Menu

*updated: He says he wants to learn about space. Now what?* (orig: What do yo use for science in the logic stage?)

See updated title - Link wants to learn about space next year.  Is there anything that is good for that?  Curriculum, books, documentaries, etc?

It's probably not realistic to spend an entire year on space, right?  

What else should we do?  Astro says he wants to study 'our planet' (his exact words) this coming year.  He'll be in fourth.  I guess I could, conceivably, combine the two of them for science and do like half and half?  Hmm... thoughts?

Original:

Link will be in 6th grade next year, and while he likes what we do (as do I), I'm thinking about *possibly* amping it up a bit for the future.  

Right now, we do science WTM style.  He's in the usual rotation for his grade - right now, year one of the history/science cycle, doing biology.  

Next year he'll be on astronomy and earth science.

So two questions:

1. What programs have you liked/used (or even really disliked, it never hurts to hear all sides) for middle grade science?  Doesn't have to specifically be what he's 'supposed' to be studying next year - I'm not opposed to switching things up if there's something great out there that we could get started on now.  

2. Should we decide to go ahead and stick with the usual rotation, does anyone have recommendations for 6th grade astronomy/earth science?

When it comes down to it, I can't say for sure whether we'll stick with what we're doing or move to something else, but I just wanted to hear some opinions to start with.   :)  Thanks!

We have used library books and documentaries. I have not seen a middle grades "curriculum" I liked.

We did not use textbooks until my kids were ready for Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, Bloomberg's How Things Work, Campbell's high school biology text, and Tarbuck's Earth Science. We have used portions of these in the middle grades.

My kids got to choose which science topics to study. We have not followed any formal rotation, and I do not subscribe to the reasoning that a certain science sequence "matches" history.

For earth science in 6th grade, my DS read a lot of non fiction books from he library and watched tons of documentaries: (list below)

After that, we did some physical science and some biology.

Earth science docus:

History channel: How the Earth was made

BBC: Earth: The Biography (5 Episodes

·National Geographic: Volcano: Nature's Inferno·

BBC: Before the Dinosaurs: Walking with Monsters (3 episodes)·

Walking with Prehistoric Beasts (6 episodes)·

BBC: Walking with Dinosaurs (6 episodes)·

National Geographic: Nature's Fury

National Geographic: Amazing Planet

The Blue Planet: Seas of Life: Open Oceans / The Deep

National Geographic: Secret Yosemite; Secret Yellowstone

Yellowstone: Battle for Life, Winter

Volcanoes of the Deep Sea: IMAX

I adore Elemental Science's classic series. It's based upon TWTM suggestions, has worksheets and well-planned experiments (easy and they work), science kits if you want them, and is relatively independent at the logic stage. We switched over a few years ago and never looked back. My only complaint is that Elemental Science wasn't around when I needed it with my oldest kids!

DS12 wanted to try a textbook after his years of pure interest led and inquiry science in grades 1-4. He used/uses CPO for 5th and 6th, and I bought all three at the start so we could integrate the disciplines instead of taking them one by one. We supplemented with lots of reading and documentaries. There are reading suggestions in the CPO TG.

We will use Conceptual Integrated Science for 7th and 8th. I plan to use the accompanying web site. http://conceptualacademy.com

Alternating  banging head against wall or cowering under a blanket.

More seriously, I realized recently that DS knew very little about the solar system and what have you. Yes we used to go to AMNH weekly, but never memorized planets, why the moon does what it does etc. So we are using the Tarbuck chapters for that, combined with Cosmos, combined with an very beautifully illustrated book combined with a specific visit to the AMNH for this.

There's brain day at the local museum so then we will embark on McHenry's Brain, dissect (maybe, who knows what will happen) sheep brain and go to the brain day.

Then we will read together Exploring the Way life works. And then a biology lab 2 day intensive. Maybe a pond unit in the summer. That's it for 5th.

6th is the rest of Tarbuck's book (Earth science). I have ordered some rock samples and scoped out a couple of local abandoned mines and a mine museum.

7th I am hoping Conceptual Science with Landry academy. And that's all.

I am not good at science. it requires a lot of self-discipline to do all this, and it is not much.

In 4th, he did a chemistry unit with a local teacher and some Galore Park integrated science.

