat notorious. Unfortunately Proteus is the third episode so a lot of people drop out there. It gets easier after that. My suggestion is to just keep going whether you understand something or not. Part of the style is to just have the reader dropped into the scene with very little explanation so you can spend a lot of time chasing some bit that actually has no meaning or background.

• Like 4

I want to try to tackle Ulysses at some point, but I would like to get an idea of what that looks like. 

In an attempt to procrastinate on packing even more, I present to you what it really looks like for me to read Ulysses:

The Average Reader’s Guide to Getting Through Ulysses

or

How I Learned to Just Keep Reading Even When I Have No Idea What’s Actually Happening

Step 1. Have one browser window dedicated to Ulysses. In the window, have 4 tabs. One tab has an online copy of Ulysses. The next has the free audiobook version. The third has the Schmoop guide for Ulysses. (The guide has both summaries and analyses by episode.) The last has the link to the goodreads group discussion of the book.

Step 2. Wait until all other household members have gone to bed.

Step 3. Make a cup of tea.

Step 4. Remember this is “just a first reading†and it’s okay to skip stuff not understood.

Step 5. Read a few paragraphs of the Shmoop summary until it references a direct quote from the book that can be memorized.

Step 6. Click on audiobook for episode and then read along in the digital copy. Stop at the direct quote from Step 5.

Step 7. Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 until the end of the episode. Especially Step 4, which may be used as a soothing chant as necessary.

Step 8. Read the Shmoop analysis of the episode.

Step 9. Lament not having read the referenced materials throughout life and consider staying off the computer for five years in order to spend time studying Greek and Roman classics. And Shakespeare. And Irish history. And Catholicism.

Step 10. Go to the goodreads discussion for the episode. Greatly enjoy the discussion and commiseration. 

• Like 10

As I'm sitting here (again) waiting to get replies to urgent (feeling to me) emails, I'm soothing myself (again) with hanging out here!

It is probably very just that I should sit here waiting while other people are living their lives and dealing with their own urgencies rather than sitting by their computer waiting to reply to me!  I should carry this awareness into the future and get better at replying to people as soon as possible  - in case they are sitting there hoping for an immediate response!

Thank you. I'm only one week ahead but I think that's all I'll need. Or if I end up a week behind that's okay too. There are only 2 episodes left. You can catch up after the wedding!

I've been saying that about so many things... but you're right. 

I've been enjoying looking through the group's discussions after I read an episode - and they'll all still be there later too.

Today's mail brought a lovely prize, Selected Poems by Cape Verdean author Corsino Fortes, published by Archipelago.  Purchasing a subscription to Archipelago was probably the nicest thing that I did for myself last year.  A new voice from an exotic place--well, new and exotic for this reader anyway.

From the inside cover:

Fortes is a poet, lawyer, diplomat, and educator who served Cape Verde as an ambassador and in Angola as a judge.  One wonders how some people find time to sleep!

Oh, neat!  ...another one for the after-the-wedding TBR list!  I love having friends with Archipelago subscriptions - I get to hear about so many wonderful books!

I liked The Handmaid's Tale, but I haven't really clicked with any of her other books.  This was . . . different? Not necessarily a typical Atwood, I don't think, but a really great retelling of a modern myth through a female - not necessarily feminist - lense.  So I'd be more inclined to suggest it to anyone who is interested in The Odyssey, Greek mythology, and the role of women in ancient times/ancient lit, rather than to Atwood fans per se.  Though they will like it to, most likely!

I didn't care for Handmaid's Tale, though in much the same way I didn't care for 1984 - powerful, necessary books, but not places I like to spend time.  In fact, most of Atwood's books have impressed me on many levels, but haven't been stories I wanted to experience or had characters I wanted to spend time with.

The Penelopiad is a darker view of the world of Odysseus & Penelope, but I *loved* it.  It isn't how I read the story, but it is a book I want to press upon people.

I'm no fan of Atwood (gah -- I really am a bad feminist ;) :p ), but I've often wondered if I might like The Penelopiad; maybe it would be 'the book' that changes my perception of her writing?

Do you find the story of the Odyssey interesting?  Do you want a sharp-edged, bitterly funny look at it from Penelope's point of view?

I loved it.  ...but the one you might find more interesting might be Alias Grace.  It's rooted in a historical case and does interesting things with narrative point of view... but, like most of the Atwood's I've read, it goes to some dark places with some less than happy or nice people.

