Menu

What ingredient in GF breads is most likely

Jean in Newcastle

Brown rice can be difficult to digest. I am GF, and you will not like this, but GF products are better for occasional use, rather than every day.

ADDING: Oats are one of my largest offenders and a lot of GF products have oats in them.

Since I think that most gf products taste like gummy cardboard, I definitely only use them on occasion!  

I second the Millet Flour vote. I can't tolerate it.

Xanthan Gum is in a lot of non GF foods so I would think you would have noticed sooner if that one was bothering you. I would compare the different flours in the bread to waffles and see what stands out.

Is it a homemade bread from a mix?  Pamela's has tons of bean flour in it and causes me some issues.  So does larger amounts of oils like coconut oil.

Sugar alcohols of any variety.

Are you topping the bread with something with extra oils, such as mayo that's gone off or lunch meat or lettuce that may have caused food poisoning?

Is it a homemade bread from a mix?  Pamela's has tons of bean flour in it and causes me some issues.  So does larger amounts of oils like coconut oil.

Sugar alcohols of any variety.

Are you topping the bread with something with extra oils, such as mayo that's gone off or lunch meat or lettuce that may have caused food poisoning?

No toppings of anything off.  And not homemade.  I don't eat GF breads often but I've noticed that every single time I do (with the exception of those waffles I mentioned) I end up regretting it.  Since that was part of the reason I went gf to begin with, it sort of defeats the purpose!  

What brand(s) are causing the issue?

I'm pretty sure Vans waffles have xantham. The smallest bit of xantham gives my son a headache. Do you have issues with corn? Xantham is derived from corn, which I didn't know for months. I still can't figure out how they get away with not listing corn on the allergens, but the don't.

Someone else mentioned bean flours. I won't eat things with bean flours. They cause issues for me. Most of the Bob's Red Mill are bean flour based. (Just a random FYI.)

Someone mentioned corn - I was going to suggest that, too.

Your idea to compare ingredient lists is the best. I hope you figure it out!

Have you tried Rudi's GF breads? They seem easier for some people than Udi's. Maybe check those ingredients against the Vann's.

I found a generic brand of tapioca pudding cups that were gluten free in a local grocery store.  Perhaps once your stomach has been settled for a week or so you can try something with tapioca in it as a trial, wait a week, then make something like protein powder pancakes with a pinch of xanthan gum in it and see how that works?