Menu

BEST $ investments towards learning geography?

So...now that the Highlights Top Secret Adventures magazine has got my wheels turning again...and tempted me towards yet another purchase...

What are the best investments you have made toward learning geography? Thinking games, books, puzzles, toys, etc. 

The kids are fascinated by *so* many different countries. I'm really wanting something that helps us learn (experience, if that's possible) as many countries of the world as possible...and love doing it! 

I have looked at Highlights' Top Secret Adventures magazine series, their game, the 10 Days in... games carried by Sonlight, etc. I don't have the $ to just buy whatever I think looks like fun...so, once again, I turn to the Hive. :)

What have you used that is fun?

What have you used that has taught you the most?

What have you used that has failed to be fun and/or educational? 

My kids are young, so that rules some things out...but they are strong readers & we love games... :)

Thoughts?

Hands down our best bang for the buck geography tool has been map placemats. Painless Learning has a wide selection. We often end up talking geography at the dinner table, they are very convenient when a place comes up in conversation or curriculum, etc. Good times.

The Leapfrog Odyssey Talking Globe

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Enterprises-40002-LeapFrog%C2%AE-Explorer/dp/B00005BYPA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422026845&sr=8-2&keywords=leapfrog+odyssey+talking+globe

And host a local competition for the National Geographic Geography Bee. :)

Grades 4-8, minimum 6 homeschooled kids, following their rules . . . but it feeds to the State Bee & then the National Bee in Wash DC.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/geobee/

If I could rewind 5-7 years to when we had the same age lineup as you do now, I would buy one atlas, a stack of tracing paper, and a set of wall maps or a globe. Our best experiences have come through our atlas and maps....and a lot of watching documentaries, travel shows, and other PBS kinds of things. We've also made a lot of great food and tried a bunch of sweets from the various ethnic markets in our area.

In the dream world where I had lots of space to store everything and an endless budget, I'd be all over continent boxes.  With the age range you have, you might look at that and all of the free printables out there....

We have a couple of geopuzzles. Fun, but the kids played with them once.

We have a talking globe. They played with it a few times for probably an hour total.

We tried a salt map a couple of times. My kids were extremely frustrated by the process.

Map placements lasted for a while, but no one looked at them.

Faces magazine went over really well.

We have a lot of stuff, but some of the best things were free.

Top pick for learning locations is Sheppard Software. Imo, nothing beats these addictive games. For kids who can read and use a mouse.

Videos. Our current favorite is Aerial America, but we have enjoyed many others online and from library. Michael Palin is fun for older kids. Ditto BBC Atlas of the Natural World. We used videos to practice note taking skills -- emphasizing jotting down a few pertinent facts, not recording everything, lol.

Purchased:

Outline Maps. We like Homeschool in the Woods and Geography Matters, but there are lots for free online. Kids can fill in details when watching videos.

Atlas. We have a number of kid atlases, all good.

Bobbie Kalman's Lands, Peoples, Cultures series.

Globe, ordinary, inexpensive. I have purchased old, slightly out of date globes at church fairs. They work just fine for young kids who are not scrutinizing every detail.

Evan Moor Daily Geography. Or any other map focussed book.scholastic has some great books for K level.

We also go to ethnic festivals and restaurants.

Cub and Boy Scout books on mapping, compass, etc.

Own, but do not use much:

Various geography games

Apps like Barefoot Atlas, Atlas by Collins. Barefoot Atlas is for kids, perhaps upper elementary?

I remember considering a talking globe, but I realized it would either get broken quickly, or I would be guarding it., lol.

We do Core Knowledge curriculum, which has a country study or two every year. I liked doing a few things in more depth. You can find some of the topics free online at the CK website.

For early elementary, we loved Jack Knowlton's Maps & Globes, and Geography From A to Z., suggested by CK. Rebecca Rupp's recommended As the Crow Flies -- we liked it, but did not find it got as mech repeated use as the Knowlton's books.

Janet VanCleeve's Geography is excellent (older kids)

I like to define geography broadly, so that we include physical geography, mapping, cultural geography, etc. We have done units on rivers and mountains (Core Knowledge again), for example. Used road maps, trail maps, weather maps. Nothing exhaustive, but at least an introduction to many topics.

I never got around to this, but one curriculum (Five In a Row?) suggested having a map and putting locations of stories. It would have been wonderful to have a map with a little pix of Madeline in Paris, Eloise in New York, Paddington in London, and so on.... I really regret not doing this.

Montessori puzzle maps, and the teachings that go with them.

Nice globe.

Placemats.

A wall map--NOT in the hall but where it's seen and where you can interact with it.

We had a nice US map and we put stickers on all the places where relatives and friends lived. Those connections made it more meaningful.

And I'll put in a plug for SOTW--the activity guide maps and constant review of different lands helped so much in learning the "hows and whys" of geography. Geog is more than just naming places--it's also about how the land and water forms shaped human history.

We covered our table in clear plastic and stuck a world map underneath. As far as actually learning country names ect, that's been our biggest help. We end up talking about geography over dinner, especially when guests are over they love to tell the kids about travels ect. And it's there for easy reference in other subjects.

We've also loved our geopuzzle. But I think the map has done more.

As far as cultural knowledge we've been slowly, over a year, building continent boxes. I purchased photo boxes, a small book on each continent, and a toob for each continent (generally animals, though Europe is mostly landmarks). The kids add in knock knacks like chopsticks for Asia, crafts like beaded jewelry for Africa, tiny 1/4 size lap books they've created on local food, landmarks, language, whatever has interested them, oh yeah, and local money they beg off relatives. It's been so much fun and I can see us adding to them and pulling them out for perusal for years.