I have wanted to read The Penelopiad for a while now. I doubt I will get to it this year, but maybe I need to prioritize for next.  I love Margaret Atwood. She is on my personal list of 'should win a Nobel'. I like how she doesn't give any f'ks.  She writes genre lit, she writes straight up literature, she does poetry.. She just follows the story where it needs to go and doesn't worry about how it will be categorized.  She says what needs to be said.

And she brings skill and passion to the telling.  I just wish she told more stories I wanted to spend time in!

I sat up late reading The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood.  We'll be studying Ancients next year so I'm trying to read eclectically, both for my own enrichment and with an eye toward picking things for my dd to read. This one qualified as the former, though it's probably a little disturbing for my girl. It tells Penelope's story, in her words, with a particular focus on the events following Odysseus' return - the killing of the maids is highlighted. It's a wonderful book, it sheds light on a particularly enigmatic woman and on an almost inexplicably brutal part of The Odyssey - one I've always felt takes something away from the story as a whole. And the perspective on what it must have been like to be a female slave in a Greek house.  Chilling.

I wouldn't give it to a younger teen (personally, ymmv), but I pressed in on dd#2 when she was a senior in high school and she loved it. 

You might like to try Lavinia by Ursula LeGuin - less grim than the Atwood and more in tune with its source material, but at least as brilliant...  I adored it.  ymmv.

Read this week:

Family Plot

Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs -- love Patricia Briggs! my only wish was that her evil guys weren't so evil (I know they're nothing compared to horror - but just past my comfort level)

Miss Tonks Turns to Crime

The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax -- saved me when I wanted to stay up late during DD's bday sleepover!

For my plan of listing non-fiction here last week in hopes of committing to those books: it worked in that I spent only another hour or so on the less interesting books and didn't move to any new non-fiction books.  Actually got about halfway through the book I'm most interested in instead of putting it aside (would have finished it except for the Briggs book showing up on my hold shelf lol)

• Like 5

I finished "Bride of New France" by Suzanne Desrochers and enojoyed it.  There are some brief but interesting historic notes in the back of the book that talk about the Salpetriere, the hospital in Paris, where women were housed and starved and the filles du roi, the women sent to New France.

I'm still working on Oliver Twist and will continue the Marshall theme with Mr. Jones, Meet the Master.  H. C. Branner can't get here fast enough through our library system.

• Like 6

My girls are over in London for the week.  They saved their summer job money and are there for their spring break.  The boys and I are still doing school because of an online class.  

How exciting!  My girls would be jealous!  Heck, I'm jealous! 

On the just about as exciting front: my eldest daughter and her husband and baby are, G-d willing, moving here the end of this summer!!!  My s-i-l will be applying to graduate school here and my daughter will be going to school as well... and I'll get to see my gracious grandaughter in person!  (Very much in person since they'll be living with us for the first few months as they transition!)  ...my cup overfloweth

That is awesome!   :hurray:  The little boy Skye nannies for is 3 now, and she's been watching him since he was 6.5 months.  I'm getting a little taste of grandchildren with him and his sisters.  I admit to not be able to wait until that stage!!  The little booger was here yesterday and it's just so much fun!

On a reading note, I'm still working on my book that I picked for its cover.  Our book club meets Thursday night, and I'm a little behind in reading it.

• Like 6

I just returned from a trip so my kids could see my mom. Good trip but tiring. I continued reading the Faith Hunter series on my kindle and finished my Josephine Tey mystery A Shilling for a Candle which I enjoyed. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16159908-a-shilling-for-candles

I have several other Tey mysteries in hardcover that I requested from the library. Hoping to have an opportunity to read them.

• Like 6

Pyle. Because we really loved Robin Hood. But I think it was just a better story. :lol:

Not sure how far into Robin Hood you want to go with your kids but this is an interesting website for Robin Hood country. http://www.boldoutlaw.com/robbeg/robbeg3.html. We spent some time working on an archaeology project last summer at Clipstone and heard many Robin Hood theories from people there.

• Like 6

Eliana - I'm so happy for you!

I'm still reading La chanteuse-dragon de Pern at the rate of a few pages before bed.  Life is a bit intense here at the moment, and I haven't been reading much.  I'm getting really good at telling The Little Red Hen and Three Little Pigs in the car, though lol.

Nan

• Like 6

I finished a re-read earlier today ~ M. L. Buchman's The Night Is Mine (Night Stalkers).

"NAME: Emily Beale
MISSION: Fly undercover to prevent the assassination of the First Lady, posing as her executive pilot.

