Menu

DD10.... help with learning LEFT/RIGHT

Apparently I read something to ds about thumb dominance when you grasp your hands, because he remembers whatever the results of that were and uses it to check.  I think we read somewhere it's genetic, so if you clasp your hands together it will be the same thumb on top each time, making a dependable check.

DH still has trouble with this and he's in his 40's.  When I tell him to go left he has to hold up both hands, put out his index and thumb to form a corner (approx 90 degrees) and see which one makes the L for left.  Of course that means you have to remember which is actually the shape of an L and which is the reverse.  Didn't help my kids at all.  But it did help DH.

DH still has trouble with this and he's in his 40's.  When I tell him to go left he has to hold up both hands, put out his index and thumb to form a corner (approx 90 degrees) and see which one makes the L for left.  Of course that means you have to remember which is actually the shape of an L and which is the reverse.  Didn't help my kids at all.  But it did help DH.

Exactly!  Mine too!  It's weird to me, but every single time, he has to stop and think about which way is left (though he doesn't have to hold up his hands).    If we are driving, I both point and say which direction, out of habit.

Just a weird glitch he has.  It isn't going to change after all these decades, and it hasn't had a major effect on anything.  He just has to take the extra step to think it through, rather than just respond instantly, as most of us do. 

I wonder if it can be taught?  Or it is just an oddity that some people have? 

Left/right , over/under confusion are often associated with the umbrella dx of dyslexia. 

I live with dyslexics. "Turn left. No, the other left." is a usual driving conversation.  

OP if she's right handed, I agree the write/right thing is helfpul.

The L in the air thing never helped anyone here because well, letters don't look right to them either.

You could also do nail art (or get nail stickers) on her thumbs. A Leaf for the left thumb, a Rose for the right thumb for ex. 

Which one makes an L doesn't work for me, because I have a hard time telling which one makes an L (even though I never, even as a child, reversed L or had trouble reading). You write with your right doesn't help me, because unless I am have a pencil in my hand, I don't know which that is.

Being an experienced driver helped me a lot, because left hand turns are much harder than right hand turns. So now I think about making a hard turn, and that direction is left. The other direction is right! (Note that it's easier for me to identify left than right - it's possible I'd have had an easier time as a kid if someone had tried to get me to reliably identify left, rather than right.)

Left/right , over/under confusion are often associated with the umbrella dx of dyslexia. 

I live with dyslexics. "Turn left. No, the other left." is a usual driving conversation.  

OP if she's right handed, I agree the write/right thing is helfpul.

The L in the air thing never helped anyone here because well, letters don't look right to them either.

You could also do nail art (or get nail stickers) on her thumbs. A Leaf for the left thumb, a Rose for the right thumb for ex. 

Well, that might work. 

The L thing was never done here, and so far as I know, husband is certainly not dyslexic. 

But instead of "the other left", I say things like, "Turn right up here, while also holding my hand forward so it can be seen peripherally, and gesturing "that way".   ;)

Instead of a sticker on one of her hands, how about a watch or a bracelet? That's a lot less stigmatizing.

Even as an adult, I find myself having to "make the L", but I can't abide having things on my hand, don't even like having to wear bandaids, so that's that.

Focus Moves includes some posters/activities to work on left/right.  We've done them a little, but not intensively yet.  You start off by doing them gross motor and then you add in speech.  Our VT (dd's) have them identify up/down/left/right for an E shape.  We did it with flippers, patches, all sorts of ways, all sorts of sizes.  I would assume if you did it that intensively, working on it 5-10 minutes a day for several weeks, you'd probably get a breakthrough.  The Focus Moves posters were more diverse, with handslapping games where you would read the R/L and chant as you did it, gross motor (like directing planes on an aircraft carrier), etc.  Those were considered more advanced posters, which is why we've only done them a dab.  So there's a lot of foundation they want you to build with bilateral function before you try that.  Of course if you want to work on it in isolation, maybe it will work?  Just would have been a big leap for ds.

Yes, we had a lot of "the other left" with dd before VT.  It resolved with those up/down/left/right exercises in VT.  She had bilateral issues and did OT as well.  And she's not dyslexic.  

With ds it's a bit different.  He's just sort of ungrounded spatially, so things flip and move and exist more directions.  

I'm not sure if this will help you feel better, but I still have to hold my hands out and mutter "left, right" to myself to remember.  I almost always tell people to go left when I mean right.  DH and I have a standing joke, if I tell him to turn left when driving he asks if I mean my left or his.  I'm left handed though.  I was messed up in elementary school when the told me to "just do the opposite" for everything.  :001_rolleyes:

Something simple that you could try?

Is to have her practice tossing something from hand to hand back and forth.

Saying Left-Right-Left,etc, as she tosses it.

Left and Right, are something we concieve of, as opposing points.

Their is no Left without Right.

Where tossing something from hand to hand, develops a stronger concept of the hands as opposing points.

You could tie some beans in a small piece of clothe, and use that for tossing.

Third the watch. That's the only way I ever figured it out. Until I was working in hospital in my 30s (and had to take my watch off for hygiene) I always wore it on my right hand. Now, I can feel the watch there even when it isn't, so I know. Get a tough, waterproof one. I've destroyed more watches than you can imagine. :-} I could never figure out the L thing, and I don't know which hand I write with. Drove my mother (and everyone else) nuts, until I got a watch.....

I was so happy the day when I was about 10 and discovered that my hand with a birthmark on the palm was always left. What a relief!

Oddly my kids have had no issues whatsoever (they must get it from dh!), and at their young ages have already moved on to righty-tighty, lefty-loosy, which I did not "get" until I was about 30.

I keep flipping my hands over Palm to back..which one is supposed to be left? Because the right hand makes an l with the palm up you know😃. My wedding ring is how I can tell the difference. A watch or bracelet comfortable enough to be left on all the time would work. I recently had to remove my ring and am lost again until I get it resized. For some of us, it is not something that can be learned, but we can adapt the environment to give us the cues we need.

Have her study a string instrument :) OK, that might be a bit much work just to teach left and right, but to this day my right hand is my violin bow hand--that is the strongest association I have with "right". Guitar would work as well--you strum or pluck with the right hand. A trombonist works the slide with the right hand. A pianist or harpist plays the high notes with the right hand... Hey, maybe learning to play an instrument isn't such a crazy way to teach right and left differentiation after all ;)

Can your DD remember which hand she holds her fork in? Which hand she writes with? Which hand she brushes her teeth with? Which hand she uses for buttons and zippers and hairbrushes? For opening doors? For holding a drinking cup? Unless she is totally ambidextrous and switches back and forth for everything, it seems there ought to be some daily activity that she so habitually uses a dominant hand for she could use it as a reference.