Menu

Changing names

Night Elf

Am I the only one who gets confused by name changes? I'll be honest and say I rarely pay attention to avatars and certainly don't link names with avatars. So if someone changes their name but keeps their avatar, it's still not helpful to me. Sorry! I'll lose out on knowing who you are. But that's probably okay because I'm only a wee beastie around here.

Guest submarines

Totally! Like there's now a Mom1234 (or Mom with some numbers) and she has her old avatar, which is actually more confusing because I know I should know this person, because the avatar is so painfully familiar, but now it is all just a vague memory. And if she didn't mention some facts about her family in a new post that I remember from another post, I would be even more in the dark.

But on the other hand, we can all change names now and it will be like a totally new hangout. No preconceptions, no biases. I can probably unblock a handful of people I blocked years ago, and it will take me years to realize who they are. Or maybe they are all changed now, and I'm changed, and we'll be best buddies.

:coolgleamA:

But on the other hand, we can all change names now and it will be like a totally new hangout. No preconceptions, no biases. I can probably unblock a handful of people I blocked years ago, and it will take me years to realize who they are. Or maybe they are all changed now, and I'm changed, and we'll be best buddies.

:coolgleamA:

Woah, it would be sort of like that Star Trek Next Generation episode where they all lost their memories, and Data ended up as the barkeeper, and Ro Laren and Riker were a couple.

I'm more visual, so I notice avatars more than names... When most of the board changed avatars due to copyright issues or whatever it was, it was like being in a whole new world for me- I had no idea who anybody was anymore. That's why I put a description of my former avatar above my current one- in case there is anone here who thinks like I do.

I'm one of the guilty ones. My name change has less to do with a sudden realization that it is public (as I have always known and warned my kiddos) and more to do with a shift in my overall desire to be a little less quotable. This has been something on my mind a lot more in recent months, and the article was just the catalyst to get it done. Yes, I'm still very find-able online. I'm just going to make lazy reporters that want to quote out of context have to work a little to figure me out. More of my online presence will be shifting to something more compatible with a professional, and I would like a place or two to let my hair down a bit.

I will continue to be careful with what I say online, as always.

I must have missed something. Isn't it common knowledge, something that has been repeated here a million times, that this place isn't private?? Why on earth are members getting in a tizzy to change their names? If you weren't aware of that by now, you may be in for a surprise. Didn't we all give the same type speech to our kids when they were allowed online? If you truly don't want to be found, using real names, or initials( even backward ones), etc are just plain dumb. Answering every poll on this forum-- anyone could access these and know such intimate details, from shoe size to favorite teas.

Not to mention threads about what your screen name indicates, etc.

I suggest that the easiest way to throw people offtrack if you want true anonymity is to use a different first name (maybe your dog's name or a name of a street you used to live on or your favorite aunt's first name etc) - like Mary, Jane or Sarah - when your name is none of those - and then give out the state you live in and never the general location. So, if someone quotes you on their blog or Facebook or whatever, you would be known as a "Sarah from Oregon" when you are not a Sarah (but, your cat is really the Sarah from Oregon). And posting avatar pictures of yourself makes you quickly traceable by your friends and family (and your own kids too).

I'm more visual, so I notice avatars more than names... When most of the board changed avatars due to copyright issues or whatever it was, it was like being in a whole new world for me- I had no idea who anybody was anymore. That's why I put a description of my former avatar above my current one- in case there is anone here who thinks like I do.

I would never know who you were without that description!