Menu

Nothing New 2015 - Anyone wish to do a challenge with me?

Ginevra

I'm still trying to fully define my challenge concept, and I realize some people will not think there is much to this challenge. (Maybe Amy Dacyczyn is reading this and says, "Pfff! I've done that for 25 years!") But I want to do a spending control challenge for 2015. My concept is to purchase no regular merchandise new for the year. Of course, there will be exceptions:

Food, health, and household goods excluded.

Anything Dh, I or my children require for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

I think those are my parameters. Do you want to join in? I thought I could do a weekly update post and we can make our confessions, share our amazing scores, or talk about logistical problems that arise.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the reasoning behind doing this.  There are some things I wouldn't think would be better to buy used (going by my personal situation).  For example, where would I buy used jeans for a 13 year old?  I've been told that the thrift shops around here are terrible for kids clothing (especially boys).  So then I'd have to order them used from ebay?  Which would mean using as many resources as if I just went to the store and bought them.  And it certainly wouldn't save me money after considering shipping.

You can always count on me to be a wet blanket.  Your welcome.  :lol:   really...you might just want to ignore me...

Unless you consider clothing to be part of well being.  And what about shoes?  I can't imagine buying used shoes for my kids.  I wouldn't care for myself because I can fathom an adult female donating shoes they wore once or never wore.

I haven't bought any new clothing for myself in quite some time.  DH neither.

Really the bulk of what I spend money on is maintaining an old house, food, and regular bills like electricity. 

I don't understand the reasoning behind doing this.  There are some things I wouldn't think would be better to buy used (going by my personal situation).  For example, where would I buy used jeans for a 13 year old?  I've been told that the thrift shops around here are terrible for kids clothing (especially boys).  So then I'd have to order them used from ebay?  Which would mean using as many resources as if I just went to the store and bought them.  And it certainly wouldn't save me money after considering shipping.

You can always count on me to be a wet blanket.  Your welcome.  :lol:   really...you might just want to ignore me...

I think in regards to kids' clothing it would fall under the rubric of "cannot be bought used." The thrift shops around here aren't great for kids' clothes either. I'd probably have to travel an hour and a half in each direction to find a good thrift shop for kids. In that case, I would be better for me to stay home and order online (we don't have Target or Walmart here either). I would watch the sales for an online source.

Overall, Quill, I think the challenge is good. We have to control spending this year too, though in our case our Achille's heel is eating out.

I don't understand the reasoning behind doing this. There are some things I wouldn't think would be better to buy used (going by my personal situation). For example, where would I buy used jeans for a 13 year old? I've been told that the thrift shops around here are terrible for kids clothing (especially boys). So then I'd have to order them used from ebay? Which would mean using as many resources as if I just went to the store and bought them. And it certainly wouldn't save me money after considering shipping.

You can always count on me to be a wet blanket. Your welcome. :lol: really...you might just want to ignore me...

Nah, you're not being a wet blanket! This is part of why my exceptions is set up as it is. My teens have uniforms for school, for example, and sometimes I might be able to get uniform components used, but other times I can't. So if I have to, I will buy new.

The challenge purpose is to "force" me to think FIRST about second-hand choices. Also just to keep me from taking the relatively easy road and just go buy things because I'm being lazy and don't want to wait or seek another source.

I do better with a set budget.  

$500 for the year (for 5 of us) for clothing lends itself towards trying to buy used if at all possible, then carefully buying new if we need to do that.

I understand the concept for sure, but for me, strict budget setting works better, with some wiggle room money for emergencies or break downs or broken items that need replacing.

However, if you really want to do a no spend year, I would suggest watching this:

One challenge I should set for myself is being more careful with overbuying food.  I tend to get carried away and then I end up throwing stuff out because it went bad before I could get to it.  I feel terrible when that happens, but I can't seem to stop doing it.

In my defense, certain times of the year produce is hard to buy.  The stuff always had to come from far and so it's always on the older end of freshness.  It is possible that it goes bad by the next day.  That's very frustrating.  In winter I tend to buy more frozen vegetables to avoid some of that. 

However, if you really want to do a no spend year, I would suggest watching this:

Cool excerpt! You know what my first thought was? "i want to download her book!" ;) But no...I'll see if I can reserve at the library...and that is exactly the point of why I want to do this.

