Menu

Please HELP! Switch from Singapore to Beast Academy? Stressed...

tammyw

I am kind of at my wit's end. We used Singapore with my daughter (she is now in grade six and doing her last year with it). It went well. Yes, it was VERY challenging at times, but we survived (and she isn't what I would call particularly mathy).

My son is 8.5 and doing grade 3 Singapore Math. It is NOT going well anymore. I've threatened to send him to school because of how badly it is going (sorry, I'm just being honest in how incredibly raw and frustrated I am).

A little about my son - 8.5 years old, very active little boy, doesn't like to "do school" (took him a LONG time to learn how to write). He is a good reader but he doesn't choose to read "for fun" nearly as much as his sister (who has always been an avid reader). "Doing school" stresses him out. He is bright, inquisitive, loves to explore, experiment, and play. But he doesn't like to sit and do work. He would be a perfect candidate for unschooling, imo, but I'm not sure I'm cut out to handle a pure unschooling student (we've always been a little bit unschoolish, but at the same time, I feel security in providing curriculum to guarantee we're learning). He is radically different from my daughter, which isn't a bad thing, but it is challenging me to my core. He is active, has so much energy, and simply Wears.Me.Out. The word exasperated comes up in my brain a lot.

I probably need to post a general post about how to best teach a child like this. Sitting still and doing workbooks and book work just isn't working, at all, and I'm ready to cry. At the same time, I cannot imagine him in a school setting. It would be infinitely worse because I know he'd be labeled as a problem child, probably with several diagnoses.

So I KNOW I need to continue homeschooling (and he WANTS to continue homeschooling) but I need help before I throw in the towel. I'm so frustrated.

Today after soooo much frustration with some two step word problems in Singapore (he has always been bright, very math oriented, bu sometimes just gets SO sad and stressed out when doing Singapore). I thought he'd grow out of it, becuase I thought "hey, he's bright, and Singapore is challenging, so it will challenge him", but it's become clear that it isn't working.

I pulled out the Beast Academy 3a Guide and Practice books I bought a couple years ago when I wanted to take a look at it. So far, he loves it, but will it last? Truth is, he is a HUGE fan of graphic novels, so already this is a plus. I just don't want to switch in the middle of something and find in two months "oh darn, this isn't a good fit either".

Please help! I am really desperate for some guidance and feedback.

A little about my son - 8.5 years old, very active little boy, doesn't like to "do school" (took him a LONG time to learn how to write). He is a good reader but he doesn't choose to read "for fun" nearly as much as his sister (who has always been an avid reader). "Doing school" stresses him out. He is bright, inquisitive, loves to explore, experiment, and play. But he doesn't like to sit and do work.

I probably need to post a general post about how to best teach a child like this. Sitting still and doing workbooks and book work just isn't working, at all, and I'm ready to cry.

Can't comment about the BA part.  I do have an energizer bunny who just turn 9.  For the reading portion in math, he does it walking or standing.  For the working out part of math, he read the question, sometimes take a walk and then stand/sit still enough to write out the working and answer. My this kid did his SM2-5 work sprawl on the floor, and still  does that for AoPS work. He reads plenty of non-fiction but his fiction is mainly assigned readings. 

Well, you already *have* both, right?  So it's not like it would cost you anything to switch.  And if, in two months, you decide BA isn't working either, why, you still have SM.   If you decide by then that neither of them works, well, it hasn't cost you anything in the meantime, so...why not?

As to how to school him...if you've got a workbook heavy program that's going to be tough.  A high-energy kid needs something that is ENERGY.  So if you're doing workbooks, can you at least break them up with trampoline, running around the block, pogo sticks...

Well, you already *have* both, right?  So it's not like it would cost you anything to switch.  And if, in two months, you decide BA isn't working either, why, you still have SM.   If you decide by then that neither of them works, well, it hasn't cost you anything in the meantime, so...why not?

As to how to school him...if you've got a workbook heavy program that's going to be tough.  A high-energy kid needs something that is ENERGY.  So if you're doing workbooks, can you at least break them up with trampoline, running around the block, pogo sticks...

technically I have BA 3a, but half the workbook is filled out. And more than money, I'm just trying to minimize more disruption, since I don't think that would be good either (especially because of the ground we would lose).

