Menu

I'd like to go to NYC to see a show on Broadway... but don't have a clue... anyone BTDT?

FriedClams

This spring I'd like to go to see a show or two on Broadway. I travel a lot, but for some weird reason I am intimidated by NYC. If anyone has BTDT and has recommendations - I'd LOVE them. I'm planning on a mom and dd trip with my 13 year old.

I have a couple of travel options.

1!. Fly. I don't which airport or how to get from an airport to the city, but again, I travel a lot and with good suggestions am sure I can pull it off.

2. Drive. I have family in central MA and upstate NY, so I could start wicked early and drive down, park, spend a night, and drive back. Where to drive... where to park... It's all foreign to me!

I assume I'll need a hotel, even if I drive. Shows are at 8, so I can't see driving 3 hours back to MA after that. But - where to stay? I'm looking for: 1. safe, 2. affordable. Did I say safe?

Tickets... I was thinking the ticket place in Times Square so I don't have to be nailed down to a certain date... Good idea?

Thank you for any help or recommendations!!!!

There are often broadway bus tours that will drive in and out of the city for you. I live four hours away and I've seen some go from here. They leave early and return late, but the driving is taken care of.

My daughter has done high school field trips where they see two broadway shows in a day, so matinees are an option if you want to get out of the city earlier.

There are often broadway bus tours that will drive in and out of the city for you. I live four hours away and I've seen some go from here. They leave early and return late, but the driving is taken care of.

My daughter has done high school field trips where they see two broadway shows in a day, so matinees are an option if you want to get out of the city earlier.

I love this idea. Let someone else drive and you sleep on the way home. The Broadway is jammed with busses, very popular option. That would be my choice if I lved 3 hours away, even if I had to drive a bit to get to a bus. Or do a matinee if driving does not tire you. Can you go with another adul to share driving? That way you could spend money on tickets and not a hotel.

I would not fly, as it would take longer than driving. The two NYC airports for your type of flight would be Newark and La Guardia.

NYC hotels are expensive, but staying outside the city is a hassle transportation wise. Hopefully, someone can recommend a good hotel. I live too close to know, lol.

Actually, I just remembered a relative who stayed in the Robert Treat hotel in Newark, NJ. They have some good deals on rooms. I think the parking might be complimentary. Transportation to the city is great, free bus shuttle from hotel to RR station which takes you to Penn Station, close to Broadway.

Parking I can help with. By all means, check out best parking.com. You will see that rates vary wildly. I always print out out multiple coupons in case my first choice place is full. It is good to arrive well before curtain time, because garages can fill up. Allow time at the end of the evening to get your car. A lot of garages are multi level and the attendants bring the car up on an elevator, one.by.one.

Broadway is safe at night. The lights are so bright that it seems like daytime. And there are a gazillion people around. Plus lots of police. Broadway brings in tourist dollars and no one wants to jeopardize that.

My oldest and I just went in to see Caberet (with Emma Stone) this past Sunday.  We live in Northern NJ, were able to take the mid-town direct train right into Penn Station, then subways from Penn to near the theater.  

The train is definitely an easy option if you stay in NJ.  The price will vary depending on where you get on.  If you don't like the idea of the subway, it's super easy to get a cab outside Penn station.

I also drove in to see the View in November.  I had a friend coming with me who couldn't walk far.  It was morning rush hour so getting into the city was a bear but the drive up-town was very quick and easy.  We only made it on time because I made it uptown from the Lincoln Tunnel to the studio in about 10 minutes.  You do have to be a bit of an aggressive driver, or at least not a timid one.  I looked up the parking garage closest to the studio and printed out a coupon before we went.  Parking was $40 because we got in during their "early-bird" time.

I have driven to CT and stayed at a Marriott that is close to the Metro...then we take the Metro in and out of the city...mostly because I am scared of driving in the city and don't have the money to stay at the hotels there.  It has worked all 3 times we have gone to the city (including the day we finalized our son's adoption in the city).

I just want to say that I really, really hope you do this!  I've been wanting to take my older boy to a show for a while now. I live close enough that we could take a super early bus, spend the day, see the play, stay over night and come back on a bus.  But, I have been totally intimidated about getting tickets. Because it's my son I want to see specific shows (a musical with DANCING) and I just get overwhelmed.

