Menu

Base 2 numbers in sixth grade math

zimom

Is there a reason I need to teach my DD (6th grade math) Base 2 numbers???  I am really confused as to why this is being introduced.  Not to mention somewhat confused by the subject myself  :lol:

I even asked my adult son who obviously has had advanced math much more recently then I have, and he can see no reason why it is being taught.  This is Horizons 6 btw.

I know I'm old but I don't ever remember learning, using or anything about Base 2 and I have a pretty extensive math background.  

It can help kids gain a better understanding of the base ten system and how it affects the ways we work with numbers.

This.

And also so you can appreciate awesome geeky jokes like:

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:

Those who can count in binary,

And those who cannot.

:tongue_smilie:

But really, working through the process of counting in another base, maybe making the equivalent of a hundred table to get the hang of how place value works in general, and then making an addition table and multiplication table and using them to add/sub and mult/div with the standard algorithms - basically repeating the steps of learning to do base 10 arithmetic but in another base - seeing how the algorithms work with fresh eyes - that sounds like an awesome use of an afternoon. (I'm geeking out at the thought - arithmetic in base 5 might be in my future today ;).)

It can help kids gain a better understanding of the base ten system and how it affects the ways we work with numbers.

That's the biggest reason.

What does it mean to have a number be "in the tens place", really?

Although I think that for a first exposure binary is less transparent than computing in something like base 6 or base 8 ... where not everything gets carried immediately.

ok :)  I'll take the time to understand it.  

My adult son asked one of his other geeky friends why she might need to know it, his friend's answer was so that she would understand the Matrix better.  

See, I'm so old it wasn't taught when I was a kid  :confused1:

Although I think that for a first exposure binary is less transparent than computing in something like base 6 or base 8 ... where not everything gets carried immediately.

I agree.

My adult son asked one of his other geeky friends why she might need to know it, his friend's answer was so that she would understand the Matrix better.

Understanding different bases is extremely helpful in working with computers - my major was computer engineering and I got comfortable in base 2, base 8 and base 16 (and actually I'd already had experience in base 16 just from learning the codes for colors in paint programs - it comes in handy even if you don't program).

In my experience, learning to work in another base is like learning another language - the second base is the hardest, as you are wrapping your brain around new ways to refer to the same concept, and things start to really come together when learning the third base, and adding additional bases after that is child's play, because you really *get* how it works and it's easy peasy to apply it to any base you want. And unlike languages, you can learn a new base in an afternoon ;).

See, I'm so old it wasn't taught when I was a kid  :confused1:

Actually, learning about bases other than ten was introduced in elementary math books in the post-Sputnik days ('60's) when math and science education in the US was beefed up.  I thought it was fun then although this was one of the things that parents grumbled about when their kids were introduced to the "new math".

Peter and I were just talking about this.  He wanted to know how Buddy the Tyrannosaurus would count on his fingers, so we spent a while doing t-rex math (aka Base 4).  

We drew t-rex decimal street (from MUS).  First a house that held up to 3 t-rexes. then a house that held up to 12 t-rexes, then a house that held up to 48 t-rexes.  Peter got pretty good at number conversions.  If a person counted 62 acorns they would express that with the number 62, but if a t-rex counted the same pile of acorns they would use the number 332 to describe the quantity.

Next he wants to try counting with an octopus.

Wendy

Peter and I were just talking about this.  He wanted to know how Buddy the Tyrannosaurus would count on his fingers, so we spent a while doing t-rex math (aka Base 4).  

We drew t-rex decimal street (from MUS).  First a house that held up to 3 t-rexes. then a house that held up to 12 t-rexes, then a house that held up to 48 t-rexes.  Peter got pretty good at number conversions.  If a person counted 62 acorns they would express that with the number 62, but if a t-rex counted the same pile of acorns they would use the number 332 to describe the quantity.

Next he wants to try counting with an octopus.

Wendy

This is a great way to do it.

For examples in more adult series -- in Larry Niven's known-space series, the Kzinti (alien pseudocats who have 4 digits) count in base 8 -- and it's pretty cool how consistent they have been, with them talking about things like 'eights of eights of eights of warriors'

I remember learning how to convert into base 2 in the 6th grade, and that was some 20 years ago. I thought it was an awful lot of fun, and spent many hours being bored in class doing conversions into different bases to keep myself awake as the years went by.

Really, if you can do decimal math, binary is simple. You have your 1s place, just like in decimal. That's 2^0. Then you have your10s place, just like in decimal, but in decimal that's ten times 1, and in binary it's two times 1. Then you have your 100s place, except instead of being ten squared it's two squared. The 1000s place is two cubed, and so on.

Re: the earlier joke:

There are 10 types of people in this world.

There are those who understand ternary, those who don't... and those who thought this was gonna be some kind of binary joke.

We learned it in 2nd grade in public school (20+ years ago, alas).  It was very cool then, I thought.  

The only thing it teaches, conceptually, as far as I understand it, is an important thing - what do place values *mean*?  How do numbers actually work, what do they actually represent?  It's kind of like learning a second language (only much easier); it teaches you something about how language itself works, what it's for, what it means.

Base 2 instead of anything else because it's the easiest, and the point is not the base itself but the concept that there are different ways to count/organize groups of things.

Not only does it help with understanding of place value, you can count to 512 on your fingers using a base 2 system.

Or you can count up to 6561 using a base3 system, where touching the top part of your finger with your thumb is a 0, the middle part is a 1, and the bottom part is a 2.