I honestly see no reason not to try BA. You already own the books. He seems to like it. If he still likes it at the end of 3A, you can buy 3B. You don't have to make a long-term decision at this point. Many people toggle between Singapore and BA just fine. We didn't use Singapore at all until after BA 4B when we were waiting for 4C and we switched to Singapore 5A/B. The transition wasn't a challenge for us. We just don't do Singapore style word problems with the bar graphs.

My ds who really liked Beast is rotten at those Singapore multi-step problems. The way they're worded an presented just doesn't click for him. But he did really well all through Beast and likes math. Beast is also in depth, but in a really different way from Singapore, IMO. So I think it's very much worth the try.

Don't worry too much about disruptions. You can always go back. It'll be okay. Really. :)

I switched from SM to BA and it was easy peasy. They are both common core aligned so they both cover the same material in a school year, albeit in different ways and in different order.  So, if BA doesn't work out you can always jump back to SM.  That is one good thing about Common Core for me as a homeschooler. I am no longer afraid to try a new thing to see if it is better.

FWIW, you only use the graphic novel part of BA occasionally. The actual work of the curriculum is in the workbooks. And, much to my son's dismay you don't read in the comic every day. It's more like once a week or so, and you could go for more than a week without needing the comic book. So, you read and then you work for a few days in the workbook until you hit a certain page. Then you go back to the comic book. My son was initially very disappointed  by that, so I like to give new users a heads up.

And my mathy kid was an absolute horror over SM. I was also thinking of sending him to school. He cried and complained and it was horrible. It was ruining our whole day. My older boy got through SM pretty easily. But my younger son, who is actually better at math than his older brother, just hated SM. I switched to BA and math became one of the easiest parts of my day. I have no idea why.

I switched from SM to BA and it was easy peasy. They are both common core aligned so they both cover the same material in a school year, albeit in different ways and in different order.  So, if BA doesn't work out you can always jump back to SM.  That is one good thing about Common Core for me as a homeschooler. I am no longer afraid to try a new thing to see if it is better.

FWIW, you only use the graphic novel part of BA occasionally. The actual work of the curriculum is in the workbooks. And, much to my son's dismay you don't read in the comic every day. It's more like once a week or so, and you could go for more than a week without needing the comic book. So, you read and then you work for a few days in the workbook until you hit a certain page. Then you go back to the comic book. My son was initially very disappointed  by that, so I like to give new users a heads up.

And my mathy kid was an absolute horror over SM. I was also thinking of sending him to school. He cried and complained and it was horrible. It was ruining our whole day. My older boy got through SM pretty easily. But my younger son, who is actually better at math than his older brother, just hated SM. I switched to BA and math became one of the easiest parts of my day. I have no idea why.

Oh my gosh, you just made my day. Seriously. Your last paragraph describes our house Exactly. I want to cry for your words, as maybe this will be the answer. I appreciate the heads up about the graphic stuff, but still hoping that this will be a better fit. I swear, if math ends our homeschooling (and personal relationship), I will be pretty devastated. But it's going that way. We end up feeling SO angry at each over with Singapore math. It's crazy! And yes, DD1 is way less mathy than he is and somehow he just struggles with it so much.

Thank you for your words. They really help.

You are very welcome, and I am hope that a different math allows things to ease up a little. BA does take some stick-tuitness in a person. If your son has a very low frustration threshold be prepared that BA might not be great for him. But a friend with a dyslexic kid has found BA to be exactly the right math for her son, and I wouldn't have seen that one coming. My son doesn't mind the frustration because every problem is like a little puzzle, it isn't the same thing again and again. I don't think that SM is particularly onerous, lots of people find that it doesn't have enough repetition, but my younger son would look at a page of 9 problems and just fall apart. But give him 15 problems from BA, including two challenge problems and one double challenge and he is a happy boy. :001_huh:

And I am sorry that things are so challenging with your son right now. You say that you think if your son was in school he might have 'several diagnosis'.  Have you considered getting him evaluated professionally?  Sometimes knowing what the two of you are dealing with (and NOT dealing with) can be a huge help. Plus, it might also give you some guidance about what kind of school materials might be more appropriate for him.  For all the challenges I had with my son last year (and there were quite a few) he doesn't seem to be dealing with learning problems and he is neurotypical.