So, I say Go For It. Be a good role model :lol:

Bradley is not anywhere near where you could take a train into the city.  I live in CT and drive about 45 minutes South/Southwest to take a train that takes about an hour and a half to get into Grand Central.  Bradley is another hour and a half Northeast of me.  If you are only visiting NY you are better flying into JFK or Laguardia.

I have driven to CT and stayed at a Marriott that is close to the Metro...then we take the Metro in and out of the city...mostly because I am scared of driving in the city and don't have the money to stay at the hotels there. It has worked all 3 times we have gone to the city (including the day we finalized our son's adoption in the city).

Where in CT did you stay? What town? I think this is totally doable!!

Where in CT did you stay? What town? I think this is totally doable!!

Not the poster that you asked, but I remembered a hotel in CT. I am familiar with it from chess tournaments, but have not stayed there. The Stamford Sheraton is with walking distance of train station (well, late at night a taxi would be better). Chess rates are $99 per night, so I guess regular would be a bit more. I think it has free parking. I looked at the website and right now they have 3 nights for the price of 2.

You'd be a train ride of an hour or so from Broadway. Most trains go to Grand Central Station, but some go to Penn Station, which is much closer to Broadway. Although there is a simple subway called the Shuttle that goes back and forth between Grand Central and Times Square, which is the theater area. It is considered a safe subway, because it has lots of people, police presence, etc. Btw, Grand Centeal Station has been restored and is absolutely gorgeous, a destination on its own, full of food markets and restaurants at all price levels. Check it out on Google images -- my dc love it. It has been featured in a lot of movies and TV shows, and kids often like that.

Penn Station, by contrast, is a rat and cockroach infested dump. And that is being polite. There was a beautiful Beaux Arts station until it was razed in the 1960's.

I have stayed at Marriott at Newark airport. It is right on airport property, about a 2 minute shuttle ride.

You can get bus at airport that takes you to Port Authority bus terminal in NYC. It took about 20 minutes ( with traffic). It super easy and you can buy ticket on the bus.

I think this may be my plan. Newark is an easy airport and I'd prefer not to drive at all. I grew up in Boston and have lived in New Orleans, so I'm not a city rookie.... It's just New York! LOL!!!

Bradley is not anywhere near where you could take a train into the city.  I live in CT and drive about 45 minutes South/Southwest to take a train that takes about an hour and a half to get into Grand Central.  Bradley is another hour and a half Northeast of me.  If you are only visiting NY you are better flying into JFK or Laguardia.

That's what I was thinking.  I lived fairly close to Bradley.  There is Connecticut Limo.  I think they do go to places like Grand Central Station.  (Limo being a bit misleading because although they do have limos they are also a bus company.)

Bradley isn't anywhere near NYC (it's actually between Hartford and Springfield, on the MA side of the border).  The White Plains airport is much closer but there isn't a good transport link between.  The New Haven train line is a reasonable option and stops in Stamford if you end up wanting to stay there (see below).

If you drive all the way in (which is what we do), there are loads of garages near the theaters -- figure out where you're going, and find a garage with a coupon nearby.

If you stay in the city, there's an Element (Sheraton's Homewood Suites-like chain, with suites with kitchens) that's boring but right in the area and with reasonable rates.  For super special events we've stayed here, pricier but really neat vibe and right in the neighborhood (also has suites with kitchens).

Depending on what day you're going in and what you want to see, TKTS is GREAT.  But if you want to see something relatively new (Curious Incident) or a blockbuster (Book of Mormon, Wicked, Lion King even after all these years) or on a Saturday, you may well end up disappointed.  TKTS is for the flexible.

Matinees are rarely sold out (Sun and Sun; some shows have Weds as well).  Many theaters are dark on Monday.

If driving/staying in the city sounds too crazy-making, you can park in Stamford CT, take the train in, and stay close to the station -- someone mentioned the Sheraton upthread; there's also a Hyatt right by the station.  Or drive in, park for the show, and return to sleep somewhere like White Plains (~35 minutes from midtown)-- a bazillion hotels in that area.

But really the city isn't scary...   :laugh: ...and there are loads of museums / exhibits / restaurants you could enjoy the second day!

Have fun!

LOL

I think going to JFK would make more sense and there are various shuttles to the city. 

Yeah, White Plains makes no sense at all if your destination is in the city -- LaGuardia / JFK / Kennedy all have public transport links in.  

