Menu

Plus Sized Clothing Help

earthyfamily

I'm so tired of feeling frumpy.  I'm plus sized and short...awesome I know.  Large hips, large chest area and that infamous baby belly that accompany C-sections for those who are already overweight.  Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy plus sized clothing that doesn't seem frumpy.  I do dress modestly for the most part, no cleavage, dresses/skirts need to come to the knee area at least.  Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Igigi has fun dresses...and great sales.  Be sure to sign up for their emails.  

Ulla Popken isn't bad, but I'm not sure if they carry petite for all things.  I do think they do for some pants.

Soft Surroundings has fun jackets and stuff.

OneStopPlus has tons of different plus size retailers in one stop.  

Style J has fun/funky long denim skirts.  

All of these have good coupons/sales, so watch for them and search for coupon codes at RetailMeNot.  Igigi has great clearance sales..so a $100 dress can be $50 or less.   Ulla Popken often has lunchtime sales, etc. where you can take 40% off one item.  Soft Surroundings has great clearance sales.  OneStopPlus almost always has some coupon code going on.  Style J emails me about sales I want to say every other month.

I get most of my clothes from Lane Bryant, JC Penney, Macys and Old Navy.

Eshakti is great because you can customize what you order.

Do you ever browse plus size blogs or plus size pins on Pinterest? That's where I get a lot of my outfit ideas. They almost always have links to exactly where pieces were purchased. Even if I don't have the exact pieces, I can usually replicate some ideas and create cute outfits from what I have. 

Here are some of my favorites:

Full Figured and Fashionable

Sometimes Glam

Life and Style of Jessica

Girl with Curves

If you are on Pinterest, follow Alexa Webb. She has great plus size pins and outfit ideas. Here she is on Polyvore.

I feel so much better about my plus sized body when I try to dress it well. :)

I just ordered from eshakti and loved my dresses! You can order according to your measurements instead of an off the rack size. This works great for someone like me who is just over 5 feet tall but is a 36D/DD. Much less frumpy than something off the rack because it fits everywhere! I don't mind cleavage (and I don't think it is necessarily immodest), but you can order a different neckline (and customize the length) on most dresses, if you do. When I ordered they were offering free customization the first time you order, and I got a coupon for 30% off when I gave them my email.

I really miss Fashion Bug.  It was my go to store.

Now I use Gwynnie Bee .. have been so pleased with their dresses and I love dressing nicer more often.

I also go to Avenue.  I have to try theirs on because some of the shirts are just huge on me in one size and not in another.   I'm a huge fan of their pants. No gap.  Fit great.

Also have a look at the book The Science of Sexy.  If clothes fit you, but don't suit your body type, it doesn't matter how cute the clothes are...they won't make *you* look your best.  So learn what to look for that suits *you*.

You also might want to look at some kind of dressing system that talks about keeping in similar colour families, for instances some people look better in softened colours, slightly dusty-looking.  Others look better in really rich colours.  Others look better in pure hues...which one suits you best?