Menu

Human Odyssey vs History Odyssey

In planning out the 7th->APUSH sequence I have read through probably 50 threads and somehow I'm just now noticing that I've probably mixed up the two HO's in my notes.

<sigh> must they pick such similar names?

Both appear to be geared for middle-grades, though I gather History Odyssey lvl2 is aimed slightly higher?

Has anyone got a comparison between Human Odyssey and History Odyssey lvl2 for 7th-9th?

There are actually three. :)

History Odyssey - Pandia Press

This is a lesson plan that includes writing assignments, literature assignments, mapping assignments, etc. You must yourself gather together a listed set of books.

Human Odyssey - K12

This is a set of three text books geared toward junior high school.

Human Odyssey - Spielvogel

This is a high school level world history text often used by WTM members.

We actually use the k12 Human Odyssey chapters along with Pandia Press's History Odyssey for the middle grades. History Odyssey calls for Kingfisher and Story of Mankind as the spines, but my daughter didn't like Story of Mankind. So I got one of the k12 Human Odyssey volumes and in place of SoM chapters, we use the applicable Human Odyssey chapters, and she likes this much better. It's pretty readable and interesting, and then History Odyssey gives writing and research assignments based on it. I like the two together because History Odyssey has the kids digging into the "why" of history a bit more.

K12's Human Odyssey is actually not scheduled sequentially. Their sequence is as follows:

7th: Intermediate World History A (HO Vol. 1)

8th: Intermediate World History B (HO Vol. 2)

9th: World History (Our Human Story)

10th: Modern World Studies (HO Vol. 3)

11th: US History (American Odyssey)

12th: Government, and I think Economics (online content only)

We used Human Odyssey Vol. 1 last year and are in the middle of Vol. 2 this year. There is a good bit of map work included, and even more if you use the online component and/or student pages. It has been wonderful and we've both (happily!) learned so much.

K12's Human Odyssey is actually not scheduled sequentially. Their sequence is as follows:

7th: Intermediate World History A (HO Vol. 1)

8th: Intermediate World History B (HO Vol. 2)

9th: World History (Our Human Story)

10th: Modern World Studies (HO Vol. 3)

11th: US History (American Odyssey)

12th: Government, and I think Economics (online content only)

We used Human Odyssey Vol. 1 last year and are in the middle of Vol. 2 this year. There is a good bit of map work included, and even more if you use the online component and/or student pages. It has been wonderful and we've both (happily!) learned so much.

Tell me more about the online component of K12 HO, if you will. I'm pretty confused about what it includes, even though I own the text book and the student pages. Also, what does it cost? How much time does your student devote to it daily/weekly? My child would be using Intermediate World History A as a 6th grader/11 year-old. She is a strong reader/writer and has completed SOTW Vol. 1-4, so she has a firm history foundation. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Not to throw in another wrench, but we have been using a combo of K12 Human Odyssey (just vol 1 book, no online component) and the World in Ancient Times series from OUP. Both are at a great level for my bright 5th grader. However, we both find OUP to be much more in depth and much more engaging and interesting. In fact, I like OUP so much that I often use bits of them as read aloud.

Human Odyssey is a strong and interesting textbook, but we just prefer OUP. We have completed all of part 1 in vol 1 of HO and 4 of the volumes of OUP. In both this covers through ancient India.

We do the same as Happypamama.......

We are using History Odyssey Level2 Middle Ages with the reading schedule for K12 Human Odyssey texts:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzH_Xr_bjr-yY0UxQmNUVFQ2ZGc/preview?pli=1

Help me understand this chart. Is it both K12 HO 1 & 2?

ETA, okay I looked it over and see it's the last part of K12HO 1. I have K12HO 2, and it looks like the first section (about 200 pages) could be incorporated, as well. The rest of it is OUP Europe in the Middle Ages?

Has anyone tried to use Van Loon's? I hate to spend all that money and then rewrite the plan, especially since the main Pandia sale for the year is passed. I really need open and go for next year :o).

Thanks!

Not to throw in another wrench, but we have been using a combo of K12 Human Odyssey (just vol 1 book, no online component) and the World in Ancient Times series from OUP. Both are at a great level for my bright 5th grader. However, we both find OUP to be much more in depth and much more engaging and interesting. In fact, I like OUP so much that I often use bits of them as read aloud.

Human Odyssey is a strong and interesting textbook, but we just prefer OUP. We have completed all of part 1 in vol 1 of HO and 4 of the volumes of OUP. In both this covers through ancient India.

(I wish multi-quote was working. Please excuse sequential posts.)

We used Human Odyssey volume 1 in combination with OUP The World in Ancient Times series.

We used Human Odyssey volume 2 in combination with the OUP Medieval and Early Modern World series.

(Nothing from OUP corresponded well with Human Odyssey volume 3, but I found some great narrative nonfiction to accompany it.)

And last year we used American Odyssey with the OUP Pages from History series, the ones that were US-centric. Pages from History are definitely high school level, both in difficulty, vocabulary, and content.

In hindsight, dd could have used some of the non-US Pages from History books the previous year with Human Odyssey 3. I hadn't found them then.

About Human Odyssey, yes there are volumes 1 2 and 3 for world history, but there is also an American history book. Maybe US history is high school level, though?

K12 as an online provider uses American Odyssey as a high school class (11th grade, I believe).

We used American Odyssey in 8th grade. I would classify the book as high school level but for early grades as honors or later grades as on-level. Dd would do well on the SAT subject test for American history after American Odyssey. AP US History would require either a different text or heavy supplementation.

