Menu

Shoes for 12 yo girl????

Innisfree

Dd 12 needs shoes, and we're having a hard time reaching agreement here.

She's assembled a lovely and inexpensive wardrobe over the last few months shopping at thrift shops. She has used her own money, dresses tastefully and classically, and I've been surprised and delighted with her choices. But, she's not wearing jeans. She's usually wearing a skirt, knit top and sweater. This is relatively new for her.

For shoes she's been wearing a pair of black pumps which were purchased for her to use in a character dance class. I never intended her to use them this much once the class ended, but she needed something in a hurry last summer for a funeral and they were the most appropriate ones she had. Now, with her new wardrobe, they look great, but they're getting too small, and I think the heels are a bit too high for everyday use (about1 1/2"). I'd like to replace them with something well-made, lower, with a good arch support, but not too expensive. She's going to outgrow new ones fairly soon at this rate.

Where would you go for this? She's outgrown children's sizes. When I look at good adult shoes they're just so expensive. I guess I'd consider $40 reasonable, but I can't see spending $100. We've already tried the thrift shops without success.

Do you have Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc. near you?  I would start there and look for a nice pair of ballet flats.  Even DSW, if you have one, would have plenty of $40 options. I would stay away from Target; we have had nothing but bad experiences with their shoes, which look cheap to me anyway (because they are).  Amazon had a ton of shoes as well, in every price range.  

For the past year or two we've been going to DSW. It's an out-of-town trip for us, so it's usually before or after an away soccer game and something we all look forward to. Both of my girls have been getting flats there, and I also let them get a pair of wedges last spring. It's so easy to try on lots of different brands/styles to find what suits (one dd has a wide toe area, one has skinny feet). I would say their average choice there is about a $30-$35 shoe (I would be choosing more expensive brands for my feet, but the teen/pre-teen friendly styles tend to be cheaper). Yes, more expensive than kid shoes, but rewards and coupons help. One dd also found inexpensive black flats that fit her weird feet at JC Penney--A.N.A brand I think, so that is worth checking.

What about the Kadee shoes from crocs?  They are sort of ballet shoe esque.  They have arch support.  They are available in black.  They are $32.  http://www.crocs.com/crocs-kadee/11215,default,pd.html?cid=060

My dd has the cap toe flat (again from crocs).  They have a small heel, and the toe is shiny like patent leather.  She wears them for school, on the day she has to wear the more formal uniform.  http://www.crocs.com/crocs-womens-cap-top-flat/12300,default,pd.html?cid=060

We generally do well at Marshall's. I tend toward flats, loafers etc. and often find them there. DD just found a pair of good black ballet flats there for a party for $39. And I just bought a pair of cute Jambus (like these) there for $40 too. Our local stores, at least, tend to have a good selection of just about everything. 

If these were going to be her primary shoes for the next number of months, I'd probably try to find nicer ones with some support that are good for walking and comfort.  If you're just looking for something dressy for short term wearing, I'd get something cheaper.  How much they were going to be on her feet make a big difference to me.  I get my kids one higher end pair at a time with good support that they won't complain about walking distance in (hopefully at a decent price) and if we need dress shoes or whatever beyond that, I go cheapie on those.

A good place to watch for nicer brand names at better prices is Sierra Trading or the REI outlet.

The choices are dominated by the width of your daughter's feet. I wear a size 8.5 length which is no problem. What is [a problem] is the width of AAAA. No such thing as an inexpensive shoe for me, sadly.

As just noted, good arch support and good construction of the overall shoe are very important.

Shoebuy.com - all sizes and widths. Free shipping and free returns, so if you order the wrong size, or the shoe just doesn't feel right, you aren't out any money.

There are sales regularly. Currently they have 25% off most shoes (note they never seem to allow discounts on some brands like Minnetoka).