Menu

How do you decorate your little girl room?(pictures added)

Elisabet1

Right now, it has lavender walls. And then the bed had old Hello Kitty sheets on it, which I might buy new soon. But beyond that, the walls are bare and they are lined with dolls on the ground and doll furnitures and all that stuff.

Do you put up posters? I see people seem to do wall stickies these days..do they work well? Maybe I should just do the glow in the dark stars? She is too short to reach the light switch so I think I am going to put a step stool there.

Not sure how good these are..the room is plain now....I love the paint though.post-75021-0-08592600-1422465108_thumb.jpegpost-75021-0-14778000-1422465109_thumb.jpegpost-75021-0-33313400-1422465110_thumb.jpeg

We had some stars on the ceiling for a while.

What I really wanted to do, and never did, was use a bit of picket fence on the lower part of the wall, painted white, and then paint some pretty flowers "behind" it. I even thought of taking her door off and adding picket fence on a hinge like a garden gate, or leaving the door on and adding the "gate" on the outside, like a screen door (you know, so we could open the door but have the picket/gate there still). I envisioned light green curtains and a reading corner covered by that pretty green "leaf" Ikea has, also. I always make a reading corner in my littles' rooms.

One thing I'm glad of--we did NOT put a ton of toys in the room as decorations. Too dusty, too much to "arrange," and too much for her to handle independently. YMMV.

We painted the girls' room sort of a dark teal/aqua and used wall decals of fish all over it to make it look a bit like being under water.  DD13 still has the fish there, but the nice thing about wall decals is that they are easy to remove and exchange for something a bit more "grown up" as they get older.

Right now, it has lavender walls. And then the bed had old Hello Kitty sheets on it, which I might buy new soon. But beyond that, the walls are bare and they are lined with dolls on the ground and doll furnitures and all that stuff.

Do you put up posters? I see people seem to do wall stickies these days..do they work well? Maybe I should just do the glow in the dark stars? She is too short to reach the light switch so I think I am going to put a step stool there.

When DD15 was ten she had lilac colored walls with Hello Kitty all over her room.  She also had glow in the dark stars on her ceiling (and DH took time to make her constellations).  Now her room is more muted but (and more of a lavender than lilac) but she still has some Hello Kitty sprinkled through (because apparently you never really outgrow Hello Kitty, or so I've been told).

How does your daughter want to decorate her room? I would let her have some input because that will really make it more her room.  DD15 had all the Hello Kitty stuff at ten because when that was what she wanted.

My Dd's room was pretty bare until her 4th birthday.  We redid both rooms that year.  Her room is painted pink.  We also needed to change her ceiling fan, so she picked out a pink ceiling fan.  She has a giant mirror on one small wall so she can see herself.  I added two pretty cheap throw rugs over the wood floors.  She has grey light-blocking curtains and I found some thick ribbon that we use to tie the curtains back.  She has two simple canvas paintings on her wall that were gifts.  She hung a picture of her dance class on the wall last year.  That's about it.  I wanted to decorate a giant letter for her name and hang that, but I never got around to it.  I also let her hang various drawings or certificates on the wall, within reason.  Some day I plan to hang something for her bows and her gymnastics medals and maybe a gymnastics decal.  That's about it.  But she has a good bit of furniture, a dollhouse, a kitchen, and a bookcase in the room.  It's pretty full, even without a lot on the walls.  The best I can say is that the room is very pink. 

She can't really talk yet, or reach the light switch even. She drug all the dolls in there. She loves Frozen and castles. But she loves everything I show her that is girly. The sheets are Hello Kitty, so they are hand me downs. But we just painted the walls.

Cute. Our DFD6 likes Elsa from Frozen. DD5 is more entertained by Olaf.

You could also hold off on doing a lot of decorating now and wait until she is a little older and more able to express what she wants. Or you could go with something low key now that you like and just be willing to change things in a few years as she grows.

We have an antique window with a decal of birds on a tree limb that is hanging on one wall, an assortment of canvases, pictures, etc on another wall, a ribbon holder above her bookshelf. 
We have a pink/bird theme going on right now and pink polkadot curtains. 

We'll be upgrading when she's out of her toddler bed, but will try to work around what we already have. 

Neutral walls and curtains. Pops of color and personality in bedding and accessories. Our girls' room has a Hello Kitty alarm clock and trash can. There are bits of pink and purple in accessories that tie it all together.  One of *my* favorite things in their room is a hot pink upholstered lidded stool---the inside is storage for toys.

I want our children to be able to pick up their rooms themselves....so duvet>quilt + top sheet, a few favorite toys > collections, and minimal accessories.  No kid wants to spend more than 5 minutes picking up their rooms, so we keep it easy to manage.

In my dd's room, we painted the walls yellow.  I used stencils and pink paint to put her name on one wall, and surrounded it with vinyl clings of animals.  I also hung a string wrapped in silver tinsel across the upper part of one wall and we use it to clip up her artwork.  She has dark pink thermal curtains, and on the floor on one side we laid the top of this huge coffee table (legs removed) that she uses as a desk/stage.

Cute. Our DFD6 likes Elsa from Frozen. DD5 is more entertained by Olaf.

You could also hold off on doing a lot of decorating now and wait until she is a little older and more able to express what she wants. Or you could go with something low key now that you like and just be willing to change things in a few years as she grows.

I was thinking maybe some posters or stick ons might be the way to go for now then. She is really in to Frozen, but how much longer can that last? It has been a year and at her age, I am wondering if she even remembers the movie! We did buy her a stuffed Olaf for the room. He is not in the pictures. She must have taken him somewhere.

