Menu

PaperBackSwap Alternatives?

5of5

I’m looking for any recommendations on alternates to PaperBackSwap.  Later this month they are going to start charging a fee.  I don’t really use the service to justify paying it.  I’m not even that interested in the per-book fee option.  I mainly used the site just because I thought it was a good way to recycle books, not because it was a bargain.  I mainly use my local library and e-books now.

This is horrible!

Thank you for posting this though, my PBS is still sent to my old email address which is overrun with spam.

Bookmooch is run by losers, and I think they may charge a fee now as well.

There's also change-o books, but they were small and not sure if it's still around.

I don't know what I'll do with PBS or my credits there... :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

Amazon books start at $4, PBS books were around $2.50. With .49 added or a yearly premium....I'm not sure it's worth it. 

As a spin-off of my own thread, I wonder if there is (ethically, not legally) a form of breach of contract in the sense that my accumulated credits are now worth less than they were before.  I’m tempted to hurry up and try to find some books to get before I walk away!  :glare: 

As a spin-off of my own thread, I wonder if there is (ethically, not legally) a form of breach of contract in the sense that my accumulated credits are now worth less than they were before. I’m tempted to hurry up and try to find some books to get before I walk away! :glare:

I'm fairly certain their user agreement addressed the fact it may not always be a free service.

It's only 49 cents if you pay per swap. I use it once or twice a year if that and don't mind paying to use the service.

For me, the cost of shipping the book was more than I'd pay at a local used book store.  As I said, I thought it was a good way to recycle books, but this was the "last straw" --- for me anyway.

Wow, I hadn't seen that they are going to start charging a fee. I did have an email from them in my inbox that I have not read yet, so I will check it out.

I have not used PBS in a long time, and I just bought three credits there and ordered two books I wanted so I have one credit left. I need to find a book and use the credit I guess.

edit-I read the email and it is about the fees. By my reading of the email, and a brief reading of the FAQ that they link 

to, you don't have to get a yearly membership. There is an option of just paying 49 cent each time you request a book.  Also, if you buy credits instead of earning them from sending a book, it includes the fee. Lately, I have just purchased a few credits here and there when I wanted a book.   The purchased credits were a little more than it costs to mail a book, but it was worth it to me.

Also, if you are sending out a book and use their printable postage, you will get a free swap credit.

So for an occasional user like me, it will still work out, I think.

I looked at bookmooch and really don't like the layout of their site.

I buy used books at a variety of sources and will continue to use paperback swap as one of them. It's been a valuable source for me and I don't mind paying for it. I'm going to go a la carte for now, but may purchase a yearly plan eventually.

Bookmooch is run by losers, and I think they may charge a fee now as well.

You may think it's run by losers, but it does not charge a fee.  

The site layout leaves something to be desired, and the search functionality isn't great either unless you have an ISBN, but it works, and I get quite a lot of books through it (and get rid of lots of books - yay!)  I can't compare it with PaperBackSwap, since PBS is US only so I can't use it.

It's only 49 cents if you pay per swap. I use it once or twice a year if that and don't mind paying to use the service.

Yes, but the wishlist also gets cut to 100.  :cursing:

And not able to post on the forums...hmpf. Not that I visit the forums there often, but for the odd problem they've been helpful.

And they're really pushing the printable postage. I don't have a postage scale people, seriously.  :001_rolleyes:

Ok, one thing that interests me in the Standard Membership is being able to post books directly to friends' wish lists. (I'm assuming that also comes with credits, unlike now). If we WTM-PBS made up our own friend ring and passed around books to each other's wishlists - that could maybe be worth $20 to me.

Or, we could just keep doing what we do, and post things FFS in the classifieds....

Guest Ronnellsmom

I use bookmooch with some success.  It is easy to use, free and has a lot of books.  The quality of what's available isn't as good as paperback swap but it's a place to give away your books at least.

I'm trying a new one today called Whatsonmybookshelf.com

It looks promising.  :)  Same as the other two....post books, give away books, earn points, get books. 

What do you mean?

When you sign up for an account and use the site completely as it is intended and within the rules, you get locked out without warning, treated like a criminal, and get nasty messages making all sorts of wild accusations about your character when you try to get it resolved.

It's insane. After a few months of my account being "under review" with no action I washed my hands of them. I don't need to hang around that sort of negativity.

My advice to someone who wants to successfully become a member there, during the first three months:

DO NOT make a wishlist. Ignore the option to upload a list, Don't do it.

DO NOT request a book. Just don't.

DO NOT sign up at all if people previously lived at your address. They may have made an account. Who are you to say you aren't them?

DO NOT offer to send international. You simply can't be smart enough to do that.

In other words, be as invisible as possible. You might make it.  :001_rolleyes:

Just for buying used books, I like thriftbooks.com. Free shipping and great prices. And a very good selection.

Thank you for this recommendation! DD is currently reading a series that I didn't have any luck finding except new on Amazon, but there are used copies available at this site.

My advice to someone who wants to successfully become a member there, during the first three months:

DO NOT make a wishlist. Ignore the option to upload a list, Don't do it.

DO NOT request a book. Just don't.

DO NOT sign up at all if people previously lived at your address. They may have made an account. Who are you to say you aren't them?

DO NOT offer to send international. You simply can't be smart enough to do that.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I've done all the above, except have a previous occupant of my house hold an account, and had no problems.

I just closed my account.  I found most books I wanted had an incredibly long wait list.  By the time I pay for the shipping (and I usually did the printed one) plus whatever fees they charged for putting money on my PBS account and then whatever fees were added to the purchase of postage that I didn't come out any further ahead than I was before.  I'll just stick with Amazon Used and Half-Price Books.  I can not only get exactly what I want, but at least with Half Price Books, I can check out the book's condition first.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I've done all the above, except have a previous occupant of my house hold an account, and had no problems.

So there's no good reason I was summarily banned? The admin who told me I was a scammer was just lying? Even better!  <_<

On PBS I think I'll just keep my account going for my wishlist, and pay the fifty cents if something comes up. It would annoy me to put money in my account though, I've made it for years there without going through the hoops to stick my cash into their system.  

Just for buying used books, I like thriftbooks.com. Free shipping and great prices. And a very good selection.

Shoot, wish I had known this before I bought a pile of used books from Amazon. Even though, I guess either way buying used supports the little guy. I wish there was an easy way to share the books once I was done. We have a huge used bookstore here but they are so huge that they buy only a few books from the piles I take in. :(

• 3 weeks later...