Menu

"No gifts please" B-Day Party Question

BigMamaBird

My cousin is throwing his Dd a surprise Sweet 16 pizza party tomorrow at a local restaurant.  It's a drop in when you can sort of deal, not a big shindig or anything.  He sent us a text inviting us and said no presents please.  But I really want to bring her a balloon or a bunch of sunflowers or something.  It feels so weird just showing up on such a special birthday, bringing our herd of locust children to devour all their pizza and not even giving her some small token.  I received my first delivered bouquet of flowers on my birthday as a teen and I remember how special it made me feel!  I want to make her feel loved too.  

Just a simple Mylar balloon is okay, right?  Or a pretty bunch of flowers?  Dh says any gift is a present, but a balloon or grocery store bouquet surely doesn't count.

What says the Hive?

I think it would be fine, though it may take some creativity to find a place to put the flowers (which should come in a vase so they can be put down) where they won't tip over in a potentially crowded restaurant. If there's any doubt in your mind, I'd call or email your cousin, explain what you want to do, and make sure it's ok. When we held a "no gifts" party for our daughter, we told people who asked that we were ok with consumable gifts, but that we'd said no gifts because we didn't have room for a bunch of non-consumable gifts.

Instead of taking flowers, why not have them delivered to  your niece at her home? Then she wouldn't have to find something to do with them at the party and you wouldn't be those people who ignored the "no gifts" request on the invitation.

I do know that sending flowers can be ridiculously expensive, but this might be a way to do something sweet for your niece on her special birthday. :)

I like the idea of a balloon!  I have often used mylar balloons in place of a card- more fun, same or less cost (dollar store balloons)

If this is a neice that you are close to and want to honor with a gift, do so at another time, not that party. Take her out for a special brunch, or a spa day or manicure, or some other "experience" that you know she would enjoy. :party:

Another voice for sending or taking her flowers at home.   (I think flowers over balloons, as that is more of an adult gift - but of course that is just an opinion based on zero knowledge of your niece.)  

When I go to a "no gifts" party without a gift, but see that others brought gifts, I feel like I missed some social code.  I've started putting something small in my purse in case I took the request too seriously.  It's stupid, I know, but it's anxiety-producing.

I've posted about this before, but once we were invited to a no gift birthday party and we were the only ones to show up empty handed. Everyone else came with a gift and the gifts were piled on a table and opened at the party in front of guests. I felt like that was really tacky of the parents to have a typical gift opening when asking for no gifts, and my children were upset. Never again will I show up to a birthday party with no gift. If no gift is asked for, I would at the very least show up with a card with a Barnes and Noble gift card inside.

When I put "no gifts" on an invitation, I really mean it. It makes other guests who have followed directions feel awkward to have come empty handed when some show up with gifts when they were asked not to.

Me, too. I really, really, really wish people would go along with this.

It feels so weird just showing up on such a special birthday, bringing our herd of locust children to devour all their pizza and not even giving her some small token. 

This made me LOL. 

I think you're fine to bring flowers, and I bet they would be appreciated.  Flowers are not a gift that requires long-term storage.  They whither and die, often sooner than we'd like, but at least they don't take up space forever.