I do wish you the best of luck in finding what is the right path for the two of you. It really can be so hard sometimes.

I'd just like to comment on only using the comic textbook for school once a week-ish.  That is true, but my DD loves them, re-reads them in bed at night.  For weeks when they first arrived she carried them with her wherever we went so she could read through them.  I think they're great!  Using them to 'teach from' as we actually sit down to do school was only a small part of their use for us, especially as she had already read through them multiple times!

eta - we switch back and forth between BA and singapore, when DD wants a break from BA - she finds it challenging - she goes to singapore, which is like a break for her brain :lol:

And I am sorry that things are so challenging with your son right now. You say that you think if your son was in school he might have 'several diagnosis'.  Have you considered getting him evaluated professionally?  Sometimes knowing what the two of you are dealing with (and NOT dealing with) can be a huge help. Plus, it might also give you some guidance about what kind of school materials might be more appropriate for him.  For all the challenges I had with my son last year (and there were quite a few) he doesn't seem to be dealing with learning problems and he is neurotypical.

I might have been heavy handed in saying that he would have several diagnoses... it's just that it seems that kids who don't fit the mold have problems in school. Well at least that seems to be my second hand experience from what I read. I don't think there's anything wrong with him, but the things I mentioned above just make him very different from his sister. He's high energy, loud, demanding, spirited, etc. But then again, I can be loud, demanding, spirited, etc. so I'd say he comes by it honestly :)

My 9yo Active Boy is zig-zagging between BA and SM3 this year. :) He loves it. (We ditched the workbook for SM because he finds the review tedious, and he does admittedly love math, but the zig-zagging is not hurting him at all. We're going sequentially through both systems + some Khan Academy thrown in there just for fun, too. And xtramath.com for the rote memory facts.)

Not directly answering your question, but I personally can't stand SM. Simple truth. The way the questions are worded drives me batty. I don't like bar diagram models. Give me algebraic set ups anytime. You know what, I have strong math students in spite of their growing up not using SM. SM is not the only way to develop strong math skills.

I can't comment on BA bc I have never even seen it.

But, if math is a fight, switch to a different approach, but solid math program. You can get the same benefit of SM word problems by supplementing from sources like HOE's verbal book. (Hey, my older kids didn't even have that. ;) ) Plain ol' Horizons is all my older kids used and still managed chemE or  300 level math courses while still in high school.

Always more than one path........

Just a quick comment, DD is kind of good with word problems but I didn't quite know this until we reached Pre-A AOPS. Many of the SM word problems were just not connecting well with her, so I used other materials to cover this particular area, even using BA 3 when it first came out when we were in MM4. I think if you were to look at AOPS Pre-A, you'll find that word problems can be challenging without being convoluted, if that makes sense. So BA is like that, good word problems that won't have kids crying over just the wording of it. Not just kids, even adults.

I have an active child who generally does better work with fewer but varied math problems, although I am now starting to incorporate review. She loved BA, still does in fact, as I tend to buy them as they are released even though we are now in algebra.

Switching at this age from BA to SM to MM or whatever is fine. I don't know why people worry about it so much. Many of these are strong programs. I did it just to give us variety although I did have a general outline of what had to be covered before moving into AOPS.

Well that sounds a lot like my younger kid.  We did BA 3A, but I can't say that it was magical.  He is about 9.5 now and just VERY recently he has gotten more cooperative.  What helps is I let him jump around as much as possible.  We've got an exercising trampoline, elipse, and now a Rody Max.  I keep lessons short.  He's a bright kid, but oh he does not like most school stuff. 

But, if math is a fight, switch to a different approach, but solid math program. You can get the same benefit of SM word problems by supplementing from sources like HOE's verbal book. (Hey, my older kids didn't even have that. ;) ) Plain ol' Horizons is all my older kids used and still managed chemE or  300 level math courses while still in high school.

Always more than one path........

Thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it. Can you tell me what HOE's verbal book is?

I have to admit that the wording of Singapore's Word Problems sometimes have me scratching my head (and a few times, it made me almost question my intelligence...) It's definitely not been a perfect road, using their products.

My son sounds a lot like yours. We do Beast Academy, but sometimes towards the end of sections problems get very challenging, but on the other hand, some of the beginning easy problems he will have a hard time with because he tries to make them too complicated, so he will (on his own) skip ahead and do the challenge problems with ease.