NAME: Mark Henderson, code name Viper
MISSION: Undercover role of wealthy, ex-mercenary boyfriend to Emily

Their jobs are high risk, high reward

Protect the lives of the powerful and the elite at all cost. Neither expected that one kiss could distract them from their mission. But as the passion mounts between them, their lives and their hearts will both be risked...and the reward this time may well be worth it."

I enjoyed revisiting the book.

I'm currently reading a book for my next book group meeting ~ Long Man by Amy Greene which is set in Tennessee in the nineteen thirties.

"Annie Clyde Dodson and her three-year-old daughter Gracie are among the last holdouts in a tiny town, standing in the way of progress in the Tennessee River Valley. Just a few days before the Long Man river is scheduled to wash Yuneetah off the map, Gracie disappears one stormy evening. Did she simply wander off into the rain, or was she taken—perhaps by the mysterious drifter who has returned to his hometown on the verge of its collapse?

Set against the backdrop of real-life historical events, Long Man is a searing portrait of a soon-to-be-scattered community brought together by change and crisis, and of one family facing a terrifying ticking clock."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I didn't know what I wanted to read next (& I decided to stop reading the book of West African myths & stories for now -- I will pick it back up again later), so I paged through the e-book offerings from my library & found one that I know I've seen on at least one Flavorwire list. The cover is kind of cool & I remembered nothing about it, so I figure this can be my choice for 'choose a book by its cover'.

21842520.jpg

Really enjoying it so far.

• Like 7

*waving*

Hello again!

Since my last post, I've finished

â–  Afterparty (Daryl Gregory; 2014. 304 pages. Fiction.)
â–  Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home (Susan Hill; 2009. 240 pages. Non-fiction.)
â–  Undivided (Neal Shusterman; 2014. 384 pages. Fiction.)
■ Can’t We Talk about Something More Pleasant?: A Memoir (Roz Chast; 2014. 240 pages. Graphic memoir.)
â–  The Party, After You Left (Roz Chast; 2014. 96 pages. Graphic collection.)
â–  The Days of Abandonment (Elena Ferrante; 2005. 188 pages. Fiction.)

That's sixteen, to date, which is quite a bit off my customary pace, even in "a year of reading slowly." I really have been reading, though: journal articles, the daily paper (the Chicago Tribune, delivered digitally), many magazines, and several comics (The Walking Dead, Lazarus, Revival, They’re Not Like Us, Saga, and Postal). And of course I’ve also been a promiscuous reader of books — beginning several, then leaving them in various states of undress as I slip off to meet another. Heh, heh, heh. In other words, I’ve been reading a lot, just not in the ways that make for good stats.

Here's my complete list:

â–  Afterparty (Daryl Gregory; 2014. 304 pages. Fiction.)
â–  Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home (Susan Hill; 2009. 240 pages. Non-fiction.)
â–  Undivided (Neal Shusterman; 2014. 384 pages. Fiction.)
■ Can’t We Talk about Something More Pleasant?: A Memoir (Roz Chast; 2014. 240 pages. Graphic memoir.)
â–  The Party, After You Left (Roz Chast; 2014. 96 pages. Graphic collection.)
â–  The Days of Abandonment (Elena Ferrante; 2005. 188 pages. Fiction.)
â–  Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data (Charles Wheelan; 2013. 302 pages. Non-fiction.)
â–  The Storm in the Barn (Matt Phelan; 2009. 208 pages. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Kayak Morning: Reflections on Love, Grief, and Small Boats (Roger Rosenblatt; 2012. 160 pages. Non-fiction.)
â–  Reading as Therapy: What Contemporary Fiction Does for Middle-Class Americans (Timothy Aubry; 2011. 268 pages. Non-fiction.)
â–  Dept. of Speculation (Jenny Offill; 2014. 192 pages. Fiction.)
â–  The Paying Guests (Sarah Waters; 2014. 576 pages. Fiction.)
â–  Vodou (Mauro Peressini and Rachel Beauvoir-Dominique; 2013. 108 pages. Non-fiction.)
â–  The Unspeakable: And Other Subjects of Discussion (Meghan Daum; 2014. 256 pages. Non-fiction.)
â–  The Shining Girls (Lauren Beukes; 2013. 400 pages. Fiction.)
â–  Abroad (Katie Crouch; 2014. 304 pages. Fiction.)

• Like 7

I read all of Pym's novels in my 20's. Given my sieve like memory, I can read them again not for the first time, but certainly with an element of freshness. May I pretend that the wisdom of age gives one new eyes?

