Menu

Job on the Line--need help with adult executive function issues

Garga

I have a friend who is in her 50s and has muddled through life even though she seems to have undiagnosed ADD or something along those lines. The problem is that now she's in a job where her boss needs her to pull things together.  She must become more organized, or...possibly no job. It's getting serious.

She seems to have executive function issues:  can't remember to return calls at work, can't keep to a schedule, can't organize the things her job requires her to organize.  She's not doing what her boss needs and it's because of her being scatterbrained and disorganized.

Does anyone have resources for adults with ADD and executive function issues?  She's not a kid with a mom or dad who can help organize her day.  She's not a student who can have an IEP with people helping her.  It's just her, though her boss is willing to work with her and get her any training she needs.  

Does anyone have recommendations on how a 50-odd year old woman can help herself with her scatterbrained, poor executive function ADD ways?   

I would start with her PCP and some vitamin deficiency, thyroid, hormone and blood glucose tests. They can all create focus type issues if there is something amiss. If those come back normal then she may try ADD meds to see if she just needs a bit of a boost.

Does anyone know of any books?  I've heard people here talk about Smart but Scattered, but is that only geared toward parents to help children?  Can an adult use any of the advice in that book?  

Are there resources online or in books for an adult to look through and find tips to implement on her own?  Maybe?  I'm hoping!

She should find a neuropsychologist and get a full workup to rule out any health issues. I do realize the testing can be cost prohibitive but it is helpful.

She should also see about finding a therapist who deals with adult add/executive function. They are few and far between (at least in my area) but they are out there.

Does anyone know of any books?  I've heard people here talk about Smart but Scattered, but is that only geared toward parents to help children?  Can an adult use any of the advice in that book?  

Are there resources online or in books for an adult to look through and find tips to implement on her own?  Maybe?  I'm hoping!

There's a teen edition of Smart but Scattered that might be better for her.

My Dh has adult adhd. Dx'd only after ds was dx'd.

I totally get that her job is on the line. Therefore I'd take a multi pronged approach.

First Call: ADHD life coach. To put a system in place that will keep her functioning at work NOW . The coach will also hold her accountable.

Second Call: If she has always been scattered then go straight to a doc who will test, diagnose, and prescribe stimulant medication. If being scattered is new or much worse lately see pcp or Gyno. My suspicion would be low thyroid and/or female hormones. Be sure to tell the docs that her livelihood is on the line and everything needs to be done quickly.

Long term, she can deal with diagnoses, different medications, dietary changes and possible therapy to choose which options work best for her body and values.

I agree with the doctor.  Maybe even going along with her if she is open to it.  They can run the blood work for thyroid, vit b and d, blood sugars, thyroid and the rest of the stuff and that should be back by the next day.

She might need a trial of meds in order to keep her job and then work on other things.

My Dh has adult adhd. Dx'd only after ds was dx'd.

I totally get that her job is on the line. Therefore I'd take a multi pronged approach.

First Call: ADHD life coach. To put a system in place that will keep her functioning at work NOW . The coach will also hold her accountable.

Second Call: If she has always been scattered then go straight to a doc who will test, diagnose, and prescribe stimulant medication. If being scattered is new or much worse lately see pcp or Gyno. My suspicion would be low thyroid and/or female hormones. Be sure to tell the docs that her livelihood is on the line and everything needs to be done quickly.

Long term, she can deal with diagnoses, different medications, dietary changes and possible therapy to choose which options work best for her body and values.

I agree. An ADHD coach was my first thought in reading the OP. You can google that for your area. Prices vary. If you are a good friend and would be willing to help her out, you could read some books on organization for ADHD people (organizational methods that work for typically-organized people don't work for ADHDers) and help her out. Basically, she will need to set up structures to help her with reminders that get her attention. They might be reminders via post-its she puts up herself and/or emails from the coach or a friend, etc.

I also agree with getting herself in for a diagnosis ASAP. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires businesses to make accommodations for disabilities like ADHD as long as it doesn't cost them a whole lot of money. Since the boss is willing to work with her, that's a good start, but getting a diagnosis and then discussing accommodations might prove very helpful.

I know adults for whom medications made a huge difference. Since ADHD meds are in the system within a 1/2 hour or so of taking them, you can see if they work pretty quickly. It's not like anti-depressants that take a while to build up in your bloodstream.

Definitely an executive function coach. They can also be called an educational therapist, and there's an org that certifies them.  Even with meds she will still need coaching/counseling.  

Organizing Solutions for People with ADHD, 2nd Edition-Revised and Updated: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge...  This book is particularly good and worthwhile for adults.  Your library may have it.  It's one of those where you need to take some time and read the chapter and think through how you handle things and what you need to change.  

Yes, there are some good books like Smart but Scattered, That Crumpled Paper was my Homework, etc.  I remember a whopping *1* idea from them sticking for me, but whatever.  

On a practical level, she needs to get devices that sync (iphone to imac to ipad, whatever, and USE the devices.  I know I have memory problems, so I use timers everywhere.  I set a timer any time I put ANYTHING on the stove, because I walk away and forget.  To me that ability to pick up your phone, talk to it, have it add the note or date on the calendar or whatever just by talking to it, and then have it appear on all your devices is FABULOUS.  

The best calendar is not the calendar app btw.  I use Calendars 5.  In the calendar on your imac you can create multiple calendars and color code things.  Calendars 5 is an app and it will sync with that data.  It shows the calendar with the colors!!!  This makes my life awesome, because I can color code everything.  For notebooks she can use OneNote.  Get a Wacom bamboo tablet and she can write directly into it.  Or take notes directly into the ipad.  You have to get these things and use them.  I also use Wonderlist and Notes, both of which sync between devices.  

Someone on the board some time back suggested monthly notebooks.  I find I don't necessarily need *monthly* notebooks but I do benefit from notebooks for seasons, like a Thanksgiving notebook.  One of the books suggested not using loose paper, and that's when I switched over to making all my notes in spiral composition books, one for each subject.  I'm forever making notes, so now I make them in my notebooks.  I have them for photography, research for ds, research for dd (high school planning), etc.  If I want to watch a Creative Live photography class, I know right where my notes go, into that notebook.  I've filled up volumes of these babies!  No loose paper.

But yes, for things to remember, to me it's all about the technology.  Instead of trying to remember things, I try to make sure I get it into the device that will remember it FOR me and remind me.

An occupational therapist would be the first person I would seek support from for this issue.

Eta: The OT could even visit the workplace and help her actually implement the systems which would be most appropriate to her specific challenges there.

I'd see a doctor and consider meds. The difference medication made to my husband (diagnosed in his 30s) is tremendous.

Reading "Driven to Distraction" was helpful.

My husband is a very meticulous user of organizational apps and reminders on his phone. This really helps him.

I know another adult with ADD who is all about the Franklin Covey system. It works for him. They have training classes that some employers would pay for as professional development.