We also do Hands On Equations with the Verbal Problems. It is nice to have some manipulatives at a higher level of math, though ds gets a bit carried away with having the pawns and dice do battle. He can easily set up the verbal problems and write out the equations now, he still enjoys the war games though. It mixes in really well with BA, and the set up of the word problems is better than some of the Singapore problems I did with older ds.

My son sounds a lot like yours. We do Beast Academy, but sometimes towards the end of sections problems get very challenging, but on the other hand, some of the beginning easy problems he will have a hard time with because he tries to make them too complicated, so he will (on his own) skip ahead and do the challenge problems with ease.

We also do Hands On Equations with the Verbal Problems. It is nice to have some manipulatives at a higher level of math, though ds gets a bit carried away with having the pawns and dice do battle. He can easily set up the verbal problems and write out the equations now, he still enjoys the war games though. It mixes in really well with BA, and the set up of the word problems is better than some of the Singapore problems I did with older ds.

Thank you for your input! I quickly looked at the link provide above for the HOE Verbal equations and it looked a bit confusing to me. I'm wondering what exactly I would buy, and how do I know for sure it won't be confusing? I'm having a stressed out time of this, in part because I've been sick, and being sick has added to the anxiety I've felt over this math issue. I'm feeling like a bit of a failure right now.

Thank you for your input! I quickly looked at the link provide above for the HOE Verbal equations and it looked a bit confusing to me. I'm wondering what exactly I would buy, and how do I know for sure it won't be confusing? I'm having a stressed out time of this, in part because I've been sick, and being sick has added to the anxiety I've felt over this math issue. I'm feeling like a bit of a failure right now.

If you go to the product page and click on parent materials(having a hard time pasting a link) we started with the first one, the Hands On Equations Learning System. It instructs on how to use the pieces and had simple equations that increase in difficulty, as well as a sample of some of the verbs problems. Then large we got the book with the 300 verbal problems further down the page. I have to admit we bought these with the charter school money, they are pricey. i have found it worth it, and the real meat and value of the program is the verbal problems but they were a lot easier for me to teach after having done the teaching system. The verbal problems are leveled so you can start them after doing some of the lessons in the kit.

All you really need is the student replacement pack and the verbal problems book. There is an intro booklet that demonstrates how to use the manipulatives, but the vb has completely worked out solutions, so you could probably figure it out on your own.

HOE is basically a visual algebraic set up vs. bar diagrams. Pawns represent your variables, dice your constants. The scale is the equal sign.

Say the problem boiled down to 5x+2=12. The student would have 5pawns and a 2 on one side and 12 on the other. They learn in Order to keep the scale balanced, if they remove 2 from one side, they must remove 2 from the other. If they divide by 5, they divide by 5, etc.

All you really need is the student replacement pack and the verbal problems book. There is an intro booklet that demonstrates how to use the manipulatives, but the vb has completely worked out solutions, so you could probably figure it out on your own.

HOE is basically a visual algebraic set up vs. bar diagrams. Pawns represent your variables, dice your constants. The scale is the equal sign.

Say the problem boiled down to 5x+2=12. The student would have 5pawns and a 2 on one side and 12 on the other. They learn in Order to keep the scale balanced, if they remove 2 from one side, they must remove 2 from the other. If they divide by 5, they divide by 5, etc.

I'm with 8. We use SM CWP, and I just think algebraically. It hasn't been difficult for my son to set up problems algebraically because he's played a lot of Dragonbox. We have HOE, but haven't yet started it. You might see if Dragonbox is helpful for you as well.   

I'm with 8. We use SM CWP, and I just think algebraically. It hasn't been difficult for my son to set up problems algebraically because he's played a lot of Dragonbox. We have HOE, but haven't yet started it. You might see if Dragonbox is helpful for you as well.   