I know there are new purchases I have to make this year, but they would fall under the health and safety heading (like a new car seat for DS1). However, I've told my family I'm going to be far more intentional about frequenting second-hand stores and garage sales this year. I'm tired of all the packaging waste every time we buy something new. I'm tired of buying cheaply made new versions of formerly well-made items. I'm tired of spending money on "it'll do for now" stuff instead of patiently waiting for the right time to buy the ideal item, and never having the money for a brand new ideal item.

This is the perfect year because we're paying off some things, saving for our first family vacation, holding off on rebuilding the garden, and not starting on fixing up the house until 2016.

Long story short, challenge accepted.

One challenge I should set for myself is being more careful with overbuying food. I tend to get carried away and then I end up throwing stuff out because it went bad before I could get to it. I feel terrible when that happens, but I can't seem to stop doing it.

In my defense, certain times of the year produce is hard to buy. The stuff always had to come from far and so it's always on the older end of freshness. It is possible that it goes bad by the next day. That's very frustrating. In winter I tend to buy more frozen vegetables to avoid some of that.

i have been considering joining a local CSA for a few years now. i have been afraid of ending up with a backlog of odd vegetables and not enough time to find a good recipe for Kohlrabi or whatever, with the food winding up chicken feed.

I'd like to,join in, with the exception of buying things for my granddaughter. And I have a grandson on the way. I've found that I'm such a sucker when it comes to grandkids. And the oldest is only 15 months. :)

ETA: I do consult my dil before buying things for dgd. I don't want to be one of THOSE grandparents. :)

i have been considering joining a local CSA for a few years now. i have been afraid of ending up with a backlog of odd vegetables and not enough time to find a good recipe for Kohlrabi or whatever, with the food winding up chicken feed.

Yeah I don't want to join a CSA because there are certain things I absolutely will not eat.  I know stuff would end up getting tossed.  I really prefer to just pick what I want in the amounts I want.

Although if it would end up being chicken feed that doesn't sound totally wasteful (unless you were kidding...).

I'd like to,join in, with the exception of buying things for my granddaughter. And I have a grandson on the way. I've found that I'm such a sucker when it comes to grandkids. And the oldest is only 15 months. :)

ETA: I do consult my dil before buying things for dgd. I don't want to be one of THOSE grandparents. :)

Oh so no drum sets?  LOL

That piece isn't the interview piece I had hoped it would be.  She was interviewed by one of the talk shows (can't remember which one now) where she talked more about what it felt like to live this way and how she and her husband actually SAVED $13,000 in the bank living this way in just that ONE year.

I will see if I can find it.

Cool excerpt! You know what my first thought was? "i want to download her book!" ;) But no...I'll see if I can reserve at the library...and that is exactly the point of why I want to do this.

Thanks for starting this thread.  I need a kick in the pants to get back to our old ways of living......very frugal, intentional, and with a mindset to save.

We are now in debt again with the renovations of our home with the purpose of selling, however, if you have followed my other thread, this last home renovation project has turned in to MORE work for us and a longer delay in moving, which means more debt we need to pay.

Dawn

Thanks for starting this thread. I need a kick in the pants to get back to our old ways of living......very frugal, intentional, and with a mindset to save.

We are now in debt again with the renovations of our home with the purpose of selling, however, if you have followed my other thread, this last home renovation project has turned in to MORE work for us and a longer delay in moving, which means more debt we need to pay.

Dawn

Dawn, if you want to join in the challenge with your own parameters, feel free. I don't really care how people want to define their own spending controls, I just think it will be more motivating to have a set of posts to celebrate with one another and stay on track. :)

I can easily imagine saving thousands of dollars just by not downloading a book whenever I learn about one, or mindlessly buying things at Target or wherever because I like it and "needed" one.

In Not Buying It, she talks about how she both saved money and lost weight - a lot of those food purchases that aren't necessary pack on the pounds. (I think they limited food to "necessities" - so meat and produce is OK, as is bread, but crackers weren't).

I'm going to follow along. I know that cash envelopes help me as does shopping used first. I've been pleasantly surprised by used boys pants I've been able to find in 5 min or less for my size 4 and 10. Shoes for those two have been fine, too. I shop at inner city used clothing stores, so it isn't about wealth. Also, an artist "did my colors" and told me to go to used clothing stores and only look at things in those colors (she told me "Black and jewel colors, ONLY". That has transformed my wardrobe because now everything I buy looks good on me and shopping is so fast.

