Menu

S/O....mammogram or thermogram?

Isabella

I hope I have the terminology right...pretty sure it's thermogram, but correct me if I'm wrong.

What do most people go for these days? I'm 43 in the middle of this year, and I've yet to get my breasts checked. About the time I turned 40 I was about 9 months out from chemo and radiation for Hodgkins lymphoma, so probably subconsciously I was not wanting to even go there. And it's only now that a few times lately I've heard about age 40 being the recommended age to begin regular mammograms. And, I have to be honest, from what my mil has said to me about mammograms, I'm very nervous of getting my books squashed between two surfaces! So if a thermogram is an option, I think it sounds less...well..scary!

I don't even think thermograms are offered here--my doctor definitely didn't mention it to me.

For me, the mammogram was not an unpleasant experience, and I am small breasted.

The thing I question is, my tissue is really dense (interesting thought because, though small, they are floppy little things) so I had to have an ultrasound anyway.

So, I have always wondered why not skip the mammogram and just go straight to ultrasound?

I will be interested in seeing what others have to say about thermograms so thanks for posting this.

I've never heard about thermograms around here either.  I've been getting mammos since my early 30's, I had a lumpectomy back then that was benign and a strong family history.  I'm also small and while it's definitely uncomfortable, I've never found it painful.  Mostly just awkward.

I usually get sent for an ultrasound as well.  I just had mine for this year but if I remember, I may ask next year if we can just go right to the ultrasound.

I'm not familiar with thermography but found this FDA link indicating it is not meant to entirely replace mammograms. I doubt it would be covered by my insurance even if it were an option here.

I've had two digital mammograms, and though they aren't pleasant, they aren't worth fretting over. I would describe some of the squeezing as uncomfortable to painful, especially when they tilt the platform to get shots from an angle, but it lasts for only a few seconds and is really no big deal. I need to get this year's mammo scheduled soon.

Mammograms really aren't that bad. I was worried about it because I am large-chested and I knew that I would get called back because I have fibrocystic tissue. I did end up getting called back for a 2nd mammogram with ultrasound and then for a needle biopsy and then for a lumpectomy. It was benign, but the whole process was actually okay.  I have had three mammograms since then and haven't had to have an ultrasound followup for any of them because they have a baseline on me now.  

Thermograms are not usually covered by insurance, but I'm pretty sure that my current HMO insurance doesn't cover mammograms before age 50 these days unless there are additional risk factors  (thanks Obamacare!) So I'd have to pay out-of-pocket either way. I have dense b00ks so I'd rather go with the thermogram. I haven't decided yet when I'll start getting the screening but I turn 38 this month so I'm thinking maybe another 2 years.

I don't even think thermograms are offered here--my doctor definitely didn't mention it to me.

For me, the mammogram was not an unpleasant experience, and I am small breasted.

The thing I question is, my tissue is really dense (interesting thought because, though small, they are floppy little things) so I had to have an ultrasound anyway.

So, I have always wondered why not skip the mammogram and just go straight to ultrasound?

I will be interested in seeing what others have to say about thermograms so thanks for posting this.

I too have really dense tissue, am small chested and require an ultrasound each time.  I can say I have had two mammograms so far and both have actually been quick, easy, and no pain involved.  A little discomfort a couple of times, sure, but no actual pain.  

I had two or three thermograms because they were required by the NP I was seeing for hormone replacement therapym but they changed their policy to allow mammograms, so that's what I get now. I had a lump a few years ago, and found a dedicated breast radiologist who is wonderful and very thorough.

Thermograms are not usually covered by insurance, but I'm pretty sure that my current HMO insurance doesn't cover mammograms before age 50 these days unless there are additional risk factors  (thanks Obamacare!) So I'd have to pay out-of-pocket either way. I have dense b00ks so I'd rather go with the thermogram. I haven't decided yet when I'll start getting the screening but I turn 38 this month so I'm thinking maybe another 2 years.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Obamacare mandates that insurance companies cover a screening mammogram for ages 40 and up every one or two years with no copayment/cost sharing required. (If a diagnostic mammogram is needed, it would be charged as a medical procedure, not preventive care, so insurance would be billed accordingly and co-pay, co-insurance, and deductibles would apply depending on the insurance coverage.)

My insurance does cover mammograms as preventative care starting at 40.

I researched a while back and thermography isn't a replacement for mammogram. My insurance won't cover it either.

I don't find mammograms painful at all, or at least it hasn't been to this point for me.

