Menu

Stop in here if interested in attending a South Central PA Hive get together

creekland

A few of us have mentioned this in a couple of other threads.

If you're interested in a South Central PA (or perhaps Northern MD) get together to get to actually SEE/MEET each other IRL, add a post in here AND let me know if later in Jan or sometime in March works better for you.  (Feb does NOT work for me.)  Suggestions for locations would be nice too.  I guess this also depends upon whether folks are bringing kids or not (fine by me, so it should at least be kid friendly).

Hickory Falls outside of Hanover comes to mind as an option (my kids meet friends here for Laser Tag), but it's not quite as "free" as I'd like it for those with kids who want to play, etc.  If enough were to want to come, I could see about group discounts.  I'm also open to other areas to meet - esp if they are free so no one need worry about budget.

http://hickoryfalls.com/

I'm empty nesting - but still working fairly often at school, so after school hours or weekends work best for me.  On some days I can work around this.

Add ANY preferences or suggestions to your post and we'll see what we can come up with!

March 7th would be a Saturday... or March 8th in the afternoon? The weather could easily be better than late Jan.

Well, I don't know about that date. My calendar shows that we'll be preparing for Pi day then. Gotta make plans for the festivities you know.

Nah, just kidding, I'm sure I can work a meeting with fellow hivers around all our Pi Day planning. I'm in.

I held my 40th Birthday Laser Tag party at Hickory Falls. Maybe we could ask for a private room--pretend to celebrate someone's birthday? Then we can have a semi-quiet place set aside for us to talk, though it would cost money, so maybe not.

I will brainstorm other places. Perhaps the church where we hold our co-op would work (but not for Sunday). They have a huge gym for running around and a play area for the littles (it's like a McDonald's type play area with slides and ball pits and such.) It's in Littlestown. Should I bother asking them if the facility is available? It would be free as long as we clean up after ourselves.

I love this idea.  It's only about 1.5 hrs from me in MD.  Maybe less.  Jan. is better for me.  March is tricky.  Unless it's mid-week.   Are you talking weekends or weekdays?

I'm not really a PA person, so I'll watch from a distance.  These things always seem so fun to do but then I'll prob. chicken out when the time gets close.

Well, I don't know about that date. My calendar shows that we'll be preparing for Pi day then. Gotta make plans for the festivities you know.

Nah, just kidding, I'm sure I can work a meeting with fellow hivers around all our Pi Day planning. I'm in.

I held my 40th Birthday Laser Tag party at Hickory Falls. Maybe we could ask for a private room--pretend to celebrate someone's birthday? Then we can have a semi-quiet place set aside for us to talk, though it would cost money, so maybe not.

I will brainstorm other places. Perhaps the church where we hold our co-op would work (but not for Sunday). They have a huge gym for running around and a play area for the littles (it's like a McDonald's type play area with slides and ball pits and such.) It's in Littlestown. Should I bother asking them if the facility is available? It would be free as long as we clean up after ourselves.

We could combine activities and you could just bring the pi(es) you make.  ;)

I could go with the church setting or Hickory Falls.  Those coming would have to vote their preferences.  Since March works better for most, March 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th would work for me.  Those are Sat - Wed.  Or anytime after March 23rd.  In between is middle son's Spring Break and we're debating joining him in Haiti - not sure the $$ will be there - but I'd hate to plan anything messing up our options.  The earlier dates are youngest son's Spring Break, but I believe he's just coming home.

As you mentioned, Sun would not work for the church, nor would Sun morning work for me.  I think Hickory Falls would be open any day, but it would have a cost and they don't allow food brought in (except cake).  

There can still be other suggestions too.

With people driving, I think noon or a little later would probably work best.

Cupcake/kilt photos?  I can admire, but I'll admit to not having any. 

Thoughts folks?

If, in the meantime, I get elected Grand Pumba of the Universe (from powers that be beyond just the Hive!), I'd make airfare free for anyone wanting to attend!  Or if we win the lottery.  There's a problem with the latter that we don't actually play, so I'd need to find the winning ticket...

I'd prefer if people didn't chicken out... I have no problems being alone with my thoughts, but arriving somewhere expecting a small (or medium sized) group and being the only one (or two) there could give someone self-esteem issues.