Emily

Can't do it this year. I need a new mattress...is that health related?

However you want to call it. :) I bought a new mattress for us and for DD last year. A car could be our conundrum this year, although even if that happens, it will not be brand new.

I usually try to stay away from anything spending related, because in my head we're already pretty frugal, but...

I'll definitely follow along, at least.  I do want to try.  I'm starting to see why people go gaga over living debt free because I'm feeling like debt is what is keeping us *under*, so to speak.  Having debt keeps us in debt, I think.  And then even when we start to get ahead and get things paid off, something new comes up that we can't control and we get behind again.  So I'm going to try and figure out if there is a way for me to live on less so that our debt can get paid off more.  

We don't currently spend a lot but it's worth a try to see if I can find a way to spend even less.  We did go out to eat 3 times this last 2 weeks (not the norm!  Usually it's 1-2x every 2 weeks) but we got our Christmas bonuses so we could, and in my head that's what matters.  I just counted it as a Christmas present to myself (I don't like cooking - I can do it, I do it all the time, and i'm not bad at it, but, well, I hate it.  :P ) since DH and I didn't exchange official gifts this year.

So anyway, all that to say, I'm in.  In a way.  Sort of.  :lol: :lol: :lol:  

I'm still trying to fully define my challenge concept, and I realize some people will not think there is much to this challenge. (Maybe Amy Dacyczyn is reading this and says, "Pfff! I've done that for 25 years!") But I want to do a spending control challenge for 2015. My concept is to purchase no regular merchandise new for the year. Of course, there will be exceptions:

Food, health, and household goods excluded.

Anything Dh, I or my children require for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

I think those are my parameters. Do you want to join in? I thought I could do a weekly update post and we can make our confessions, share our amazing scores, or talk about logistical problems that arise.

I think everything one might buy would fall in your parameters. They are pretty broad. At that point I am not sure of the utility of the exercise.

I'd choose something smaller but more strictly applied. Like perhaps no eating out or only gifting homemade or recycled things. Or no new clothes for family members.

I think everything one might buy would fall in your parameters. They are pretty broad. At that point I am not sure of the utility of the exercise.

I'd choose something smaller but more strictly applied. Like perhaps no eating out or only gifting homemade or recycled things. Or no new clothes for family members.

I had a similar thought.  I could reason nearly anything into one of those categories.   But maybe she tends to buy tons of unnecessary things so that is something that makes sense to her.

I think a good goal (for me) is to try to be less wasteful in general. 

Yeah, I know it *could* be rationalized this way, i.e., one could say, "I need to buy DS an iPhone, because other kids have them and it would support his well-being to fit in." This is not the way I am thinking of the challenge, though. It's more like: I will not buy things new unless there is no practical way to help it. So, suppose I learn on Friday night that my kid is expected to have some obscure textbook by Monday morning. I might check it out at Half.com, or call the used bookstore, but if there is no other way to get it in time, then I would buy it new.

We are already pretty frugal and spend very little on entertainment or eating out, say. I can't get stingy about gifts, because there is at least one wedding coming up and DD's graduation - those alone will affect what I am willing to do with gifts.

I had a similar thought. I could reason nearly anything into one of those categories. But maybe she tends to buy tons of unnecessary things so that is something that makes sense to her.

I think a good goal (for me) is to try to be less wasteful in general.

Not really, but I have my pockets of spendiness in which I totally forget to attempt to find things used or free - like books, for example. I wander around B&N and I am walking out with books, then I get home and think, "Doh! Did I think it was not possible to obtain three books on knitting at the library???" :)

A good CSA should have a basket for those veggies you don't want. Ours is a pick and share basket. We can put any veggie we don't want in it and take out something someone else has left. At the end of the day the CSA donates the unwanted veggies to the food bank. Ours also includes an email with recipes for the odd veggies.

Not really, but I have my pockets of spendiness in which I totally forget to attempt to find things used or free - like books, for example. I wander around B&N and I am walking out with books, then I get home and think, "Doh! Did I think it was not possible to obtain three books on knitting at the library???" :)

One thing we do is to not just buy stuff on the spot. We put stuff we want on a list. This forces us to think about it rather than impulse buy. Then once it's on the list we can think though all the ways to get it or rather get/solve whatever it is that prompted us to put it on the list. Many things just leave the list because the next morning or week I wonder why I ever thought I needed/wanted/could possibly ever use a cupcake holder thingymajigger. Delete.

