Menu

Has anyone else felt this way? Just put them all in school?

So, I am educating 4 kids this year. The oldest, 6th grade has always been difficult. He's very bright, but under the impression that if he doesn't want to do something he shouldn't have to do it. He complains and complains about assignments and puts forth the minimum of effort. It has never really been in the plan to homeschool all the way through and we have found a charter high school we are really interested in getting him in. But, with his current work habits, there's no way he would get in. So, we decided to put him in Catholic School for 7th and 8th grade to get him used to a classroom situation and to teach him to work under someone else's expectations. Well, now I'm tempted to put my other two oldest in the same school. Tuition is reasonable, they have good discounts for siblings and we have room in our budget now that we paid off our house. But I'm thinking to myself, "what is wrong with me? We are homeschoolers. Yes, we have a valid reason to put child #1 in school, but not the other two." Why am I so quick to throw in the towel? Dh doesn't really care. Yes, he wants us to homeschool, but he's more anti-public school than anything else, and since this is a private school.... Has anyone else felt like this? What did you do?

It's February. Can you hold off on the decision until March or later? I think everyone tends to feel overwhelmed at this time of year. I know it's when I start having fantasies of that big yellow bus that comes right in front of my house at 7:30 each morning. And I only have ONE to homeschool!

Yes, I have felt that way. I don't have the option though as DD wouldn't make it through ps unscathed. We are accidental homeschoolers. I can relate as I'm totally burnt out and it's only February. I also only have ONE. (LOL) Good luck to you.

Yes, I have felt that way. I don't have the option though as DD wouldn't make it through ps unscathed. We are accidental homeschoolers. I can relate as I'm totally burnt out and it's only February. I also only have ONE. (LOL) Good luck to you.

I love the term "accidental homeschoolers".  I'm going to be using that term from now on.  It describes our family to a T.

As for the OP, you need to do what's best for you and your family.  You might find some ways to evaluate your different options by listening to SWB's lecture on Burnout from PHP.  The audio lecture doesn't focus on burnout, although she does discuss it in detail and how to deal with it.  But she is not preaching that one should homeschool at any cost and how to get over burnout so you can go back to homeschooling effectively.  I found the lecture to be very thought provoking and helpful, even though I wasn't in the depths of burnout.

It's February. Can you hold off on the decision until March or later? I think everyone tends to feel overwhelmed at this time of year. I know it's when I start having fantasies of that big yellow bus that comes right in front of my house at 7:30 each morning. And I only have ONE to homeschool!

This, this, this.

Last week I was ready to send my eldest to school (which would never work - academic reasons), my middle school (which would never work - medical reasons), and my youngest to whatever preschool or childcare wouldn't kick him out.

I've since come to my senses. Kind of.

I have one child whom we are seriously considering sending to school for high school, but my other child could go either way. When I start thinking about school for one though, especially this time of year, I have the same thoughts about putting them both in school.

Unless you absolutely must put down deposits to hold spots for them now, I would try to wait to make the decision until May or June.

No advice really, but I wouldn't consider it "throwing in the towel."  I'd think of it more as going another direction. It's never giving up if its the best choice for your family. If you aren't happy, then you need to make some kind of change. I'd try to finish out the year if it were me, but I can understand why some wouldn't.

I have thought about just enrolling my own children in school and enrolling myself in college. "Wouldn't it be healthy to show them my own drive, instead of push and prod at theirs," I often wonder. And its likely to happen, as I am actually liking the idea and planning my life accordingly.                      

Just keep in mind that around here the deadline to apply for private school is about now. I don't know if that's the case with where you are or not, but keep it in mind.

Ok, I didn't think about "February Burn-Out." I do get that every year. And it is the time of year I get depressed about homeschooling! Ok, we will put off the decision for the other kids till March or April. That does make sense.

I have thought about just enrolling my own children in school and enrolling myself in college. "Wouldn't it be healthy to show them my own drive, instead of push and prod at theirs," I often wonder. And its likely to happen, as I am actually liking the idea and planning my life accordingly.

I sort of just did this...although I didn't put my kids in school. I'm doing my school online so I can still homeschool. I figured I should do what I keep telling my kids to do LOL.

So far I love school...my kids..not so much.

So even though my "plan of inspiration" doesn't seem to be working at least I can shut the door after listening ro my kids grump and groan and enjoy my own learning LOL. Gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day.

I don't think it's that bad of an idea.  I am a huge proponent of HSing, and an atheist, and I'd consider sending mine to a Catholic school (if it was somewhat liberal and let students work at own pace like the one in the town I'm from does).  But I also suggest waiting and see how you feel in a few months when the sky is bright and there are fun things to do outside in the sunshine.

Ok, I didn't think about "February Burn-Out." I do get that every year. And it is the time of year I get depressed about homeschooling! Ok, we will put off the decision for the other kids till March or April. That does make sense.

It doesn't help that February blahs coincide with private school enrollment deadlines! Talk about pressure to make a decision at the worst possible time to make one!

It doesn't help that February blahs coincide with private school enrollment deadlines! Talk about pressure to make a decision at the worst possible time to make one!

Well, I'm not sure if they have a deadline, but they did say registration is in February. We are going to register DS this month. It's the parish school in our small town. We are not Catholic and this school wasn't even on the radar a month ago. We always assumed that if we were going to put the kids in private school it would be the Protestant Christian school here in town. I graduated high school there, I even taught there. But there are just things going on there I don't like. And when my girlfriend said last month, "why don't you try SLS." And I said, "but we're not Catholic" and she said, "so...." So, they had an Open House a couple weeks ago and I went and I loved it. I knew one of the teachers and had a great talk with her. And now I want to put all my kids there. But DH and I have had several good talks over the past couple days and have decided to stay the course and continue homeschooling our other kids at least for next year. It's funny how your life and ideas can change like that, so unexpectedly.

Yes, I've felt this way, and yes, it's usually February Blahs.

By the way, think of this: With your oldest (negative nelly) out of the house, it will probably change your homeschooling dynamic.

After I enrolled my oldest in online school, things improved drastically. Additionally, when she got a job so she was out of the house 3 days a week, things got even better. The negativity influences EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. My younger kids are more content and cheerful without hearing their sister's constant litany about how her life is misery, and I have more emotional energy to try to make things more fun for them.

In your shoes, I would wait till fall. I'd wager that with oldest in school, you will find new enjoyment in homeschooling.