I can only do this so many times....

Make paper when we study China

Why do you make paper when studying China?  Other things you could try are

growing silkworms,

abacus,

cooking Chinese food,

using chopsticks,

watch dragonboat races or lion dance if you are near a Chinese community,

model the Great Wall of China in Minecraft or with Legos.

I am sick of Chinese New Year. I feel like we've explored Chinese culture in Australia a million times. Of course, we're supposed to do it AGAIN for 6th grade. I just can't.

Today is actually the 3rd day of Chinese New Year (AU timezone).  Why do you have to explore Chinese culture so many times?  Once in social studies is really enough for K-12 :)

Am I terrible homeschooler for not having done a single activity from SOTW?

If you are than I am too, lol.

We are 2/3 of the way through SOTW1 and we haven't done anything but read the book and do the map work. Science and art provide enough messes for me for the week. Oh well, my kids haven't complained.

If you are than I am too, lol.

We are 2/3 of the way through SOTW1 and we haven't done anything but read the book and do the map work. Science and art provide enough messes for me for the week. Oh well, my kids haven't complained.

We've only done a handful of the activities, and I've been feeling guilty. We do always do the map work and read some of the recommended books...

Not only do I not do many activities for history and Spanish, I don't do all the demonstrations in science.

Looks particularly bad since I only have one kid--I'm not even doing it all once. I am so glad that DS and I are on the same page when it comes to the value of crafts.

My son despises crafts, so we skipped every.single. last. one. of them in SOTW. He loves to read and do the map work, so we do that. You can keep the crafts - I'd rather have an ice pick jabbed through my temple. We do the cooking, however, which is a hit here.

Thanks for reminding me about Silk Worms! I hope to raise them this year. Raising silk worms, making a huge hexagonal patterned bee hive with my friend Jamie, and getting yelled at for crying when someone else got hurt - the three things I remember from Kindergarten. :-)

Emily

Yeah, I don't do anything, either. My kids aren't really crafty, and the effort of doing the activities never seems to equal the educational gain, or even the enjoyment, so we just don't do it. I think the only thing they ever really liked was when we burned down London out on the patio when we did SOTW book 2. But that was easy enough. Color the picture. Throw down a match. London, up in flames.

We pick & choose activities to do from the SOTW AG. My kids generally love them. I do them with great interest the first time and sometimes subsequent times, if they are picked the next time through the 4 yr rotation with the next group of kids. However, when my kids ask to do something again, not related to a history lesson but just for fun, am I a bad mom for saying they can do it on their own but leave me out of it? 

That salt/gold running activity thing is great fun for the kids, but rather boring for me. They've asked for it a couple times, but won't do it on their own (timer, two bowls - one with candy, one with pennies, not hard to do).

Making peanut butter chocolate kiss blossom cookies for "factory work" = yummy but too much work to set up when it isn't for school. It is so much easier to just make them on my own or with only one kid helping than when everyone wants their own job.  :smash:  :scared:

Yeah, I feel guilty about it.

Yeah, I don't do anything, either. My kids aren't really crafty, and the effort of doing the activities never seems to equal the educational gain, or even the enjoyment, so we just don't do it. I think the only thing they ever really liked was when we burned down London out on the patio when we did SOTW book 2. But that was easy enough. Color the picture. Throw down a match. London, up in flames.

Our favorite was the Guy Foxx (not sure I am spelling his name right, but too lazy to get up and look) where we memorized the poem, made the doll and burned it!

I hate to say, I've never done a single project from SOTW or any other history book, nor do I intend to. I HATED those things in school, and lived in fear of projects being sent home when the kids were in school. Poor souls always had the most pathetic posters, etc. So when I brought them home, I declared our homeschool a diorama-free homeschool! I so love being in charge ;-}!