I planned and started a buy nothing "unneeded" year (2006 or perhaps 2007 IIRC) but ultimately realized it was pointless. The stuff I was trying to solve, the thinking I was trying to shift was aided more by a very concrete goal in an area that was somewhat hard for me to address.

Interesting thread. I won't be doing the same but I do look forward to watching your progress through out the year.

We had a horrible year in many ways and DH just obtained a second job.

Our goal for the year is to thrive.

We plan on getting our bills caught up and ahead.

Medical bills paid off and money put away towards our high deductible.

Doctor and dentist visits

Fridge, freezer, pantry, toiletries and household products stocked up.

Saving started back, retirement replenished.

School supplies, curriculum, extra curriculars, etc obtained

Some "extras" for DH and I-gym membership back, some clothes, 

a few frivolous items if we can-I would love a jawbone and a makeover (had not had one in about twenty plus years)

and my husband would like some hobby stuff (he likes to work on model airplanes and tanks)

Maybe, maybe a trip to Atlanta to get away for three or four days and to coincide with American History.

few frivolous items if we can-I would love a jawbone and a makeover (had not had one in about twenty plus years

Wait...you haven't had a jawbone in twenty plus years??? And that is frivolous? I'm confused, but I figure you mean makeup making your jawbone looked defined or something?

Not spending a lot doesn't mean being stingy. Time to reread your Tightwad Gazette, lady! :P

Well, honestly, it probably IS time I reread the Gazette! But! If you mean I can or should come up with an inexpensive/not new/handmade or upcycled gift for my nephew's wedding, I must disabuse you of this notion! ;) This is the first-to-be-married child of a certain unruly SIL, whom I may have mentioned here before. A certain one who was just heard loudly declaring that wedding gifts should always be (expense-wise) in keeping with the cost-per-head. Sidebar: While I don't fully agree with that belief (why is what extravagant people are willing to spend on a wedding some sort of standard for me to meet?), nevertheless it does lead me to feel these would not be people who would be super-touched that I knit a blanket from yarn I spun, which I bought from my friend, who raises Alpacas, KWIM. ;) i'm planning to buy some boring china they will never use, yet will register for, just as expected.

Well, honestly, it probably IS time I reread the Gazette! But! If you mean I can or should come up with an inexpensive/not new/handmade or upcycled gift for my nephew's wedding, I must disabuse you of this notion! ;) This is the first-to-be-married child of a certain unruly SIL, whom I may have mentioned here before. A certain one who was just heard loudly declaring that wedding gifts should always be (expense-wise) in keeping with the cost-per-head. Sidebar: While I don't fully agree with that belief (why is what extravagant people are willing to spend on a wedding some sort of standard for me to meet?), nevertheless it does lead me to feel these would not be people who would be super-touched that I knit a blanket from yarn I spun, which I bought from my friend, who raises Alpacas, KWIM. ;) i'm planning to buy some boring china they will never use, yet will register for, just as expected.

I would vote for the knitted blanket made of Alpaca fur, personally. ;)

Well, remember recycled/used doesn't have to be cheap either. :P

If there was ever a wedding to break her expectations...

I've been planning to do this, too, although my parameters are a bit different.  I would like to buy nothing... new or used... during 2015.  Of course this doesn't include food, toiletries, or things like laundry soap and toilet paper.   :001_smile:   My challenge applies to me only.  I'll still buy new clothes/shoes for my kids if needed.  (The catch to this is that I have boys and they never ask for new clothes.  I have to beg them to try on shoes when theirs are completely worn out!)  I won't buy them any frivolous things... but they rarely ask.  I also won't apply my challenge to my husband.  (Not that I could if I wanted to!)

For me, it's more about learning contentment and learning to be a good steward of the things I already own.  These are areas where I *think* I already do pretty well, but this year I really want to push it.  Plus, I am just so terribly tired of stuff.  Tired of owning it, cleaning it, caring for it, moving it around, arranging it, thinking about it, managing it, replacing it when it wears out,........ so why do I ever need to buy more?  On this same train of thought, I also hope to significantly minimize my possessions this year.  We'll see how that goes!   :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you start a weekly thread, I'd love to participate.  (And I'm sorry you didn't get a more positive response to this thread!)  Good luck!