OP, dd and I have a low tolerance for busy work. We define busy work as reading comprehension questions, timelines, and activities such as poster making. The Human Odyssey books were chosen precisely because they did not contain any inane end-of-chapter questions and activities. We were able to just read and discuss, to go as deeply into a subject as she wished or to skim lightly over a subject she didn't care for. After all, this was middle school :)

We began homeschooling in fifth grade, the year we used Human Odyssey volume 1. She wanted to stay far away from anything that was like a school textbook!

Our history/social science progression to date:

5th: Human Odyssey vol 1, Oxford University Press The World in Ancient Times

6th: Human Odyssey vol 2, Oxford University Press Medieval and Early Modern World

7th: Human Odyssey vol 3, various narrative nonfiction books (there's a list somewhere on this site!)

7th: a full credit of world geography loosely based on the high school level of Trail Guide to World Geography plus videos

8th: American Odyssey, Oxford University Press Pages from History

9th: ancient world history using History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective (The Great Courses series), library nonfiction for each civilization

9th: AP Human Geography (I am teaching a small class with a syllabus approved by the College Board so it can be called AP on dd's transcript.)

Next year (10th) will either be a chronological continuation of history OR ancient history focusing on one or two particular civilizations (like a college course). Dd also wants to study AP Psychology next year.

Btw, we have an excellent library system. All of the OUP books came from the library :)

Tell me more about the online component of K12 HO, if you will. I'm pretty confused about what it includes, even though I own the text book and the student pages. Also, what does it cost? How much time does your student devote to it daily/weekly? My child would be using Intermediate World History A as a 6th grader/11 year-old. She is a strong reader/writer and has completed SOTW Vol. 1-4, so she has a firm history foundation. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

The online component has extra explorations including map work and art, and has daily quizzes and unit tests. Sometimes there are reviews and games. Ultimately it added a lot of extra work and was annoying to use, because the order of things was not clear online and you have to go back and forth between the book, website, and student pages. DS has excellent comprehension through reading and was burning out on the extra work, and it made him hate history. So we didn't buy the next year of access and he's been so much happier just reading and discussing with me, with occasional compare/contrast writing assignments. I still use the teacher pages to help guide the discussion, and sometimes it refers to online content that I Google because it is worth including.

You can purchase the individual course through k12, either month-to-month or for 12-month access. If you finish the course before hghf 12 months are up, they can give you access to a different class.

I am doing HO w/ HO :huh:   I really hike History Odyssey for a good outline, timeline, and mapwork.  I got the book by VanLoon at the library, but DD and I both agreed it wasn't that great after reading the first few chapters.  I read here that several people were using Human Odyssey instead, and we decided to do that.  It hasn't been hard getting the chapters to line up.  I have several younger ones, so I read parts aloud, and show them the pictures of anything I feel is important.  The older one can go back and read more if there are parts I skipped for the youngers, that I want her to know.  I am new at this, and I don't think I could do it without the History Odyssey.  It's my guide for what I am supposed to be making sure they learn.  My 4th and 6th graders do all of it, while the youngers just do the parts I think they will find interesting.  We make lapbook pages if I don't have a specific printed out page for them to color.  I like it so much that I went ahead and bought Middle Ages at the sale on Black Friday!  I also use SOTW to read aloud, and it does take a little more skipping around!  I'm trying to teach kids from 1st-6th (and a 3 year old who insists on coloring nad making her own history lapbook) so I have a wide range of depth.  I have had them read a lot of the books from Beautiful Feet's list, too.  It might be a little dull if you only had the textbook.

Oh, I really, really needed this thread right now. Luckymama, I swear I have asked you this in the past, but I can't remember what you've said. Do you have a shareable set of your lesson plans for this?

6th: Human Odyssey vol 2, Oxford University Press Medieval and Early Modern World

I see your others, but either I'm not seeing this or it doesn't exist.

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else who contributed. I had no idea one could sub in K12 HO for Van Loon in the Pandia plans! Now I need to go look at them...

• 3 weeks later...

OP, dd and I have a low tolerance for busy work. We define busy work as reading comprehension questions, timelines, and activities such as poster making. The Human Odyssey books were chosen precisely because they did not contain any inane end-of-chapter questions and activities. We were able to just read and discuss, to go as deeply into a subject as she wished or to skim lightly over a subject she didn't care for. After all, this was middle school :)

We began homeschooling in fifth grade, the year we used Human Odyssey volume 1. She wanted to stay far away from anything that was like a school textbook!

Our history/social science progression to date:

5th: Human Odyssey vol 1, Oxford University Press The World in Ancient Times

7th: Human Odyssey vol 3, various narrative nonfiction books (there's a list somewhere on this site!)

7th: a full credit of world geography loosely based on the high school level of Trail Guide to World Geography plus videos

8th: American Odyssey, Oxford University Press Pages from History

9th: ancient world history using History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective (The Great Courses series), library nonfiction for each civilization

9th: AP Human Geography (I am teaching a small class with a syllabus approved by the College Board so it can be called AP on dd's transcript.)

Next year (10th) will either be a chronological continuation of history OR ancient history focusing on one or two particular civilizations (like a college course). Dd also wants to study AP Psychology next year.

Btw, we have an excellent library system. All of the OUP books came from the library :)

Luckymama,

Do you mind sharing your plan and schedule for Human Odyssey 2? I just ordered it to follow another history program with Middle Ages. Thank you!!!

Luckymama,

Do you mind sharing your plan and schedule for Human Odyssey 2? I just ordered it to follow another history program with Middle Ages. Thank you!!!

That was the year my dad died. I never copied my on-paper plans onto the computer :( I had meant to do that last summer but never got around to it.

I promise that is on my running to-do list :)