My kids have really enjoyed Dragonbox!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what to do. Beast academy started out well enough. Today we worked on page 80 of the 3a workbook - perimeter. I spent hours trying to teach him this page. I went over each problem trying to illustrate it in about four different ways to try to help him understand. He could not get it. I'm so frustrated. He's not a dumb kid. He breezed through Singapore 2 last year SO easily. This year is just struggle after struggle. His handwriting is appalling because he hates to write. I feel like an utter failure. I don't know how to go on. If we only ever have time for math because it is SUCH a struggle much of the time (and if I don't sit there with him during his work it won't get done at all) then what? Nothing else happens, period. For him or my daughter. Right now I'm thankful she is at a charter part-time and pretty self motivated (she is doing classes a year above her level - she's doing well). I really feel like I've failed him.

On the other hand, he is loving Timez Attack (we just paid for a year subscription), wanting to do mental math for multiplication (even though he's not getting a lot correct), and reading Murderous Maths.

I am having a very bad, no good day :(

I'm sorry it isn't getting a little better.

Start with what is working.

I know you are not comparing your ds and dd but it sounds like you have two very different learners on your hands and at times it is throwing you for a loop. Been there and done that.

It sounds like he does well with online material i.e. Dragonbox and TimezAttack. Have you tried adding in something like the online Math Prodigy. Or if it is still in your comfort level what about something like Life of Fred. A little out of the box but might be up his alley. Maybe it is a case that neither BA or Singapore is the right fit for him. Why do you think Singapore stopped working?

As for his writing, do you mean you can read his math problems or his overall writing is bad? Can you maybe rewind a little and give him shorter writing assignments in hopes it takes a little pressure off?

I know it is was probably hyperbole, but when you realized it was taking that long to complete the page in math, why didn't you stop?

Again, I'm sorry you are frustrated it is not a great feeling to have.

I'm sorry it isn't getting a little better.

Start with what is working.

I know you are not comparing your ds and dd but it sounds like you have two very different learners on your hands and at times it is throwing you for a loop. Been there and done that.

It sounds like he does well with online material i.e. Dragonbox and TimezAttack. Have you tried adding in something like the online Math Prodigy. Or if it is still in your comfort level what about something like Life of Fred. A little out of the box but might be up his alley. Maybe it is a case that neither BA or Singapore is the right fit for him. Why do you think Singapore stopped working?

As for his writing, do you mean you can read his math problems or his overall writing is bad? Can you maybe rewind a little and give him shorter writing assignments in hopes it takes a little pressure off?

I know it is was probably hyperbole, but when you realized it was taking that long to complete the page in math, why didn't you stop?

Again, I'm sorry you are frustrated it is not a great feeling to have.

We do have Life of Fred, but haven't pulled them out in a while. I will try that again also.

I've never heard of Math Prodigy. I'll have to look it up.

I think Singapore Math stopped working because the word problems were too confusing for him.

His printing is bad because he hates to write. I was just throwing that in there because I feel like a failure with his writing also, right now. I'm talking just doing a little copywork. Or even having him fix any words that need to be capitalized and then rewriting it. His b's, d's, and p's are written differently than they should be. His letters are all over the place (e.g some are too big, some are too small). He has a hard time putting capital letters in. It is generally messy. He doesn't stay well on or between the lined pages. His grip isn't a proper grip (I have TRIED helping correct this, I've showed him how, guided him, bought the little grips for the pencil, etc.)

Regarding why I didn't stop the math when it was taking hours - I really thought he would GET it. I didn't want to give up. At this point, I feel like I've given up too many times and that's why he's not doing so well (for example, he hates printing, so when I give him work to do, and he hates it, instead of correcting him on the spot, I figure we will try again tomorrow... This doesn't seem to be working.) I'm just trying to figure out what DOES work. I'm SO frustrated. I seriously doubt my ability to teach him at this point. And yet I cannot imagine him being in a classroom setting. If he has a hard time with one-on-one, I cannot imagine what it would be like in a classroom of 30 kids and one teacher. Disaster for him, I'm sure.

:grouphug:

Don't put so much pressure on yourself. I understand the feeling of not wanting to give up and just hoping that something anything will work.

Here is the link to prodigy:

https://www.prodigygame.com/USA/

I haven't used LoF personally, but I know it has been a welcomed relief for many. Or maybe something like CLE?

As for his writing, have you considered going back to basics? Do you think you will have a major revolt on your hands? Or what about focusing on something like drawing?

Also, some kids do great in a school setting. Doesn't make you a failure or the teacher better, just that some kids do better in different environments.