WP is beautiful for people like us in Westchester or CT because we don't have to cross a bridge to get there, so the traffic is reliable.   We missed a plane at JFK once because it took 3.5 hours to get there (without traffic = 55 minutes).   :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

Yeah, White Plains makes no sense at all if your destination is in the city -- LaGuardia / JFK / Kennedy all have public transport links in.  

WP is beautiful for people like us in Westchester or CT because we don't have to cross a bridge to get there, so the traffic is reliable.   We missed a plane at JFK once because it took 3.5 hours to get there (without traffic = 55 minutes).   :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

Oh yeah.  Back in the day I took CT Limo from Farmington to JFK.  I always left insanely early so as to not miss my flights.  I usually ended up waiting a long time, but there were times when it took 4 hours to get to JFK. 

So.... I am reporting back...

OH.MY.WORD!!!!

It was awesome!!!!!! We're actually on our way home...slightly stranded in Cincinnati (hope to catch an afternoon flight out) and SO THRILLED to have gotten or of Newark this morning. Super thrilled!!!

We intended to go to Newark, but flew in to LaGuardia... $14/each for Airport Transit bus to Port Authority Bus station in Manhattan. Took about an hour on the bus.

Walked to the Gershwin - bought tickets - pizza around the corner... and then to see Wicked.

It.was.amazing.

Perfect!!!!!

Amazing.

We walked around Times Square and then back to Port Authority to catch the bus to Newark. $5/each (military, normally $13/each).

Only slight hiccup - Newark airport. Wow. Had to take the train to catch the shuttle to the hotel. Train took awhile... Hotel shuttle took forever to arrive, so I was glad we did 1 show instead of 2.

Hotel was great (used Hotwire - $75/night at the airport for a very nice, safe hotel).

Shuttle to the airport this morning...super simple...totally doable...

THANK YOU for helping me be Mom of the Year to the coolest low maintenance DD ever. She's the bomb and I'm so grateful we could do this.

We'll «««definitely»»» do this again!!!! Changes?

Stage out of La Guardia instead of Newark.

Wear walkable shoes....not Uggs... my legs are killing me. :-)

No Broadway shows on Monday, so I'd consider that next trip.

Thank you hive!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

So.... I am reporting back...

OH.MY.WORD!!!!

It was awesome!!!!!! We're actually on our way home...slightly stranded in Cincinnati (hope to catch an afternoon flight out) and SO THRILLED to have gotten or of Newark this morning. Super thrilled!!!

We intended to go to Newark, but flew in to LaGuardia... $14/each for Airport Transit bus to Port Authority Bus station in Manhattan. Took about an hour on the bus.

Walked to the Gershwin - bought tickets - pizza around the corner... and then to see Wicked.

It.was.amazing.

Perfect!!!!!

Amazing.

We walked around Times Square and then back to Port Authority to catch the bus to Newark. $5/each (military, normally $13/each).

Only slight hiccup - Newark airport. Wow. Had to take the train to catch the shuttle to the hotel. Train took awhile... Hotel shuttle took forever to arrive, so I was glad we did 1 show instead of 2.

Hotel was great (used Hotwire - $75/night at the airport for a very nice, safe hotel).

Shuttle to the airport this morning...super simple...totally doable...

THANK YOU for helping me be Mom of the Year to the coolest low maintenance DD ever. She's the bomb and I'm so grateful we could do this.

We'll «««definitely»»» do this again!!!! Changes?

Stage out of La Guardia instead of Newark.

Wear walkable shoes....not Uggs... my legs are killing me. :-)

No Broadway shows on Monday, so I'd consider that next trip.

Thank you hive!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Wow, a $75 hotel, amazing! So glad you had a good time.

Get out before the blizzard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newark is sounding like a better place to be in terms of snow. When is your flight?

IF you think your flight could be cancelled, you might want to consider paying for another night, in case you can't get out. I hope you are leaving this morning, rather than later.

Wow, a $75 hotel, amazing! So glad you had a good time.

Get out before the blizzard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newark is sounding like a better place to be in terms of snow. When is your flight?

IF you think your flight could be cancelled, you might want to consider paying for another night, in case you can't get out. I hope you are leaving this morning, rather than later.

We made it out this morning...barely!! I'm praying for everyone still up there as they face the weather. Stay safe!!!!