Menu

Still having trouble with French....

DD12 (7th grade) really wants to learn French. I've registered her for French classes multiple times and classes have been canceled last minute every time. Another class just popped up locally, so we're registered for that and I hope it doesn't get canceled because we'd like conversation practice. I'd also like to get her going in a solid program at home so that she's set in any case.

Our high priority wants for a homeschool French class:

• Explicit grammar instruction
  • Built-in review
  • Clearly delineated lessons
  • Multiple levels so that she can have 2-3+ years of high school French on her transcript

Nice, but not absolutely essential:

• Enrichment/cultural activities
  • Secular
  • Visually appealing layout 

This is my kid who LOVES CLE, so if you're familiar with a French program that is put together in a similar way, she'd be thrilled.

I've had similar trouble and am just at the place where we go with whatever. She's currently doing online G3 (though I don't think that an hour once a week plus homework is enough to progress much). But we also do some duo lingo and translation and then she'll do another 2 weeks at concordia language village. Maybe it's fine for middle school language. She's still very much a beginner.

Have you considered Galore Park SYRWTL French?

I haven't used it, but from the sample pages on their website there is:

-Explicit Grammar

-Clean, attractive layout

-3 levels

-Completely secular.

Plus *lots* of positive reviews in this forum. It's definitely on my radar for the future.

We tried French in a real live setting but DD didn't like it as much as Spanish. We tried it on our own with different books such as Breaking the French Barrier (excellent by the way) but I really wanted her to have conversational time which costs a lot one-on-one.

As we are more serious about Spanish and Chinese, I finally was able to enroll her online here, http://www.clrchomeschool.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=300

I already had the book that the teacher is using, but it's definitely much better with someone who can correct her pronunciation and carry short conversations. She's done very well last semester and will continue. The teacher has a doctorate degree and speaks several languages including Japanese, Arabic, and Mandarin.

If an online class is not an option, I would go with Breaking the Barrier French. It covers most of what you want, but the layout is large font, black and white text, simple format, nothing fancy, so not exactly what you would consider visually appealing to some people, although exactly the type of book I like. It's a great book, but without that live interaction, it just turns a kid into a great French grammarian who can fill out worksheets but cannot carry a conversation. I tried looking for an online tutor, but even that I find too expensive. CLRC is a satisfactory compromise for now, but as I said, French is not our top language priority.

The PP mentioned Galore Park. I have their Spanish version which is also great, probably more inline with what you like in terms of visually appealing format.

I used Galore Park French and found it a well-designed and logical programme.  I don't think that the oral side is as complete as it could be, however - it was not designed for home educators to use, so there is an assumption of oral practice with a teacher.  

I tended to do the exercises in written form, then the next day we did them orally to review.  I also led conversations using the vocabulary learned in the chapter.  If your French is not that fluent, you might want to combine GP with a more immersion-based oral programme.

We tried French in a real live setting but DD didn't like it as much as Spanish. We tried it on our own with different books such as Breaking the French Barrier (excellent by the way) but I really wanted her to have conversational time which costs a lot one-on-one.

As we are more serious about Spanish and Chinese, I finally was able to enroll her online here, http://www.clrchomeschool.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=300

I already had the book that the teacher is using, but it's definitely much better with someone who can correct her pronunciation and carry short conversations. She's done very well last semester and will continue. The teacher has a doctorate degree and speaks several languages including Japanese, Arabic, and Mandarin.

If an online class is not an option, I would go with Breaking the Barrier French. It covers most of what you want, but the layout is large font, black and white text, simple format, nothing fancy, so not exactly what you would consider visually appealing to some people, although exactly the type of book I like. It's a great book, but without that live interaction, it just turns a kid into a great French grammarian who can fill out worksheets but cannot carry a conversation. I tried looking for an online tutor, but even that I find too expensive. CLRC is a satisfactory compromise for now, but as I said, French is not our top language priority.

The PP mentioned Galore Park. I have their Spanish version which is also great, probably more inline with what you like in terms of visually appealing format.

Is dd doing the online Chinese or French? Is the Chinese book called Integrated Chinese? Thanks!

Is dd doing the online Chinese or French? Is the Chinese book called Integrated Chinese? Thanks!

We are just doing the French online as other languages (other than German) were not offered until this semester. DD already has Chinese live classes during the week, so we really don't need any more. We are thinking of enrolling in Arabic or Japanese in addition to French. There are very few kids per class, so the problem is actually finding enough interest to open up another language course (please let some kids be interested in Arabic or Japanese :)). CLRC is a great place to learn (we've taken several classes) but there are very few kids who enroll. I suppose it's a good thing as there is more interaction with the teacher.

It's Integrated Chinese that the teacher is using. I'm not familiar with that book as it appears that MeiZhou and ZhongWen seem more popular for Saturday classes here.

Jade, I thought your kids already speak and write Chinese. Were you thinking of an advanced class for them?

We have been doing Chinese for years without much success. The readings and writing are very difficult. We have not done Chinese since end of May. :-(

I find that it's so much easier to enroll kids in Saturday classes. I know many kids hate it (example, almost all of DD's classmates) and liken it to prison (seriously kid?) but DD loves it and finds it entertaining to have 5th grade boys blubbering. I guess if you don't live in a diverse city, you may not have that kind of opportunity.

I am also having problems with my daughter and French. I had heard good things about Mr. G French classes on CurriClick. So I checked into them. I emailed him and he responded that he teaches French 1 & 3 in the fall and French 2 & 4 in the spring. Each level is a separate class that is a semester long. The classes meet 3 days a week where they can ask questions and practice speaking. He gives test also. Mr. G homeschooled 6 of his own children and has been teaching for a while. I only wish I had found out about this sooner, because now I have to wait till next year for French 1 to start again, but once she gets started she will have French 1 through 4 done in two years.

Dd tried Mr. G's Russian class for one semester. The pace was really slow.

My Ds has self-taught herself French. She is at the point now where she is watching Disney movies with the French soundtrack and understanding the gist of almost all of it,even if she doesn't understand every word. She can read at a level where she can understand El Mundo de Narnia.

She used SYRWTLFrench 1, then switched to Breaking the Barrier (completed all the levels), and alternated BtB with French in Action(using all of the components.....audio, video (the videos are free on the Annenberg website), and books. She is at the point now that we need someone to read compositions in French. We recently found out that there is a local chapter of Alliance Francaise. She is going to their monthly meting this month. You might want to see if you have a local chpt BC some of them offer classes and all sorts of support since the purpose is to help spread appreciation for French and French culture.

http://afusa.org

• 2 weeks later...

I can't recommend Potter School French strongly enough. Madame S is fabulous. There are middle school and high school levels and optional conversation classes.  After two years with Madame S, my dd did college French at 16 and they asked her to be a major.  Now, my dd is not a genius, but she was superbly prepared for college level work. Potter School's program uses BJU's French text. Every single problem was assigned and checked in detail.

Now, if I could find an arabic, latin, or chinese program that has similar excellence.......