We could combine activities and you could just bring the pi(es) you make. ;)

I could go with the church setting or Hickory Falls. Those coming would have to vote their preferences. Since March works better for most, March 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th would work for me. Those are Sat - Wed. Or anytime after March 23rd. .

I cannot do March 7. It's the state Science Olympiad competition.

Oh this sounds fantastic!  If you wait till March you will all get to see an adorable little newborn!  I'm due in the beginning of Feb, so no late January plans are being made.  I'd probably leave the other kids behind since they're so little and I'd hate to be wrangling my toddler around the entire time.

March 9th (M) or 11th (W) would narrow it down.  Looking at my schedule, it could also be March 12th (Th).

Cupcakes?  I don't have a sweet tooth... but I could bring chips or cheese & crackers and just admire the cupcakes.   ;)

I could do those dates as my dd will be on maternity leave and I won't be wrangling a toddler either.    Weekends are not as good for me as it fills up quicky with family activities.  But, I know it's harder for others to do weekdays with homeschool and little kids to deal with (naps, etc.).  It's nice to have some mommy time, but that's not usually possible during the week for most everyone else.

On a weather note: I think you're a little crazy to choose early March in southern PA/northern MD. (Ice storms, snow and at least freezing temperatures are what I think is the norm for the area, but I'm not even included in the guest list so....) :leaving:

You're included!  Everyone is included!  You just have to get here...

Early March is actually usually a good time.  We tend to start planting our garden sometime shortly after the 15th -20th of March.  If broccoli and other cold hardy plants aren't in early we deal with more caterpillars (since we grow organically in our garden).

There could always be a storm, of course.  We might want to assign a weather committee - or have a snow date as a 2nd choice.

The 7th or 8th would probably work for me, because then I wouldn't have to bring my entire crew. Or if a weekday during the day was better for everyone, we could make it work too, since my littles are up for anything, and my big two will be happy if Garga's kids are there, even if they're nervous about meeting other new friends. Garga's church is indeed very nice for the kids. Of the weekdays mentioned, the 12th would work for us easily.

Despite living here for eight years, I actually don't know the area that all well, so I can't really suggest anywhere to meet, but I'll drive wherever.

March 9th (M) or 11th (W) would narrow it down. Looking at my schedule, it could also be March 12th (Th).

Cupcakes? I don't have a sweet tooth... but I could bring chips or cheese & crackers and just admire the cupcakes. ;)

March 9 would almost certainly work for me. I could even bring actual cupcakes. Hersheys Perfect Chocolate Cake. So good. And that even makes complete sense for PA people ;)

Also, I will say I am very reliable. If I say I will come, I will come unless nuclear war breaks out or someone has Rotovirus.

9th(M) or 12th(Th)?  Is there anyone for which one day or the other is better/worse?

Kids are definitely welcome to come.  We might even promise not to quiz them.   :lol:

Would Garga's church be ok for everyone or should we look elsewhere?  (FWIW, I've never been to Garga's church, but am not opposed to meeting there - or anywhere within a hour's drive or so.)

Noon to maybe 3pm and people could stop by or leave as fits their schedule?  

No official meal, but we could bring things to share IF we wanted to?  (And/or bring our own snacks if on any specific diet?)

This is all still at the brainstorming stage to see what works (or doesn't).  I'd like to see/meet as many of y'all as can make it, so don't want to get hung up on any small detail (like meeting at the church or food - or threatening to quiz the kids who show up).

I've thought just a tad of inviting everyone here, but seriously, my one bathroom old house that I don't take pride in cleaning is probably not the best spot.  If it were summer(ish) and we could mainly be outside letting the kids fish in the pond and/or pet the ponies it might be different.

Okay, I think Central PA is too darn big, very confusing. I got excited seeing this because I'm in Central PA, but we're 2.5 hours away from Hickory Falls. Oh well, back to homeschool oblivion in Altoona :) Have fun!

We'll miss you... but I completely understand.

For anyone reading and wondering, we're talking quite near the MD border - esp if we meet in Littlestown (you can google that) or Hickory Falls in Hanover.  I live a few miles north of Hanover.  