If you do put up stars (we have glow in the dark constellations and a moon nightlight that changes phase), or even if you don't, take a look at these light switch extenders. Ours are moon-themed glow-in-the dark like the link but you can get other themes. Much safer and less bulky than stools in the bedroom and bathroom, and gives them independence:)

They just attach with safety screws to the light plate and extend the switch about a foot. They also remove easily with no issue.

http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=%2Fproduct%2Findex.jsp%3FproductId%3D34815056%26cagpspn%3Dplab_18398050%26camp%3DPLAPPCG-_-PID18398050%3ABRUS%26eESource%3DCAPLA_DF%3A34815056%3ATRUS&domain=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toysrus.com&productId=34815056&cagpspn=plab_18398050&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID18398050:BRUS&eESource=CAPLA_DF:34815056:TRUS

We love the peel and stick wall decals as well. There is a whole Frozen collection of them. Then when she is a bit older she can do a whole theme of her choice:)

If you want to put up posters, what about hanging a couple of bulletin boards? My girls share a room, so I spray painted the frames of two bulletin boards white and covered the cork part with a wrapping paper that coordinates with their bedding and walls. Now the bulletin boards look cute whether they have anything pinned on them or not.

Let's see....

Pink's room has been the same since she was born, with the exception of the bed lol. We will do it according to her taste when we move, which will hopefully happen in the next couple years.

It's dark brown to chair-rail height all the way around, pink on the rest. White trim. The pink is pretty bright - like pesto-bismol but it looks good, not nauseating lol. The brown tones it down I think.

We have the peel & stick things - flowers. Other than that on her walls: her initials, custom made to match her crib bedding (still matches her quilt now, which is white/pink/brown from PBK); a pet net, a super cute picture of her at 9 months where she's looking down - one of those 'eyelash shots' -in b&w; a shelf with pictures on it; a pegged 'coat rack' my grandpa made.

She has tons of her own artwork on the closet and main doors.

Her furniture is dark wood - I hate white. An old dresser from my ILs house and a trundle bed.

The curtain is hot pink and sparkly (she picked that last year) and she has a light brown cellular shade.

All our floors are hardwood, but each bedroom has a rug. Her room is the smallest, around 9x11, iirc. She has an off white frieze rug.

It's little girly and still suits her. She'll probably be ready for something new by the time we move, though. :)

Forgot to include:

She has a bookshelf in her closet for storage - toys, books, etc.

The ceiling fan in her room was pink when we moved in, which she's happy with lol.

Her sheets are My little pony.

DD's room is kind of shabby chic/Mary Engelbreit garden/nursery rhymes.

I have 4 square frames with ME illustrated nursery rhymes arranged in a square to form "window panes." There are shutters hanging on either side.

There is a small "distressed" blue/white table with a pink chair and an oval mirror to make a vanity.

I bought a pastel chalkboard-style framed print with the fruit of the Spirit from Hobby Lobby http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/fruit-of-the-spirit-chalkboard-framed-wall-art-688465/

Most of her toys are in one of these bin organizers: http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can-Do-Kids-Toy-Organizer-and-Storage-Bins-White/17108591

The rest, along with her books, are on white storage shelves DH built. Some are in baskets on the shelves.

I refinished an ugly green (but real wood) dresser so it is lavender/white distressed.

She has this lamp http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/YOURZONE-PL1058-Your-Zone-5-light-Floor-Lamp/21674362?type=search

There is a wooden bench that holds her stuffed animals. She unceremoniously dumps them on the floor when she wants to sit there.

I attached glittery letters spelling her name to her door with poster putty.

I found a plum-colored carpet that fills the room. Lavender light-blocking curtains.

Hmmm we are in the process of doing the girls' room too. The carpet is a tan color (it's what's in there and we are not changing that), the walls will be a light lavender color. Right now dd1's side is Frozen and dd2's will be owls and other forest friends. Dd2 is probably going to be our nature girl, dd1 is girly girl :)

I love walls!

Here are a few things I have done:

1. Wallpaper to match the bedding print to match the curtain print, etc. you know those rooms that have the one fine rose print decked out everywhere even the lamp shades? Whew, the pattern will wear one out.

2. Mural walls. One year I had the over the moon theme with hand painted murals. One of my favorites.

3. Wallpaper cut outs. Dd lived It's a small world ride at Disney. I took regular wallpaper to cut out all the building shapes which I then pasted to the walls. I also added the sparkle with tiny mirrors, metallic paint, etc. I hung hot air balloons and airplanes from the ceiling. This room was featured in a couple of design magazines.

4. My new favorite wall feature requires some Photoshop skills. I take photos and greatly enhance them via digital scrapbooking. These are then printed out on canvas. A little modge podge brushed on makes it look like real paintings. For example, I had DD pose on the sidewalk with her skateboard. The finished Photoshop picture looks like a random girl jumping out of a huge electric light show bowl on a stage all in colors to match her room. We also have a lot of fantasy art done with some of her dance photos.

5. My dad likes to tinker with wood projects. He has made some unbelievably cool bulletin board-like wall pieces for the teens. He is a master at cool ways to paint them and adds iron embellishments.

6. I am blessed to have a mom who oil paints. She can even do portraits. So we have some of those on kid walls, too.

The only thing I am consistent about in wall decor is sticking with a theme. If the theme and color scheme match, it stays. If kiddo wants something that clashes, then I tell him to wait until he buys his own house.