Menu

Sports glasses?

SKL

The eye doctor recommended prescription sports glasses since my kids are in sports (specifically we were discussing soccer).  The BB gun discussion reminded me that I wanted to ask about this here.  Has anyone here bought their kids prescription sports glasses to protect against broken glasses going in the kids' eyes?  What did they cost and are there any cons?  Anyone know if they have them at WalMart?

The best price is at Walmart.  I looked at Target, BJ's and Costco.  I paid just under $80 for the frames and lenses which transition for sunglasses.  We were getting them for baseball and I took his baseball helmet to make sure they fit well under it.  That ended up being a good thing because not all of the frames worked will under his helmet.

I wouldn't have thought of getting the sports goggles at age 9, but my dad fell on a sidewalk last year.  He fell on his face and knocked himself out.  His wire framed glasses ended up cutting the space between his eyebrows and across the bridge of his nose REALLY, REALLY BAD.  He needed a plastic surgeon to come do the repair.  It looks good now, but was not fun for him to get that numbing shot between his eyes!!!

I always wished I had some. I had one pair broken by an elbow while playing basketball. It really hurt!

(It wouldn't have helped for the other two breaks. One was by a classmate accidentally smacking me while doing The YMCA at camp. The other was caused by tripping and falling into the doorjamb at my piano teacher's house. That one required stitches and the blood ruined my new first-day-of-school shirt.)

We got ours at Wal Mart and I don't remember the cost but Wal Mart was cheapest.  We have had the lenses changed several times (at least 5) as ds has had his eyes get worse every year.  My ds that wears them is now 16 and being recruited to play his sport in college and he still wears them.  He likes them and didn't want to do contacts.  By now he feels like they are his trademark. :)

A vote here that they are well worth the investment. My son wore them for many sports until he could go to contacts. It is to dangerous to wear regular glasses because if you get hit hard enough and the frame breaks pieces could end up severely injuring an eyeball.

Our son used Rec Specs until he started wearing a contact.  The only problem we had was that his prescription required such a thick lens it was very difficult to get it to stay in the frame.  A few times it popped out during a game and we had to keep putting it back in. They had to remake his lens 3 or 4 times and thin out the edge a bit because the frame wasn't designed for a lens that thick.  

My son has them because he plays hockey (for contact sports they are generally required for safety), but he wears them as much as his regular glasses. We had Transitions lenses put in--best decision ever. He wears them biking, running, skiing etc etc and having the sunglass option has been hugely beneficial. We got them at LensCrafters. Not inexpensive, but essential for his active lifestyle.