For those seriously (or half-heartedly) considering flying in, either Harrisburg (MDT) or Baltimore (BWI) are our airports of choice.   :coolgleamA:   Some cheap airlines fly to each...

These locations are east of Gettysburg and not far from Harper's Ferry or Antietam if one were to want to combine with with a homeschooling field trip.  Then too, it only takes an hour and a half or so to be in Baltimore or DC.

9th(M) or 12th(Th)? Is there anyone for which one day or the other is better/worse?

Kids are definitely welcome to come. We might even promise not to quiz them. :lol:

Would Garga's church be ok for everyone or should we look elsewhere? (FWIW, I've never been to Garga's church, but am not opposed to meeting there - or anywhere within a hour's drive or so.)

Noon to maybe 3pm and people could stop by or leave as fits their schedule?

No official meal, but we could bring things to share IF we wanted to? (And/or bring our own snacks if on any specific diet?)

This is all still at the brainstorming stage to see what works (or doesn't). I'd like to see/meet as many of y'all as can make it, so don't want to get hung up on any small detail (like meeting at the church or food - or threatening to quiz the kids who show up).

I've thought just a tad of inviting everyone here, but seriously, my one bathroom old house that I don't take pride in cleaning is probably not the best spot. If it were summer(ish) and we could mainly be outside letting the kids fish in the pond and/or pet the ponies it might be different.

Monday is better for me than Thur; I work on Thurs, not that I can't rework my schedule if need be; just easier if it's a Monday. If we're bringing kids, ds10 would come. My teens are in B&M school.

I might make a tee shirt at Café Press with "Quill" on it, so it will be easier to spot me as a fellow WTMer. (Okay, secretly, I always wanted to do this to attend a HS conference!)

I think for a bunch of cyber-friends, a public meeting place is preferable to any of our homes anyway, but I would be up for creeks and ponies if more meet-ups happen in the future. Our property is pretty decent for outside exploring too.

It sounds like Thursday is working better for people (Quill, I do hope you could work around it!), but I'm guessing we ought to see what Garga's church thinks.  If that didn't work out, then I'd see what other options could work (suggestions welcome!).

I also found out I'm still getting forgetful.  THAT week is the week middle son is planning on being in Haiti.  There's no way we could join him that week (too close to Feb), so I'm still free those days.  It just means I'm also free the week later.

I might be able to make it either Mon. or Thurs., but Mon. is better.  I have relatives that live near Westminster and Littlestown.  Thanks!  Hope this works out!

Thurs seems to work better for most people posting at this point.  I'm hoping it works out too.  There are so many on the Hive I'm looking forward to meeting!  

Thurs seems to work better for most people posting at this point.  I'm hoping it works out too.  There are so many on the Hive I'm looking forward to meeting!  

IMO, the best day is the one on which the most people can attend.  I'll juggle and make it work.  I plan to come unless the weather's bad or I'm sick.  I'm excited about meeting everyone!

Ok--that was fast. She got back to me. The church is available:

Thursday March 12th

12 until 3:00

Church gym (it's ugly--be prepared! But huge. There are fold out tables and chairs if we want to sit and eat.)

Kid's play area (is not ugly--is very nice, but littles would have to be supervised by parents--we can all sit in there if we like while we watch the littles. Only littles allowed in the ballpit/slides etc. Just like at McD's.)

Kitchen (sinks, fridge, microwave, whatever is needed if we want to bring snacks).

We'd need to tidy up after ourselves. There are things like balls and hula hoops to use in the gym. Those would need to be put away. If we leave crumbs, we'd have to vacuum them up. We'd need to look over the bathrooms and make sure there aren't any messes in there.

I can be sure cleanup gets done and if someone else can offer to help, too, that would be awesome.

Creekland--if you think this will work, then it might be time to send all the people who responded to this thread a personal message and try to get a head count.

:party: Two hours away from me (I have to go out of my way for a river crossing :lol:) So excited!

Two hours away! Oh boy! We'd better make this a special event if people will be making 4 hour round trips to meet up. We'll at least need name tags. Hive names and real names.Maybe some sort of easy snack food, especially for those who will have traveled? There are a few tiny restaurants in town (the town is only 1 mile square.) Diners, pizza joints, 2 Chinese places, and McD's for travelers who get hungry.