A good point, and well worth taking!  At age 42, I certainly relate quite differently to the 30something spinster Mildred Lathbury (of Excellent Women) than I did when I was 25.  The books also seem to be getting funnier as I get older.  

I did part 2 of my childbirth educator workshop today  - which was so much fun and reminded me all over again how much I want to be involved in the care-giving end of birth.

Two weeks from now I hope to be lying in bed replaying happy memories from the wedding earlier that day... and look back on these frantic plannings with a contented eye...

On the just about as exciting front: my eldest daughter and her husband and baby are, G-d willing, moving here the end of this summer!!!  My s-i-l will be applying to graduate school here and my daughter will be going to school as well... and I'll get to see my gracious grandaughter in person!  (Very much in person since they'll be living with us for the first few months as they transition!)  ...my cup overfloweth

Eliana, I had not heard all of your fantastic news!  Mazel tov on your daughter's engagement!  And how wonderful that your oldest daughter and her family will be moving back!  You must all be so thrilled.  

Not a book, but I have been reading a lot on vbm-torah.org.  My study partner and I read a number of the essays about Megillat Esther for our Purim study and I thought a couple of them were just terrific.  

I've got Bad Feminist on my list for this year, lol.

Mine too!

â–  Reading as Therapy: What Contemporary Fiction Does for Middle-Class Americans (Timothy Aubry; 2011. 268 pages. Non-fiction.)

â–  The Unspeakable: And Other Subjects of Discussion (Meghan Daum; 2014. 256 pages. Non-fiction.)

The Aubry above looks very interesting.  How was it?

I am a huge Meghan Daum fangirl and am just waiting for the right moment to read her new collection.  Such a gimlet eye, and an amazing way with words.  Have you ever read her first book of essays, My Misspent Youth?   

• Like 5

I took the day off from work yesterday for a me day. I wanted to do some reading, but mostly spent the day with the kids at the water park ;) 

I am still reading Mansfield Park (both audio and Kindle) and loving it. I hope to finish it up today or tomorrow. Next up is perhaps Gilead by Marilynn Robinson. Not sure though. Oh, and Have a New Teenager by Friday (ask me why I'm reading that one LOL)

• Like 9

â–  Dept. of Speculation (Jenny Offill; 2014. 192 pages. Fiction.)

Can you talk to me about these two books? I have been eyeing Offill's book, and the other looks very good too!

• Like 5

Not sure how far into Robin Hood you want to go with your kids but this is an interesting website for Robin Hood country. http://www.boldoutlaw.com/robbeg/robbeg3.html. We spent some time working on an archaeology project last summer at Clipstone and heard many Robin Hood theories from people there.

The link doesn't work, what should I google to find more?

• Like 4

The link doesn't work, what should I google to find more?

The link doesn't work, sorry I normally check my posts. The site is called boldoutlaw.com and appears to have tons of fascinating links to our area with pictures. I just found it yesterday when researching some new to our family walking paths and thought of you.

Eta the link still won't work because I tried reposting it. If you can't find the website with boldoutlaw and robin hood let me know and I will ask my son to help. Lol

• Like 5

I finished Redeployment last night. I really loved it, but not as much as Olive Kittridge.  I lucked out and Good Lord Bird was available at the library.  I put myself on the waiting list for The Narrow Road to the Deep North, but I am #77 and there are only 6 books to go around. So, it will be a while, lol.

When I am done with Good Lord Bird I might finish the Ferrante series. I also want to read her "Days of Abanondment"...actually, I want to read everything she has ever written.

Idnib, that you so much for all of that. I will be following up with all those links etc. And I suspect your process looks a lot like mine will.  I read The Dubliners back in my college days, I took a class on Irish lit, and I think that is what sparked my love for the short story. I have wanted to read Ulysses only because I love The Dead so very, very much.

The podcast about Ulysses that I have ready to go is "Frank Delaney's Re: Joyce." There are hundreds of podcasts because he only does 5 min 'mini essays' and he says he will go through sentence by sentence if  need be, lol. As I look through the podcasts I can see that many are longer than 5 mins but they aren't long. One is 27 mins but the rest are all in the 9-12 min range. Anyway, he loves the book and he wants everyone else to love it also, which is a good place to start.

• Like 5

The link doesn't work, sorry I normally check my posts. The site is called boldoutlaw.com and appears to have tons of fascinating links to our area with pictures. I just found it yesterday when researching some new to our family walking paths and thought of you.