My daughter is a little younger than your son, but despite being mathy, we've taken lots of detours between different math books, from Miquon to Beast to Zaccaro... Sometimes she just needs a break, and when we come back to whatever she got stuck on a month later, it all clicks and she zooms on. Sometimes I think it's her, truly maturing a little in that month. Other times, it's what I notice and figure out during the break... Like she prefers problems to have a visual context, like much of Beast, or story context, like Zaccaro. I have to invent those for Miquon when it's just a page of numbers... Or she can do some challenging problems if I scaffold, like letting her use a multiplication chart, so I'm making one small element easier.

All that to say, I'm a fan of unschool-ish breaks from math :). Sorry it's tough! I'm with you many days!

:grouphug:

Don't put so much pressure on yourself. I understand the feeling of not wanting to give up and just hoping that something anything will work.

Here is the link to prodigy:

https://www.prodigygame.com/USA/

I haven't used LoF personally, but I know it has been a welcomed relief for many. Or maybe something like CLE?

As for his writing, have you considered going back to basics? Do you think you will have a major revolt on your hands? Or what about focusing on something like drawing?

Also, some kids do great in a school setting. Doesn't make you a failure or the teacher better, just that some kids do better in different environments.

I appreciate the gentle words.

Actually, that is EXACTLY what we are doing with writing. Totally back to basics. I think it's the only way. So every day I am having him practice neat handwriting. Does he like it? Not particularly, however, he is getting a little neater, so that is something, right?

Hugs! Some days are like that...

This is what my "mathy" kid was like at that age too. When I say he's mathy, he's not a math genius by any stretch, but he does really enjoy math and is pretty decent at it, at least as problem solving and math thinking (he's slow at computation, though he's fine at it). But I made the decision in first grade to just let him jump around every single time he was frustrated. I mean, not every time. Sometimes we had to push through. But I kept different resources on hand and let him jump around. Don't like this anymore? Whatever. And now for something completely different. And I feel like it worked. And his frustration levels are so much better now that he's a little older that he can tackle more.

Basically, all I'm trying to say is... I think it's okay if you jump around. I know some people have really dire warnings about it when it comes to math, but I think it'll shake out okay in the end.

I don't know what to do. Beast academy started out well enough. Today we worked on page 80 of the 3a workbook - perimeter. I spent hours trying to teach him this page. I went over each problem trying to illustrate it in about four different ways to try to help him understand. He could not get it. I'm so frustrated. He's not a dumb kid. He breezed through Singapore 2 last year SO easily. This year is just struggle after struggle. His handwriting is appalling because he hates to write. I feel like an utter failure. I don't know how to go on. If we only ever have time for math because it is SUCH a struggle much of the time (and if I don't sit there with him during his work it won't get done at all) then what? Nothing else happens, period. For him or my daughter. Right now I'm thankful she is at a charter part-time and pretty self motivated (she is doing classes a year above her level - she's doing well). I really feel like I've failed him.

On the other hand, he is loving Timez Attack (we just paid for a year subscription), wanting to do mental math for multiplication (even though he's not getting a lot correct), and reading Murderous Maths.

I am having a very bad, no good day :(

That was a tricky page! My son just did that page this past weekend. Page 78, problem 55 had two stars and it wasn't hard at all for my son. Page 80 had no stars and it was so much harder. They started off on page 77 with side lengths of 1 then they switched to making a hexagon side length 5. My son didn't get they way they explained it in the book. He figured out how many sides if you separate each figure, then took colored pencils and colored in the lines that you have to subtract when you push them together.

So for example in number 59 asks: Five squares are arranged as shown [it is arranged like a plus sign] Each square has a perimeter of 7. What is the perimeter of the shape they make? This is how he solved it.

1. If you separate the Five squares they have a perimeter of 35

2. He took a red pencil and drew one line on the bottom of the top square and another on the top of the middle square because those don't get counted for the perimeter. He drew two more red lines where the the squares got squished together.

3. I stopped him and asked if you put the four lines together to form a square what's the perimeter. At first he said 4, then when I re-read the question he said 7 and wrote 35-7 then with a blue pencil drew the four additional lines where the square meet and figured out those would be 7. So he subtracted 35-7-7 and got 21.

I tried to explain it they way it is solved in the back and he didn't get it at all. The colored pencils and cuisinaire rods have helped him when he gets stuck.