ETA DH does MAKE: electronics with the kid over the weekend.

ETA again. He is reading all Scientists in the Field books

This semester my son (12) has been enjoying focusing on chemistry using The Elements and Carbon Chemistry by Ellen McHenry, The Elements by Theodore Gray, Hunting the Elements by NOVA, Horrible Science: Chemical Chaos, Exploring the World of Chemistry by John H Tiner, and parts of The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry. I would like to do a few GEMS labs soon as we have been a bit book heavy.

We tried Apologia General Science at the beginning of the school year, but he wasn't very excited by it, and with a newborn it wasn't getting done as regularly as I wanted.

I don't buy into the idea of a science rotation. Before high school, expose the kids to all branches of science (if possible) by letting them study what interests them.

This is what we did (gosh, I hope I remember everything!):

5th: CPO Earth Science; fabulous year

6th: CPO Life Science; bits and pieces of Tabuck's Earth Science, some botany, basic chemistry, building structures with balsa wood (these went w Science Olympiad events---she won a few state medals)

7th: started with the free American Chemical Society middle school curriculum but discovered she already knew 75% of it, more Tarbuck's, botany from my grad school books, astronomy books and DVDs, basic environmental science, more building (again to go with Science Olympiad---v good medal year at state competition)

8th: stepped up the difficulty with an algebra-based physics course using Giancolli; more geology and astronomy and envi sci and building (I just let her find whatever was interesting to study starting from Science Olympiad suggestions--last year competing at the middle school division w great medals won)

We're doing Harcourt grade 6 this year in 5th grade along with "experiment" guides from the library.  I've also been seeking out living book ideas on the forum for her to read.  We'll probably be studying earth science next year.  The local classical school (that dd might attend some day) studies earth science in 6th grade.  Not sure what we will use.  DD loves hands-on so it will either be a program that already includes it or we'll add it in.  She loves rocks and minerals, so in addition to whatever else we do we'll buy a big set and she can do all of the identification tests.

We are enjoying Elemental Science-Chemistry for the Logic Stage.  Ideally, I would love to not spend the money on science and pull together things to expose them then teach them these things b/c there hasn't been a science curriculum to EVER excite me.  But I assessed my what my time was worth as I pulled these items and searched for videos/materials, etc. and determined that it was worth more than the $120 I spent to get TWO kids the student texts, a shared science kit and myself a teacher's guide.  The experiments have all worked so far, have been extremely effective, and both kids seem to be learning a lot and enjoying it.

DS12 wanted to try a textbook after his years of pure interest led and inquiry science in grades 1-4. He used/uses CPO for 5th and 6th, and I bought all three at the start so we could integrate the disciplines instead of taking them one by one. We supplemented with lots of reading and documentaries. There are reading suggestions in the CPO TG.

We will use Conceptual Integrated Science for 7th and 8th. I plan to use the accompanying web site. http://conceptualacademy.com

I really like the look of that.  The only thing I'm not clear on from the website would be appropriate ages/grades/whatever.  Well, and cost.  :lol:  It may not be what we'd be able to use this coming year, but possibly in the future.

Prentice Hall science explorer + documentaries + some hands on stuff. We have a lot of "life" going on and the textbook + workbook allow him to move forward when I am not available that day to do hands on stuff. (He loves workbooks.)

Why am I not finding the actual website for the textbook and everything?  All I can find is this, which doesn't tell me much, it just seems to have nearly everything online.  ???

oops, nvm, found it!!  

See updated title - Link wants to learn about space next year.  Is there anything that is good for that?  Curriculum, books, documentaries, etc?

It's probably not realistic to spend an entire year on space, right?  

I don't see why that would be unrealistic - astronomy is a very interesting and extensive field of study.

When my DS studied astronomy in middle school, we used lots  of library books. He liked the series by Isaac Asimov and read his books about Comets and meteorites, Black holes, quasars and pulsars, and Venus; Mercury; Pluto; Jupiter.

We watched documentaries: Cosmos by Carl Sagan, Planet Earth (series), Miracle Planet (series).

We also visited a planetarium and the observatory of the university.. If you have a student with a  strong interest in astronomy I would look for an astronomy club or some way to have access to a telescope.