Eta the link still won't work because I tried reposting it. If you can't find the website with boldoutlaw and robin hood let me know and I will ask my son to help. Lol

Got it!  Thank you!

We actually read a great King Arthur chapter today.  It doesn't seem so daunting now. :)

• Like 4

I finished my book group book yesterday ~ Long Man by Amy Greene.  I'm glad to have read it.  I also know myself well enough to say that had it not been a book group book, I would have abandoned it unfinished.  I knew before beginning that there would be a missing child, so I had a feeling of impending doom through much of the book.

I also finished another re-read ~ Nalini Singh's paranormal romance Slave to Sensation which I recently won in a giveaway.

"In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them would be to sentence herself to the horror of “rehabilitationâ€â€”the complete psychic erasure of everything she ever was…

Both human and animal, Lucas Hunter is a Changeling hungry for the very sensations the Psy disdain. After centuries of uneasy coexistence, these two races are now on the verge of war over the brutal murders of several Changeling women. Lucas is determined to find the Psy killer who butchered his packmate, and Sascha is his ticket into their closely guarded society. But he soon discovers that this ice-cold Psy is very capable of passion—and that the animal in him is fascinated by her. Caught between their conflicting worlds, Lucas and Sascha must remain bound to their identities—or sacrifice everything for a taste of darkest temptation…"

This is the first book in a now lengthy series which I read back in 2006; I have been reading the series ever since.  It was fun to go back to the book that started it all.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I recently discovered that the MacGregor serieshttps://www.goodreads.com/series/51607-the-macgregorsby Nora Roberts has finally been released in kindle form. These are some of my favourites which I read many times several years ago. I no longer have my copies(big move) so being able to get them on overdrive will be great as soon as my library has all of them! They do have the first one Playing the Odds which I read last night. I loved it!

• Like 3

Idnib, that you so much for all of that. I will be following up with all those links etc. And I suspect your process looks a lot like mine will.  I read The Dubliners back in my college days, I took a class on Irish lit, and I think that is what sparked my love for the short story. I have wanted to read Ulysses only because I love The Dead so very, very much.

The podcast about Ulysses that I have ready to go is "Frank Delaney's Re: Joyce." There are hundreds of podcasts because he only does 5 min 'mini essays' and he says he will go through sentence by sentence if  need be, lol. As I look through the podcasts I can see that many are longer than 5 mins but they aren't long. One is 27 mins but the rest are all in the 9-12 min range. Anyway, he loves the book and he wants everyone else to love it also, which is a good place to start.

You're welcome.

As I reach the end of the book, I can see now that my method was a good way for me to make a first pass at Ulysses. Having learned a lot about each episode and following Thomas, who's leading the goodreads group, I have a basic understanding of how it all hangs together. When I started I didn't even really know what the book was about, the basic plot, etc. All I knew was that I had failed attempts behind me and a desire to tackle it.

I also now see that this book will require multiple readings. Having read it with electronic assistance (audiobook, goodreads group, hyperlinked references, etc) has made it much more accessible, but I think my next reading will be with a good old-fashioned paper book. I think there is something to be said for just reading it through and enjoying the language and story without constantly stopping and discussing.

• Like 4

The site is called boldoutlaw.com and appears to have tons of fascinating links to our area with pictures. I just found it yesterday when researching some new to our family walking paths and thought of you.

I have a photo of me from the 80's in front of this statue. That would be the skinny version of me with big hair. :D

stat2.jpg

• Like 4

The Aubry above looks very interesting.  How was it?

I am a huge Meghan Daum fangirl and am just waiting for the right moment to read her new collection.  Such a gimlet eye, and an amazing way with words.  Have you ever read her first book of essays, My Misspent Youth?   

Youth is on my Kindle, and the Aubry was promising but failed to deliver.

• Like 4

Can you talk to me about these two books? I have been eyeing Offill's book, and the other looks very good too!

This post from Magnificent Octopus prompted me to read Speculation: http://magnificentoctopus.blogspot.com/2015/01/speculation.html

(She links to reviews, too.) I thought it was a sad, lyrical, and quick read.

And Reading as Therapy failed to deliver on a promising thesis.

• Like 4

I get the message "403 Forbidden" which makes me want to see this even more!  :coolgleamA:

Me too. But, if you modify the address to: http://www.boldoutlaw.com/images/& then scroll down to "stat2.jpg", I think it shows the linked one. But there's no Kathy with BIG HAIR in it!

ETA: And now that I did all that, the original link seems to be working anyway. <shrug>

• Like 5