Menu

What does "barbecue" mean where you are?

momofkhm

Typically, homemade potato salad is also inextricably linked to barbecue in this area. I don't know why. It just is.

Oh yes. If it is a family bbq, there has to be an argument over whose potato salad is best.

I don't think we get beef hotdogs here. Beef is sausage and not orange on the outside. A hot dog is orange on the outside and allegedly made of pork. 

Sloppy Joes?  Just give me a burger instead.

What? I thought Sloppy Joe was a kind of burger!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? I thought Sloppy Joe was a kind of burger!

It's ground up burger (in chunks), fried on a stovetop, and smothered in a tomato based sauce (often from a can), then served on a roll.

I'd just as soon have the burger as a burger - grilled - and with fixings I can add.

Sloppy Joes are Sloppy Joes.  They aren't BBQ IMO.

• Like 1

Someone call my name?

Ahem, um, let's see, in our house, we use these terms interchangeably:

Ground hamburger with sauce = sloppy joes or barbecue

Grilled meat = grilling or barbecue

Backyard party = cookout or barbecue

Pulled pork/beef/chicken = pulled or barbecue pork/beef/chicken

Barbecue is just a nice word and should be used to describe as many things as possible.

• Like 1

It's ground up burger (in chunks), fried on a stovetop, and smothered in a tomato based sauce (often from a can), then served on a roll.

I'd just as soon have the burger as a burger - grilled - and with fixings I can add.

Sloppy Joes are Sloppy Joes.  They aren't BBQ IMO.

So bolognese sauce on a roll? 

So bolognese sauce on a roll? 

Sort of, but the majority of bolognese sauces I've had have tasted better.  Here's Wiki's definition/pics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloppy_joe

Regardless of what people think about the taste (different recipes could certainly taste different), it doesn't fall under my definition of BBQ (slow cooked meat) or even BBQ's other definition (grilled foods).  It's a modification of hamburger without the grilling - more akin to hamburger helper types of foods.

• Like 1

I grew up in California and now I live in Utah. "We're having a barbecue" typically means "we are eating outside and are probably cooking some sort of meat on the grill." There may or may not be any barbecue sauce in sight. Typical food items are hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, potato salad, corn on the cob, and watermelon. Sometimes there might be steak or chicken. I don't think I've ever been to a barbecue that involves meat slow-cooked in barbecue sauce (if that's how it even works--I don't know). :)

• Like 2

Goodness, the things you can learn on here! :)

There is no such thing as a grilled or fried hot dog though. That would just be a grilled or fried saveloy. Hot dog means a saveloy that you simmer.

And don't tell me I'm wrong, or I'll start talking about The Dress.  :lol:

Here (where I live now in Western Canada), when people say barbecue, they mean the act of grilling something on the grill.

They are, of course, very, very, very wrong.

Barbecue is slow cooked meat (usually brisket or pork or ribs -- any or all of that holy trinity) cooked using a covered grill over coals and wood chips, and must include a most spectacular concoction of savoury and sweet spices and herbs blended and simmered into the sacred sauce that is then brushed upon the meat at the very end of the cooking with some extra served alongside for all to marvel at its holy goodness.

• Like 1

I am sad at what means "barbecue" in some areas.

Some of y'all are tragically deprived.

I know what you mean.  I cannot express the depth of my disappointment when, in my first summer here, I was invited for BBQ -- and it was burgers and hot dogs.

Someone call my name?

Ahem, um, let's see, in our house, we use these terms interchangeably:

Ground hamburger with sauce = sloppy joes or barbecue

Grilled meat = grilling or barbecue

Backyard party = cookout or barbecue

Pulled pork/beef/chicken = pulled or barbecue pork/beef/chicken

Barbecue is just a nice word and should be used to describe as many things as possible.

:lol: I love your first line!

• Like 1

around here, barbecue at home usually means cooking something on the grill (hamburgers or hotdogs or steak or chicken). if people go out to barbecue, the restaurant serves smoked meats...ribs, pork, brisket, etc.

But then, there are "chicken barbecues" which are usually fundraisers where a barbecue place comes to a church or school and grills chicken that has been marinated in a vinegar and herb sauce over a charcoal grill.

Barbecue is either a picnic like event where some of the food is cooked on the spot on a grill OR it is a type of preparation for pork or beef or chicken meat.

We have no unique regional BBQ style here but in general, we tend to mess it up with copious amounts of sauce.