Thermograms are not usually covered by insurance, but I'm pretty sure that my current HMO insurance doesn't cover mammograms before age 50 these days unless there are additional risk factors (thanks Obamacare!) So I'd have to pay out-of-pocket either way. I have dense b00ks so I'd rather go with the thermogram. I haven't decided yet when I'll start getting the screening but I turn 38 this month so I'm thinking maybe another 2 years.

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/10/aca-doesnt-restrict-mammograms/

Mammograms take a matter of seconds for each view--and there are usually 4 views (2 per breast) if I recall correctly. Some women do find them painful, but most don't. The technicians I've had are really good: professional and caring and it is not at all a big deal.

I am not sure at all about the reliability of thermograms.

Mammograms take a matter of seconds for each view--and there are usually 4 views (2 per breast) if I recall correctly. Some women do find them painful, but most don't. The technicians I've had are really good: professional and caring and it is not at all a big deal.

I am not sure at all about the reliability of thermograms.

ITA with this. I'm 42 and have had 3 mammograms so far. I've had the same tech each year, and it's really been no big deal at all.

I had a normal mammogram...and then a 3D mammo plus an u/s because of dense breasts and cysts.

If you can, I'd seek out the 3D technology if available as it leads to fewer false positives (or so I've read).

I'll also add that many insurance companies do not require you to have a referral from your OB.  I know that mine sent me postcards and emails reminding me to get my mammogram and stating this.  

Obamacare/ACA covers mammograms starting at 40.  It also covers BRCA screening for high risk women.  However, note that your insurance companies regular in-network type rules apply.

https://www.healthcare.gov/preventive-care-benefits/women/

Only screening mammos are free of copay or coinsurance. More pics turns it into a diagnostic mammo which will be treated in billing like any other procedure. An ultrasound followup will also be treated like any other procedure.

My experience is similar to CW....a callback before the AFA didnt result in extra expense.

CW said that Obamacare didn't cover mammograms before 50 which is not true.

I've had a callback with diagnostic mammo and u/s recently.  Yes, I had to pay a normal copay to the radiologist, but other than that, both were fully covered.  My guess is, however, that one couldn't go in and get an u/s to start unless a previous mammogram had proved it necessary.  I'm due for a repeat u/s in March... so I guess I'll find out. :)

Well...as with everything there are always conflicting opinions even among doctors.

My naturopath recommended thermography to me - but I have not done it yet. This may be the year I will since I am turning 50.

Duing Thermography nothing touches you at all. It records any areas of inflammation. According to doc, the first thermogram is used as a baseline, all following recordings are compared to it.

She also said, it often detects small changes much earlier because inflammation is usually present when something is not right. Key is to find someone who is trained in the procedure.

I believe CW meant that before Obamacare, mammos were treated like the annual physical....no fee at all, even with call back for more pics and an ultrasound. That isnt the case now, and a woman walking in for her baseline needs to be prepared for the added expense. Not everyone is paying copay or coinsurance, many are paying the full price for both the procedure and the radiologist if they have not met their deductible for the year. This cost needs to be taken in to consideration when choosing plans....with 1 out of 6 women having bc in her lifetime, it would be wise to have at least ones deductible plus the coinsurance set aside.

Annual mammos are not subject to the deductibles, co-pays, etc under Obamacare. Only diagnostic ones. This is actually has been how mine works for at least 11 years (since I started having them) but part of that was having good insurance. Insurers didn't used to be required to cover them outside of deductibles, etc but they could. Some did, some didn't. Now, most have to, which is good for women.

I don't know much about the thermograms, but I'm not sure why they don't do screening ultrasounds.  The yearly radiation just doesn't seem like a good idea.  Are ultrasounds really that much more expensive than X-rays?  

In terms of deciding the benefits of mammograms at earlier ages, I found this article interesting:

40 yo https://www.sciencenews.org/sites/default/files/images/mammo_chart_40.jpg

50 yo https://www.sciencenews.org/sites/default/files/images/mammo_chart_50.jpg

I don't know much about the thermograms, but I'm not sure why they don't do screening ultrasounds.  The yearly radiation just doesn't seem like a good idea.  Are ultrasounds really that much more expensive than X-rays?  

In terms of deciding the benefits of mammograms at earlier ages, I found this article interesting:

40 yo https://www.sciencenews.org/sites/default/files/images/mammo_chart_40.jpg

50 yo https://www.sciencenews.org/sites/default/files/images/mammo_chart_50.jpg

Ultrasounds are best for zeroing in on a specific area. I am guessing that it  would take for-ev-er to do an ultrasound of two breasts unless the woman was very flat-chested.