Thanks, Serenity! Yes, I intend to post a thread every week to discuss the week that just passed. Hopefully, some people will also join in as we go along. If it ended up with me just musing into the ether alone, then I assume I would quit posting about it!

P.S., Funnily enough, I have posited the question of a suitable upcycled wedding gift to the exceedingly useful Back Burner of my mind. Perhaps by September, a remarkable idea will have bubbled forth.

I love this idea! I need to contemplate my parameters.

We should cross post to the minimalist group!

I'm game, but I'm not in the minimalist group. Do I need an invitation to join?

I'll follow along. My goals are a little different than yours but I love the idea of taking the time to think about how to borrow, make or find an item used first. I really need to do this myself.

My goals include:

-finish purging house of clutter and staging for its market listing.

-stop shopping, which is just re-filling the house with new clutter.

-save an additional 10% towards moving costs.

-start a cash envelope system for certain expenses such as food, salon, clothes, toiletries.

-start a spreadsheet to divide up what's in the savings for what purpose: emergency fund, vacation fund, moving expenses, etc.

Is that enough goals? Lol!! Honestly, I was happy with the first 3 goals. Then dh decided to add the other 2 which is slightly annoying since he has never taken an interest in our finances whatsoever. Why now? His goals aren't bad, they have merit and are things I probably should have been doing all along. So I'm on board. I've actually been working on setting them up today, so your post is timely. If I know myself, I'll need the accountability.

I definitely don't want to derail but my year using YNAB has been quite telling.

My spending habits are like most habits in my life:  for the most part, driven by desires instead of a pre-determined goal.  Why I am that way is a whole 'nother post :) BUT I digress...

Using YNAB has been a pain.  I have to enter EVERY spend.  It has to be categorized and balanced within our budget.  If I've overspent, I must make a correction to the books.  BUT that is GREAT when you are trying to learn about your financial weaknesses or gain correct a spending behavior you are already aware of.

Here's what I've learned needs to change from my twice weekly entering of each and every spend:

***we are paying waaay too much money on clothes for growing kids

I need to put an end to the whinings of my teen girls about their dislike for what clothes they have.  I've noticed I then get angry over seeing a new item in the closet for months not being worn - then to be given to Salvation Army.  My goal for 2015 is to give them a clothing allowance and TEACH them to budget with it.

***I overspend on groceries EVERY month because as much as I like to say I have a meal plan, I do not.  We eat out and buy food we don't need.  My goal for 2015 is to have a plan and keep to it.  I've learned to cook alot of new and exciting and YUMMY food this year (one of my hopes was to be a better cook).  That is good but buying new ingredients and cookbooks and spending a huge amount of time/energy on cooking new stuff isn't going to be my goal this year.  I'd like to learn to use basic ingredients found at a cheaper/local store while helping us stick to a veggie heavy diet.

***we aren't saving enough given our income - I know recommended savings percentages and if I'm not disciplined about doing it, who will?  I'm the one who handles ALL of our money.  DH isn't going to magically jump into our finances and demand a savings category.  It is my job, I know it, and I'm responsible.

Now the positive:

we've drastically reduced amount spent on eating out compared to years past

we are saving

clothes spending has drastically reduced 

I'm trying to say my use of YNAB has helped me personally examine my own spending, get to know my habits and make/change/attain goals that are extremely important to my household.

Hope this rambling helps, I can hear your desire to do better and I've experienced that same thing this past year.  Wanted to encourage you to go for it. If buying new things is your weakness - know you have a cheerleader over here~!~  go girl!

Momee, that is FANTASTIC! My question: is YNAB a computer program and can it run on a Mac? I considered getting a computer program last year, but stayed with my spiral notebook paper ledger. However, I have not brought my expenses up to date in the last couple of months, mostly because it is hard to stay on top of paper tracking.

I think I've saved a lot of money by staying out of stores this year. Now I need to figure out how to stay off Amazon.

I'm going to consider the challenge, but I'm not ready to commit yet. :leaving:

Feel free to just watch the posts as they occur. Jump in later if you like, or just lurk.